+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Swisher is upset about fans booing him. Are we wrong?

What is everyone's opinion on booing players when they are slumping?

I admit that I have booed ARod on numerous occasions this October. I pay $2k for my Saturday season tix, $35-45 to park per game, $10-12 for a beer. Is it wrong that I expect a player that is being paid as high as ARod to get a clutch hit in October?

And as for Swisher - he IS having an awful postseason & he DID miss that ball the other night.

Are we wrong to boo our own players? What is everyone's opinion?

http://www.examiner.com/article/swis...-turned-on-him

NYYF Triple Crown

Re: Swisher is upset about fans booing him. Are we wrong?

There's a way to prevent it, Nick.
    Jimmy G. (Seniority 03/28/1994)
    1994-2008: Main Res MVP Sec. 14, Row G
    2009: Section 330, Row 6
    2010: Section 233A, Row 20
    2011: Section 229, Row 16 *All Sunday Plans*
    2012: No longer STH, liberated!

NYYF Legend

110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

I remember a few years back when the crowd was going wild booing Alex....Steve made a thread. There certainly was a lively debate and the thread was unbelievable long. I'm not in favor of booing players that may be struggling but I certainly understand why some fans chose to boo - they feel they are paying money to see a good game and to watch some of them continuously crap-out at the plate is infuriating.

Quote Originally Posted by jyanks View Post

I, admit, I have booed ARod on numerous occasions this October. I pay $2k for my Saturday season tix, $35-45 to park per game, $10-12 for a beer. Is it wrong that I expect a player that is being paid as high as ARod to get a clutch hit in October?

And as for Swisher - he IS having an awful postseason & he DID miss that ball the other night.

I don't boo players. Playing the game for as long as I did at the level I played gave me an appreciation for how difficult the game is and can be. Granted they do get paid a lot of money to play the game and we pay a lot to watch it but when you break it down it is still the same game that we all played. No matter how good a player is and no matter how much money they make there is still an opponent on the other side trying to make him fail and he gets paid a good amount to do that as well. In the heat of the moment do i get pissed at Granderson swining at curve balls in the dirt? Sure. Do I get the urge to scream and yell at my TV when he does so? Sure. And sometimes in the heat of the moment i do. But then i remember how many curveballs in the dirt i took a hack at and I am brought back to earth.

Is it wrong for people to boo? No. People do what they want. It is wrong however when people start to get personal.

Memo to Swish, do something about it.

He's having a cat fight with the Bleacher Creatures. Not his smartest move since they're among his biggest fans.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ThaKoolAidKid View Post
    He's having a cat fight with the Bleacher Creatures. Not his smartest move since they're his biggest fans.
    I was wondering about that too - I'll be interested to hear what the leader, Bald Vinny has to say on facebook about Nick being upset about the bleacher creatures booing him.

Devoted Member

Too bad for him if he's a pansy and can't take it. He will be popular playing for Boston next year and his precious feelings won't be hurt.

NYYF Legend

Booing implies that a player is purposefully failing. Besides, I don't see how it could be motivational.

Quote Originally Posted by 4bronxbombers View Post
    I was wondering about that too - I'll be interested to hear what the leader, Bald Vinny has to say on facebook about Nick being upset about the bleacher creatures booing him.
    https://twitter.com/baldvinny

Read the saga starting from 6pm Sunday. The Creatures are offended and Nick is 'hurt'.

NYYF Legend

Welcome to the Bronx, chump. It actually takes a lot to get fans to boo you, a LOT. If you're in that position now, it's because you haven't done anything good in a long time and actually been pretty bad

I don't really feel a player deserves to be booed unless there's a reason to think they're not giving a full effort. And to the extent that booing negatively affects a player, obviously it's foolish for fans to get on a guy and make things worse. That said, when things are numbingly bad, as the offense of many of our guys has been, it gets to you as a fan, and it's hard not to let it out. I'm sympathetic to our guys who I'm sure are trying hard to succeed, but I also feel like for all the great things that come with the career they've got, there are some bad things that come along with it, and fans expressing frustration when your performance really stinks is one of them.

I am not a "booer" myself.

However, I do not have a problem with anyone else who choose to express themselves in that manner. The people pay their hard earned money so they can do as they please as long as it doesn't cross the line of personal and family attack. At that point, I don't agree with it.

As for Swisher, the fans have been very patient with him through 4 postseasons now. They won it all in '09, so it wasn't a big deal. Same struggles in '10, but the pitching stunk, so it was looked over. It happened last year and folks started to notice but mumbled it under their breath. Now you have this playoff run and folks finally dropped the gloves.

A-Rod was asked about booing in the postgame last night. He said he has no problem with the booing because the team wasn't giving the crowd anything to cheer about. To his credit, he didn't make any excuses.

Swisher cannot win this battle with the fans. Though, if the ALCS ends in Detroit, he won't have to worry about it any longer because he would have played his last game as a Yankee.

(An extra thing on his "sensitivity" - I'm willing to bet all that sensitivity will go away the moment him and his reps asks the Yankees or some other team for $75-100 million in free agency.)
    MLB on FOX blackouts - NO MORE!!

NYYF Legend

Welcome to the latest episode of "when things go wrong in NY." I dunno but Nicks act works well when things are going right. His smile and "yo dude, let's party" style go great. But that style does not work so well when the fans are witnessing a dissapearing act of galactic proportions, as a matter of fact, it only makes it worse.
    Jay Buhner for Ken Phelps!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    Welcome to the Bronx, chump. It actually takes a lot to get fans to boo you, a LOT. If you're in that position now, it's because you haven't done anything good in a long time and actually been pretty bad
    Sort of like Cano?

Now look at Cano, a lost figure in a lost-cause lineup. He has gone hitless in 26 consecutive at-bats, the longest streak in postseason history
    http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/stor...k-yankees-lose

NYYF Legend

In other words, the fans who spend a small fortune for tickets, overpriced food, etc. to help pay for the players multi million dollars salaries, shouldn't be allowed to vocally express their displeasure when the players don't perform? Yeah right. Swisher became a professional player knowing full well the consequences of good and bad performances. Swish, who's as emotional a guy as there is, should understand that fans have only one legal outlet to vent their own emotions.
    [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]We do not see things as they are. We see them as we are.

It is never too late to be what you might have been.
    [/FONT]

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ThaKoolAidKid View Post
    https://twitter.com/baldvinny

Read the saga starting from 6pm Sunday. The Creatures are offended and Nick is 'hurt'.
    Thanks - haven't been on my Twitter acc't lately. What a sh*tshow.

A) I'm not at all happy with Swisher's performance this post season.
    B) I don't want him back for another season.
    C) It is rather upsetting that fans are shouting personal insults at the guy. Totally uncalled for.
    D) I don't understand how this Bald Vinny character has such a following. I have zero interest in him and wish he'd go away.
    Pardon, for us.

NYYF Triple Crown

Having been to hundreds of NYY games over many years, regular season and playoffs alike, I have to side more towards GG's opinion.

I have never heard a NYY player get booed after having one bad 0 for 5 day, or even a short string of bad days. It's only after a long pattern of really bad play that I've ever seen this occur. And today's information-age way of spreading the news all over TV, the internet, twitter, etc, really amplifies when someone is going bad much more so than just a few years ago, and it really blows up the situation.

I'm sure none of these guys that are slumping like the situation that they're in and are making every effort to pull out of it. But at the same time, the fans have a right to express their discontent with what's going on. The booing is the culmination of a long build-up process where they weren't booing them while they were trying to work it out. A player having a bad game that goes 0-5 and gets booed is a lot different than someone perhaps going 0-25 or 0-30 and then acts shocked and offended if he gets booed. I think the 0-5 guy has a little more basis for being perturbed at being booed than the latter. The 0-25 guy still doesn't have to necessarily like it, but definitely shouldn't be surprised or offended when it comes.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by StingrayJG View Post
    Having been to hundreds of NYY games over many years, regular season and playoffs alike, I have to side more towards GG's opinion.

I have never heard a NYY player get booed after having one bad 0 for 5 day, or even a short string of bad days. It's only after a long pattern of really bad play that I've ever seen this occur. And today's information-age way of spreading the news all over TV, the internet, twitter, etc, really amplifies when someone is going bad much more so than just a few years ago, and it really blows up the situation.

I'm sure none of these guys that are slumping like the situation that they're in and are making every effort to pull out of it. But at the same time, the fans have a right to express their discontent with what's going on. The booing is the culmination of a long build-up process where they weren't booing them while they were trying to work it out. A player having a bad game that goes 0-5 and gets booed is a lot different than someone perhaps going 0-25 or 0-30 and then acts shocked and offended if he gets booed. I think the 0-5 guy has a little more basis for being perturbed at being booed than the latter. The 0-25 guy still doesn't have to necessarily like it, but definitely shouldn't be surprised or offended when it comes.
    From Girardi's press conference; he stated that the guys need to make adjustments at the plate and does not know why they are not . .

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    From Girardi's press conference; he stated that the guys need to make adjustments at the plate and does not know why they are not . .
    Well if that's the case that makes them more deserving of the boos then.

D) I don't understand how this Bald Vinny character has such a following. I have zero interest in him and wish he'd go away.[/QUOTE]

I agree 100%. Why does he get to yell when everyone else can't?

NYYF Cy Young

I boo players that I never liked that much in the first place. I don't boo my favorites, though.
    The Bob Loblaw Law Blog

NYYF Cy Young

I generally don't boo players and think it is counterproductive, but this weekend's games were so excruciating that even the most patient fans undoubtedly needed a way to vent their frustration! Agree that family should be left out of it, but Arod's take on it was much more adult than Swisher's. It's too bad his tenure in the Bronx will probably end with that bitterness, so I hope he comes around to Arod's way of thinking at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by jyanks View Post

I admit that I have booed ARod on numerous occasions this October. I pay $2k for my Saturday season tix, $35-45 to park per game, $10-12 for a beer. Is it wrong that I expect a player that is being paid as high as ARod to get a clutch hit in October?

Since you asked, my opinion is that booing your own players is illogical and counterproductive, and should be reserved for guys like Pavano who clearly could give two rats a$$es about their team's fortunes and only their own. Not hustling? Coming to camp out of shape and not getting into peak condition required to do your job? I get that. But booing a guy because he's struggling is senseless.

If you pay thousands of dollars for stocks that don't perform, is it logical to start a derisive PR campaign about the company simply because you "paid for that right" and you can? Is that wrong to expect something you paid for to deliver the value that you expect and demand? No. Is it right to make it personal and potentially reduce the value of what you expect and demand? Not in my opinion.

All that said, I do understand booing guys like Swisher, A-Rod and Granderson (and even Cano) this post-season. They have been beyond any acceptable boundary of performance regardless of effort. I choose not to do it, but I don't begrudge anyone that does.

However, that's where it should stop. Anyone who (as has been alleged) threatened him or his family needs to really stop watching sports. I'm a die hard fan, sports are important in my life but anyone that deeply involved that they would even casually direct those types of comments towards a player really has issues that sports apparently exacerbate. Go find a new interest.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyA View Post
    Too bad for him if he's a pansy and can't take it. He will be popular playing for Boston next year and his precious feelings won't be hurt.
    A pansy eh? If what is being alleged is true, I don't blame him at all for what he said. In fact, while it would be unfortunate and regrettable, I wouldn't blame him if he was less measured and actually went after a fan(s) that threatened his family.

Thread Information