+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Congratulations to the Orioles on a Great Season

I hope that all NY Yankee fans will join me in congratulating the Baltimore Orioles on a great season - they gave us everything we could handle in the ALDS.

Oriole fans have a lot to look forward to next season.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Re: Congratulations to the Orioles on a Great Season

They have a .500 season to look forward to when their obscene success rate in 1-run games and extra innings evens out.
    Offseason, time to try optimism again.

Sorry...........

Go to hell Showalter.

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

Buck proved again this year what a great Manager he is. Just like he was when he was here.
    We toast to the old days and DiMaggio too,
    Billy Martin and Mantle, Whitey Ford and to you

Congrats to the O's on a eventful season.

They might just be back in the same position next season, assuming the Sox fade to the basement of the East once again .

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by hellonewman View Post
    They have a .500 season to look forward to when their obscene success rate in 1-run games and extra innings evens out.
    or, their young core players grow into their shoes. Buck's going to have them competing next season...

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hardrain View Post
    Buck proved again this year what a great Manager he is. Just like he was when he was here.
    If history holds, they'll have to get rid of him if they want to go any farther
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

I hope the Orioles, Rays, Blue Jays and Red Sox all finish below .500 next year.
    Pardon, for us.

My big concern is who replaces Showalter-that's the guy who gets teams to the promised land.

Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    My big concern is who replaces Showalter-that's the guy who gets teams to the promised land.
    Bobby Valentine's available.
    Pardon, for us.

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

I'm too elated tonight to argue about it but Buck is one hell of a manager. There is no reason why he shouldn't continue on in Baltimore for years to come -- if he wants to.
    We toast to the old days and DiMaggio too,
    Billy Martin and Mantle, Whitey Ford and to you

I hated every minute of this series but it is great having Baltimore back in the mix. It's like the old days of the AL East in the 70's.

Except Boston sucks, but then again...they sucked then too!

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by hardrain View Post
    I'm too elated tonight to argue about it but Buck is one hell of a manager. There is no reason why he shouldn't continue on in Baltimore for years to come -- if he wants to.
    Agreed. It's surprising he never won a World Series. Ironic that he managed the Yankees until 95', then after he was fired they win the World Series. He manages D-Backs until 2000 and then they win the World Series in 2001 after he is fired again.

NYYF Legend

I am happy to congratulate Baltimore--as long as they lost. I think it's great to have them as rivals: 1) they lose 2) they are the 2nd closest AL city to my home. I love watching the Yanks win in OP@CY.

Better than those obnoxious tools in Boston (talking about the fans) or the team that plays in that toilet in Tampa with the cowbells. And don't get me started on those Canadians.

I don't get the Showalter hate. He did great things with the Yankees and he is just a smart, hardworking and tough manager. He's only 8 or 9 on the whiner list.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post

I am happy to congratulate Baltimore--as long as they lost.
    LOL

Same here, now I'm happy to congratulate Baltimore on a great season, but a few hours ago I wanted some unspeakable tragedy to hit their club-house like an atom bomb.

Nah but all kidding aside, they were a scrappy bunch all year and it took 167 Games to shake them. They have a lot to be proud of. What they lack in talent, they more than made up for in heart and determination.
    "Owning the Yankees is like owning the Mona Lisa." -- George M. Steinbrenner III

Good to the last drop CoyoteYankee's Avatar

Congrats to the O's on a great season!

I hope they suck next year.
    2014 - New Team, New Result

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

NYYF Legend

I agree with everyone else, the Orioles put up a hell of a fight. Damn good team, and Showalter did great managing that club. It'd be great if they became a heated rival again.

As long as they lose to us relentlessly.

Congrats on a outstanding season O's....

Now go get your shine box
    Last edited by DrNick; 10-13-12 at 07:46 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DEADSOX
    We won, stop bitching. Bitches.
    http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...n23/george.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteYankee View Post
    Congrats to the O's on a great season!

I hope they suck next year.
    My favorite thing yesterday after (1) the Yankees winning and (2) watching them celebrate... was watching Buck Showalter quietly leaving the dugout to go back to the locker room.

I'm not looking forward to next season with Michael Kay gushing even more enthusiastically about the greatness of Buck Showalter.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    Sorry...........

Go to hell Showalter.
    I'll never forgive him for the 1995 ALDS.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

A good team that played WAY over their heads, but sustained it all the way to the end when their lack of postseason experience seemed to severely hamper some of their performance. I'm thinking of Jim Johnson, Adam Jones, and Chris Davis in particular.

David Cone said it best (and repeatedly) in the post-game last night. If you're an Orioles fan, now you look to Peter Angelos and you say, it's your move. If ownership steps up, they can build on this foundation and stay very competitive for a while.

But I agree with others who have said this same 25-man roster isn't likely to repeat the statistical anomalies in 2013. Buck did a fantastic job and I'm happy to give him credit for some of their over-performance, but it's almost certainly not sustainable for a second year.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    A good team that played WAY over their heads, but sustained it all the way to the end when their lack of postseason experience seemed to severely hamper some of their performance. I'm thinking of Jim Johnson, Adam Jones, and Chris Davis in particular.

David Cone said it best (and repeatedly) in the post-game last night. If you're an Orioles fan, now you look to Peter Angelos and you say, it's your move. If ownership steps up, they can build on this foundation and stay very competitive for a while.

But I agree with others who have said this same 25-man roster isn't likely to repeat the statistical anomalies in 2013. Buck did a fantastic job and I'm happy to give him credit for some of their over-performance, but it's almost certainly not sustainable for a second year.
    Well Said.

They are a scrappy team, but winning so many 1 run games is indeed an anomaly and something you can't expect to duplicate in 2013. They'll need to upgrade their talent or they probably falls back to third in the division behind the Yankees and Rays.

Also the Bosox freed up a ton of payroll with that big deadline deal and they're gonna be big spenders this off season and mega talent like Josh Hamilton.
    "Owning the Yankees is like owning the Mona Lisa." -- George M. Steinbrenner III

Good to the last drop CoyoteYankee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    My favorite thing yesterday after (1) the Yankees winning and (2) watching them celebrate... was watching Buck Showalter quietly leaving the dugout to go back to the locker room.

I'm not looking forward to next season with Michael Kay gushing even more enthusiastically about the greatness of Buck Showalter.

Not a Buck fan?
    2014 - New Team, New Result

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

Is it me or does Buck sound exactly like Billy Bob Thorton?
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    I'll never forgive him for the 1995 ALDS.
    I didn't have much confidence in John Wetteland that series and am not convinced he would have done any better than Jack McDowell did in Game 5. Before crucifying Showalter for that ALDS, remember how far he and Gene Michael progressed the team from the doldrums of 1990 and 1991.

Thread Information