+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11

Re: "Source:" A-Rod to Miami maybe?

anyway i have no idea what youkilis would get because it depends on what teams are looking for a 3b and how they evaluate his decline.

based on numbers alone he'll be getting north of 10m per and 2 or 3 years. that would be a good buy low contract given the substantial chance for a rebound. if he puts up a 3 win season it'll be worth the contract.
    always reasonable

The gerbil lives Zimmers' Helmet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    anyway i have no idea what youkilis would get because it depends on what teams are looking for a 3b and how they evaluate his decline.

based on numbers alone he'll be getting north of 10m per and 2 or 3 years. that would be a good buy low contract given the substantial chance for a rebound. if he puts up a 3 win season it'll be worth the contract.
    Based on his past two seasons, It will be shocking if he gets anything north of $10 million. He'll have to take a one year deal and hope he turns it around if he wants that type of money.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

which is why i said the rest of my post.

arod would, on a bad hip but with a good hand, vastly outperform 10m a year.
    always reasonable

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFan1421 View Post
    There is no reason to think ARod is going to signficantly outproduce Youkilis over the next four or five years
    ...if you completely ignore Youkilis' below league average offensive season just last year.

If you ignore that his 2011 was inferior to A-Rod's, and was completely fueled by walks and the Green Monster: (.320 / . 426 / .563 at home, .191 / .317 / .349 on the road).

If you ignore that even at their respective ages A-Rod is the better defender and far better baserunner.

Then yeah, absolutely no evidence.

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    ...if you completely ignore Youkilis' below league average offensive season just last year.

If you ignore that his 2011 was inferior to A-Rod's, and was completely fueled by walks and the Green Monster: (.320 / . 426 / .563 at home, .191 / .317 / .349 on the road).

If you ignore that even at their respective ages A-Rod is the better defender and far better baserunner.

Then yeah, absolutely no evidence.
    Okay, we'll see who does more over the next five years. Arod has the head start as that he's virtually guaranteed a roster spot.

I tend to take the guy 4 years younger who has outplayed, over three seasons, the 37 year old.

Neither holds a whole loot of promise, but I'll take the younger guy who's been better over three years, and about even for the past year.

You're right about the baserunning, however. Arod remains a much better baserunner than Youk. no question.

Neither holds a whole loot of promise, but I'll take the younger guy who's been better over three years, and about even for the past year.
    I would use different statistics to evaluate the players, but these are the ones you appear to be using. To say that Youkilis has been better for three years and about even the past year is a misrepresentation. This isn't a debate competition so there's no reason to do that.

2010-2012:

Youk: 344 GP, 73 doubles, 55 Home Runs, .372 OBP, 125 OPS+
    Arod: 358 GP, 67 doubles, 64 Home Runs, .351 OBP, 118 OPS+

2012 Alone:

Youk: 122 GP, 15 doubles, 19 Home Runs, .336 OBP, 99 OPS+
    Arod: 122 GP, 17 doubles, 18 Home Runs, .353 OBP, 112 OPS+

Which is worse, A-Rod's contract or Ryan Howard's?

The gerbil lives Zimmers' Helmet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jcarey View Post
    Which is worse, A-Rod's contract or Ryan Howard's?
    A-Rod's by far. Howard had a bad season while recovering from an injury. At his age, he's likely to bounce back strong next year.

A-Rod had a bad season due to his declining skills as an aging ball player, and it's going to get progressively worse during the next 5 years.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmers' Helmet View Post
    A-Rod's by far. Howard had a bad season while recovering from an injury. At his age, he's likely to bounce back strong next year.

A-Rod had a bad season due to his declining skills as an aging ball player, and it's going to get progressively worse during the next 5 years.
    Huh, Howard has been in a slow sort of decline since 2006 and plays a less valuable position. His past two healthy seasons he has been an .850 OPS player. A-Rod has been around .830 the over the same period.

Would you trade A-Rod for Ryan Howard and Polanco?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by jcarey View Post
    Huh, Howard has been in a slow sort of decline since 2006 and plays a less valuable position. His past two healthy seasons he has been an .850 OPS player. A-Rod has been around .830 the over the same period.

Would you trade A-Rod for Ryan Howard and Polanco?
    I won't trade A-Rod for Ryan Howard straight up.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    I won't trade A-Rod for Ryan Howard straight up.
    Trading ARod for Howard straight up would only free up $2.5M in AAV. Still, I have to wonder how many HR Howard might hit in YS with that short RF porch.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    Trading ARod for Howard straight up would only free up $2.5M in AAV. Still, I have to wonder how many HR Howard might hit in YS with that short RF porch.
    It would free up $2.5 AAV and 5 years in age per year.

It's not going to happen, obviously, but I'd take it in a second. Ryan still has some life left, I do believe.

you do realize a replacement level 1b is better than howard right.
    always reasonable

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    you do realize a replacement level 1b is better than howard right.
    Yes I do.

NYYF Legend

Last 3 years,

rWAR
    A-Rod 3.9, 3.7, 2.0
    Howard 1.1, 0.9, -1.2

fWAR
    A-Rod 3.8, 4.2, 2.2
    Howard 1.4, 1.7, -1.0

wRC+
    A-Rod 125, 125, 114
    Howard 127, 124, 87

dem numbers, so confuse
    always reasonable

Ryan Howard has pretty ridiculous splits too. He's basically Curtis Granderson playing 1B/DH.

Yes, Howard hits a little better (IF he returns to form) but Granderson steals enough bases to compensate for the difference in their hitting abilities.

TLDR: Ryan Howard's contract is worse than ARod's.

Quote Originally Posted by grizy View Post
    Ryan Howard has pretty ridiculous splits too. He's basically Curtis Granderson playing 1B/DH.

Yes, Howard hits a little better (IF he returns to form) but Granderson steals enough bases to compensate for the difference in their hitting abilities.

TLDR: Ryan Howard's contract is worse than ARod's.
    I agree.

Thread Information