+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 ... LastLast

Re: ALCS: Detroit Tigers vs New York Yankees

After giving this some consideration, I don't think Girardi will start Kuroda on short rest.

Initially I did, but I changed my mind, Kuroda threw too many innings this year and I suspect they rather have him on five days rest than three.

I think this will be our pitching alignment for whatever its worth:

G1. Andy Pettitte
    G2. David Phelps
    ==
    G3. Hiroki Kuroda
    G4. CC Sabathia
    G5. Andy Pettitte
    ==
    G6. Phil Hughes
    G7. CC/Kuroda
    "Owning the Yankees is like owning the Mona Lisa." -- George M. Steinbrenner III

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

I go with Phelps in Game 2 - there is too much concern about Kuroda already being out of gas to try to get him to go on short rest.

Question - if you intend to go with Phelps in Game 2, do you change your pen (Garcia, perhaps) to give you another long-arm in the pen?

Question - what is Chamberlain's status after taking the bat off the elbow yesterday?
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

NYYF Cy Young

What scares me about Detroit is obviously their starting pitching, but their ballpark... With the huge dimensions, Yankees will have to piece together hits like they did today, but have had problems doing in the past. One good thing is for the most part the Yanks still take their pitches, and detroits bullpen is not nearly as good as Baltimore

I just pray that Andruw Jones does not make the roster

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post

Question - if you intend to go with Phelps in Game 2, do you change your pen (Garcia, perhaps) to give you another long-arm in the pen?
    I think we have too if Phelps starts G2, but I think it will be Nova and not Garcia.

I think we'll carry 12 pitchers in this round, the ones we carried in the ALDS (assuming Joba is ok) and Nova.

The bench player we eliminate is probably Nunez.
    "Owning the Yankees is like owning the Mona Lisa." -- George M. Steinbrenner III

Quote Originally Posted by NZ NYY Fan View Post
    Pettitte versus Fister in game one I believe. Should be a great game. Loving baseball every day this postseason
    ugh..fister.

another one of those mediocre/average/slightly above average pitchers who throws a bunch of offspeed junk at the plate and dominates our lineup. GG.

Only pitchers not available tonight were Andy and Kuroda which makes me think game 2 will be Kuroda.

Quote Originally Posted by yankeesrule View Post
    I just pray that Andruw Jones does not make the roster
    Why would he? There are no lefty starters and Phil Coke shouldn't scare anyone.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

when the going gets tough ... JSG's Avatar

for tomorrow i like ........

Jeter
    Ich
    Cano
    Tex
    Ibanez DH
    Grandy
    A Rod (lucky 7)
    Swish
    Martin

Quote Originally Posted by JSG View Post

Jeter
    Ich
    Cano
    Tex
    Ibanez DH
    Grandy
    A Rod (lucky 7)
    Swish
    Martin
    Two L/L sequences. Come on, by now you have to know Girardi can't do that.

I have no way of predicting what Girardi will do. It will be a big reset and he could do anything really. But I do agree that A-Rod will get the start.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Quote Originally Posted by LTRAIN View Post
    Only pitchers not available tonight were Andy and Kuroda which makes me think game 2 will be Kuroda.
    I'm thinking Kuroda 3 CC 4. Gotta get game 1 behind Andy, then these decisions become easier.

PS Will Eppley take Joba's spot on the roster ?? Will Dickerson take Brett's spot ??

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by frostdude1 View Post
    I like CC going in game 4 and 7!

Revenge is what we will get
    Please, let this happen.

The Angels beating us 2 times/series in a row was something I could understand: their approach and team was constructed quite differently from our's.

Detroit seems to be constructed the same way as NY, only younger. Come on Grandy! Make Motown rue the day they traded you!
    I LOVE New York!!!
    VIVE LA FRANCE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    Two L/L sequences. Come on, by now you have to know Girardi can't do that.

I have no way of predicting what Girardi will do. It will be a big reset and he could do anything really. But I do agree that A-Rod will get the start.
    [cue the beatles tune ........because i told you before, nooooooooo.........]

generally no, but the main guy to break this up is Swisher, who's scuffling big-time. plus, A Rod will have some former-prime-time company at the bottom !!

Jeter
    Ich
    Cano
    Tex
    Ibanez DH
    Grandy
    A Rod (lucky 7)
    Swish
    Martin
    I like it, I wouldn't change a thing, although I am tempted to bench Swisher, but for now I'll give him a clean slate.

Quote Originally Posted by Battingly View Post
    After giving this some consideration, I don't think Girardi will start Kuroda on short rest.

Initially I did, but I changed my mind, Kuroda threw too many innings this year and I suspect they rather have him on five days rest than three.

I think this will be our pitching alignment for whatever its worth:

G1. Andy Pettitte
    G2. David Phelps
    ==
    G3. Hiroki Kuroda
    G4. CC Sabathia
    G5. Andy Pettitte
    ==
    G6. Phil Hughes
    G7. CC/Kuroda
    I dont know if I like the fact that our two best pitchers would only make a combined 3 starts

Quote Originally Posted by Jax Teller View Post
    Verlander is going to have angry sex with this lineup.
    If Verlander's going to do that, I shudder to think what Fister will do.
    Don't tease me, you know what I do for a living.

Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045 View Post

I dont know if I like the fact that our two best pitchers would only make a combined 3 starts
    Me either, but thats the price we gotta pay for losing Game 4 and for Bud Selig's moronic (no off day between the ALDS & ALCS) schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    If Verlander's going to do that, I shudder to think what Fister will do.

He likes to be called Mister Fister so his intentions are not pure.

100% !! ...... but meanwhile, let's pad the WC game with extra travel days before and after ....... but WAIT, i thought we were trying to penalize the WC team, not the division winner w the best record in the AL ........ !!!
    Thats the part that really galls me too.

Was it really necessary to sandwich the WC Game around two off days, and none between the ALDS & ALCS.

Bud Selig is a moron.

Yankees are definitely underdogs in this series on paper, but as we've seen a million times any thing can happen in October. It's going to be difficult to arrange the rotation thanks to the scheduling that disadvantages the 1 seed. We're going to have to use a 5th starter, ideally we'd do that against Verlander, but that's not possible unless Kuroda goes on 3 days rest.
    "We understand that John Henry must be embarrassed, frustrated and disappointed by his failure in this transaction. Unlike the Yankees, he chose not to go the extra distance for his fans in Boston."

Yanks in 5.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees13 View Post

It's going to be difficult to arrange the rotation thanks to the scheduling that disadvantages the 1 seed.
    Thats a disgrace. The #1 Seed should be rewarded, not punished.

As JSG said, the WC teams got two off days. That WC game was sandwiched between two off days. Yet the 1 seed doesn't get one off day between the ALDS and ALCS. That is ridiculous.

27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

The scheduling is what it is. We should have closed out on Saturday. No use complaining about it or using it as an excuse.

I'd go:

Pettitte
    Kuroda
    Hughes
    CC
    Pettite
    Kuroda
    CC

The reason I wouldn't start Phelps in game 2 is threefold. 1) Kuroda is a better pitcher at home and in day games, 2) It allows us to use Kuroda for two starts if necessary, both at home, with the second on five days rest, 3) I think we're going to need Phelps in long relief in this series, and he's really the only one I trust to do it

Not sure if it's necessary to change up the bullpen. If Phelps were starting it might be necessary to add Garcia or Nova. I expect Joba to be on the roster, and I don't think we need less bats on the bench. Nunez is the only guy you could take off. Chavez, Nix and Gardner (who isn't allowed to bat apparently) is not a bench I'm comfortable with when so many of the regulars are struggling.

I was really frustrated by Joe not using Gardner except for 2 defensive innings. I'd advocate replacing him with Dickerson if they have no faith in letting Gardner bat, but I doubt Joe would use Dickerson any differently.

While the scheduling sucks and the Tigers got a day off and we didn't, keep in mind they didn't know until 8PM EST who they were going to play. They had to hop on a plane and fly here. Not a huge advantage exactly but still.

I cannot explain how happy I am that this thread exists!!
    Boo for trading Prado.

Thread Information