+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 210 FirstFirst ... 14 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 34 74 124 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: New York Yankees 2012-2013 Offseason Outlook

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    Because of $ perhaps. They didn't want to send the LAA cash along with Marmol.
    Not according to Ken Rosenthal,

#Angels, #Cubs could even money out in Haren-Marmol swap, with Angels contributing all or part of Haren $3.5M buyout.

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/st...19391020978176

The Angels might actually be the team sending cash.

NYYF Legend

Either way, I want Haren, especially if like you insist, his value is low on the open market. He put up a 3.95 era upon his return from his back injury along with a 5:1 k:bb ratio.

oy. if haren has health issues getting rid of marmol and his contract is still worth it.
    always reasonable

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    I'm sorry, but to spend 14M on Haren with his questionable health is stupid in my opinion. There's a reason why he wasn't traded yesterday and it wasn't financial.
    lol ok boss.. marmol making 9mil and their inability to haggle out how much money would be included apparently had nothing to do with the fact that the deal fell through... right

btw, haren already said in that same interview that his back is fine, and the splits from last year bear that out

he was worth about 6 WAR for the past 4 years before last year, when he was only worth about 3... that's CC levels of WAR, and if you don't think 14mil for one year is worth it, well, then i don't know what to say.. maybe you'd prefer spending that money on another reliever?
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    Not according to Ken Rosenthal,

#Angels, #Cubs could even money out in Haren-Marmol swap, with Angels contributing all or part of Haren $3.5M buyout.

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/st...19391020978176

The Angels might actually be the team sending cash.
    that's rosenthal speculating... he had no idea what was going on
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

NYYF Legend

I'd offer him 3/30 with lots of incentives.
    problem is, someone is gonna give him guaranteed money
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

NYYF Legend

All the sources reported that it's the Cubs which pulled out.
    they clearly weren't worried about the pre-cum
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

The gerbil lives Zimmers' Helmet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by flymick24 View Post
    Perhaps, but I get the sense that he'll be willing to take a one-year deal just to re-establish his value, then seek a more lucrative deal next winter.

If that's his motivation, the Yankees should be all over him like Oprah on a sandwich.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Quote Originally Posted by flymick24 View Post
    Good, let them. I'm fine on a one year deal, but not for 14M.
    Is this the end of the Brian Cashman era?

My friend who is a big Indians fan always tries to play GM with me every year and ask me deals. Last year it was Chris Perez for Nick Swisher, this year he went a little larger and asked Granderson and Nova for Choo, Lindor, and Sipp. I usually laugh off his deals but this one kind of perked my interest. Indians get their power hitter to plug between Cabrera and Santana in Granderson who can make short work of their own short porch and a cost controlled pitcher to add to their less than impressive staff. While the Yankees get a top 30 prospect in Lindor, a solid lefty in Sipp to add to Logan(Who I'd look to trade), Cabrera, and Rapada, and then Choo to replace Swisher.

I'd re-sign Martin 2 years 11 million, 3rd year team option for 7 million or a one million dollar buyout. So he'll at least make 2/12 which I think is pretty solid. Also re-sign Mo, something like 1 year 12 million? Pettitte again, one year $6 million? Obviously I'm not going to hit these salaries dead on but within a couple of million. I'd be on Dan Haren, one year $10 to 12 million, similar to Kuroda this season. Torii Hunter as well. One year $8 to 10 million? Same thing for Ichrio. I know, both Ichiro and Hunter seems a little much but with the DH spot open, I think we could get them all enough ABs. Chavez being re-signed as well, one year $2 million.

So in short being re-signed: Mo, Pettitte, Martin, Ichiro, and Chavez. Free agents: Hunter and Haren

CC
    Pettitte
    Haren
    Hughes
    Phelps
    -Pineda could come up and help as well later on.

Pettitte, Haren, and Hughes will be in their final years of their contracts, so they'd really need Pineda to step up this year.

C: Martin
    1B: Tex
    2B: Cano(I'd try to lock him up)
    SS Jeter
    3B: ARod
    OF: Hunter, Gardner, Ichiro, and Choo
    DH- spot would be open for Hunter, Jeter, ARod and others.

Bench: Nunez, Stewart/Romine, Chavez and Dickerson.

Mo, Robertson, Joba, Aardsma, Sipp, Cabrera(Logan traded away), and Phelps/Warren/Eppley

The bullpen would have room to grow with a lot of good young arms coming up as well. Joba, Aardsma, and Mo will most likely be in their final years too. so Montgomery, Whitely, and Betances could play a big part towards the end of the season.

Salary would be around 202 to 204 million, again, but you'd again have a lot of money coming off the books for 2014 and could really get under the 189 limit.

NYYF Legend

you forgot kuroda

and there's no way they're signing both hunter and ichiro... i'd say one or the other, and that's if cashman doesn't trade for a RFer first
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

I've made a huge mistake Gob Rules's Avatar

We need some youth. Hunter is fine if we're not keeping Ichiro. But I'd like a guy in his prime at least. Tough to find but we need to make an effort, unless we think the youngings in the minors will be ready in the next 2 years.
    Gob Rules. the Clint Eastwood of NYYFans.

Quote Originally Posted by Gob Rules View Post
    We need some youth. Hunter is fine if we're not keeping Ichiro. But I'd like a guy in his prime at least. Tough to find but we need to make an effort, unless we think the youngings in the minors will be ready in the next 2 years.
    The guys we have are TOO young right now, in the minors.
    EvilEmpireDC: Fans bitch about anything lol

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    The guys we have are TOO young right now, in the minors.
    He's right. Only guys who come to mind are Mesa and Zolio Almonte who could make an impact in 2013. I hope Austin or Heathcott can become regulars in 2014 though.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmers' Helmet View Post
    Haren bites? The guy struggled through a back strain during the first half of 2012, but finished strong. His splits clearly show this.

He's consistently been one of the best starting pitchers in the game for 7 years, and is far from finished at age 32. I see no reason why he won't bounce back strong in 2013, and he's definitely worth a one year gamble, although I'd offer him a $10 million base salary with incentives that could potentially earn him $14-15 million.
    Although I don't want to suggest that Haren is definitively finished, this comment brought to mind Donny Baseball, whose career was clearly impacted by back problems.

Not saying that Haren can't come back - just saying that back issues have a bad habit of resurfacing.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

NYYF Legend

Either way, I want Haren, especially if like you insist, his value is low on the open market. He put up a 3.95 era upon his return from his back injury along with a 5:1 k:bb ratio.
    I don't mind if the Yankees take a chance there, but not at guarantee $10M price. If someone offers him more guarantee money, I say let that team take him.

I don't mind if the Yankees take a chance there, but not at guarantee $10M price. If someone offers him more guarantee money, I say let him go.
    What kind of deal did you have in mind?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by TheHugeUnit2 View Post
    What kind of deal did you have in mind?
    $3M-5M with incentive which is up to $10M-$15M.

NYYF Legend

why even bother offering him a deal, if you're gonna do that? he proved he was healthy at the end of last season

if you look at the list of free agent SP, haren is actually probably the 3rd best pitcher available, after greinke and possible edwin jackson, but the yankees clearly won't go near greinke, and edwin jackson always seems to get paid far more than his performance dictates

considering the yankees could use an arm or 2, and barring a trade, going after haren makes a lot of sense
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    Although I don't want to suggest that Haren is definitively finished, this comment brought to mind Donny Baseball, whose career was clearly impacted by back problems.

Not saying that Haren can't come back - just saying that back issues have a bad habit of resurfacing.
    Extremely different scenarios - Mattingly suffered through back problems since age 29 and played through 5 years of agony - he had a structural issue.

Haren suffered through a back strain, which is hard to heal when you exert yourself every 4-5 days. He regained his health after the All Star break and proved his physical issues were not an ongoing issue.

$3M-5M with incentive which is up to $10M-$15M.
    Colon just got $3 million plus big incentives. No way Haren is going to get less than $7 million.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by TheHugeUnit2 View Post
    Colon just got $3 million plus big incentives. No way Haren is going to get less than $7 million.
    And he's coming off a 116 ERA+ season. Haren last year ERA+ was 87.

Some teams may give him $10M guarantee money, but I don't want the Yankees to be that team.

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmers' Helmet View Post
    Haren suffered through a back strain, which is hard to heal when you exert yourself every 4-5 days. He regained his health after the All Star break and proved his physical issues were not an ongoing issue.
    His last two month ERA+ was 99.

Some teams may give him $10M guarantee money, but I don't want the Yankees to be that team.

What would you prefer they do with the $10MM?

I look at the rest of his numbers and see a level of quality that shows a significant improvement over his first half numbers and makes me confident we'll see the Haren of old next season.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/splits...5565/dan-haren

Haren 2012 (post all-star break):

WHIP: 1.15
    ERA: 3.58
    IP: 73
    K: 56
    BB: 14
    AVG: .243

Interestingly enough, Haren's second half numbers are comparable to another member of the 2012 Angels rotation who will end up scoring a huge payday this winter:

Grienke 2012 (post all-star break):

WHIP: 1.17
    ERA: 3.64
    IP: 101.1
    K: 89
    BB: 28
    AVG: .239

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    What would you prefer they do with the $10MM?
    IMO, I think they bring back the same starting staff with CC, Kuroda, Pettitte, Hughes and competition from Nova, Phelps, Pineda and some minor league arms for the 5th spot.
    Is this the end of the Brian Cashman era?

Thread Information