+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: I'm worried. It's time to press the panic button.

Most of us recognized the weaknesses of this team early on, and frankly they greatly overachieved in the first half. The injuries have been part of the problem, Gardner especially was a huge loss that we're still feeling the effects of, but every team deals with injuries and it isn't an excuse. The one dimensional offense and poor hitting with RISP is the real root of the team's problems. Those problems existed while the team was winning.....they have not been corrected.....regression was inevitable.

Granderson has slumped at the worst possible time too. With A-Rod out we really needed him to step up. Very disappointed in his inconsistent performance this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Sabbathia View Post
    Most of us recognized the weaknesses of this team early on, and frankly they greatly overachieved in the first half. The injuries have been part of the problem, Gardner especially was a huge loss that we're still feeling the effects of, but every team deals with injuries and it isn't an excuse. The one dimensional offense and poor hitting with RISP is the real root of the team's problems. Those problems existed while the team was winning.....they have not been corrected.....regression was inevitable.

Granderson has slumped at the worst possible time too. With A-Rod out we really needed him to step up. Very disappointed in his inconsistent performance this year.
    I agree 100%..Funny thing is, people thought the lack of hitting with RISP was not a problem, because we were 3rd or 4th in runs scored.
    Ain't it EVIL to LIVE backwards

Addicted Member

I agree 100 percent with your post.

I also think, andI'm going to beat this drum for the rest of the year, is how badly Cashman overestimated the team's rotation.

Tonight the team started David Phelps. I'm sorry David Phelps shouldn't be close to pitching in such a meaningful game. And you see the results. You can argue that if Andy' hadn't gotten hurt, he would be on the mound. But what if Pettite had not decided to come back, who would have been the Yanks pitcher for now. Maybe Pineda if his arm didn't crap out. I just think once Pettite went, Cashman should have been on the phone looking for better pitching. I'm sorry but Freddy Garcia or Nova is not going to cut for me.

Yankee Stadium: 1923-2008 DiMaggio5CF's Avatar

I wouldn't even know where to find a stat for this, but is there a way to find out if Yankee pitching leads the league in runs allowed immediately after the offense scores? It sure seems like they do.
    27-Time World Champions

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by DiMaggio5CF View Post
    I wouldn't even know where to find a stat for this, but is there a way to find out if Yankee pitching leads the league in runs allowed immediately after the offense scores? It sure seems like they do.
    Sure does seem like the one must follow the other, as the night the day.

Another thing I'd say....I like Joe Girardi's management style in general....I like how he keeps an even keel and composure, he trusts his players, he doesn't throw anyone under the bus.....he's a good manager, gripes about X's and O's aside.......but sometimes a manager needs to get fired up and give his team a kick in the ass when they aren't performing up to expectations......and Girardi hasn't done that.....and this team really needs to get slapped in the face with reality right now if they have any hope or desire to make the playoffs and compete for rings

NYYF Triple Crown

Unfortunately veteran teams like the Yankees don't respond to pep talk. It's not time to panic yet. We still have over three weeks of baseball left.

NYYF Legend

Another thing I'd say....I like Joe Girardi's management style in general....I like how he keeps an even keel and composure, he trusts his players, he doesn't throw anyone under the bus.....he's a good manager, gripes about X's and O's aside.......but sometimes a manager needs to get fired up and give his team a kick in the ass when they aren't performing up to expectations......and Girardi hasn't done that.....and this team really needs to get slapped in the face with reality right now if they have any hope or desire to make the playoffs and compete for rings

We have no idea how Girardi talks to his team in private. We have no idea how fired up he can get in private team talks. The Yankees have tht the NY media can be unmerciful so they keep all problems/disputes, etc internal.

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

I don't get too concerned about the one dimensional style of this team during the regular season, but it concerns me that the postseason has a much better chance of getting the results we're seeing how because the power often goes out in October, usually for all teams, so the team that depends on the power the most gets disadvantaged. We could surely use another .300 hitter near the top of the linuep that can just get on base and score 100+ runs...I have a lot more faith that a player like that will produce closer to his regular season performance in October than the power hitters.
    Let the kids play.

Please sign David Robertson and Chase Headley.

The last two Yankees wins were the Results of errors from the opposing team. The Yankees have NOT WON an actually game since 8/28/12 against the Blue Jays.

NYYF Triple Crown

Last edited by StingrayJG; 09-08-12 at 01:24 AM.
    Jimmy G. (Seniority 03/28/1994)
    1994-2008: Main Res MVP Sec. 14, Row G
    2009: Section 330, Row 6
    2010: Section 233A, Row 20
    2011: Section 229, Row 16 *All Sunday Plans*
    2012: No longer STH, liberated!

Quote Originally Posted by Nome View Post
    We have no idea how Girardi talks to his team in private. We have no idea how fired up he can get in private team talks. The Yankees have tht the NY media can be unmerciful so they keep all problems/disputes, etc internal.

Andy
    This is true....but I've been paying pretty close attention to Girardi's management style....the way he behaves during games.....the way he interacts with media......the way he talks about his players.....I like him a lot, but I'm getting the sense that when the team enters a tailspin like it has been lately that we need a different voice to fire them up. That voice could be from management, or a bench coach, or even a player....but something seems to be lacking in this team's leadership

Quote Originally Posted by SIMichael View Post
    Where is the improvement? The Yankees look old and tired. Very frustrated about last night's lost and the fact that the Yankees are no longer solely in 1st place. I made a rant video how the Orioles are now the newer Yankees.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bM0oIZs1-kU
    First things first call up Zolio Almonte or Melky Mesa so Ibanez and Jones do not need to look silly in the outfielf

I thought he was trying to do that when he got kicked out

This is true....but I've been paying pretty close attention to Girardi's management style....the way he behaves during games.....the way he interacts with media......the way he talks about his players.....I like him a lot, but I'm getting the sense that when the team enters a tailspin like it has been lately that we need a different voice to fire them up. That voice could be from management, or a bench coach, or even a player....but something seems to be lacking in this team's leadership
    That is what Jorge Posada used 2 b. I think there was a reason the only season we missed the playoffs in 4ever was when Jorge hurt his shoulder. Pudge and Molina did a decent job but we missed the vocal leaqdership that Jorge provided

The last two Yankees wins were the Results of errors from the opposing team. The Yankees have NOT WON an actually game since 8/28/12 against the Blue Jays.
    A win is a win I would take a win tonight even if we won because somebody throws a ball away

Running Old not-so-Wiley Garcia, Enigmatic Hughes, Jekyll & Hyde Nova on the mound was recipe for a disaster when the runs stop coming in.
    [IMG]http://forums.nyyfans.com/customprofilepics/profilepic10444_1.gif[/IMG]

The other runs they scored in those games were via magic.

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    The other runs they scored in those games were via magic.
    More like residual aura and mystique.
    Mariano Rivera was so great he was able to close a Denny's.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthbayyankeeD View Post
    I agree 100 percent with your post.

I also think, andI'm going to beat this drum for the rest of the year, is how badly Cashman overestimated the team's rotation.

Tonight the team started David Phelps. I'm sorry David Phelps shouldn't be close to pitching in such a meaningful game. And you see the results. You can argue that if Andy' hadn't gotten hurt, he would be on the mound. But what if Pettite had not decided to come back, who would have been the Yanks pitcher for now. Maybe Pineda if his arm didn't crap out. I just think once Pettite went, Cashman should have been on the phone looking for better pitching. I'm sorry but Freddy Garcia or Nova is not going to cut for me.
    Starting such a b ig game right? Because if he was in the bullpen he would be fine he was doing good

Hell.........I don't care if we use smoke and mirrors..........what ever works...

"Happy Wife.........Happy Life" - unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Gregyankees4life View Post
    That is what Jorge Posada used 2 b. I think there was a reason the only season we missed the playoffs in 4ever was when Jorge hurt his shoulder. Pudge and Molina did a decent job but we missed the vocal leaqdership that Jorge provided
    There's reasons, and Jorge is one of them - but it was his bat that was missed, not his clubhouse personality. That team unfortunately was mediocre offensively and defensively. That's why they missed the playoffs.

Finally the Yankees manged to win a game so far this month was wasn't due to the opposing team causing a critical error. It's about time.

Quote Originally Posted by bcom33 View Post
    Also, statistically, the Orioles are a COMPLETE fluke. Just look at their Runs Scored vs. Runs Allowed and their pythagorean W-L. They shouldn't even be close to where they are. They ABSOLUTELY WILL fall off. The Rays, on the other hand, are probably a legitimate threat to the division title.
    Everything you said about the Orioles is true, but they are a much better team right now than they were earlier in the year. They have some good young players that are all starting to put it together at once. It might be a fluke that they were in a position to make a run to begin with, but they're not winning games based on luck right now.
    [COLOR=navy][/COLOR]

Thread Information