+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 36 FirstFirst ... 10 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 30 ... LastLast
    dont mess with the jesus dont_ya_know24's Avatar

Re: ALCS: Detroit Tigers vs New York Yankees

go with Hughes.
    I really thought I played great defense when the ball wasn't hit at me, Alex Rodriguez said.

They should just rest anyone who will definitely be back next year.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Devoted Member

It's so frustrating watching this offense. They swing at so many pitches out of the zone. Granderson, Swisher, and Arod are not only automatic outs, but automatic strike outs. Hopefully they can snap out.

Girardi was asked specifically after the game, who gets the Game 3 start, and he was pretty emphatic that Hughes is his Game 3 starter.
    "Owning the Yankees is like owning the Mona Lisa." -- George M. Steinbrenner III

Yankee Stadium: 1923-2008 DiMaggio5CF's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Battingly View Post
    Girardi was asked specifically after the game, who gets the Game 3 start, and he was pretty emphatic that Hughes is his Game 3 starter.
    Well if he hadn't talked it over with anyone yet, specifically Sabathia, he can't say that Sabathia is his Game 3 starter just in case, even if unlikely, Sabathia can't go for whatever reason.

You can commit to Hughes tonight then change it tomorrow. But you can't change it tonight and then change it back to Hughes tomorrow. Well, you can, but then it would become a much bigger deal.

I'm not saying that they will or won't change it, I'm just saying that on that short notice, he probably hadn't talked it over with anyone, and that was probably the only answer he could give.
    27-Time World Champions

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by yanksftw View Post
    with the way our offense is going I wouldn't be surprised if we slap verlander around. it's counterintuitive but that's how these things tend to go
    Actually. I'm thinking the opposite.

It wouldn't surprise me if he no-hit the Yankees.

They are just pathetic right now.

I hope Cashman isn't making plans for the winter, because he's going to be busy.

Anyone think the Tigers are cheating in this series by using hitters?

Forum Regular

The team looks lethargic and old...and A-Rod is a complete debacle. What is truly strange is Cano...he's been money the entire season and the play-offs roll around and he has the biggest slump of all-time. So many wasted chances in Game 1...I think Jeter getting hurt and then losing Game 1 took its toll on the team and was reflected in Game 2.
    Vin Scully on Stan Musial (aka Baseball's Perfect Knight):

"The guy was so good, he'd take your breath away"

I like Hughes in Comerica. Nice and big ball park for him to get flyouts.
    EvilEmpireDC: Fans bitch about anything lol

Devoted Member

My lineup for Tuesday:

RF Ichiro
    DH Nunez
    2B Cano
    1B Teixeira
    LF Ibanez
    3B Rodriguez
    CF Granderson
    C Martin
    SS Nix

Probably same results, but might as well see if Nunez's bat has any hits.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeefan3783 View Post
    My lineup for Tuesday:

RF Ichiro
    DH Nunez
    2B Cano
    1B Teixeira
    LF Ibanez
    3B Rodriguez
    CF Granderson
    C Martin
    SS Nix

Probably same results, but might as well see if Nunez's bat has any hits.
    I'd rather have Nunez at short than Ibanez in left in Detroit.

1) Gardner LF
    2) Ichiro RF
    3) Tex 1B
    4) Ibanez DH
    5) A-Rod 3B
    6) Cano 2B
    7) Nunez SS
    8) Martin C
    9) Granderson CF

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

On another topic, why are there empty seats in Yankee Stadium in the ALCS? Is it the fault of management pricing out the fans or scalpers or is it fans not wanting to pay to see this team right now? I know NYS sells out much less frequently than the older, bigger original stadium, but I didn't think that would happen in the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    On another topic, why are there empty seats in Yankee Stadium in the ALCS? Is it the fault of management pricing out the fans or scalpers or is it fans not wanting to pay to see this team right now? I know NYS sells out much less frequently than the older, bigger original stadium, but I didn't think that would happen in the playoffs.
    a cominbation of different reasons imo, the ticket prices are too high, MLB fatigue with so many games in a roll, and most importantly baseball popularity is declining. Even in major east coast cities that's the bulwark of traditional baseball fanbase like boston and new york, the sport is not connecting to fanbase in particular younger fans the way it use to. Yankee stadium is no longer the place to be as the social event. It's lost that edge and excitement.

Quote Originally Posted by yanksftw View Post
    a cominbation of different reasons imo, the ticket prices are too high, MLB fatigue with so many games in a roll, and most importantly baseball popularity is declining. Even in major east coast cities that's the bulwark of traditional baseball fanbase like boston and new york, the sport is not connecting to fanbase in particular younger fans the way it use to. Yankee stadium is no longer the place to be as the social event. It's lost that edge and excitement.
    eh, there was also a giants game. baseball is plenty popular and is growing.

NYYF Legend

I don't understand Girardi's reluctance to sit Swisher and play Gardner in the OF instead. Claiming that Gardy doesn't have enough at-bats is nonsense. No matter how few he has, Gardy could be no worse offensively than Swisher has been the entire PS and he's a huge defensive upgrade. If he does manage to get on base, his speed could be a necessary spark. I really wish Joe would give him a start in Game 3.

I hope Joe sticks with Phil Hughes for Gm. 3. I like him pitching in Comerica and while it sounds crazy, I still believe that the Yankees can get to Verlander. Find a way to win Tuesday, throw CC on Wednesday and there's a good chance this series is tied with the momentum on the side of the Yankees.

The starting pitchers are averaging 7.2 IP, sporting a 2.33 ERA and 0.94 WHIP (tainted by Jeff Nelson's call), and have a 48:11 K:BB in 54 IP.

And somehow the Yankees are 3-4 this postseason.

NYYF Legend

So much for "pitching wins in October"...

Quote Originally Posted by Panamaniac42 View Post
    The starting pitchers are averaging 7.2 IP, sporting a 2.33 ERA and 0.94 WHIP (tainted by Jeff Nelson's call), and have a 48:11 K:BB in 54 IP.

And somehow the Yankees are 3-4 this postseason.
    I bet one of these games the offense breaks out and scores 8 runs, and the pitching gives up 9.

It's been one of those weeks.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    I bet one of these games the offense breaks out and scores 8 runs, and the pitching gives up 9.

It's been one of those weeks.
    Dude, I was just saying this but used 5/6.
    Team Northern Lights

The Yankees have scored a total of 20 runs in their seven playoff games, including just eleven in the five games at home. The scored four runs in the two games against the Tigers this weekend, and all four came in one inning off the combustible Jose Valverde. In fact, non-Valverde pitchers have thrown 40.1 consecutive scoreless innings for Detroit, which is ridiculous. And I thought the Yankees were getting great pitching.
    The Yankee starters have actually pitched better, but yea, that's what a bunch of hacks on offense will do for ya.

Are we batting Cano ahead of Tex so Cano get pitches? It doesn't seem to be working. Bat Tex 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    Are we batting Cano ahead of Tex so Cano get pitches? It doesn't seem to be working. Bat Tex 3rd.
    Yes... it's been so long since Tex hit third....

Yes, switch Tex and Cano. While we're at it, let's rearrange the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Sorry...I'm just not feeling it. You can sit Swisher for Gardner, put ARod at short, Chavez at third, etc etc and it's not going to get it done. Just put the guys out there that got you here and hope for the best. Actually, at this point, hope Verlander doesn't completely embarrass them.

My History. Your Tradition. JDPNYY's Avatar

The Yankees are gonna win the next four games.
    I'm frantic... Jeter Ceremony Date - when will this be announced????

Thank goodness we now know.

The Sausage King of Chicago Abe Frohman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    The Yankees are gonna win the next four games.
    I'd love to be on board with you, but if we dont win tomoro night against Verlander this team is getting swept. Flat out broom. Detroit does it to us again.

It sounds crazy but they need to find a way to beat Verlander if they want ANY REMOTE possibilty of winning this series.
    ? Can switching to Geico really save you 15 % or more on car insurance ? ? Does the postman always ring twice ?

Thread Information