+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 210 FirstFirst ... 4 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 24 64 114 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: New York Yankees 2012-2013 Offseason Outlook

Quote Originally Posted by TheScooter View Post
    http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/stor...ording-sources

Cashman and Girardi did say they didn't know what Mo was going to do.
    I love Mo to death, but I'm not in the mood for this game. I'd bet a lot of cash he comes back.

I will say though - this could be a favor he is doing for Cashman. Cashman could have told him to stay mum on his decision until after 3 days after the WS (Soriano's deadline to opt-out), so Soriano would opt-out, thus freeing up that extra cash.

NYYF Cy Young

Papelbon got 4 years/$50M plus a vesting option worth $13M.

Gotta figure Boras will want that type of contract

Boras got Soriano 3 years/$35M with Soriano having the option of opting out after the 1st or 2nd year and getting $1.5M.

NYYF Cy Young

Keith Law chat

Rob (NYC)

Seeing that the Yankees are in MAJOR decline, how good would you rate these "prospects", Gary Sanchez, Tyler Austin, Mason Williams, Manny Banuelos, Slade Heathcott, David Adams? Are all of them just well overhyped like usual or are some of them legit? Thanks!

Klaw (1:36 PM)

Banuelos is in purgatory with the arm trouble and I don't think Adams is more than a fringy bench guy. The other four are all legit prospects with the upside of above-average or better regulars.
    http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/45820

The Yankees really need those 4 prospects to make it or use them one of the OF as a trade chip. 2014 or 2015. Hold the fort until they are ready.

The Sausage King of Chicago Abe Frohman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spikeowenfan View Post
    I never understood why the Yankees didn't go after Darvish harder. It seemed like a perfect fit.
    Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    i attribute it to dumb. like most things

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    The lingering cost of past mistakes.
    Young, hard throwing, tall sexy prototypical Ace, drop & drive with sick off speed stuff.

For just money.

This organization takes FB down the pipe, to then swing at pitches outside the zone.
    ? Can switching to Geico really save you 15 % or more on car insurance ? ? Does the postman always ring twice ?

Quote Originally Posted by bomber999 View Post
    1) If he can't be traded, move ARod to full-time DH (provided it looks as though Jeter will be able to play SS)- not because ARod is a bad 3B, but because he is a 38 year-old former PED abuser whose body is breaking down and cannot handle even a most-time load at 3B anymore. Let him focus just on hitting and transforming from a huge offensive threat to a useful and productive offensive player.
    There's a lot of evidence showing that offense declines when players are DHs. Playing a good 3b is one of the things that Arod can be counted on for now so I think it's to just keep him there and try to manage his time. His DL trip this year was from a HBP.

2) Explore a package of Granderson (plus prospect(s)) for Justin (NOT BJ) Upton. Cashman and Towers have a good relationship and Granderson's power is quite marketable. The prospects are included due to Granderson's impending FA to make the deal worthwhile for AZ.
    4) Hughes had a good year, but his inconsistency and tendency to give up HRs make him less essential to keep. Time to sell high. See if a package built around Hughes can pry Chase Headley from SD to become our full-time 3B.
    I don't think 1 year of expensive league average players is going to entice those teams to give up 2 of the most valuable players in the game.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Abe Frohman View Post
    Young, hard throwing, tall sexy prototypical Ace, drop & drive with sick off speed stuff.

For just money.

This organization takes FB down the pipe, to then swing at pitches outside the zone.
    Ditto for passing on Cespedes.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

It's About the Money

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    It seem like they are gambling $1.3M to try to get one more draft pick in the 30-40 range. That may or may not make sense to the Angles, but it doesn't make any sense to me.
    WEll if they really want to dump the money and they're worried that he would take the qualifying offer, then they probably won't make it. I just don't see why he would accept a one year, $13.3 million offer when he figures to make more than that on a fairly thin free agent market, especially since next year's is potentially much deeper at the moment.

It's About the Money

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    Ditto for passing on Cespedes.
    Darvish I can sort of get, because of the added cost of the posting fee, but passing on Cespedes and Aroldis Chapman is just mind boggling to me.

Today We Spell Boss- George nyybronxbomber73's Avatar

whats the book on this Mason Williams kid? I hear his name come up often when the topic of prospects are being discussed. Is he gonna be anything like Austin Jackson? Is there a future for him on this team?

Quote Originally Posted by Brien Jackson View Post
    Darvish I can sort of get, because of the added cost of the posting fee, but passing on Cespedes and Aroldis Chapman is just mind boggling to me.
    Is it an added cost? If there were no posting fee, I think Darvish still ends up costing the same.

Quote Originally Posted by nyybronxbomber73 View Post
    whats the book on this Mason Williams kid? I hear his name come up often when the topic of prospects are being discussed. Is he gonna be anything like Austin Jackson? Is there a future for him on this team?
    Talent-wise? He's a stud prospect & absolutely has a future on this team. Front Office patience is another thing.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by nyybronxbomber73 View Post
    From yankees.com:

A toolsy outfielder signed out of high school in 2010, Williams started to show what he can do during his first extended play in pro ball in 2011. He continued to hit well in the South Atlantic League in 2012, even tapping into some power, and was promoted to Class A Advanced Tampa in early July. That promotion was short-lived, as a torn labrum ended his season in early August and required surgery. A left-handed hitter who can hit for average and should mature into more power, Williams has a better idea in terms of an approach than many hitters his age. He has plus speed and will only get better on the basepaths as he gains more experience. He has everything he needs to be an above-average defensive center fielder.
    He's the #2 prospect in the Yankee system, #8 OF and #40 prospect in the MLB prospects list.

The Yankees have a lot of OF prospects in the pipeline to arrive in the next couple of years. In order (with their expected arrival year):

Mason Williams (2015)
    Tyler Austin (2015)
    Slade Heathcott (2014)
    Zoile Almonte (2013)
    Ramon Flores (2014)
    Ravel Santana (2015)

Could you imagine the Yankees going with an all non-arbitration OF in 2014?
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

There is no way that Santana will arrive in 2015. I'd expect Williams before 2015 as well.

If Austin continues to hit the way he has, he could arrive next year (although I wouldn't bank on that).

Quote Originally Posted by Brien Jackson View Post
    Yes. Incidentally, Soriano is actually in the same boat, and would make about $1 million more next season just by opting out of his contract and then accepting the team's qualifying offer.
    If Soriano opts out, he won't fall under Article XX of the CBA. The qualifying offer won't be relevant.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Posada_20 View Post
    I worry about Baltimore getting Hamilton. He'd be a perfect fit there. In Camden yards, he'd hit 60 hrs a year. Put him RF and move Markakis to LF. Imagine him in the middle of that lineup with Jones, Weiters, Reynolds and Machado. Pretty potent. Buck would make sure he keeps his focus as well.
    Why would he hit that many more homeruns there? And he'll face tougher pitching to boot.

I see Balimore as a fluke unless the make a few major upgrades this offseason. An ace and Josh Hamilton scare me. More of the same doesn't.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

Quote Originally Posted by Jax Teller View Post
    Talent-wise? He's a stud prospect & absolutely has a future on this team. Front Office patience is another thing.
    So is fan patience, and I mean the fans who spend on tickets.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by rajah View Post
    So is fan patience, and I mean the fans who spend on tickets.
    Its not just the fans who buy tickets - it is also the fans from afar. They do not tolerate losing, so they generally are not willing to tolerate rough edges, which is what you get from prospects and rookies.

Personally (and I do buy tickets, albeit not that many), I would love to see the Yankees regularly promote from within the organization.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Quote Originally Posted by TheScooter View Post
    Keith Law chat

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/45820

The Yankees really need those 4 prospects to make it or use them one of the OF as a trade chip. 2014 or 2015. Hold the fort until they are ready.
    Rob is a bit of an idiot. "MAJOR decline?" Really?

NYYF Legend

probably rob neyer
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

dont mess with the jesus dont_ya_know24's Avatar

garza for phelps and/or nova
    I really thought I played great defense when the ball wasn't hit at me, Alex Rodriguez said.

how early do we know when Soriano opts out?

Richmond Virginians

Quote Originally Posted by newyorkyankees6 View Post
    how early do we know when Soriano opts out?
    Three days after the World Series ends.

Well now we can start speculating for real. Tigers got swept, I'm shocked
    Not Removing Until We Acquire Giancarlo Stanton

This is our future. JohnnyDamonfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dont_ya_know24 View Post
    garza for phelps and/or nova
    It would most likely be AND Nova plus a few more pieces thrown in. I really don't think Baltimore will get Hamilton. I actually think the Dodgers will pick up Josh Hamilton to be honest. But, I could be wrong.
    Still and will always be a New England Patriots fan.

[quote=THEBOSS84]You may be my favorite poster on the site. So sweet and innocent.[/quote]

see if we can't grab Berkman for a 1 year deal?
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

Thread Information