+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: Playing through pain..

Jeter's heart has never been in question. He gives everything he has every single day, period.

But that's exactly what I'm trying to say.

If this were June or July he probably would go on the 15 day DL.

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

Of course it is a different injury but I guess that is irrelevant. Teixeira tried playing through pain wiu a more significant injury and look what happened.
    Life is good!

remember when Jeter had a Grade 1 calf strain last year and missed 3 weeks? what a wuss!

Quote Originally Posted by nnysiny View Post
    remember when Jeter had a Grade 1 calf strain last year and missed 3 weeks? what a wuss!
    The epitome of weak, imfho
    EvilEmpireDC: Fans bitch about anything lol

Tex had the same injury and tried playing after two weeks (and got hurt again). People have to learn and understand the difference between playing through pain (as Jeter will tonight) and trying to play injured (as Tex tried to do Saturday night).
    Life is good!

Jeter's calf strain was in june when the yankees had a sizeable lead in the division, not in September in a tie for the division.

I know you want to play contrarian so I'll leave it at that.

Quote Originally Posted by enozlac View Post
    Jeter's calf strain was in june when the yankees had a sizeable lead in the division, not in September in a tie for the division.

I know you want to play contrarian so I'll leave it at that.
    I think when the rest of the thread consists of people telling you you're wrong, it is you that is the contrarian.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    I think when the rest of the thread consists of people telling you you're wrong, it is you that is the contrarian.

Not to mention he came back a week earlier than the normal rest time for the injury, REINJURED it and as a result will miss 10-14 more days. Which also makes the entire point of this thread wrong.
    Life is good!

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    Not to mention he came back a week earlier than the normal rest time for the injury, REINJURED it and as a result will miss 10-14 more days. Which also makes the entire point of this thread wrong.
    We don't have time for facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Let's Go Yanks View Post
    Seriously. So overpaid for the production we're getting. And tries to market himself as a "nice guy" when he's just another Boras client. I've yet to see him display ANY sort of personality whatsoever. Remember when our players actually looked like they were enjoying themselves out there?
    All the hate for Tex is baffling to me.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by TheHit23Man View Post

You are not the only one baffled by it

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHit23Man View Post
    It probably derives from the gap between performance and expectations as defined by his salary. Many fans seem to think that if a player does not perform at the level of his salary, he is cheating them by slacking or not trying hard or not being tough. This has been true for fans of all teams for as long as I have been following the game, which is a long time. Many fans resent the privileged lives, and salaries, of the players. And many fans do not really accept the contingencies and unpredictability of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by rajah View Post
    It probably derives from the gap between performance and expectations as defined by his salary. Many fans seem to think that if a player does not perform at the level of his salary, he is cheating them by slacking or not trying hard or not being tough. This has been true for fans of all teams for as long as I have been following the game, which is a long time. Many fans resent the privileged lives, and salaries, of the players. And many fans do not really accept the contingencies and unpredictability of the game.
    While I'm the most blindly devoted Tex fan, I will say that MOST people here are just frustrated with him. They don't actually hate him.

NYYF Legend

It is not Tex's fault that the Yankees have thrown money at him to the tune of $22 mil this year, just as it isn't ARod's fault that the Yankees signed ARod to an incredibly dumb 10 year contract that pays him $29 mil this year. But there is no doubt that both are among the premiere players in the league.

If fans are jealous of the money and attention these players get then they are not fans of the game and I feel sorry for them.

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

You don't have to agree, or even sympathize, with something to try to understand it.

You don't have to agree, or even sympathize, with something to try to understand it.
    You're right.

And to your earlier point, it's is the gap between performance and pay, combined with the fact that it APPEARS to the average eye that he hasn't changed his approach. It's just natural for fans to get frustrated when he grounds into the shift for the bazillionth time.

We've all grown accustomed to seeing the Yankees make big acquisitions in time of need, and they're not spending like that at all. We've been spoiled, so it's easy to blame the limitations caused by a LTD the size of Teixeira's and get increasingly annoyed, whether it warranted or not.

Yes, it's not his fault he got the money, but let's not fool ourselves that Teixeira is one of those guys who was all about the number. He's acted that way since the draft. And yes, we expect decline over a big contract, but his happened too quickly.

In summary, I don't blame the fans for being frustrated with him, and wouldn't question the the loyalty of a fan who is. It's one of side effects of singing a mega contract.
    Team Northern Lights

Thread Information