+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 210 FirstFirst ... 18 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 38 78 128 ... LastLast

Re: New York Yankees 2012-2013 Offseason Outlook

Quote Originally Posted by ieddyi View Post
    Didn't Torii have some negative comments about Boston fans?
    Doesn't everyone?

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

Quote Originally Posted by SatchelPaigeYankee View Post
    I kinda like it:

pros:
    Hunter and Ichiro help address some of our BA deficiencies
    Hunter as a pt-DH will help keep him fresh, given his age (37)

cons:
    Hunter is likely due for a tank season after a great one last yr
    depending on how much Hunter and Ichiro want, this could be expensive
    Ichiro is likely due for a[nother] tank season after a short resurgence last August/Sept

all 4 hitters have flaws, but they also have good upside. Girardi would have a tough job balancing all 4 getting playing time, and I fear Gardner would end up the odd-man out, because he's the least veteran.
    I would like to see the Yankee brass sign Torii Hunter and re-sign both Ichiro and Raul Ibanez, but that will be me being greedy and those signings have to be at the right price.
    I think Hunter with a 1-year deal with an option for 2 will work. If Hunter wants 3+ years, forget him and move on.

I think Brett Gardner deserves to play everyday when healthy because of mobility and speed.

An OF defense of Granderson, Gardner and Hunter is nice or even Ichiro, Gardner and Hunter will do.

Ibanez can be the backup 1B and permanent DH, but he wants to play on the field too.
    "Losing is not my enemy, fear of losing is my enemy." - Tennis champion Rafael Nadal

Would love if the team got their hands on Soria but I'm sure some club is a) willing to guarantee him a closer spot and b) pay him more.

Quote Originally Posted by ElDandy View Post
    Would love if the team got their hands on Soria but I'm sure some club is a) willing to guarantee him a closer spot and b) pay him more.
    This. Also add on still being less than a year removed from Tommy John. His agent made that quote because he wants the Yankees involved for obvious reason$.

I also hate spending money on the pen. Cash has shown that he is more than capable of bringing up arms from down below and off of the scrap heap to be effective.
    “He's a clown. Guy says he's from the 209, what the ................ is that?

-CC Sabathia on Dallas Braden

Today We Spell Boss- George nyybronxbomber73's Avatar

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/1...tin-upton.html

Jon Heyman: 1 update on upton: previous no-trade list was changed. had been nyy, bos, cubs, cle. tough to keep up w/ his lists!

hoping he takes nyy off that list!

No way he (or any player) will go out of their way to take the Yanks off of their no-trade. The Yankees are popular on no-trade lists because agents know that they can squeeze a large extension out of the Yankees to get the player to waive their no trade.

Quote Originally Posted by nyybronxbomber73 View Post
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/1...tin-upton.html

Jon Heyman: 1 update on upton: previous no-trade list was changed. had been nyy, bos, cubs, cle. tough to keep up w/ his lists!

hoping he takes nyy off that list!
    I also don't want a breadcrumb of Justin Upton in a Yankee uniform. Ain't gonna happen.
    "Losing is not my enemy, fear of losing is my enemy." - Tennis champion Rafael Nadal

Quote Originally Posted by Chacon View Post
    No way he (or any player) will go out of their way to take the Yanks off of their no-trade. The Yankees are popular on no-trade lists because agents know that they can squeeze a large extension out of the Yankees to get the player to waive their no trade.
    He did, though. The Yankees aren't on the list of no-trade.
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

NYYF Legend

not a fan of justin upton... his name is hard to make any sexual references out of unless i really try to square peg it (justin upmyass-ton? justicklemyball upton?)
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chacon View Post
    This. Also add on still being less than a year removed from Tommy John. His agent made that quote because he wants the Yankees involved for obvious reason$.

I also hate spending money on the pen. Cash has shown that he is more than capable of bringing up arms from down below and off of the scrap heap to be effective.
    Suarez tells Marchand that Soria is "not a greedy individual," and he could envision his client signing quickly if the right situation arises.
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/1...ZdkezSoHoL1.99
    Fistpumping like a champion.

NYYF HOF

Get me j-up cash!

NYYF Legend

Calif. — The Yankees are so serious about dropping under that $189 million luxury tax threshold for 2014 that, according to a source briefed on their plans, they would not even do a two-year contract in the $20 million range with Torii Hunter, The Post has learned.
    Though Arizona’s Justin Upton has become available at the GM Meetings, a person involved in discussions said, “The Yankees are not on him.”
    The Yankees want to solve right field by committing as few (maybe zero) dollars to 2014 as possible. In fact, if they need to go to two years to keep Kuroda (which they might not agree to do either), it would all but assure not one cent of 2014 money is put toward right field.
    http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/yanke...D9UcmxzhfFAAGJ

I am okay with passing on Hunter, he could be a great fit, but risk the next contract is buying high.

J Upton though...THAT is a player I want the Yanks in on.
    Goin for 2<strike>7</strike>8!

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by goin for 27 View Post

I am okay with passing on Hunter, he could be a great fit, but risk the next contract is buying high.

This would be understandable if the Yankees had any kind of track record developing players. I don't see this self imposed cap going over well. Especially with the ridiculous ticket prices.

Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung4Vazquez View Post
    This would be understandable if the Yankees had any kind of track record developing players. I don't see this self imposed cap going over well. Especially with the ridiculous ticket prices.
    Then they need to get better at it.
    Okay Hal and Brian, I might be a sucker, but you got 3 more years to fix it!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung4Vazquez View Post
    Missing the PS a few years and declining attendance, might force Hal to reassess what it means to own the Yankees and not the Twins or Royals. We shall see.
    [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]We do not see things as they are. We see them as we are.

It is never too late to be what you might have been.
    [/FONT]

the Cubs didnt think Haren was healthy enough to trade for him. big surprise.
    http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...harens-health/
    . . . a long-time AL source who has watched Haren over the past several seasons confirmed to me that medical questions were the main reason the trade fell apart, with the Cubs having serious concerns over Haren’s back stiffness that sidelined him for a part of the 2012 season. Also, hip issues and a noticeable drop in his velocity that forced him to pitch differently than when he was a dominant power pitcher.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by nnysiny View Post
    the Cubs didnt think Haren was healthy enough to trade for him. big surprise.
    http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...harens-health/
    Said it right after the trade was off. I don't want the Yankees to offer him any guarantee money more than $3M, if they are interested in him.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    Said it right after the trade was off. I don't want the Yankees to offer him any guarantee money more than $3M, if they are interested in him.
    Why not just say you don't want Haren at any price. Which is OK if you don't want Haren.

But it's kind of like saying "I don't want the Yankees to offer Josh Hamilton more than $15M per or more than 3 years."

It is an unreasonably low figure that he'll easily be able to exceed on the open market.

I'd love it if a bunch of stars wanted to come to New York on below market incentive laiden deals but it isn't going to t happen.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

I'd give Hamilton 3/90. Easy.
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    I'd give Hamilton 3/90. Easy.
    Ehh - I don't know. He played 148 games this year and that was the most since 2008.
    I have a feeling his best days are behnd him.
    Pass.
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by goin for 27 View Post

This doesn't please me.

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    This doesn't please me.
    The Hunter thing is a bummer but I just don't think they have the horses to get Upton and they realize that.

They want young major league (not prospects) talent for Upton........the Yankees never had a chance.

Cashman needs to always remember that saving money is meaningless if he doesn't construct a winning team. When it comes to baseball, the general rule is that the less money you invest in making your product, the less money fans will invest in buying your product.
    SI: Do you have a secret ambition?
    Igawa: That's secret.

"They should just practice during the regular season and show up for the playoffs -Ichiro on the Yankees

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mark19 View Post
    Cashman needs to always remember that saving money is meaningless if he doesn't construct a winning team. When it comes to baseball, the general rule is that the less money you invest in making your product, the less money fans will invest in buying your product.
    I'm not sure Cashman is the one you should be directing this message at.

I'm disappointed about Hunter -- I thought he would be a good short term fit for this team
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Thread Information