+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: Our 2012 Postseason MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Flaz View Post
    Well I assume we can't beat Verlander so CC will be pitching in a 0-3 series hole.
    That's your first mistake. No cause to just assume that out of hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Flaz View Post
    I guess you could argue that winning game 4 behind CC could turn the series around, but there are no signs of that happening, IMO. We're gonna have to win 4 out of the remaining 5 games anyway and three (3) of them are on the road.
    Even down 0-3, which would be a huge hole, you'd like your chances with CC in two of the remaining must-win games. Gigantic longshot? Yes, but CC would certainly be ALCS MVP if they pulled it off.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    That's your first mistake. No cause to just assume that out of hand.
    Well you're right. Of course I can't know what's gonna happen, but there is for sure cause to assume it after the lackluster postseason hitting our offense has displayed in these 7 playoff games - against the best pitcher in the world, in his home park. I'm sorry if that doesn't make me optimistic...

Nothing is impossible, but I would say there certainly is some cause to assume that there.

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_1
    Even down 0-3, which would be a huge hole, you'd like your chances with CC in two of the remaining must-win games. Gigantic longshot? Yes, but CC would certainly be ALCS MVP if they pulled it off.
    Sure, but you said it yourself. It would the sort of a longshot that's not really worth discussing about right now.
    [size=1]October 16, 2003: After rallying to come back from a two-run deficit in Game 6, winning 9-6, the Red Sox painted the World Series logo on the field at Fenway Park.[/size]

As they say in poker, scared money is dead money. It can apply to baseball, and I'm sure the team is not going in scared. Emotional perhaps, but fear cannot be a factor. There is no use writing off this game because of Verlander. The Yankees have hit him in the past, and hard. The Yankees have blown up many great pitchers as have any other team. Verlander's record is not perfect. No one's is. He's beatable and the Yankees have the offensive potential to do it. I'm not writing this one off.
    You're a stranger til she whispers you can stay.
    You're a stranger til she whispers that your journey's over.

NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    As they say in poker, scared money is dead money. It can apply to baseball, and I'm sure the team is not going in scared. Emotional perhaps, but fear cannot be a factor. There is no use writing off this game because of Verlander. The Yankees have hit him in the past, and hard. The Yankees have blown up many great pitchers as have any other team. Verlander's record is not perfect. No one's is. He's beatable and the Yankees have the offensive potential to do it. I'm not writing this one off.
    I too dislike when fans think that just because Verlander is pitching, the team ought to forfeit the game.
    Bulldinky.
    Let's try to remember 1999 and 2000 Pedro who happened to be about 3 billion times better than Verlander. The Yankees used to beat him. Or at least win the games which Pedro pitched.
    They have a chance. The Detroit defense is not great. Get balls into play. Make things happen by putting pressure on this defense.
    I like the Yankees' chances tonight.
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by effdamets View Post
    I too dislike when fans think that just because Verlander is pitching, the team ought to forfeit the game.
    Bulldinky.
    Let's try to remember 1999 and 2000 Pedro who happened to be about 3 billion times better than Verlander. The Yankees used to beat him. Or at least win the games which Pedro pitched.
    They have a chance. The Detroit defense is not great. Get balls into play. Make things happen by putting pressure on this defense.
    I like the Yankees' chances tonight.
    The 1996 Yankees went down 0-2 at home and then took to the road to face Tom Glavine, Denny Neagle, and John Smoltz before coming home to face Greg Maddux.

We're all well aware of how good Verlander is, but the Braves' Top 3 were ridiculous and the Yankees beat them all.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

I may be pointing out the obvious, but we only lost to Verlander by 1 run.

That and during regular season, we slapped him around to the tune of .859OPS.

We also won 2 out of the 3 games he started against us.

NYYF Triple Crown

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

I guess there's nothing more to be said here. Can anyone even say they had a good postseason?
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

Quote Originally Posted by apalradio View Post
    I guess there's nothing more to be said here. Can anyone even say they had a good postseason?
    Hiroki Kuroda
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

Kuroda, Ibanez, Ichiro?

Jeter was doing great until he got hurt.

Thread Information