+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Daily News: Jeter says he could see himself in another uniform

He is a all-time Yankee great! With that said, could you imagine him in a Red sox uni ?

NYYF Legend

To clarify my earlier post, Jeter wants nothing more than to retire as a Yankee. But as he said, baseball is a business and if Jeter truly feels that he has a good year or two left in the tank and if the Yankees don't want him on the roster (remember the semi negotiations with Torre the last winter of his Yankee contract?) he would give strong consideration to playing elsewhere.

I feel certain that Jeter won't be unreasonable in his contract monetary request, but that the Yankees might be unreasonable in their offer in an effort to dump him or get him to retire.

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

NYYF Triple Crown

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

All speculation aside, I regard Jeter's reply as a fairly generic statement. First of all, the question is not even currently in play. However, if he's ever on the open market again, it would hurt his negotiating position both with the Yankees and with any other team if he were to take the position that he could not see himself in another uniform.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

NYYF Legend

I guess this is early negotiating for his extension
    The real reason why the Yankees keep winning is cause the other team can't stop staring at the damn pinstripes

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by BronxYanks45 View Post
    I guess this is early negotiating for his extension
    I don't think so. I doubt if Jeter is even thinking an extension at this point. His current contract runs through next season. At that point I think he'll be looking for a two year contract with one year extensions thereafter.
    After next season I think he'll accept any offer as long as it is "reasonable"

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

Addicted Member

I'll cry if Jeter ever plays for another team

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    Anybody who wonders why Jeter is so bland in interviews, take note. Even when he tries to keep it simple (but factual), idiots will overreact.

He'll be a Yankee forever.
    Exactly - he has a reputation for not really saying anything important/controversial in an interview, so when he gives an honest answer to Reilly's question, look what happens.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

NYYF Cy Young

This:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nome View Post
    To clarify my earlier post, Jeter wants nothing more than to retire as a Yankee. But as he said, baseball is a business and if Jeter truly feels that he has a good year or two left in the tank and if the Yankees don't want him on the roster (remember the semi negotiations with Torre the last winter of his Yankee contract?) he would give strong consideration to playing elsewhere.

I feel certain that Jeter won't be unreasonable in his contract monetary request, but that the Yankees might be unreasonable in their offer in an effort to dump him or get him to retire.

Andy
    Not this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Battingly View Post
    Much ado about nothing.

Jeter will retire a Yankee because the thought of playing elsewhere is something neither the player or the club will even entertain.
    They Yankees will certainly entertain the thought of Jeter playing elsewhere if he still wants to play and demands more than they are willing to pay.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    This:

Not this:

They Yankees will certainly entertain the thought of Jeter playing elsewhere if he still wants to play and demands more than they are willing to pay.
    .....which is exactly what Jeter meant when he said baseball is a business. He didn't say he'd like to see himself in another uni or he expects to see himself in another uni - only that the possibility does exisit.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

If Jeter is going to have this type of attitude, why not try to trade him this winter while he still has some value?
    Pardon, for us.

Addicted Member

He has a gigantic palace in Tampa, doesn't he? And we know he doesn't like paying NY taxes. I could easily see him going to play for the Rays for the last few years of his career.

Quote Originally Posted by madjack View Post
    He has a gigantic palace in Tampa, doesn't he? And we know he doesn't like paying NY taxes. I could easily see him going to play for the Rays for the last few years of his career.
    That is a problem for me. Most of my family live near where the Rays play their ST games and have since the Rays inception. Every year I go down there and see the Rays play, for really cheap. When they were a crap team I rooted for them knowing they were not going to be an issue for the Yanks, although they did actually give the Yankees problems when they were a bad team. Through the years I have tried to scale back from rooting for them because of obvious reasons. If they move on passed the Yankees in the post season I will root for them to win, but obviously the Yanks cannot factor in.

If Jeter plays for the Rays I will become a full fledged Rays fan along side being a Yankee fan. And this is a problem. I very big problem.
    Please sign David Robertson and Chase Headley.

Hunka Hunka Hot Monkey Love! mitchrock's Avatar

Jeter's knees would look sexy in a Brooklyn Nets uniform.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by madjack View Post
    I think that's a highly unlikely scenario on both sides
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Nome View Post

Andy
    I agree with your first paragraph completely.

As for the second, Jeter wasn't reasonable in the last go round with the Yankees, so why not this next time?
    Team Northern Lights

Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    As for the second, Jeter wasn't reasonable in the last go round with the Yankees, so why not this next time?
    What does this even mean? Jeter conducted himself much better than the Yankees did ... Cashman embarrassed himself. And as it turns out, Jeter was right to be a little ticked off that people were questioning his ability to earn the contract he got. He's more than lived up to it.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

It all depends on what happens in the next two seasons. If he puts up another couple of 200 hit seasons, then Cashman will have little choice than to overpay for a 40+ year old SS. If Jeter has three or four stints on the DL and hits .245 the next two years, then he might find himself getting measured for a uniform that doesn't have on it.
    I can't complain but sometimes I still do. - Joe Walsh

What does this even mean? Jeter conducted himself much better than the Yankees did ... Cashman embarrassed himself. And as it turns out, Jeter was right to be a little ticked off that people were questioning his ability to earn the contract he got. He's more than lived up to it.
    It means Jeter was looking for a ridiculous amount of money in relation to his production. You think he was a 15M dollar player in 2011? Is he a 16M dollar player this year? Were his initial expectations in this range in terms of years and AAV?
    Team Northern Lights

Is he a 16M dollar player this year?
    He's worth $15.8 this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Benefactor View Post
    He's worth $15.8 this year.
    So..no.

But the point stands, he settled for that contract but wanted/expected much more.

Off topic, but I've never been particularly interested in fangraphs' attempts to assign dollar values for wins.
    Team Northern Lights

So..no.

But the point stands, he settled for that contract but wanted/expected much more.

Off topic, but I've never been particularly interested in fangraphs' attempts to assign dollar values for wins.
    He didn't settle, he negotiated. The Yankees started low, he went high. Then they found something they both could live with. I see nothing wrong with him doing that. Or even the Yankees doing what they did.

the yankees standing offer was pretty fair. jeter's 7 year demand was not even ridiculous, it was delusional.
    always reasonable

He is free to start wherever he chooses, however delusional it may seem. It worked, he got a good deal. I really don't see the harm in it. Faulting him for trying to make the most money possible is just silly.

My understanding is that Steinbrenner had been trying to trade Pettitte since as far back as 1999. Then in the 2003 offseason, as the story goes, he was focusing all of his attention on personally negotiating with Gary Sheffield and ignoring Pettitte's requests to discuss what the Yankees were willing to do to keep him in New York. Eventually Pettitte gave up on getting an offer from the Yankees and signed with Houston.

I'm no insider and cannot vouch for the truth of the story. But that was the story.
    Yeah, my recollection is that the Yanks had the exclusive two week window to negotiate after the WS and the Pettitte camp did not get as much as a phone call from the Yankees org. I remember reading a quote to the effect of "They didn't act like they wanted me to stay."

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    He is free to start wherever he chooses, however delusional it may seem. It worked, he got a good deal. I really don't see the harm in it. Faulting him for trying to make the most money possible is just silly.
    I will never understand why people fault players for negotiating.

What I fault Cashman for is his embarrassing attempt to tar Jeter in the public press. All part of a very odd period where he just couldn't stop putting his foot in his mouth with all sorts of stupid public comments on all sorts of things. And believe me, I'm no Cashman hater. I was just very disappointed for a while in the a-hole public persona he was sporting. Now that he's been quiet for the past several months, maybe he's outgrown that little phase.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Thread Information