View Poll Results: Should we fire Joe Girardi?

Voters
141. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, fire him

24 17.02%
  • No

117 82.98%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    NYYF Cy Young

Re: Should we fire Joe Girardi?

Talk of firing Girardi is just plain nonsense. He's done things that tick me off also. But he doesn't deserve the ax. They had the best record in the AL, he managed through multiple injury issues, they won the division, the pitching has done well, it's the hitting that's the issue and it's not like he has many options, he was delt the hand of hitters he has.
    [SIZE=3]"Scooter - RIP and thank you for being part of my childhood"[/SIZE]

Emotional Warrior BroadwayBomber55's Avatar

Hank and Hal Steinbrenner are doing the same things with the Yankees that John Mara and Steve Tisch are doing with the Giants: sticking by their head coach and general manager.

Joe Girardi is not going anywhere. Neither is Brian Cashman.

The only move I see other than getting rid of players is hitting coach Kevin Long. Yankees have a good offense despite hiring five different hitting coaches (Chris Chambliss, Gary Denbo, Rick Down, Don Mattingly and Kevin Long).

I would like to see Rudy Jaramillo as Long's replacement, but it's doubtful.
    It's not the 27 World Championships that drive the New York Yankees. It's the 28th.
    Every year is The Year. Go Yankees.

Emotional Warrior BroadwayBomber55's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LongtimeNYYFan View Post
    I agreed with everything you said until I got to the line above. Showalter had his shot with the Yankees. Ask him how well the Jack McDowell over Rivera decision worked out in the 1995 playoffs. He also ripped Jeter in a magazine article after joining the Orioles.

As for the Orioles, as soon as they fire Showalter, Baltimore will win the World Series the following year. That's usually how things seem to work out when he leaves a team.
    The only team that didn't win a World Series after Buck Showalter left was the Texas Rangers.
    It's not the 27 World Championships that drive the New York Yankees. It's the 28th.
    Every year is The Year. Go Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by LongtimeNYYFan View Post
    I agreed with everything you said until I got to the line above. Showalter had his shot with the Yankees. Ask him how well the Jack McDowell over Rivera decision worked out in the 1995 playoffs. He also ripped Jeter in a magazine article after joining the Orioles.

As for the Orioles, as soon as they fire Showalter, Baltimore will win the World Series the following year. That's usually how things seem to work out when he leaves a team.
    I'm a big fan of Buck. Always have been. I was upset at his departure.
    NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    I know the Marlins weren't particularly good in 2006, but I'm pretty sure it still qualifies as Managerial experience for Joe, before he came to the Yankees.
    okay, so he was a manager with little experience. sorry to have misspoken.

I have yet to read a rational reason for firing Girardi. 16 people voted yes. Is it just frustration about them losing and you need a scapegoat to feel better?

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    I think this question will have to be dissected, sooner or later. The only three explanations I can think of:
    1. He really does have some kind of lingering issue with his hand.
    2. At some point after the original pinch-hit, which of course worked out extremely well, it really did become personal between Girardi and A-Rod.
    3. The organization as a whole has decided to marginalize him.
    I agree that this is question isn't getting enough play. I am guessing #1, because hand-injuries are so often so hard to play with when it comes to baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    okay, so he was a manager with little experience. sorry to have misspoken.
    he won AL manager of the year that year...
    like delv, but better

oh for christ's sake. Okay. I still would like to hear valid reasons though. From at least 1 of the 16 people.

NYYF MVP

I have yet to read a rational reason for firing Girardi. 16 people voted yes. Is it just frustration about them losing and you need a scapegoat to feel better?
    Maybe because Girardi can't hit with RiSP.
    He'll never get another milestone like that one. So what? His whole career is a milestone. - JL25and3

121st Street & a On The End Ave.

Quote Originally Posted by HerbieLee20 View Post
    Maybe because Girardi can't hit with RiSP.
    He could do no worse than everyone else if he tried.

I think it's time for a new GM. Not that I think Cashman has done a terrible job, but I think it's time to give someone else the keys. If you're going to have a new GM he should be allowed to name his own manager.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    I think it's time for a new GM. Not that I think Cashman has done a terrible job, but I think it's time to give someone else the keys. If you're going to have a new GM he should be allowed to name his own manager.
    Well it's only natural for a new GM to be able to choose his manager so of course that is a possibility. But why should Cashman be fired? There are no reasons for this. Or Girardi. The team makes the playoffs nearly every season. They are in the ALCS right now. 26 fansbases are watching football. You can't win every year. He helped get the team where they are now with what he had despite all the hiccups and issues. Making out the lineup card for the playoffs should be easy to do. You roll with your players that got you here. Joe can't do that right now so he's making hard decisions. Cashman can only do so much. If he is unsuccessful at making a deal chances are most other GMs can't make it. Cash can only sit back and watch. Joe is making the decisions he needs to make. But we're here, again, just like almost every year. it's on the players.... that is it. Case closed. I don't know why anyone else is being blamed. Even Kevin Long... he can talk until he's blue in the face it isn't going to stop them from swinging at bad pitches. The players need to do their jobs. Cash, Girardi, Long.... IMO have done their jobs.

Blame can be put on the umps as well though. i think I can recall at least 4 plays that were detrimental. But we got the benefit of the home run that hit the pole, so I suppose things even out. Which means we're owed 3.

Well it's only natural for a new GM to be able to choose his manager so of course that is a possibility. But why should Cashman be fired?
    Because sometimes you need to make a change for the sake of making a change. It doesn't have to be antagonistic, just time to move on.
    "If your hand touches metal, I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you."

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bozidar View Post
    Because sometimes you need to make a change for the sake of making a change. It doesn't have to be antagonistic, just time to move on.
    And sometimes that results in a worse outcome than what you had originally. I don't see it happening
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

With all due respect, this is a load of bullcrap. Two men completely capable at doing their jobs very well. Just let them go because we need "change". I don't buy it. What are we moving on from? Winning and being in the playoffs every year?

4 days ago, I would have said no.

Now, yes.

With all due respect, this is a load of bullcrap. Two men completely capable at doing their jobs very well. Just let them go because we need "change". I don't buy it. What are we moving on from? Winning and being in the playoffs every year?
    No need for the "with all due respect", between us Steve

I've been a part of business insurance in my company for 15 years. We have had like 7 CIOs over this years. None of them have been appreciatively different from the others, but changes are occasionally made.

Big organizations occasionally need new blood at the top, new ideas. It's not that the guys in there aren't doing their jobs, but that your organization can't grow and mature if you keep the same people with the same ideas at the top.

I'm not advocating for either guy to be fired. But there's definitely something that can be gained from it.

And try not to give too much credit to any single person in the org. Cashman and Girardi are essentially figureheads of significant orgs underneath them. Changing them doesn't mean they're going to stop making the playoffs.

When Sonny wanted a wartime consigliere, It wasn't because Tom wasn't doing a good job. It's that in different times you need different ideas
    "If your hand touches metal, I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you."

I dunno. If the Yanks are going to rebuild, then yeah maybe. But I like Joe, a lot. I don't want to see him go. I have no real strong feelings about Cashman, he's always had deep pockets and been able to plug holes with the superstars we needed, most of the time. I think a lot of GMs could have done the same but there have been some out of nowhere trades he's made that seemed right at the time. I do not fault him for anything, but I don't care if he stays or not. I do find his interviews entertaining though.

As for Joe Girardi, I am a big fan. Not many I would like to see in his place. I mentioned Buck, I'll add another to my list of people I'd like to see other than him, but my other guy is currently employed in LA.

edit: the Ichiro acquisition was brilliant btw. I love it.

So do you think they need a rebuild? Or at least a major overhaul?

Not at all. I was saying that I could see moving on with management if that's what they are going to do, but I don't feel they should. Best team in the AL this year. Why do a rebuild? Sure there are some things that need to be addressed but I don't see any reason for a major overhaul.

The way I see it, and I know it's hard to see it this way, but the Yankee offense is in a huge slump. And each game that goes by it gets worse and snowballs. But they have done it before and then woke up in big way. They won 95 games this year for christ's sake. That's a damn good team. The pitching in the playoffs has been outstanding for us. Unfortunately this is the absolute worst time to slump, so it's hard to see that this still is a good team.

next year Gardner and Mo are back. Hopefully Ichiro will be back (I have to admit I don't know his contract situation at the moment). I would love to see Granderson back, he is a damn good player. He went from MVP contention in 2011 to having a semi-off year while still launching 43 home runs. Jeter, Robbie, and Tex are obviously going to be here. Martin as well. If Arod goes to DH we have to fill 3rd. (hopefully not with Chavez).

Now if some improvements can be made, or we can get a guy like BJ Upton (who I believe is a FA) and a 3B (not sure who is available there) I still think the team is great. The pitching staff is looking real good now that Hughes has found his potential. I just don't see a need for a major overhaul.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

So do you think they need a rebuild? Or at least a major overhaul?
    What's the difference?

Rebuild versus minor tweaks - I see a difference.

Rebuilds are a major overhaul.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Lock this thread, it's lame...if we fire Joe who do we go after? Bobby Valentine?

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    What's the difference?

Rebuild versus minor tweaks - I see a difference.

Rebuilds are a major overhaul.
    The team has had a few major overhauls. 2002, for example. They haven't had a rebuild in a very long time - twenty years or so when Bernie, mo, Andy, Jeter, posada, and others first formed the core of the team.

Steve, you have a very optimistic view, IMO.

NYYF Legend

He's one of the best managers in baseball. Why would the FO fire him?

Thread Information