+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Re: NLDS: Washington Nationals vs. St. Louis Cardinals

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    If the Yankees can take care of business in the ALCS, we're guaranteed for a truly classic matchup. Yankees-Giants and Yankees-Cardinals would both be amazing.
    I hope its the Giants. I don't see that happening, I think the Cards are going to blow them out in five games, but I hope the Giants can get hot and pull off the upset. Much easier matchup in the WS in my view.
    "Owning the Yankees is like owning the Mona Lisa." -- George M. Steinbrenner III

Addicted Member

Ironic that the two teams that won the World Series the last two years are now facing each other in the NLCS.

/not mine
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Addicted Member

lmao!!! I did have the one nice thought about the Cardinals and that was it's nice they have been able to do this without Pujols.
    "Being the captain of the team, he always is there for us, and I appreciate that. He's my friend, my teammate and I love him." ~ Mariano Rivera about Derek Jeter.

Quote Originally Posted by Jax Teller View Post
    Good thing they saved Strasburg for next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 and counting View Post
    Go Cardinals. FINISH them.

I've said it time and time again, the Nats will regret shutting down Strasburg. This is the proof of that.
    Two awful posts.

First of all, Strasburg didn't have a "young guy" innings limit. It was an injury innings limit. It would've been irresponsible to go against what doctors said.

Secondly, Strasburg wasn't their best pitcher this year so he would've only started 1 game in the ALDS. Guess who's start he would've taken…Ross Detwiler. Guess who's start the Nationals won…Ross Detwiler.

Strasburg's missed start didn't make a difference. Thinking otherwise shows a lack of critical thinking.

R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar
    Formerly Brooklyn & Joisey; now just right behind you ... BOO!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Battingly View Post
    Every time you take Mariano for granted, these closers remind you why he's a first ballot HOFer.

Whether its Soren or Nathan or Jim Johnson and the list is endless, eventually they all remind you why Mariano's post season exploits, while not flawless, is light years ahead of anyone else who has ever done that job.

And believe me, thats another reason why Girardi let CC finish that game tonight, because he knows there's only one Mr. Automatic.
    I fully agree with your point. However (while not detracting from your fine post), the Nats didn't need Mariano. What they needed was a manager with half a brain.

You are up by 2 runs in the top of the 9th. Bases loaded 2 outs, after all those walks.

If that doesn't SCREAM that you need to get someone else in there, I don't know what does. All you need is someone with a reasonable ERA who's pitched in that series who can get one single out. You can even give up an RBI walk, get the next out, and you're on your way to the NLCS.

Not only did the manager allow the closer to remain after having given up a 2-run hit to TIE the game, he then allowed the manager to repeat this and LOSE the game.

When the freight train comes bearing down, it's nice to know that some people will just sit there on the tracks and smile, never once pausing to consider getting the heck off the tracks.
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

Quote Originally Posted by 26 and counting View Post
    He'll help them reach .500.
    Another bad post.

Why do you think they'll be a .500 team? Because they haven't been good in the past?

A rational person looks at their team and says they have 3 legit aces, Detwiler, who had a pretty good year, and a young offense that is improving. Harper could make a big jump next year.

The Nats will be a force for years to come just because of that pitching.

R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar
    Formerly Brooklyn & Joisey; now just right behind you ... BOO!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey View Post
    lmao!!! I did have the one nice thought about the Cardinals and that was it's nice they have been able to do this without Pujols.
    Pujols jumped ship, and now he's playing golf. I guess that's what happens when you take the money and lose your competitive spirit (re his choice of teams). He was already with a top playoff caliber team.
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Carsten Charles View Post
    Two awful posts.

First of all, Strasburg didn't have a "young guy" innings limit. It was an injury innings limit. It would've been irresponsible to go against what doctors said.

Secondly, Strasburg wasn't their best pitcher this year so he would've only started 1 game in the ALDS. Guess who's start he would've taken…Ross Detwiler. Guess who's start the Nationals won…Ross Detwiler.

Strasburg's missed start didn't make a difference. Thinking otherwise shows a lack of critical thinking.
    This.

It won't stop people and the media from bringing it up.

I am a disappointed half a Nats fan tonight.
    "Long Island is New Jersey with a GED." - Triumph the Insult Comic Dog.

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    If the Yankees can take care of business in the ALCS, we're guaranteed for a truly classic matchup. Yankees-Giants and Yankees-Cardinals would both be amazing.
    All the teams in the final 4 are old school. Well if you count sf giants as ny giants

Bad day for Maryland.
    NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

Quote Originally Posted by 1936-1939JoeNLou View Post
    All the teams in the final 4 are old school. Well if you count sf giants as ny giants
    My dad was a lifelong Cardinals fan and I would love too see a Cardinals/Yankees world series. (especially now that Tony LaRussa is gone)
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by NY Dude View Post
    Ironic that the two teams that won the World Series the last two years are now facing each other in the NLCS.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

NYYF Legend

Two awful posts.

They're not awful posts. If Strasburg was available he would have pitched two games this series. The Nats might have won the first 2 games instead of splitting them (with Strasburg subsequently available for game 5 if necessary) and they would have had Detwiler in the pen to back up Jackson and Zimmerman (who both pitched poorly). If you don't think Strasburg would have made a difference in this series you are kidding yourself.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Yankee View Post
    Pujols jumped ship, and now he's playing golf. I guess that's what happens when you take the money and lose your competitive spirit (re his choice of teams). He was already with a top playoff caliber team.
    Please. It is not like he signed with a team that was not competitive. There is absolutely no basis for your assertion about his competitive spirit, none.

And why exactly are you making judgments about ballplayers choosing their employers based on millions of dollars of differentials in salaries? Have you ever left millions of dollars on the table?

It is a business for the players as it is for the owners. Fans who think otherwise need to wake up and get off their self-righteous horses.

So why not skip a couple starts in June or July?
    Don't tease me, you know what I do for a living.

They're winning it.
    [QUOTE=TheKillerB's]Bichette is going to be big, quote me on it.[/QUOTE]

NYYF Cy Young

I fell asleep during the game and literally woke up right when they tied it up. I couldn't believe it, I thought for sure they had that game in the bag when they were up 6-0. They should've gotten to that ball imo, but either way Storen totally blew it. My wife is a Nats fan and she was devastated. I'll look forward to another exciting year from them next year.

Also, losing this series had nothing to do with Strasburg being out.

Quote Originally Posted by rajah View Post
    Fans who think otherwise need to wake up and get off their self-righteous horses.
    I despise self-righteous horses.
    I can't complain but sometimes I still do. - Joe Walsh

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Man View Post
    I despise self-righteous horses.

Didn't John Wayne say that?

Still, when someone leaves a winning team and loyal fan base to take the money, there is a certain pleasure derived from knowing they are sitting on the sidelines.
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    They're not awful posts. If Strasburg was available he would have pitched two games this series. The Nats might have won the first 2 games instead of splitting them (with Strasburg subsequently available for game 5 if necessary) and they would have had Detwiler in the pen to back up Jackson and Zimmerman (who both pitched poorly). If you don't think Strasburg would have made a difference in this series you are kidding yourself.
    Strasburg was not their best pitcher this year. He wasn't going to get 2 starts. Also, no way would they have used Detwiler ahead of Jackson out of the pen.

Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    So why not skip a couple starts in June or July?
    Agreed. They handled the whole thing very poorly from the beginning.

NYYF Legend

Strasburg was not their best pitcher this year. He wasn't going to get 2 starts. Also, no way would they have used Detwiler ahead of Jackson out of the pen.
    Wait, are you seriously suggesting that Strasburg would not have been their game 1 starter?

Edit: And how are you concluding that Strasburg was not their best pitcher anyway? Gio had a slightly better ERA but Strasburg had a better WHIP, K/BB, and xFIP. There is absolutely no way I can be convinced that he would not have been the game 1 and 5 starter had he been available.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Wait, are you seriously suggesting that Strasburg would not have been their game 1 starter?
    I'm trying to figure out as well. Had Strasburg pitched the series may have gone differently. It's moot now but I've been saying this since the shut down happened, if I were a Nats fan I'd be furious. Stupid, stupid move. They may not be a great team next year or the year after. And they squandered their shot. Of course they could be contending again which would be lucky but you never know what the future brings no matter how much you think you do.
    NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Pasco08 View Post
    This series would of been over had the Nats not shut down straz IMHO.
    How do you figure that? The guy who would have been bumped was Detwiler and he pitched the best game of the series for the Nats.
    They lost because their closer imploded walking the tying and go ahead runs. Then pitched to the #8 batter in a tie game with the Cardinal closer on deck and 1st base open.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Edit: And how are you concluding that Strasburg was not their best pitcher anyway? Gio had a slightly better ERA but Strasburg had a better WHIP, K/BB, and xFIP. There is absolutely no way I can be convinced that he would not have been the game 1 and 5 starter had he been available.
    Even if Strasburg pitched in the playoffs, he would still be watched very carefully. They absolutely wouldn't have gone with him for 1 and 5 when they had Gio. Gio was their ace when Strasburg was pitching and he continued to pitch like an ace after Strasburg got shut down. He was their ace.

Thread Information