+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

I'm worried. It's time to press the panic button.

Where is the improvement? The Yankees look old and tired. Very frustrated about last night's lost and the fact that the Yankees are no longer solely in 1st place. I made a rant video how the Orioles are now the newer Yankees.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bM0oIZs1-kU

Re: I'm worried. It's time to press the panic button.

So.... what's the panic button gonna do?
    Is it gonna make the Orioles lose?
    Is it gonna make the Yankees win?

There were a lotta guys over performing in the beginning of the season, like Ibanez.
    Now that he is showing his true colors, he's back to being bad at baseball.
    The catcher position has been a black hole in the lineup since day one of the season.
    A-Rod has been hurt and his replacement played well for a while but now, not so much.
    Tex is out which moves Swish to first but that puts another soft spot in the lineup.

Last night's lineup:
    Jeter
    Granderson
    Swisher
    Cano
    A-Rod
    Ibanez
    Nix
    Dickerson
    Stewart

Granderson, Ibanez, Nix and Stewart are just about automatic outs at this point.
    A-Rod is still getting his timing down.
    That's 5 batters that we cannot expect too much from, if anything.
    3.5 at bats each..... 17/18 outs for them. That only leaves about 10 outs to do something with for the rest of the Yankee offense.
    And this theory discounts Dickerson and either of Jeter, Swisher or Cano slumping.

There's a few things that need to happen to have the team turn things around.
    Tex needs to be back because anyone that's filling in for Swisher's absence in the OF, blows.
    Granderson needs to start hitting and A-Rod needs to find his timing sooner rather than later.
    That'll leave the LF platoon and the catcher positions as the auto-outs. 6-9 outs can be carried. Not 18 outs!!!
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

NYYF Legend

Panicking doesn't DO anything about injuries. You just have to wait until the injured players get better. There's literally nothing else you can do.

If you want to complain about something, complain about the lack of talent the Yankees have at AA or AAA that could be used as decent replacement players at times like these.

Also, statistically, the Orioles are a COMPLETE fluke. Just look at their Runs Scored vs. Runs Allowed and their pythagorean W-L. They shouldn't even be close to where they are. They ABSOLUTELY WILL fall off. The Rays, on the other hand, are probably a legitimate threat to the division title.
    Masahiro Tanaka, 24-0 in 2013. He's the Japanese Jack Bauer.

It's going to be a hell of a race. The O's are no joke. And neither are the A's. The AL has a very interesting race for the playoffs right now. It's great comp.
    Thank you, 2013-2014 New York Rangers for a great season!

NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

I do agree the O's aren't a joke right now. I don't feel the Yankees farm system is good as it use to be. I wish the Yankees had a top prospect to bring up instead of just trading them away. The Yankees rely too much on older players with experience. Let the younger guys play and watch them develop.

Quote Originally Posted by bcom33 View Post

Also, statistically, the Orioles are a COMPLETE fluke. Just look at their Runs Scored vs. Runs Allowed and their pythagorean W-L. They shouldn't even be close to where they are. They ABSOLUTELY WILL fall off. The Rays, on the other hand, are probably a legitimate threat to the division title.
    I'd be more quick to dismiss the Orioles if it were, say, May and they were severely outperforming their Pytagorean W-L, but we are well into September. Their magic may run out, but it may not be this year.

Also, look at the records and run differentials over the last few months, courtesy of ESPN.com.

Since July 19:
    Yankees: 19-25, run differential of plus-3
    Orioles: 29-15, run differential of plus-37
    Rays: 28-16, run differential of plus-84

Yeah - we all want better minor league players to be able to fill in for the injured major leaguers.
    Truth is - in order to have better minor league players, the team is gonna need to pick higher in the drafts to acquire such talent that would involve less luck of the player being any good on a ML level.
    So we cannot even complain about weak minor league players, really.
    You want the team to win, they're gonna pick lower in the draft and sacrifice having ML talent that is ready to step in when A-Rod, Tex or Pettitte go down.

NYYF Triple Crown

Let's face it. Yankees are not very good (or patient) at developing players at major league level. Jackson would never have had the chance to play everyday if he was not traded to the Tigers. Yankees let other teams develop players and when these players are ready to shine, Yankees sign them up to some ridiculous long term contracts. That's the MO of this team.

And this system works most of the time. Yankees have been in the postseason this century except for 2008. How many teams can make similar claim?

Just don't tear any Orioles napkins.

I pressed the panic button.

Let's just sit back and see what happens now.

This should be good.

I hope.
    Whatever you think...
    Well, you're wrong.

I'm not worried. The O's have a tougher schedule, and if they can manage to pull it out despite that schedule then they deserve to win the east. I've been through 2 long stretches of poor Yankee teams or good Yankee teams that didn't make the playoffs. This really doesn't bother me at all.

Other than that, I mostly agree with effdamets. Too many easy outs in this lineup right now, and OBPs for too many others are low. Ichiro and his sub .300 OBP doesn't seem to be helping the cause either.
    Let the kids play.

Quote Originally Posted by effdamets View Post
    Yeah - we all want better minor league players to be able to fill in for the injured major leaguers.
    Truth is - in order to have better minor league players, the team is gonna need to pick higher in the drafts to acquire such talent that would involve less luck of the player being any good on a ML level.
    So we cannot even complain about weak minor league players, really.
    You want the team to win, they're gonna pick lower in the draft and sacrifice having ML talent that is ready to step in when A-Rod, Tex or Pettitte go down.
    While there are plenty of examples of there being less risky players higher up in the draft, there are a ton of players with immense talent that get picked in the later rounds. It's not like the NFL where franchise players are most likely coming in the top 10 picks. You'd be surprised at how many very good -to- elite players were not first rounders.

Especially when you take into consideration the IFA, Yankees had their opportunities to acquire major amateur talent. Whether they didn't feel like spending the money or their scouts messed up, there's more to it then just blaming it on where they draft.

Yankee Fan in Gator Nation Pasco08's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    I'm not worried. The O's have a tougher schedule, and if they can manage to pull it out despite that schedule then they deserve to win the east. I've been through 2 long stretches of poor Yankee teams or good Yankee teams that didn't make the playoffs. This really doesn't bother me at all.

Other than that, I mostly agree with effdamets. Too many easy outs in this lineup right now, and OBPs for too many others are low. Ichiro and his sub .300 OBP doesn't seem to be helping the cause either.
    I am sorry i believe i am missing something we are supposed to have the easy schedule but we are still losing a lot....

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Pasco08 View Post
    I am sorry i believe i am missing something we are supposed to have the easy schedule but we are still losing a lot....
    The easier schedule comes towards the middle of September.

Hunka Hunka Hot Monkey Love! mitchrock's Avatar

It's time for the players to sleep with a slumbuster. Time to take one for the team.

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    Just don't tear any Orioles napkins.
    Hey I only tear Red Sox Napkins and it WORKED.

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    The easier schedule comes towards the middle of September.
    On Paper it looks easier. However the Yankees aren't playing like the numbers based on the backs of there baseball cards right now.

Addicted Member

Been pressing it since Garcia's last outing, haven't gotten any response. Like trying to get help in the Automotive section at my local general store.

Quote Originally Posted by Jax Teller View Post
    While there are plenty of examples of there being less risky players higher up in the draft, there are a ton of players with immense talent that get picked in the later rounds. It's not like the NFL where franchise players are most likely coming in the top 10 picks. You'd be surprised at how many very good -to- elite players were not first rounders.

Especially when you take into consideration the IFA, Yankees had their opportunities to acquire major amateur talent. Whether they didn't feel like spending the money or their scouts messed up, there's more to it then just blaming it on where they draft.
    you have a point with the IFAs, but no longer.
    With the cap on the IFA spending, it's gonna be very different.

after tonight's win. I don't have to press the panic button. Next stop Camden. Hopefully the Yankees can take 3 out of 4 from those Orioles.

NYYF Legend

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

We're going to look back on this day and remember as the one in which SIMichael pushed the button and transformed the season.

Well done.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

NYYF Legend

The perfect antidote to the "Magic Number" thread.
    [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]We do not see things as they are. We see them as we are.

It is never too late to be what you might have been.
    [/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by JfromJersey View Post
    The perfect antidote to the "Magic Number" thread.
    I like both.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

I'm featured on YESnetwork.com today. No big deal. http://web.yesnetwork.com/media/vide...nt_id=24547423

Thread Information