+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Planning a Trip to Yankee Stadium Advice

Alright I am planning on going next Wednesday and had a few questions.

1) I posted a ticket thread here, in case anybody has any to sell.

2) Transportation.
    -Which is best going solo from Bridgeport in terms of price and time?
    -Take a metro north NYY train or drive?
    -My pause with the train is, I went to MSG this season, had to wait an hour after the game for a ride, and so it took what would have been 65 minutes by car over 2 getting back.

A. If driving, how expensive are lots? Can you get a 5-10 buck space?
    B. I can leave anytime from 2:30/3 on if that helps.

3) Carry-In.
    -I take it I can carry in food such as:
    -Homemade sandwich/McD's or Subway sandwich
    -Unopened chips/snacks
    -Unopened water or lemonade

I just have to bring it in a plastic shopping bag?

A. Smuggle.
    -I usually like to have 1-2 nips at a game instead of beer. I have at Camden yards smuggled in nips in my cargo shorts back/lower pocket. Can I smuggle this in at Yankee Stadium? Do they check and where is the best spot to hide?

4) Inside concessions.
    -Last time I had boar's head there, good, but small, expensive.
    -I don't feel like spending 25 bucks for a sandwich and snack.
    -I also cannot eat fried food or redmeat. Just Chicken/fish.

-What concessions could you recommend and for a dinner/snack/fruit how much are we talking?

5) What to do pre-game
    -Last time I saw monument park.
    -What else do you recommend this time before the game?
    -Also, how difficult is it to get an autograph during BP?

Thanks.

Re: Planning a Trip to Yankee Stadium Advice

Quote Originally Posted by Hud View Post
    Alright I am planning on going next Wednesday and had a few questions.

1) I posted a ticket thread here, in case anybody has any to sell.

Better off with Stubhub

2) Transportation.
    -Which is best going solo from Bridgeport in terms of price and time? Find someone to go with you, share gas and toll
    -Take a metro north NYY train or drive? Drive always a better idea since you are not living around the corner
    -My pause with the train is, I went to MSG this season, had to wait an hour after the game for a ride, and so it took what would have been 65 minutes by car over 2 getting back.

A. If driving, how expensive are lots? Can you get a 5-10 buck space? On the average, it is $35-$45 for the lot closer to Yankee stadium. There are plenty of FREE parking available if you are willing to get there 3 hours before the game.
    B. I can leave anytime from 2:30/3 on if that helps.

3) Carry-In.
    -I take it I can carry in food such as:
    -Homemade sandwich/McD's or Subway sandwich
    -Unopened chips/snacks
    -Unopened water or lemonade

All of the above - as long as they are NOT open and must be in clear plastic bag. The bag can be picked up at the yankees store or hard rock cafe shop. I dont think they would mind giving out plastic bag.

I just have to bring it in a plastic shopping bag?

A. Smuggle.
    -I usually like to have 1-2 nips at a game instead of beer. I have at Camden yards smuggled in nips in my cargo shorts back/lower pocket. Can I smuggle this in at Yankee Stadium? Do they check and where is the best spot to hide?

If you dont get caught, then it is all good. But if you get caught once inside, you might get ejected.

4) Inside concessions.
    -Last time I had boar's head there, good, but small, expensive.
    -I don't feel like spending 25 bucks for a sandwich and snack.
    -I also cannot eat fried food or redmeat. Just Chicken/fish.

Plenty of deli around the corner. Get there early so you can walk around the area and pick and choose of what you like and so forth.

-What concessions could you recommend and for a dinner/snack/fruit how much are we talking?

Save your money. Buy everything outside and bring them inside.

5) What to do pre-game
    -Last time I saw monument park.
    -What else do you recommend this time before the game?
    Visit the Museum would always be a good idea. Walk around and take in the atmosphere.

-Also, how difficult is it to get an autograph during BP?
    Unless you are the first group who entered when the gates are opened, run down to field level, toward the foul lines and just hang out by the blue walls. Have your stuff ready. Some will sign while most will not. But hey, you never know.

Thanks.
    Hope that help.
    It's never about what you know, it's who you know ..... and who's willing to help you to get where you want to be.

Oops! I pooped on your things! __starr69's Avatar

Considering your budget and diet, your best bet would be the delis or restaurant outside of the Stadium. I know the last thing you would want is to get inside, walk through half the Stadium looking for something you can actually eat, then have to wait on a long line to pay a lot of money.

Most of the food at the Stadium is fried, and once you also eliminate red meat, your food options are few and far between. I think your options would be limited to nachos, Boar's Head, and ice cream, maybe a few other things. I think they have chicken cheesesteaks at Carl's, but I'm not entirely sure.

Quote Originally Posted by __starr69 View Post
    Considering your budget and diet, your best bet would be the delis or restaurant outside of the Stadium. I know the last thing you would want is to get inside, walk through half the Stadium looking for something you can actually eat, then have to wait on a long line to pay a lot of money.

Most of the food at the Stadium is fried, and once you also eliminate red meat, your food options are few and far between. I think your options would be limited to nachos, Boar's Head, and ice cream, maybe a few other things. I think they have chicken cheesesteaks at Carl's, but I'm not entirely sure.
    Do they have sushi at the new stadium? (not that I would be brave enough to eat ballpark sushi)
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    Do they have sushi at the new stadium? (not that I would be brave enough to eat ballpark sushi)

There are sushi bar in Delta - which is a whole lot better than on the main concourse.

There are also sushi bar in Audi.
    It's never about what you know, it's who you know ..... and who's willing to help you to get where you want to be.

NYYF Legend

One or two nips?..................9 innings + pre and post game = 18 nips..........you're gonna need a bigger arse.........

"Happy Wife.........Happy Life" - unknown

NYYF Legend

110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    The sushi in the Stadium is awesome. They make it right in front of you.

was gonna suggest the buffalo chicken sliders, but they might be fried

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

Not sure how filling it would be, but there is the Noodle Bowl.
    Life is good!

How much does a grilled chicken sandwich+fruit+pretzels go for?

I will be going solo; so does train or driving make sense?
    How cheap can I get a spot for (5-10 bucks)...if I get there say 5 will I be fine?

Last, what section? I can get 5 bucks in outfield grandstands, or I get 15 bucks for an infield/outfield terrace.
    Is it worth the extra money (say 10-12 bucks more) for terrace?
    If grandstand, infield, home plate, or outfield?

What sucks is that I can only do e-tickets now. I always like the actual stubs. Any of you post-game want to mail me a stub (or meet during the game)?

How much does a grilled chicken sandwich+fruit+pretzels go for?
    More than you'd expect. It is (1) a ballpark and (2) the Yankees. You're going to pay through the nose for all concessions. If you are so price conscious that the cost of a sandwich is an issue, I'd suggest skipping the game altogether.

If grandstand, infield, home plate, or outfield?
    All depends on how you want to see the game. You're going to be way above the field in GS no matter where around the diamond you're located. Only you can make that decision.

If it were up to me and I was going to go to one game all season, I think I'd save up my nickels and try to get the best seat I could afford.
    I can't complain but sometimes I still do. - Joe Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Man View Post
    More than you'd expect. It is (1) a ballpark and (2) the Yankees. You're going to pay through the nose for all concessions. If you are so price conscious that the cost of a sandwich is an issue, I'd suggest skipping the game altogether.
    Or just bring a sandwich in with you.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

All depends on how you want to see the game. You're going to be way above the field in GS no matter where around the diamond you're located. Only you can make that decision.

If it were up to me and I was going to go to one game all season, I think I'd save up my nickels and try to get the best seat I could afford.
    Hey I thought the sandwich comment was a bit snobby.
    I don't feel like spending 30 bucks on food.
    If a sandwich, pretzel, and fruit/chips can be gotten for 20 I am fine.
    But if we are talking 15 bucks for a grilled chicken, come on.

NYYF Triple Crown

But if we are talking 15 bucks for a grilled chicken, come on.
    It's not beyond possibility that a decent quality sandwich (Chicken/pastrami/cheese-steak) purchased inside can run you anywhere from $9 to $15 alone, so you will very likely be somewhere well into the $20's if you decide to not bring any cheaper food items in from the outside. Maybe not $30 but pretty darn close.
    If you're not too far from Gaetano's in Elm Street Plaza, Monroe, I can tell you first hand that you can get a phenomenal sandwich on a roll or hero that will blow away anything you'll get inside the ballpark. I got one from there before we went to the Giants Cowboys opener last week and let me tell you I wish I got two, it was awesome and well worth the money. The Big Guy Combo with L,T, hot deli mustard. Crap, now I want one!
    Jimmy G. (Seniority 03/28/1994)
    1994-2008: Main Res MVP Sec. 14, Row G
    2009: Section 330, Row 6
    2010: Section 233A, Row 20
    2011: Section 229, Row 16 *All Sunday Plans*
    2012: No longer STH, liberated!

It was meant to be. Thank you for noticing.

So, you expect people on this board to tell you if your proposed meal will come in between $20 and $30? Like I said, if that $10 is a deal breaker, perhaps attending a baseball game just isn't for you. Buying food, of any kind, inside Yankee Stadium is going to make you think you've been ripped off, period.

There have been plenty of alternatives offered up in this thread - bringing in your own food, eating someplace outside before the game, going hungry, etc. but somehow that just doesn't seem to be adequate information.

It was meant to be. Thank you for noticing.

So, you expect people on this board to tell you if your proposed meal will come in between $20 and $30? Like I said, if that $10 is a deal breaker, perhaps attending a baseball game just isn't for you. Buying food, of any kind, inside Yankee Stadium is going to make you think you've been ripped off, period.

There have been plenty of alternatives offered up in this thread - bringing in your own food, eating someplace outside before the game, going hungry, etc. but somehow that just doesn't seem to be adequate information.
    AMEN !

When the same person wants 'cheap parking' and he is given a $14 choice, 4 blocks north on River Ave, and he balks at the price.....maybe he really needs to think about skipping the trip to YS and should wait for a game on TV (maybe on FOX since the YES network means you have to pay for cable).

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by mandrake View Post
    AMEN !

When the same person wants 'cheap parking' and he is given a $14 choice, 4 blocks north on River Ave, and he balks at the price.....maybe he really needs to think about skipping the trip to YS and should wait for a game on TV (maybe on FOX since the YES network means you have to pay for cable).
    He can always listen on 880 WCBS-AM for free (except for the commercials and sponsored moments, that is).
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

1) What are some good places nearby to eat reasonably or bring in food?
    (I see there is no subway or chiptole which would have been perfect)

2) What lots can you recommend? 15 bucks is the break even point for parking.
    I found online:

Empire Parking (14.30) 1185 River Ave
    Sherman Parking (15.00) 380 E 162
    250 Bradhurst Ave

Do you know anything about those?

3) Also, what is the best route in/out to CT?

There is a subway restaurant on 161st between Gerard and Walton, a block and a half from River. On the McDonald's side.

Other than that there are Burger King, McD's, a few delis, a diner, a Jamaican place, Chinese, a Latin place, fried chicken, pizzeria, and most of the bars serve food as well.

(I see there is no subway or chiptole which would have been perfect)
    Yeah, you'd never want to try anything that wasn't from a worldwide fast food chain.

Empire Parking (14.30) 1185 River Ave
    Sherman Parking (15.00) 380 E 162
    250 Bradhurst Ave
    I'd recommend saving the 70 cents.

There is a subway restaurant on 161st between Gerard and Walton, a block and a half from River. On the McDonald's side.

Other than that there are Burger King, McD's, a few delis, a diner, a Jamaican place, Chinese, a Latin place, fried chicken, pizzeria, and most of the bars serve food as well.
    Which would you recommend...the subway or the deli?
    Do they sell chips/pretzels/water outside the stadium?

I just assume not take in food so I don't need to carry around a bag, but can someone tell me the cost of a grilled chicken sandwich, pretzel, and fruit?
    Last time I got Boar's Head and felt ripped off.

I didn't realize they had:

Moe's
    Mike's

I think I may just go to Moe's; I can do plain burritos and the cost is fair (10 bucks).

Which would you recommend...the subway or the deli?
    Do they sell chips/pretzels/water outside the stadium?

I just assume not take in food so I don't need to carry around a bag, but can someone tell me the cost of a grilled chicken sandwich, pretzel, and fruit?
    Last time I got Boar's Head and felt ripped off.
    Definitely the deli. My favorite one is the Banana Deli on the Billy's side of 161st. Not only do they have hot and cold sandwiches that blow Subway's options and quality out of the water, but they'll have hot meals and a salad bar when you go.

You'll really be gypping yourself if you eat Subway, IMO. The only time I eat there is if I didn't eat well beforehand and I have nothing but the gift card the Yankees gave out (and the one near the Stadium doesn't even take them so I don't eat at that one.)

You can bring in your own food and drink into the Stadium, or whatever you get from the deli. The drinks need to be in a clear, plastic, unopened bottle.

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

I would pretty much always recommend a locally owned deli over Subway.
    Life is good!

Definitely the deli. My favorite one is the Banana Deli on the Billy's side of 161st. Not only do they have hot and cold sandwiches that blow Subway's options and quality out of the water, but they'll have hot meals and a salad bar when you go.

You'll really be gypping yourself if you eat Subway, IMO. The only time I eat there is if I didn't eat well beforehand and I have nothing but the gift card the Yankees gave out (and the one near the Stadium doesn't even take them so I don't eat at that one.)

You can bring in your own food and drink into the Stadium, or whatever you get from the deli. The drinks need to be in a clear, plastic, unopened bottle.
    Alright, well I will either go to Banana Deli (any others) or eat in.
    I see Moe's is gone...so the only places would be Malibu or Triple Play for grilled chicken.
    I think if I buy in though I'll get ripped off and be hungry.

I will get fruit and pretzels inside (NYY Pretzel or Kosher...which is better).

Do they sell water/pretzels outside?
    I am bring some lemonade in.

The only problem with bringing food in is that I want to get there when gates open to explore gates 4-6 and BP (which is at 6?). So don't know how awkward/uncomfortable carrying food in a platic bag/draw string back pack around.

Thread Information