+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Re: "Source:" A-Rod to Miami maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Stupid Flanders View Post
    You want the Yankees to pay what amounts to $85.5M to Philadelphia, plus another $10-$15M in bonuses, and not get an elite prospect back? Oh, and ALSO pay another 3B to take over?

Essentially what you're saying is Rodriguez's production isn't worth $7M/yr, which is what the difference in that deal is before calculating in the replacement 3B salary.
    ARod isn't worth $7m per year for the next five years. If he was a free agent he'd get something like 2 years and $12m plus incentive driven options for a 3rd year.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFan1421 View Post
    ARod isn't worth $7m per year for the next five years. If he was a free agent he'd get something like 2 years and $12m plus incentive driven options for a 3rd year.
    This is just wrong. Polanco got 18/3 with the Phillies with 100OPS+, even before his meltdown in the Phillies.

You vastly underestimate the going rate for 3Bs, and every other position, judging by your posts.

Revenues are up... and it's supporting MLB salaries. In 2002, according to CBS sports, average MLB salary was $2,383,235. In 2012, the average MLB salary was 3,440,000, for 44% increase. Yankees total salary was 153m in 2003. In 2012, it was 209,792,900, or about 30% increase.

The net result is our salaries have grown slower than the MLB salaries overall (intended result of revenue sharing) and we account for smaller % of MLB salaries overall.

Another thing that's happening, with revenue sharing and more money locked down by TV contracts, revenues are much smoother (less up and downs depending on how team is doing), enabling teams to take on longer term and riskier contracts that only teams like the Yankees could afford in the 90s.

The Yankees isn't the financial power house it used to be, not when it comes to player salaries. This is by design.

when you make claims like arod is not worth 7 per, you have no credibility here. sorry. there is not one single goddamn way of thinking that can lead to that conclusion

not that we need any more information with which to form decisive opinion about your opinion from other places.
    always reasonable

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    when you make claims like arod is not worth 7 per, you have no credibility here. sorry. there is not one single goddamn way of thinking that can lead to that conclusion

not that we need any more information with which to form decisive opinion about your opinion from other places.
    Not sure why I would defend the other poster, but I'll just say I think he was mostly arguing that A-Rod would not get five years if a free agent, not so much that he couldn't get $7M in 2013.

Also you saying "goddamn" was fun. Do it again some time.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    Not sure why I would defend the other poster, but I'll just say I think he was mostly arguing that A-Rod would not get five years if a free agent, not so much that he couldn't get $7M in 2013.

Also you saying "goddamn" was fun. Do it again some time.
    most teams would ................ themselves if they got A-Rod for 5yrs/7mil per

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by BennyTheJetRodriguez View Post
    most teams would ................ themselves if they got A-Rod for 5yrs/7mil per
    I think that this is far from the truth. There is a dearth of third baseman out there, so teams would pay some for ARod, no doubt.

$35M for 5 years of ARod starting at age 38 though? NO team is signing up for that. If there were a team, I think Cash makes it happen by paying the rest.

ARod played in 99 games two years ago, and 122 games this year.
    Goin for 2<strike>7</strike>8!

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by goin for 27 View Post
    I think that this is far from the truth. There is a dearth of third baseman out there, so teams would pay some for ARod, no doubt.

$35M for 5 years of ARod starting at age 38 though? NO team is signing up for that. If there were a team, I think Cash makes it happen by paying the rest.

Would he? Wouldn't that give them a ~ $20 million commitment against the luxury tax for him to be on another team for the next 5 years? I'm not sure that's going to help with the magical $189 million in 2014, as they'd still need a 3rd baseman
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

NYYF Legend

Yeah, fair enough, I guess Cash's hand are tied, but point still stands....no one would give ARod 5/35.

And yet in both seasons he was worth more than 7 million; 2 years ago he had the fourth highest WAR of any third basemen. Also if it was a player without an injury history we would be thinking that his missed games this year were fluky.

Aramis Ramirez got 3/36 as a 34 year old coming off a good year preceded by a horrible one. I think a bit lower than than is the ballpark for Arod. If the past 6 weeks didn't happen there's no question in my mind that Arod would easily get over 40 million and maybe even in the 50s in a hypothetical free agent market. These past 6 weeks definitely hurt his value a lot, but he's still an above average player at a pretty scarce position. I bet every projection system has him being worth over 30 million over the next 5 years. So teams should be interested and as we see every offseason there's always a team out there that values a player much higher than the average.

NYYF Legend

Yeah, fair enough, I guess Cash's hand are tied, but point still stands....no one would give ARod 5/35.
    ????? I think A-rod would easily get 5/35. But maybe I'm crazy.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Nobody is giving a 5 year deal to someone entering their age 37 season and coming off 2 injury plagued seasons
    “He's a clown. Guy says he's from the 209, what the ................ is that?

-CC Sabathia on Dallas Braden

you aren't crazy.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by spikeowenfan View Post
    And yet in both seasons he was worth more than 7 million; 2 years ago he had the fourth highest WAR of any third basemen. Also if it was a player without an injury history we would be thinking that his missed games this year were fluky.
    Kind of cherry picking. If you want to look at WAR, you can't just say 2 years ago 4th highest in the position. ARod's war has declined for 5 consecutive seasons.

And if it were someone else, then perhaps yes, maybe it would be considered fluky. But it is not. ARod has not made it into 125 games once in the last 4 seasons. (137 in 2010)

Clearly he is aged, and I don't think anyone expects 125+ games per year going forward, never mind for five years.

At this point, I think ARod could get two years at 7 per, but I can't imagine anyone signing up for ARod until he is 43 years old.

Off To Never Never Land Mr.Muhozi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chacon View Post
    Nobody is giving a 5 year deal to someone entering their age 37 season and coming off 2 injury plagued seasons
    Two? He hasn't had a full, proper season since 08.
    40 pitchers, ever, have an ERA+ of 130 or higher for their career. 15 have 140 or higher. 3 guys have 150 or higher - one is right at 150, the second place guy is at 154, and Mariano Rivera is at 205.

NYYF Triple Crown

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Muhozi View Post
    Two? He hasn't had a full, proper season since 08.
    At the same time, I don't think he'd have too much trouble landing a two year deal at the hypothetical 7 per number I saw another poster suggest.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

NYYF Legend

Your crazy........ nobody gonna touch a 37 year old in a steadfast decline and an admitted roid user.........

"Happy Wife.........Happy Life" - unknown

Why do I keep reading the "ARod to Miami maybe?" to the tune of Call Me Maybe?
    EvilEmpireDC: Fans bitch about anything lol

NYYF MVP

Reputation alone could get Arod 35 million.

The Sausage King of Chicago Abe Frohman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFan1421 View Post
    WoW ... The leaps and bounds people will hurdle to diss Alex.
    ? Can switching to Geico really save you 15 % or more on car insurance ? ? Does the postman always ring twice ?

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by eaganmafia View Post
    Reputation alone could get Arod 35 million.
    Exactly. Economically speaking, A-Rod is one of the biggest names in baseball. His contract and marketing value is quite higher than his production value.

Either way, I could see A-Rod easily commanding 3 years, 30 million. The extra two years are basically throw ins.

Hey, Hank just signed you
    It's kind of crazy
    But here's Loria's number
    So call him maybe
    EvilEmpireDC: Fans bitch about anything lol

Quote Originally Posted by DaBliz View Post
    Exactly. Economically speaking, A-Rod is one of the biggest names in baseball. His contract and marketing value is quite higher than his production value.
    Seriously? Almost every fan in every market hates this guy. He has very little "marketing value" at all. You don't even see MLB using his image to promote all-star games and postseason series.

Time to update your understanding of A-Rod's place in the game. It's 2012 not 1999.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Crow,Tony,Joe,Yogi,Riz,2 Joes Tifoso's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    Seriously? Almost every fan in every market hates this guy. He has very little "marketing value" at all. You don't even see MLB using his image to promote all-star games and postseason series.

Time to update your understanding of A-Rod's place in the game. It's 2012 not 2002.
    Including a good number of Yankees fans, I think.
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2014)
    Totus Tuus

ARod can get 35/5 on his ability ALONE. He's been a good 3B even with the injuries. Arguably the best 3B to hit FA in 3 or 4 years, if he were FA that is.

hating a guy doesn't mean you are not buying tickets to see him.

there are the right kind of scandalous, like the TMZ stuff, and the wrong kind, like the Bonds stuff.
    always reasonable

Thread Information