+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re: Miggy with legit shot at the Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by jlw1980 View Post
    I was being sarcastic, Steve.
    So was I. In fact my post was a sequel to yours. I was trying to keep the sarcasm going.
    You're a stranger til she whispers you can stay.
    You're a stranger til she whispers that your journey's over.

NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    So was I. In fact my post was a sequel to yours. I was trying to keep the sarcasm going.
    Oh. It sounded like you thought I was serious. Carry on.
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
    -- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by jlw1980 View Post
    Oh. It sounded like you thought I was serious. Carry on.
    I can't tell if this post is serious or sarcastic.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Miggy winning TC is only interesting to track this year because of Trout. If Miggy wins TC, Trout finishes second in BA, and probably doesn't win MVP... though he should.

Trout is seriously leading MLB in WAR. On traditional MVP stats... leading in SB, basically tied with Miggy in BA, leading in Rs (111).

And he's playing insanely good defense in CF.

MVP MVP

I think Trout has pulled back as many home runs as he's hit.

Meanwhile, it will be interesting to see if McCutcheon can get hot again and overtake Melky for the batting title. By my figuring, he'll have to hit close to .380 the rest of the way to do it.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    I'm not at all clear that Mickey Mantle was any less of a jerk or a better citizen than Miguel Cabrera.
    He was probably a good guy when sober.
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd

Quote Originally Posted by Blazer View Post
    He was probably a good guy when sober.
    Maybe Billy Martin was, too. But we'll never know, will we?
    - Barry Manilow

Meanwhile, it will be interesting to see if McCutcheon can get hot again and overtake Melky for the batting title. By my figuring, he'll have to hit close to .380 the rest of the way to do it.
    Pretty embarrassing for MLB if Melky ends up holding on to the batting title in a season ended by a PED suspension. There's a chance the two batting champs would have the same last name -- that would have to be a first, right? -- but I'm still holding out hope that Jeter gets it in the AL.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

NYYF Legend

I could have sworn that it was noted at the time of Melky's bust that he was one AB short of qualifying for the batting title? That wasn't true?

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    I could have sworn that it was noted at the time of Melky's bust that he was one AB short of qualifying for the batting title? That wasn't true?
    Yes, he is one AB short of qualifying, but according to the rules he can still win. They add an 0-for-1 to his stats, and the result is considered for the title. The idea, I assume, is that a guy hitting .315 and 502 PA shouldn't win the title over a guy hitting .425 in 497 PA.

In Melky's case, the 0-for-1 would leave him at .3457 for the season. McCutcheon, meanwhile, has been averaging 3.8 AB/game, which would give him about 87 more for the season, or a total of 595 AB. 206 hits would give him .3462 and the title. So he'd have to go 33-for-87, a .379 stretch, to beat Melky out.

Obviously, those numbers change depending on how many at0bats McCutcheon actually gets - but they don't change all that much. That's the sort of pace he has to maintain if he's going to pass Melky.
    - Barry Manilow

ahahahaha
    always reasonable

NYYF Legend

Yes, he is one AB short of qualifying, but according to the rules he can still win. They add an 0-for-1 to his stats, and the result is considered for the title. The idea, I assume, is that a guy hitting .315 and 502 PA shouldn't win the title over a guy hitting .425 in 497 PA.

In Melky's case, the 0-for-1 would leave him at .3457 for the season. McCutcheon, meanwhile, has been averaging 3.8 AB/game, which would give him about 87 more for the season, or a total of 595 AB. 206 hits would give him .3462 and the title. So he'd have to go 33-for-87, a .379 stretch, to beat Melky out.

Obviously, those numbers change depending on how many at0bats McCutcheon actually gets - but they don't change all that much. That's the sort of pace he has to maintain if he's going to pass Melky.
    Wow...thanks for the info.

NYYF Legend

If Jeter wins it would be great. However, if it isn't him I would love to see the kid from New Jersey, Mike Trout win the batting title and somehow gets the MVP. If he stays healthy and keeps a level head, he could be the next Mantle.

NYYF Cy Young

LOVE that gif of the Mick's lefty swing. Does any current Yankee have such a powerful yet smooth swing?
    All the fat guys watch me & say to their wives, 'See, there's a fat guy doing okay. Bring me another beer. Mickey Lolich

Quote Originally Posted by Sixty one View Post
    If Jeter wins it would be great. However, if it isn't him I would love to see the kid from New Jersey, Mike Trout win the batting title and somehow gets the MVP. If he stays healthy and keeps a level head, he could be the next Mantle.
    I'm pretty certain Trout is a lock. I know there is competition but you have to be realistic about things. The kid is absolutely amazing offensively and defensively. He's a human highlight reel. Jeter is my favorite current Yankee and one of my favorite of all time. But if I had the choice in my hands I could not in good conscience give it to him. I would still choose Trout.

Now if I could go back to 99 and crown the true MVP, that would be Jeter. Worst, snub, ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Messerwhitescooter View Post
    LOVE that gif of the Mick's lefty swing. Does any current Yankee have such a powerful yet smooth swing?
    Not now, maybe never ever.
    Pardon, for us.

Now if I could go back to 99 and crown the true MVP, that would be Jeter. Worst, snub, ever.
    I think there were other candidates as deserving as Jeter that year. It's just that Ivan Rodriguez wasn't one of them. He shouldn't have finished higher than 6th or 7th, tops.
    - Barry Manilow

If not Jeter then Pedro would be my second choice.

Pedro was on a different planet than any other player in 1999 and 2000. He should've won both league MVPs.

I thought the bigger snub was Morneau over Jeter in 2006.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

If not Jeter then Pedro would be my second choice.
    It could also reasonably have gone to Manny or Nomar.
    - Barry Manilow

It could also reasonably have gone to Manny or Nomar.
    Nomar missed 30 games that year. Giving him the MVP would have been a pretty weak call.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    I thought the bigger snub was Morneau over Jeter in 2006.
    This, absolutely. I happened to have both of them on one of my fantasy teams that season. Jeter came out of the starting blocks and never looked back. He was amazingly consistent from wire to wire. Morneau was God awful at the beginning of the season. I had him benched for several weeks! Yes, he had a monster second half but Jeter's overall season outshone him. I don't think I've ever been so angry about an MVP vote.

Jeter's '99 season was outstanding but if any player was snubbed in the MVP voting that year it was definitely Pedro Martinez.

Well, guys, don't take my comment so literally. When Jeter earns the MVP and is snubbed it's the worst snub ever. Although I do like where the conversation went it is interesting.

The reason why I didn't choose Pedro as my first choice when I said Jeter though is because I was under the impression that pitchers were no longer realistic candidates until Verlander was awarded it last year. Which I don't agree with, and it's why I chose Jeter. All things bing equal in 99, Pedro is the clear winner. He was on another planet like Hooligan said.

Thread Information