+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: The bad call... did it matter?

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    Where are the fans that do not want instant replay to aid the umpires?
    Do you NOT listen to Mr. Selig? They are writing him letters like crazy advocating a ban on all technology. (I actually wonder whether these people are using the yellow pages to look up MLB's address or asking their grandchildren to find it for them on the computer thingy)

Quote Originally Posted by gold23 View Post
    Do you NOT listen to Mr. Selig? They are writing him letters like crazy advocating a ban on all technology. (I actually wonder whether these people are using the yellow pages to look up MLB's address or asking their grandchildren to find it for them on the computer thingy)
    I do everything in my power to not listen to Bud Selig. His hair scares me.
    Pardon, for us.

Where are the fans that do not want instant replay to aid the umpires?
    There are many ways to apply "choosing to live in the 1920's". Fans are guilty in their own ways as well.
    [QUOTE=TheKillerB's]Bichette is going to be big, quote me on it.[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by kongull View Post
    There are many ways to apply "choosing to live in the 1920's". Fans are guilty in their own ways as well.
    Would you care to give any examples?
    Pardon, for us.

Quote Originally Posted by apalradio View Post
    True enough, but the lack of offense is not as much of a mystery as it may seem. Fans on this forum have been bemoaning this team's offensive shortcomings for months. The all or nothing slugging approach works over the long haul of a 162 game season. But as we all know, the postseason pitching is usually just too good to rely on slugging your way through. You could see this coming a mile away. It'll be interesting to see if they can pull out of this with what little time is left.
    You speak as if there are a bunch of new pitchers from a higher league that teams bring in just for the playoffs. These are the same guys they were facing during the season.

I don't think the opposing pitching has been all that great. The Yankees are just making them look that way.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Quote Originally Posted by RedRamage View Post
    I'm curious to hear the Yankee fans' perspective on the blown call from last nights game. One person in our game thread over there saying something the effect that the play didn't matter because the Yanks didn't score anyway, so the extra runs were meaningless.
    Much like Doc Brown's blackboard example in Back to the Future, the call shifted the game into a parallel history track. While as it turned out, the Yankees ended up resembling the doofus George McFly, had the error not occurred, perhaps the Yankees would have ended up with a best-seller, that is the accomplished author George McFly. Instead of a weak single, A-Rod might have launched a game-tying HR. Coke would have pitched differently, Leyland and Girardi would have managed differently, etc. No way to know how it would have turned out short of traveling back in time and changing the call to an out and then playing the game from there. I'll go start up my DeLorean right now ...

Click image for larger version

Name:	bttfii_2.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	21321
    I can't complain but sometimes I still do. - Joe Walsh

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    You speak as if there are a bunch of new pitchers from a higher league that teams bring in just for the playoffs. These are the same guys they were facing during the season.

I don't think the opposing pitching has been all that great. The Yankees are just making them look that way.
    Case in point: 0 runs against Anibal Sanchez.
    Last edited by NelsonMuntz; 10-16-12 at 01:17 PM.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by effdamets View Post
    We'll never know.
    But I can say that a pitcher pitching with a 1 run lead probably pitches a bit different than a pitcher pitching with a 3 run lead.
    Agree and that is not to mention that the umps blew a call in the game before on Cano. You never know what would have happened if they had gotten that call right but it cost the Yankees a run and you can speculate that if they had they hit those two homers in the 9th the game would have been over and Jeter never would have gotten hurt! That call in game 2 was just ridiculous and inexcusable considering these umpires are supposed to be the cream of the crop, not to mention that the umpire was well positioned and right on top of the play. I just don't understand how he could have missed it.
    Yogi - Its tough to make predictions, especially about the future.

Would you care to give any examples?
    About 24 hours ago people were making excuses for Arod's in-game flirting, saying Babe Ruth would've done the same. Living in the 1920's.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by matt2351 View Post
    I think the blown call at first in game one was bigger.
    Definitely. Would have changed the game. In game 2 even if it went 18 innings we wouldnt have scored a run.
    2009 World Champs Baby!#27
    Yankee Video Podcast
    [URL="http://insidetheyankees.mevio.com/"]http://www.youtube.com/user/tomertalmy[/URL]
    [IMG]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2488/4076670577_4c7b5f858a.jpg[/IMG]

True enough, but the lack of offense is not as much of a mystery as it may seem. Fans on this forum have been bemoaning this team's offensive shortcomings for months. The all or nothing slugging approach works over the long haul of a 162 game season. But as we all know, the postseason pitching is usually just too good to rely on slugging your way through. You could see this coming a mile away. It'll be interesting to see if they can pull out of this with what little time is left.
    So what is the excuse for all the other playoff offenses that have absolutely sucked this offseason?

Quote Originally Posted by kongull View Post
    About 24 hours ago people were making excuses for Arod's in-game flirting, saying Babe Ruth would've done the same. Living in the 1920's.
    That's quite the stretch there kongull.
    Pardon, for us.

Not a single post in regard's to RamMan's excellent analogy? Shame on you, NYYFans. Shame on you.
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    Not a single post in regard's to RamMan's excellent analogy? Shame on you, NYYFans. Shame on you.
    There was nothing more to say.
    Pardon, for us.

That's quite the stretch there kongull.
    Both equally absurd to me. Just this one man's opinion.

NYYF Legend

The only thing we know for sure is if Cano had been called safe the Yankees are up 1-0. Would that be enough to win. Do not know but you would think maybe Girardi uses his relievers differently with a lead in the 7th inning. And Valverde would have still pitched the ninth inning if the Tigers lead was less than 4 runs.

As for Sunday as has been already posted. Even with the right call the Yankees are still behind by 1 run. The result could very well have been the same.

The game changes at that point if the Yanks score. And possibly score some more. I'm not saying they would have won but the game would have been totally different at that point and yes, the chain of events after would have been as well.
    You're a stranger til she whispers you can stay.
    You're a stranger til she whispers that your journey's over.

NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    Thanks for the props. No need to boo the other contributors.
    I can't complain but sometimes I still do. - Joe Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    That might have made you an avid fan, but a worse person. I'm guessing you're being facetious, but if not... c'mon Steve. You've seen infielders range back and forth under a foul ball, yes? You're sitting there and the ball looks like it's coming right at you and you react. Or it's behind you and drifts towards you very quickly in it's descent. Everyone around you is nudging to make a play on it. I doubt these fans are thinking they're going to prevent an out. And, although I know if I had the presence of mind at the time I'd make a different decision, the ball is technically out of play and if they go for it so be it. In other words, I admire a fan for getting out of the way, but certainly not going to hate on one that doesn't. And I REALLY don't like when players get miffed at fans in those scenarios, like Alou did on the Bartman play or as Tex mildly did on the play I think you're referring to.
    Obviously I'm just angry and venting. You're correct just being facetious. But I do feel strongly about seat responsibility. I understand and have heard all the arguments that the ball is fair play once it goes into the stands. But just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. Anyone that interferes with the game in a way that hurts the Yankees, especially in the playoffs and even more especially when we need wins, you're an ass. Plain and simple. They need to use their heads. When you sit in the first few rows check to see if a player is coming over to make a play. If he is, get the eff out of the damn way and let him try. It's not that hard. Even if it looks like he may not, be proactive and give him a chance. The players are better at judging these things than the fans are, if he's coming full steam to you assume he's trying to make the play. Don't interfere.
    You're a stranger til she whispers you can stay.
    You're a stranger til she whispers that your journey's over.

NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

NYYF Triple Crown

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

So what is the excuse for all the other playoff offenses that have absolutely sucked this offseason?
    That just proves the point. The teams that make the postseason are the best teams. Typically, you will see the best teams' best pitchers. Other offenses are likely to be shut down as well, but personally I am not at all surprised at how impotent they've made our offense look.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Man View Post
    Thanks for the props. No need to boo the other contributors.
    I was going to go back in time but my Flux Capacitor has not been working lately.

That just proves the point. The teams that make the postseason are the best teams. Typically, you will see the best teams' best pitchers. Other offenses are likely to be shut down as well, but personally I am not at all surprised at how impotent they've made our offense look.
    How does that prove the point?

NYYF Triple Crown

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

How does that prove the point?
    I think my comments pretty much explained that. You may disagree with that point of view, but with all due respect what else would you like me to say?
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

Thread Information