+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 210 FirstFirst ... 17 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 37 77 127 ... LastLast

Re: New York Yankees 2012-2013 Offseason Outlook

Quote Originally Posted by BeantownYankee View Post
    The Red Sox have shown interest in Torii Hunter, Rob Bradford of WEEI.com reports. Hunter, a free agent, has previously expressed interest in playing in Boston alongside David Ortiz.
    "I'm open to anybody, especially if David is there," Hunter told WEEI.com in late August. "David is one of my guys. We were roommates in Minnesota and he's one of my brothers.”

Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#RydsoscEbKOw9AQ6.99
    Didn't Torii have some negative comments about Boston fans?
    MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGRESSIVE

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyDamonfan View Post
    Then this is a no brainer. Cash should definitely do it. But, here's a question, does Soria really want to be the 8th inning guy? He might go somewhere where he could get a guaranteed closer job for 2013.
    He has publicly stated that the Yankees would be the only team he would accept a setup role for and that he would really love to play and work alongside his idol the Mighty Mo Rivera.

He has also said that money isn't a big issue. Im a little worried that Cash won't be all over this b/c A. Robertson is set as his setup man and B. He would want to allocate those funds somewhere else.

Edit: He also wants to play for a contender. Seems too good to be true.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/1...nterested.html

Im going to be extremely perturbed if he doesn't make a try at him.
    Fistpumping like a champion.

This is our future. JohnnyDamonfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by just-blaze View Post
    He has publicly stated that the Yankees would be the only team he would accept a setup role for and that he would really love to play and learn alongside his idol the Mighty Mo Rivera.

He has also said that money isn't a big issue. Im a little worried that Cash won't be all over this b/c A. Robertson is set as his setup man and B. He would want to allocate those funds somewhere else.

Me too! It looks like the ball in the Yankees court now. And Cash would be stupid to not be all over this. Get Soria, maybe nab a hitter and/or a starting pitcher in a trade. And we'd be pretty set.
    Still and will always be a New England Patriots fan.

[quote=THEBOSS84]You may be my favorite poster on the site. So sweet and innocent.[/quote]

I like Soria, and I think he'd boost our bullpen significantly, but it's just not worth it to pay a reliever that much. Giving Mo his $$ is fine, but we can have one of the best bullpens in the league by building from within and grabbing some retreads.

I'm assuming Soria doesn't come extremely cheap.

Don't call it a comeback False1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by just-blaze View Post
    He has publicly stated that the Yankees would be the only team he would accept a setup role for and that he would really love to play and work alongside his idol the Mighty Mo Rivera.

Edit: He also wants to play for a contender. Seems too good to be true.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/1...nterested.html

while it may be true, you can't ignore that it's always a good FA strategy to keep the Yankees at the table when teams are placing their bids.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jcarey View Post
    I like Soria, and I think he'd boost our bullpen significantly, but it's just not worth it to pay a reliever that much. Giving Mo his $$ is fine, but we can have one of the best bullpens in the league by building from within and grabbing some retreads.

I'm assuming Soria doesn't come extremely cheap.
    I think it depends what the contract is. If the Yankees can get a (relatively) team friendly contract that extends past next year, it could be a longer term move. But, yeah, he's not a must-have without knowing his cost.

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    while it may be true, you can't ignore that it's always a good FA strategy to keep the Yankees at the table when teams are placing their bids.
    Completely agree with this. It's a bit early to tell what the motivation is for that statement
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

we are not at 2014 yet, so why not.

although it's kind of like the last bite of the cake before the revolution
    always reasonable

Soria would be awesome, but with Robertson getting pitching the 8th, he'd be somewhat wasted. The Yanks also have a pretty dominant relief prospect in the wings, so there's that. I'd prefer a Byrdak/Uehara type for the middle innings.

The gerbil lives Zimmers' Helmet's Avatar

I'm really not understanding the excitement surrounding Soria. The Yankees already have Mo coming back to close, and one of the best setup men in the game in D-Rob. What role is Soria supposed to fill, and what are the expectations from a pitcher coming off TJS?
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmers' Helmet View Post
    I'm really not understanding the excitement surrounding Soria. The Yankees already have Mo coming back to close, and one of the best setup men in the game in D-Rob. What role is Soria supposed to fill, and what are the expectations from a pitcher coming off TJS?
    I don't understand the excitement either.

Soria was great in his first four years - absolutely. But, he was a pedestrian pitcher in 2011 and then underwent TJS before the 2012 season.

Would we be getting the Joakim Soria of 2007/2008 or 2011?

If he can be had for a low base salary with incentives, fine. But, as some have suggested, to sign him to a contract that approximates the option that was declined and the potential option that was in his contract ($8M & $8.75M) is, to me, ill advised.

We have plenty of good, young arms on the farm - I would rather see them give Mark Montgomery be given a shot at making the jump from AA and take the 6th/7th role.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

NYYF Legend

depth is a good thing, as last year showed us that anything can happen

plus, do you expect mo to keep on pitching until he's 50? at some point, he's gonna have to retire, and having an experienced closer to potentially step in and take the reigns seamlessly would probably be good for the state of the bullpen
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

Quote Originally Posted by flymick24 View Post
    depth is a good thing, as last year showed us that anything can happen

plus, do you expect mo to keep on pitching until he's 50? at some point, he's gonna have to retire, and having an experienced closer to potentially step in and take the reigns seamlessly would probably be good for the state of the bullpen
    Sure, depth is a good thing, and they already have bullpen depth with Mo, D-Rob, Joba and Phelps leading the way, and Montgomery waiting in the wings.

Just seems like a waste of resources to give a big contract to a reliever who hasn't had a good season since 2010 and coming off TJS. Signing Soria isn't a need as much as it would be a luxury. I'd rather see that type of money spent on a starter.

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post

Soria was great in his first four years - absolutely. But, he was a pedestrian pitcher in 2011 and then underwent TJS before the 2012 season.

If he can be had for a low base salary with incentives, fine. But, as some have suggested, to sign him to a contract that approximates the option that was declined and the potential option that was in his contract ($8M & $8.75M) is, to me, ill advised.

We have plenty of good, young arms on the farm - I would rather see them give Mark Montgomery be given a shot at making the jump from AA and take the 6th/7th role.
    Couldn't agree more.

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post

Given the Yankees focus on reducing payroll I think there's a zero chance Montgomery breaks camp with the Yankees. He will be kept at AAA to delay his arbitration eligibility.

This is our future. JohnnyDamonfan's Avatar

I think it's very important if we pick up Soria. I know Soria just had major Tommy John surgery, But, Mariano just came off major surgery as well. I know it's not the same thing. But, I truly believe we need all the help we can get. Just in case God forbid the surgery affected Mo's Performance for 2013.
    Still and will always be a New England Patriots fan.

[quote=THEBOSS84]You may be my favorite poster on the site. So sweet and innocent.[/quote]

why do people not like Robertson
    EvilEmpireDC: Fans bitch about anything lol

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vanderlay View Post
    Given the Yankees focus on reducing payroll I think there's a zero chance Montgomery breaks camp with the Yankees. He will be kept at AAA to delay his arbitration eligibility.
    Making that move won't affect their payroll for years after 2014

Hopefully after 2014 when they reap their windfall, the Yanks will go back to using their most potent advantage $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGRESSIVE

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    I think it makes some people feel better when the guy has the Proven Closer™ label.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

A couple of minor moves yesterday:

For the second straight day the New York Yankees made a waiver claim, actually they pulled off two Tuesday. First, the Yankees grabbed right-handed reliever David Herndon from the Toronto Blue Jays, and then snagged southpaw Josh Spence from the San Diego Padres.
    http://yanksgoyard.com/2012/11/07/ya...in-california/
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

NYYF Legend

it's not that people don't like robertson (he's actually one of my favorite players on the team and i wanted him to close over soriano last year when mo went down)... but if soria is wiling to take a deal that works within our financial parameters just to play with mo, i can't see the downside, especially with soriano now gone and with the suckage that will come with pitchers like eppley and rapada returning to the mean... i don't think anyone is saying to break the bank for him

btw, not sure why people are counting on aardsma for anything... he wasn't a very good pitcher before he got hurt, save one year in 2009
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

Thinking Soria is better doesn't mean you don't like Robertson.

i wouldn't say soria is better. but the longer you keep robertson on the cheap slot the less y;ou have to pay him.

yes i realize this paying some dude so you don't have to pay another dude is sort of dumb logic but the 2014 cap is soon and robertson is a long time piece while soria probably will not be.
    always reasonable

Soria just came off his second TJS 6 1/2 months ago. Its only a guess as to what he will be able to do and when he will be able to do it.

He's a risk for most of 2013, but could be huge for 2014 and beyond (post-Mo). Any offer should address both the risk and potential reward ... low 2013 base with incentives, plus an option year or two at market value for late inning relievers. The options can automatically vest (and potentially escalate to closer pay) based on usage.

If he pans out, he gets paid and the Yankees have him in 2014 at a reasonable AAV, due to the lower 2013 salary.

If he doesn't pan out, the Yankees aren't out much and it doesn't affect 2014 at all.
    “Everything looks nicer when you win. The girls are prettier, the cigars taste better. The trees are greener.”—Billy Martin

Realistically, you are looking at a 7 man pen. Most of those spots are already filled pre-Soria

Locked in:

Mo
    Robertson
    Joba
    Logan
    Phelps

You still will likely have a second lefty -- either Rapada, Cabral, or a FA. This leaves one spot for Cody Eppley or Chase Whitley, a good young reliever in AAA who seems ready to make the jump. There's enough cheaper options, coupled with Soria's mediocre 2011 campaign and injury for 2012 that he's not really a great option for the Yankees. He'll cost a decent chunk of change, there's no guarantee of effectiveness after surgery, and you don't need him for a role -- Robertson is going to be your 8th inning guy. So I would personally pass on Soria.

And before anyone asks, no, Mark Montgomery is not going to break camp with the big club.

Because he's fairly fun to watch? Yea, definitely not that. Also not sure why you think he'd be in line for a "big contract."

Thread Information