+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 36 FirstFirst ... 3 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 23 ... LastLast

Re: ALCS: Detroit Tigers vs New York Yankees

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    I'm fine with pinch hitting for and benching Arod. He's been awful and the team can win without him. Cano is a completely different animal here. There is no reason to ignore that at any time he could have 4 hits and drive in 8 runs. Arod's chances of doing that are slim. But I do agree at this point you have to roll with him. Kinda have no choice.
    They are slim and I dont expect him to turn it around. But I think him doing so needs to happen or this team is done. ARod and Cano need to get hot. Not just one of them, but both. I mean if its not them then it will be nobody and this team is done in 4.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Man_With_No_Plan View Post
    He's having a better postseason than Cano.

It would obviously be an extreme reaction, but clearly Joe has no problem doing that... so why not do it with more than just one person who isn't even the worst looking player this postseason?
    A-Rod has been severely underwhelming all year long. Cano has been the exact opposite. By benching Cano, you'd be doing so based on a small sample size.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    If losing this game after another ninth inning comeback and Jeter going down doesn't wake these guys the f*** up and get them going, nothing will.

They come out swinging and win big tomorrow they might have a shot at the series.

They lose tomorrow I think they get swept.
    I agree, but the manager has the give the offense every chance to bust out, and that doesn't happen by sitting the SS (Nunez) who is capable of making an impact offensively and on the bases for the safer choice (Nix) defensively.

First the manager has to put us in a position to succeed, then I agree its on the players.

I'll say it again, you start Nunez and hold Nix back for late innings defense.
    "Owning the Yankees is like owning the Mona Lisa." -- George M. Steinbrenner III

Quote Originally Posted by joshuaeagan View Post

We can't go reinventing the wheel at this point by replacing everyone in the lineup. The most useless of everyone in that lineup is Swisher. He is also the worst defender and We have an obvious replacement in Gardner.

We are already losing Jeter - so adding Nunez (NOT NIX!!!!) and Gardner may be the spark that this offense needs.

Gardner, Ichiro and Nunez should be running EVERY time they get on base. Make something happen for once.
    Dead on the money.

I would have Gardner, Ichiro and Nunez hitting 9-1-2 .... in that order ... and green lights across the board.

Lets see if we can put some pressure on these pitchers and defenses for a change, and then maybe these pitchers will make some mistakes with fat fastballs, because breaking balls are like giving those three a base.

As for Swisher, he's a disaster, offensively and now defensively too, so we gotta get him out of there.
    "Owning the Yankees is like owning the Mona Lisa." -- George M. Steinbrenner III

Quote Originally Posted by Battingly View Post
    Dead on the money.

I would have Gardner, Ichiro and Nunez hitting 9-1-2 .... in that order ... and green lights across the board.

Lets see if we can put some pressure on these pitchers and defenses for a change, and then maybe these pitchers will make some mistakes with fat fastballs, because breaking balls are like giving those three a base.

As for Swisher, he's a disaster, offensively and now defensively too, so we gotta get him out of there.
    I tend to agree here...

Move Ichiro to right, Gardner in left, DH A-Rod and put Chavez at third.
    I think they have to move away from the "power" lineups and play more aggressive on the base paths.
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by smellycat View Post
    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/no-show...ving-fans.html

No show: Yankees try to disguise empty seats at ALCS by moving fans
    I will confirm this fact - I was sitting in section 407A for Game 1 when an usher came up and sent the entire first row of 407B down to the section right below us.

Section 334 was almost entirely empty for the first three innings - I have a picture of it.

And, yet, somehow tonight's announced attendance was 47,000+
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Quote Originally Posted by effdamets View Post
    I tend to agree here...

Move Ichiro to right, Gardner in left, DH A-Rod and put Chavez at third.

I think they have to move away from the "power" lineups and play more aggressive on the base paths.
    Can't do that, eff, cause then we lose Ibanez and right now thats like sitting Reggie Jackson circa 1977

If Ichiro and Gardner are playing the corners, Ibanez has to DH, that means you have to choose between Arod or Chavez at 3rd, and at this point we might as well roll with Arod and hope he gets hot, cause Chavez is not hitting either.

Quote Originally Posted by bronxbombchick View Post
    To continue the chain of positivity, we survived without Rivera.

And, we proved we can actually hit clutch hits in the ninth...even if ended horribly.

And we demoralized their bullpen.
    co-sign

Have a little faith people

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by TheGameEpisode2 View Post
    So...what's the lineup now?

Ichiro
    Cano
    Tex
    Ibanez
    A-Rod
    Martin
    Swish
    Granderson
    Nix/Nunez?

I wonder how differently things would have been if the umps didn't blow those two calls.
    I don't see this lineup working. Even with his hitting woes, you can't bat Cano second.

I go:

Ichiro
    Swisher
    Ibanez
    Texiera
    Cano
    ARod
    Martin
    Granderson
    Núñez (who should definitely start over Nix)

Quote Originally Posted by The Comic Book Guy View Post
    I think it's time to start thinking about having Gardner and Nunez in the starting lineup with Ichiro batting 9-1-2.
    Yeah, I like this idea

Bench Swisher, at least for 1 game

9 - Gardner
    1 - Ichiro
    2 - Nunez

Then mix and match with all the sluggers, but give the team a chance to play some small ball and make things happen with baserunning

I might even bat Ibanez 3rd and drop Cano to 5th the way he's been swinging the bat and grounding out so much

Quote Originally Posted by Black Sabbathia View Post

co-sign

Have a little faith people
    I tried that already, and then the idiot Cashman announces that Nix and not Nunez will replace Jeter as the starter, because thats what we need right now, another guy who can't make an impact offensively barring a miracle.

Thats how we're gonna replace Jeter and give this offense the spark it so desperately needs.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by yankees2010 View Post
    I would imagine that ankle was hanging by a thread all along and Jeter was trying to play through it
    I watched the video of the injury and you can see that Jeter landed very awkwardly on his left foot on the play - I even said ouch when I saw the video.

The really haven't released any details on the injury, other than they saw a crack. Right now, it does not sound like surgery is indicated, so that suggests that the fracture is non-displaced and it is unlikely that it is an avulsion fracture.

It would not surprise me to find that it is a fracture of the fibula above the lateral malleolus.

BTW - did anyone notice how clogged Jeter's cleats were in the shots shown after his injury? I am not suggesting that this clogging was a factor in the injury - I was just surprised. They looked like a pitcher's cleats on a rainy day.

Quote Originally Posted by yankees2010 View Post

I would imagine that ankle was hanging by a thread all along and Jeter was trying to play through it.
    If thats true, and knowing Jeter I suspect that it is, then the rest of these clowns better kill themselves to win this series now, cause their captain wanted it so bad he kept going on a bum leg until the bone finally snapped.

If thats true, and knowing Jeter I suspect that it is, then the rest of these clowns better kill themselves to win this series now, cause their captain wanted it so bad he kept going on a bum leg until the bone finally snapped.
    I dont want to accuse anyone of not trying. But its maddening when you see the same hitters repeat the same mistakes over and over and over again. No adjustments, a piss poor approach at the plate and getting yourself out the same way/bailing out the other pitcher.

NYYF Legend

I am not saying that Jeter wasn't playing on a battered lower extremity, but I really question this "hanging by a thread" perspective that is being suggested.

Watch the video between 0:52 and 0:54 and watch what happens with Jeter's left ankle - he lands on the medial aspect of the foot then rolls it over laterally. This action very commonly produces ankle fractures.

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/...s_nyy&c_id=nyy

Could his existing injuries have increased the chances for an injury - absolutely. But the problems that he was experiencing were on the medial aspect of his tibia and his foot, not his fibula. Although it has not been specified, I would bet good money that the injury is a fracture to the fibula, probably either an avulsion fracture where the tip of the fibula is pulled off by trauma or a crack about two to three inches up from there.

Forgive me for posting this in multiple threads, but its just so unbelievable I feel like it cannot be posted enough.

ESPN Yankees blog

Nick Swisher, a free agent to be, reportedly wants “Jayson Werth money” this offseason -- somewhere in the neighborhood of 7 Years, $126 Million.

In the immortal words of John McEnroe: "You cannot be serious!"

At this point Swisher must be hoping Girardi sits him the way he benched Arod.

The last thing he needs is to be further exposed as a massive October choke artist, seeing as, you know, he's looking for Jayson Werth money.

Guys I need therapy...
    Twenty Seven and Counting.

NYYF Legend

Hopefully the injury of Jeter wakes the whole team up.

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    Hopefully the injury of Jeter wakes the whole team up.
    You said it - I've been wondering (to be honest, half assuming) that Jeter will find a way to be on the bench if they'll let him just to be with his teammates.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by zimfan View Post
    You said it - I've been wondering (to be honest, half assuming) that Jeter will find a way to be on the bench if they'll let him just to be with his teammates.
    Jeter will throw out the first pitch tonight if it will help his teammates.

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    Jeter will throw out the first pitch tonight if it will help his teammates.
    i sure hope so

NYYF Legend

i sure hope so
    It would be a great moment - the place would literally be rocking.

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    It would be a great moment - the place would literally be rocking.
    oh god, i'm going to have to go out and buy more kleenex....

NYYF Legend

oh god, i'm going to have to go out and buy more kleenex....
    My apologies for costing you money - unless you also own Kimberly-Clark stock, in which case you are merely attempting to manipulate the stock market

Thread Information