+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    NYYF Cy Young

Re: "Source:" A-Rod to Miami maybe?

So if the Yankees are paying 15 to 18 million of his salary for the next five years, doesn't that money still reduce the salary cap, or are they going to somehow finagle it? If it is coming off the salary cap, I say keep the guy. What good is it going to do paying ten per cent of your salary to a guy in a different league on a losing team?
    All the fat guys watch me & say to their wives, 'See, there's a fat guy doing okay. Bring me another beer. Mickey Lolich

NYYF Cy Young

Long term, the Yankees have received some real gifts this year. They are not going to spend a fortune to extend Swisher's contract and they may really think twice before signing Robbie and Granderson to long term deals.
    All the fat guys watch me & say to their wives, 'See, there's a fat guy doing okay. Bring me another beer. Mickey Lolich

Quote Originally Posted by DiMaggio5CF View Post
    A-Rod was the one reason that they couldn't rebuild. If they can actually move him, I would really think about trading Sabathia too.

I love Sabathia, but I just can't see his weight not causing back issues a year or two down the line. We started to see the previously durable Sabathia struggle with injuries this season. There's no way that Sabathia is done, but that's another contract you don't want to get stuck with if he's not producing. And it's better to get rid of a player one year too early than one year too late.

I assume Soriano will opt out after this season. So then you trade Granderson, and let the rebuilding begin.

Right away, you'd have plenty of money to re-sign Cano and still stay under the cap.
    Why on earth would they trade Sabathia? That essentially signals a rebuilding process for a team that's made the ALCS two out of the last three seasons. Anyways, LA already asked the Yanks for Sabathia and they were shot down.

Quote Originally Posted by Abe Frohman View Post
    If it wasn't for Alex this team would be in a 12 year Championship drought, having spent more than a $ BILLION $ dollars in the process.

Alex won that championship for us.

It disgusts me how pompous and ungrateful this fanbase has become. If he is gone i hope the Yankees are responsible for every last dollar of his contract.

No relief from that Alex deal that THEY got themselves into. I hope no other team even gets themselves involved in it. Let the FO clean up their own mess.

Funny how they wana get under $189 mil with a homegrown star like Cano on the cusp of his own Mega deal. Its a vicious cycle with this team. In a few years Cano will be Alex. An overpaid Superstar on the decline.

The FO will never learn.
    I actually agree with much of this, but if we're going to keep Cano we're going to have to deal with some bad years. Hopefully not 5, but a few.

I completely agree with your first three statements though.
    You're a stranger til she whispers you can stay.
    You're a stranger til she whispers that your journey's over.

NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by grizy View Post
    This is the same team that dumped Hanley Ramirez's 31/2.

It's nuts to think that team would pay ARod anything even close to 50/5.

Someone else, maybe. But Marlins not that team. They even have an excuse. Their new taxpayer funded stadium isn't drawing all that well.'

To the shock and awe of many, this monstrosity isn't really that popular.

Let Alex "sleep with the fishes"
    We toast to the old days and DiMaggio too,
    Billy Martin and Mantle, Whitey Ford and to you

NYYF MVP

ARod wouldn't even be able to DH in Miami.
    Nothing worse than bored mediots....

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

However, Yankees president Randy Levine and Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria have in fact had a casual conversation
    Loria reportedly said, "Alex is Mr. Miami, it would be great if he played here for us." The Yankees president then responded, "You can have him."
    It would not be unprecedented for Yankees brass to conduct business with limited involvement from Cashman. Two years ago, the club brokered a substantial deal for reliever Rafael Soriano despite the GM's objections.

FWIW from that article. If this trade were to occur, it's probably not going to be b/t the GM's.

And it looks like from Miami's perspective, it looks less from the production side more from the attraction side. Looking at the moves they made last offseason, its quite plausable that something could get worked out.
    Fistpumping like a champion.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by just-blaze View Post
    FWIW from that article. If this trade were to occur, it's probably not going to be b/t the GM's.

And it looks like from Miami's perspective, it looks less from the production side more from the attraction side. Looking at the moves they made last offseason, its quite plausable that something could get worked out.
    It's one thing to have that conversation (if they really did), it's another thing for Loria to actually pony up enough money to have it make sense for the Yankees
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    It's one thing to have that conversation (if they really did), it's another thing for Loria to actually pony up enough money to have it make sense for the Yankees
    You never know. If Loria really thinks ARod is Mr. Miami, he might take alot back. At the same measure, he would be dealing with Levine, so Levine might do something stupid which isn't precedented.

I hope this deal gets done

A-Rod and Girardi cannot possibly co-exist after this whole benching fiasco
    RIP MR. STEINBRENNER

You never know. If Loria really thinks ARod is Mr. Miami, he might take alot back. At the same measure, he would be dealing with Levine, so Levine might do something stupid which isn't precedented.
    At this point, I don't think Hal is letting Levine doing anything financially reckless. Loria, of course, is capable of stupidity, so I guess we can hope for that, but it's a lot to count on. That said, I'm willing to cross my fingers for a few months
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

At this point, I don't think Hal is letting Levine doing anything financially reckless. Loria, of course, is capable of stupidity, so I guess we can hope for that, but it's a lot to count on. That said, I'm willing to cross my fingers for a few months
    It does beg the question of how this would affect the budget and payroll? I guess whatever money we would eat would be considered part of the payroll that year? But that doesn't sound right.

It does beg the question of how this would affect the budget and payroll? I guess whatever money we would eat would be considered part of the payroll that year? But that doesn't sound right.
    Yes -- that's why the money is so important. If the Yankees eat most of A-Rod's contract they lose a legitimate contributor AND a decent chunk of the money they need for the $189 million/2014 campaign. It would hurt

Yankee Stadium: 1923-2008 DiMaggio5CF's Avatar

Yes -- that's why the money is so important. If the Yankees eat most of A-Rod's contract they lose a legitimate contributor AND a decent chunk of the money they need for the $189 million/2014 campaign. It would hurt
    Would the amount of money they eat in total be distributed evenly over the course of the contract for payroll concerns? Or could they eat minimal money for next year and 2014 and then most of the contract after that?
    27-Time World Champions

Even if there is no luxury tax at all involved, it's hard to make a trade to ARod make sense unless Marlins eat up 10-12 a year at least.

Even then I rather stick with ARod.

There jsut aren't that many 3Bs on the market who can give us what ARod gives.

NYYF Legend

Guys, this is never going to happen. ARod slumping during postseaon + months old rumor = way to sell papers

Think about it, why on earth would Miami, which has invested sooo much already on crappy deals (Bell, Burhle, Zambrano) take on more money with ARod's mega deal. And if they did, they Yankees would have to eat some of the deal which would count towards the luxury tax, so no savings there.

Secondly, we would have to go out and get or trade for a 3B. You interested in Youk? theres really nothing out there not in our minor league system other than David Adams who has a handful of games at 3B.

Thirdly, ok I admit it ARod is not going to be the feared 30HR a year 100 RBI clean up hitter he once was but he is still productive. Decent 3B defense and can give you 20-25 HR's along with about 80 RBI and a ton of experience is much better than whats out on the FA market.

Besides, ARod has a full no trade clause in his contract (thanks to Mr. Boras), and full 10-5 rights provided by the players association. ARod will be a Yankee until he retires, nuff said
    The real reason why the Yankees keep winning is cause the other team can't stop staring at the damn pinstripes

Trade A-Rod free some salary up, trade for Mike Olt and then find a right fielder who can actually hit in the postseason.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    That is an absurd trade for Miami. Let's put aside that fact that Stanton is probably not on the block, if we get Stanton in any way shape or form we'd have to trade Cano. I realize you may have been sarcastic in your post but for those who think trading for Stanton has any merit, please.....

I was listening to the MLB Radio on Sirius and Cashman emphatically said that there was absolutely no conversation with Miami outside of some texts congratulating them for beating the O's about trading Arod to them. So this is complete speculation and rumor.

And another interesting tid-bit to squash any theories running around here recently.... Cash said that while Joe looks to him, some other execs and the entire coaching staff for input and point of views, which Cash gave his, the decision to bench Arod was Joe's and there was no pressure from above to make a decision either way.
    Yes, I was being sarcastic about the ARod for Stanton deal. Still, in another thread, I raised the issue of trading Cano.

Could we work some sort of an ARod + Cano for Stanton deal? Just askin'

Quote Originally Posted by DiMaggio5CF View Post
    Would the amount of money they eat in total be distributed evenly over the course of the contract for payroll concerns? Or could they eat minimal money for next year and 2014 and then most of the contract after that?
    Its my understanding that the luxury tax implications of a contract are based on AAV, so I would assume that the implication of the money the Yankees would owe would be handled similarly.

What I can never understand is do they recalculate the AAV based on the entire length of the contract or is it just the remaining five years of the contract?

And, who would be responsible for those marketing bonuses when earned?
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

NYYF Cy Young

Probably more important to start thinking about what to do if Jeter cannot return next year. I agree this is a rumor designed to sell newspapers and get radio ratings up. But who ever thought the Red Sox would make the trades they did?

NYYF Triple Crown

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

Sad to see a formerly great player in such a stark and steep decline. I would think for his own pride, he might even think about retirement sooner rather than later, so he can take the half billion dollars he's already accumulated and move on with his life before the next five years of his career render him a laughing stock. Probably not going to happen...

In terms of a trade, I'd think the FO would consider eating most of that sunken cost in the interest of moving forward. Aside from that, letting Swisher walk is a pretty logical move, and seeing what they can get for Granderson makes sense. Those are three opportunities to change the character of this offense. That's not really a complete overhaul, but they did make it into the playoffs with the best record in the AL, so I'm not sure I'm on board with the complete overhaul that some of my fellow fans might be advocating.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

Quote Originally Posted by apalradio View Post
    Sad to see a formerly great player in such a stark and steep decline. I would think for his own pride, he might even think about retirement sooner rather than later, so he can take the half billion dollars he's already accumulated and move on with his life before the next five years of his career render him a laughing stock. Probably not going to happen...

In terms of a trade, I'd think the FO would consider eating most of that sunken cost in the interest of moving forward. Aside from that, letting Swisher walk is a pretty logical move, and seeing what they can get for Granderson makes sense. Those are three opportunities to change the character of this offense. That's not really a complete overhaul, but they did make it into the playoffs with the best record in the AL, so I'm not sure I'm on board with the complete overhaul that some of my fellow fans might be advocating.
    That's not an overhaul, though, it's just a deconstruction. You take away Rodriguez, Swisher and Granderson, move Gardner to center, and then all you have to do is replace two corner outfielders and a third baseman. Despite their flaws, all three provided real offensive contributions: wOBA of .363 for Swisher, .346 for Granderson, .342 for Rodriguez. Where does that come from? Ichiro! can't be expected to produce for a year the way he did in September, and we can't ignore the possibility that Jeter won't match this year's production.

So if you let those guys all go, what does the team consist of going ahead?
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by johnsterling View Post
    Trade A-Rod free some salary up, trade for Mike Olt and then find a right fielder who can actually hit in the postseason.
    Yeah, that should be easy!

Assuming Texas would even entertain such a deal, who do you propose we offer?

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post

So if you let those guys all go, what does the team consist of going ahead?
    Other people. Being mediocre for a few years would be worth the savings, flexibility and re-energizing of the fan base (which expects championships every year and takes playoff appearances for granted).

No matter where he's traded to we'll wind up paying most of his salary, so why bother doing that? I'd rather pay a million dollars to the best private hitting coach we can find and have him reinvent A-Rod's swing, which is too long and cumbersome for his age. He's still in good shape, despite the injuries, so something that involves a little more crouch and a lot less motion would probably work for him, even though it will cut down even more on the power.
    Let the kids play.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by BronxYanks45 View Post
    Guys, this is never going to happen. ARod slumping during postseaon + months old rumor = way to sell papers

Think about it, why on earth would Miami, which has invested sooo much already on crappy deals (Bell, Burhle, Zambrano) take on more money with ARod's mega deal. And if they did, they Yankees would have to eat some of the deal which would count towards the luxury tax, so no savings there.

Secondly, we would have to go out and get or trade for a 3B. You interested in Youk? theres really nothing out there not in our minor league system other than David Adams who has a handful of games at 3B.

Thirdly, ok I admit it ARod is not going to be the feared 30HR a year 100 RBI clean up hitter he once was but he is still productive. Decent 3B defense and can give you 20-25 HR's along with about 80 RBI and a ton of experience is much better than whats out on the FA market.

Besides, ARod has a full no trade clause in his contract (thanks to Mr. Boras), and full 10-5 rights provided by the players association. ARod will be a Yankee until he retires, nuff said
    Anything is possible, and I wouldn't be surprised if A-rod was dealt somewhere.

But if I had to bet money.........I go with this statement.

Where do you get a 3rd baseman that offers the overall picture that A-Rod offers?

Thread Information