+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: If we tie with Baltimore?

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    wc is Fri if yanks lose on division so CC on 3 days rest in the WC game if it comes to that.
    Right but the Tie-breaker game is Thursday. If Necessary.

I honestly can only see the Rays winning 1 game out of 3. We have to sweep Boston. Anyone going to these games better be loud. We can't afford to fall behind for even an inning.

Joe better not try resting anyone. All hands on deck. They can rest while the O's play the A's...
    Mariano Rivera was so great he was able to close a Denny's.

Quote Originally Posted by TheInfallibleOne View Post

We have to sweep Boston.
    Lester Vs Nova

Nova better be on a short leash in that one.

I would have Phelps soft tossing in the first inning, just in case.
    "Owning the Yankees is like owning the Mona Lisa." -- George M. Steinbrenner III

37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    Yep. I fully expect the Red Sox to treat this series as their playoffs.
    and Bobby V, his last three games as a MLB manager.

Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

I honestly can only see the Rays winning 1 game out of 3. We have to sweep Boston. Anyone going to these games better be loud. We can't afford to fall behind for even an inning.

Joe better not try resting anyone. All hands on deck. They can rest while the O's play the A's...
    Jeez, calm down.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Big_E View Post
    and Bobby V, his last three games as a MLB manager.
    Yep. I'm sure he's looking at this series as a way to get the last laugh on Yankee fans. Although it would be funny if the Sox players turned the table on him and tanked the series just to ensure that he won't be brought back.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Yankees cannot rely on anyone but themselves. If they play these next three games like a Game 7 of the World Series we shouldn't have any problems. While it would be nice for Tampa to take 2 out of 3, we cannot assume they will. If we continue to win we'll be fine.

Tonight is the big night because Tampa still has an outside shot at the 2nd wild card.

As soon as Oakland wins or TB loses that goes away and Tampa won't have anything to play for.

Since the Rays game will be played before the Oakland game they will go into it with a shot.

I really don't expect the Yankees to sweep this series. As others have said, this is the Red Sox world series and they're also fighting to finish out of last place.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by scine20 View Post
    Tonight is the big night because Tampa still has an outside shot at the 2nd wild card.

As soon as Oakland wins or TB loses that goes away and Tampa won't have anything to play for.
    Strongly disagree. Maddon's teams always have something to play for. In your scenario the motivation would be to deny or derail the Yankees. There is no love lost between the Rays and the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by LongtimeNYYFan View Post
    Strongly disagree. Maddon's teams always have something to play for. In your scenario the motivation would be to deny or derail the Yankees. There is no love lost between the Rays and the Yankees.
    Are you saying they'll be motivated to lose?

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mxylsplk View Post
    Are you saying they'll be motivated to lose?
    No; I'm saying even if the Rays are eliminated via an Oakland win, they will still play hard to hurt the Yankees chances. They aren't going to roll over.

NYYF Triple Crown

Hope it doesnt' come down to this

Not sure I follow.

The Yankees playing hard would only help the Yankees chances.

If the Rays really want the Yankees to finish 2nd they can not try.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    Right but the Tie-breaker game is Thursday. If Necessary.
    yes. pettitte would pitch that tie-breaker game to determine Div/WC.

but if the yanks lose the that game or they lose the division out right earlier the WC game is fri so if the Yanks don't win the division you have CC in a winner take all 1 game with CC on 3 days rest was my point.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

No; I'm saying even if the Rays are eliminated via an Oakland win, they will still play hard to hurt the Yankees chances. They aren't going to roll over.

The Rays are playing the Orioles... If they play hard, they are HELPING the Yankees.

And as scine and Rookie said, that doesn't make sense. The Rays playing hard (or at least playing well) wouldn't hurt our chances at all.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by scine20 View Post
    Not sure I follow.

The Yankees playing hard would only help the Yankees chances.

If the Rays really want the Yankees to finish 2nd they can not try.
    My apologies to you and rookie and the others in this thread. I had a brain fart of epic, no make that mammoth, proportions and momentarily lost track of which team the Rays were playing. Mea culpa!

My apologies to you and rookie and the others in this thread. I had a brain fart of epic, no make that mammoth, proportions and momentarily lost track of which team the Rays were playing. Mea culpa!
    Well hopefully you have the right idea, and they'll be motivated to play hard and hurt Baltimore.

They have Shields and Hellickson going the final two games and Chen vs Cobb is a pretty even matchup tonight. I'm not counting on Tampa winning that series, but they definitely could.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mxylsplk View Post
    Well hopefully you have the right idea, and they'll be motivated to play hard and hurt Baltimore.
    Absotively! Positutely!

I meant to say the Rays playing hard, not the Yankees.

Maddon's relationship with the Yankees notwithstanding, there's absolutely no way they tank games with playoff implications.

NYYF Cy Young

There's something that could add another wrench into all of this. Wednesday's forecast includes rain, currently for earlier in the day but that could change. What happens if Wed's game gets rained out?

Quote Originally Posted by yankeesrule View Post
    There's something that could add another wrench into all of this. Wednesday's forecast includes rain, currently for earlier in the day but that could change. What happens if Wed's game gets rained out?
    Bad things.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by yankeesrule View Post
    They will get that game in if they have to play until the sun comes up. The forecast isn't THAT bad.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Thread Information