+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

2012 Post-season roster speculation

I think this has been touched on in various threads but with a magic number of 5 with 9 games left to clinch a playoff spot figured I'd put it here.

There are some injury question marks that could change thing, Tiexiera may be back v Toronto and Garnder once thought lost for sure may be reactivated. Aardsma who is not likely a playoff spot candidate will bump someone from the 40 man when he's activated today.

The locks for the post season roster in my opinion (11 position players + 4 SP + 4 RP = 19 locks)
    C - Martin
    1B - Tiexiera (assuming calf checks out an no setback)
    2B - Cano
    SS - Jeter
    3B - A-rod
    OF - Suzuki
    OF - Granderson
    OF - Swisher
    DH - Ibanez (could be bench but he's a lock)
    BN - Chaves
    BN - Stewart

SP - CC / Kuroda / Pettitte / Hughes
    RP - Joba / Logan / Robertson / Soriano

2 more spots will come from

UTL - one of Nix / Nunez
    OF - one of Jones / Dickerson / Gardner

That leaves 4 RP spots which in my opinion will be
    Epply, Phelps, Nova, Rapada

I'd prefer Nunez & Gardner but I think the Yanks will take Nix & Gardner (if healthy) Jones if not. I can totally see Nix over Nunez, especially if Gardner is healthy. Very big if on Gardner.

I think Freddy, Lowe and all others in the pen are on the outside looking in for the playoff roster.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Re: 2012 Post-season roster speculation

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    I think this has been touched on in various threads but with a magic number of 5 with 9 games left to clinch a playoff spot figured I'd put it here.

There are some injury question marks that could change thing, Tiexiera may be back v Toronto and Garnder once thought lost for sure may be reactivated. Aardsma who is not likely a playoff spot candidate will bump someone from the 40 man when he's activated today.

The locks for the post season roster in my opinion (11 position players + 4 SP + 4 RP = 19 locks)
    C - Martin
    1B - Tiexiera (assuming calf checks out an no setback)
    2B - Cano
    SS - Jeter
    3B - A-rod
    OF - Suzuki
    OF - Granderson
    OF - Swisher
    DH - Ibanez (could be bench but he's a lock)
    BN - Chavez
    BN - Stewart

RP - Joba / Logan / Robertson / Soriano

2 more spots will come from

UTL - one of Nix / Nunez
    OF - one of Jones / Dickerson / Gardner

That leaves 4 RP spots which in my opinion will be
    Epply, Phelps, Nova, Rapada

I'd prefer Nunez & Gardner but I think the Yanks will take Nix & Gardner (if healthy) Jones if not. I can totally see Nix over Nunez, especially if Gardner is healthy. Very big if on Gardner.

I think Freddy, Lowe and all others in the pen are on the outside looking in for the playoff roster.
    C - Martin
    1B - Tiexiera
    2B - Cano
    SS - Jeter
    3B - A-rod
    OF - Suzuki
    OF - Granderson
    OF - Swisher
    DH - Ibanez
    BN - Chavez
    BN - Stewart
    BN - Nix
    BN - Gardner (or Dickerson if Brett can't go)

RP - Joba / Logan / Robertson / Soriano / Epply / Phelps / Nova / Rapada
    Pardon, for us.

Starting lineup:
    SS Jeter
    LF Ichiro?!
    DH Rodriguez
    2B Cano
    1B Teixeira
    CF Granderson
    RF Swisher
    3B Chavez
    C Martin

Bench:
    OF Gardner
    IF Nix
    PH Jones
    PH Ibanez
    C Stewart

Rotation:
    SP Sabathia
    SP Pettitte
    SP Kuroda
    SP Hughes

Bullpen:
    RP Soriano
    RP Robertson
    RP Logan
    RP Rapada
    RP Nova
    RP Phelps
    RP Chamberlain*

If Joba continues to pitch well down the stretch, he's in. If he sucks, I'd take Eppley.

Yanks will not "waste" a roster spot on someone who cannot come up to the plate to hit. Forget about Gardner - not happening. Nunez might be kept as a pinch-runner but then you waste another player having to go into the field to take the place of the player being run for. Nunez will not see an inning in the playoffs in the field.

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    C - Martin
    1B - Tiexiera
    2B - Cano
    SS - Jeter
    3B - A-rod
    OF - Suzuki
    OF - Granderson
    OF - Swisher
    DH - Ibanez
    BN - Chavez
    BN - Stewart
    BN - Nix
    BN - Gardner (or Dickerson if Brett can't go)

RP - Joba / Logan / Robertson / Soriano / Epply / Phelps / Nova / Rapada
    I like this roster and I think it's the "baseline" roster for anyone who's had enough of Andruw Jones and wants to carry 12 pitchers. However its one weakness is the lack of a right-handed power bat on the bench. Jones would appear to be the only person who can play such a role. I'm not sure I believe in Steve Pearce or Casey McGeheehee -- though let's be clear, I'd take either one over Jones.

I think most of us would say OK, then leave him off and live with that weakness because the organization doesn't have a good answer. But I worry that Girardi will be stubborn and shoehorn Jones in. This would probably mean losing either your Gardner / Dickerson slot, or your Eppley slot.

EDIT: Thinking about this more, I forgot about Nunez. With Nunez, McGehee, and Pearce all competing for a spot with Jones, I'll be upset if Jones is on the roster at all.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    I like this roster and I think it's the "baseline" roster for anyone who's had enough of Andruw Jones and wants to carry 12 pitchers. However its one weakness is the lack of a right-handed power bat on the bench. Jones would appear to be the only person who can play such a role. I'm not sure I believe in Steve Pearce or Casey McGeheehee -- though let's be clear, I'd take either one over Jones.

I think most of us would say OK, then leave him off and live with that weakness because the organization doesn't have a good answer. But I worry that Girardi will be stubborn and shoehorn Jones in. This would probably mean losing either your Gardner / Dickerson slot, or your Eppley slot.

EDIT: Thinking about this more, I forgot about Nunez. With Nunez, McGehee, and Pearce all competing for a spot with Jones, I'll be upset if Jones is on the roster at all.
    Joe is going to always want the extra pitcher. You might get him to go with 11 pitchers in Round 1, but I doubt he will.

Between Nunez, McGeehee Pearce and Jones - if one of them is added at the expense of a pitcher, he should take Nunez (who has speed and can, in an emergency, play anywhere).
    Pardon, for us.

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    Joe is going to always want the extra pitcher. You might get him to go with 11 pitchers in Round 1, but I doubt he will.

Between Nunez, McGeehee Pearce and Jones - if one of them is added at the expense of a pitcher, he should take Nunez (who has speed and can, in an emergency, play anywhere).
    Nunez can "play anywhere" in roughly the same sense that I can.

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    He has a better bat than the the other players listed by Senor JDPNYY
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Not that I want to see it, but if the Yankees end up a wild card, do they make a 25 man roster for that specific game? If so, I'd think that roster would be constructed a bit differently, with fewer pitchers and a guy like Gardener on it even if all he can do is run.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    Not that I want to see it, but if the Yankees end up a wild card, do they make a 25 man roster for that specific game? If so, I'd think that roster would be constructed a bit differently, with fewer pitchers and a guy like Gardener on it even if all he can do is run.
    I haven't seen anything but I'm pretty sure the WC "game" is considered a "playoff round" so you can have a different 25 man roster for the WC game then for the ALDS.
    Baseball is life;

I haven't seen anything but I'm pretty sure the WC "game" is considered a "playoff round" so you can have a different 25 man roster for the WC game then for the ALDS.
    This is actually a very interesting question. I imagine at least one of the four wild card teams will get creative if the rules allow it.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    In an emergency. Like this:

Nunez can play SS and might make an error. Andruw Jones can play SS and will make an error.
    Pardon, for us.

Oops! I pooped on your things! __starr69's Avatar

Here's a CBS article from last week on Wild Card Game rules. It links to an ESPN Insider article which might go more in-depth, but I don't have access.

Apparently, yeah, WC teams will be able to have different rosters than for the LDS games.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/ey...ules-are--wild

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    This is actually a very interesting question. I imagine at least one of the four wild card teams will get creative if the rules allow it.
    Not sure how creative but if this is the case I could see teams carrying an extra position player or extra LOOGY over say their 4th starter or starter who pitched the last game of the year and wouldn't be availabe for that one game anyway and then adding that player for the DS if they win.
    Baseball is life;

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by __starr69 View Post
    Here's a CBS article from last week on Wild Card Game rules. It links to an ESPN Insider article which might go more in-depth, but I don't have access.

Apparently, yeah, WC teams will be able to have different rosters than for the LDS games.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/ey...ules-are--wild
    What is going to be really funny is if the WSox & Tigers tie for the central with a worse record than both WC teams. They will play game 163 for the division with up to 40 man rosters while the WC team are playing a 1 game "playoff game" with 25 man rosters, probably on the same day.
    Baseball is life;

What is going to be really funny is if the WSox & Tigers tie for the central with a worse record than both WC teams. They will play game 163 for the division with up to 40 man rosters while the WC team are playing a 1 game "playoff game" with 25 man rosters, probably on the same day.
    Is that true? You can play a "game 163" play-off game with the expanded rosters?
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    Is that true? You can play a "game 163" play-off game with the expanded rosters?
    Game 163 to break a tie for the division is a regular season game played with regular season rules, including expanded September rosters. All the stats count toward regular season total too so Miggy could in theory win the triple crown in the tie breaker game or lose it is say Dunn were to pass him in HRs that day.Though I think MLB sends a 6 man umpiring crew just like it is a playoff game.
    Baseball is life;

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Game 163 to break a tie for the division is a regular season game played with regular season rules, including expanded September rosters. All the stats count toward regular season total too so Miggy could in theory win the triple crown in the tie breaker game or lose it is say Dunn were to pass him in HRs that day.Though I think MLB sends a 6 man umpiring crew just like it is a playoff game.
    Ron Guidry's 25th win in 1978 was in the playoff game against Boston
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

NYYF MVP

So against LHP, I wouldn't mind a postseason lineup of:

SS - Jeter
    RF - Swisher
    DH - Rodriguez
    2B - Cano
    1B - Teixeira
    CF - Granderson
    C - Martin
    LF - Ichiro
    3B - Nix

Nix is a decent hitter against LHP and plays a very good 3B. A-Rod's never had bad splits as a DH, and he's been markedly better this year when DHing. It keeps Nunez out of the field (if Gardner can play the outfield I'd be in favor of keeping Nunez off the roster entirely). And against a RH reliever, you can easily bring in Chavez.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

If it comes down to Gardner vs Nunez, I take Nunez for several reasons.

1. He provides a RH bat off the bench.
    2. He provides speed as a PR.
    3. He can actually swing a bat.
    4. He can play the field, albeit not that respectfully.

In other words, the flexibility provided by Nunez far outweighs the other aspects that Gardner might provide.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    If it comes down to Gardner vs Nunez, I take Nunez for several reasons.

1. He provides a RH bat off the bench.
    2. He provides speed as a PR.
    3. He can actually swing a bat.
    4. He can play the field, albeit not that respectfully.

In other words, the flexibility provided by Nunez far outweighs the other aspects that Gardner might provide.
    1. He's been good v LHP but the sample size is tiny. In his career he's .286/.321/.423 (also small sample less than 200 PAs) while Gradner is .256/.362/.335 better OBP but worse SLG, about a wash.
    2. Gardner (83.0%) has a both more SB and a better SB% than Nunez (82.6%) but close enough that I'll call it even.
    3. We don't know about Gardner yet but 20 or so PAs over the last 9 games should be an indication if he can swing or not.
    4. Nunez can play several positions, all poorly; Gardner can play 2 positions excellently. In fact if you believe defensive metrics he was among the best defensive outfielders in all of baseball in 2010 & 2011.

Gardner may not be able to produce anything, but until he gets in a game I think it is premature to write him off already.
    Baseball is life;

Nova really shouldn't make the roster if Girardi only carries 11 pitchers. If he carries 12, I still wouldn't count him as a lock depending on how Aardsma pitches.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

1. He's been good v LHP but the sample size is tiny. In his career he's .286/.321/.423 (also small sample less than 200 PAs) while Gradner is .256/.362/.335 better OBP but worse SLG, about a wash.
    2. Gardner (83.0%) has a both more SB and a better SB% than Nunez (82.6%) but close enough that I'll call it even.
    3. We don't know about Gardner yet but 20 or so PAs over the last 9 games should be an indication if he can swing or not.
    4. Nunez can play several positions, all poorly; Gardner can play 2 positions excellently. In fact if you believe defensive metrics he was among the best defensive outfielders in all of baseball in 2010 & 2011.

Gardner may not be able to produce anything, but until he gets in a game I think it is premature to write him off already.
    Gardner was activated with the sole intent of using him as a PR and a potential defensive replacement. There is no intention in getting him a single AB between now and the end of the season - he has yet to even soft swing the bat.

Simply stated, Nunez provides more value than Gardner at this point in time on a 25-man roster.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

NYYF Legend

We have eight more games to evaluate the roster. Let's wait till we see what the rest of the season brings. I'd love to have Gardener on the Roster if he can play

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

Quote Originally Posted by Nome View Post
    We have eight more games to evaluate the roster. Let's wait till we see what the rest of the season brings. I'd love to have Gardener on the Roster if he can play

Andy
    So you're requesting that the speculation should end now?
    Pardon, for us.

Thread Information