+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Joe Mauer?

Joe Mauer?

Yeah I know: 189MM in 2014, Fiscally conservative, etc etc.

Just sick of the sack of dog crap at catcher. (Terrible combined wOBA from the C spot this season, don't have the exact number on me)

He is elite at getting on base and not swinging out of the zone and hacking at every pitch.

Even though his power is "gone" it is mostly being supressed by the cavernous Target Field. You would have to think the power numbers could go up a tad hitting in Yankee stadium.

The way Granderson has been performing lately, I just don't know if he is a long term guy we need to lock up.

If the Twins could eat a portion of his salary and make the deal in the 6/120 range:

Would you consider doing it with the money we were possibly going to allot towards Granderson's extension?

Of course the downsides:
    - Slightly injury prone
    - Another left handed bat in a pretty heavy left handed lineup (though his splits vs. lefties are pretty decent)

Not advocating it by any means, just throwing out feelers to see what others would think of a scenario. If George was still with us today I think the performances of the catcher position this season would have made him demand changes.

What say you?

NYYF Legend

Re: Joe Mauer?

No.......

"Happy Wife.........Happy Life" - unknown

Quote Originally Posted by enozlac View Post
    Yeah I know: 189MM in 2014, Fiscally conservative, etc etc.

Just sick of the sack of dog crap at catcher. (Terrible combined wOBA from the C spot this season, don't have the exact number on me)

He is elite at getting on base and not swinging out of the zone and hacking at every pitch.

Even though his power is "gone" it is mostly being supressed by the cavernous Target Field. You would have to think the power numbers could go up a tad hitting in Yankee stadium.

The way Granderson has been performing lately, I just don't know if he is a long term guy we need to lock up.

If the Twins could eat a portion of his salary and make the deal in the 6/120 range:

Would you consider doing it with the money we were possibly going to allot towards Granderson's extension?

Of course the downsides:
    - Slightly injury prone
    - Another left handed bat in a pretty heavy left handed lineup (though his splits vs. lefties are pretty decent)

Not advocating it by any means, just throwing out feelers to see what others would think of a scenario. If George was still with us today I think the performances of the catcher position this season would have made him demand changes.

What say you?
    I would...but then again, I would play you at C to save me the pain of watching Russell Martin at the plate

Quote Originally Posted by UK_Yankee View Post
    I would...but then again, I would play you at C to save me the pain of watching Russell Martin at the plate
    lol, he probably wouldn't be much worse. but if we don't resign grandy we have to pay someone to play outfield unless we move up someone. but i would talk to the twins about mauer and if they took on some of the money i'd trade for him.

NYYF Legend

Angry Re: Joe Mauer?

He loves the Twins.......he isn't leaving!

Why would the Yankees go after a $23 milion dollar a year singles hitting catcher? As if watching Arod and teix declining right before our very eyes wasn't enough.

And the Twins aren't going to pay the Yankees to take the best player and most identifiable figure off their team because NY is in the market for a better hitting catcher.

Quote Originally Posted by Benefactor View Post
    Why would the Yankees go after a $23 milion dollar a year singles hitting catcher? As if watching Arod and teix declining right before our very eyes wasn't enough.
    I don't think Mauer would be a singles-hitting catcher with the Yankees. His power disappeared when the Twins moved from the Metrodome to Target Field, and I think he'd find a resurgence in Yankee Stadium.

The thing is, while I don't think he would be a singles hitter, I don't think he'd be a catcher, either. Not very often, and not for very long.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

No way. Bring up Cervelli and Romaine from SWB and release Martin and Stewart. Release Derrick Lowe as well, he's next to useless.

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    I don't think Mauer would be a singles-hitting catcher with the Yankees. His power disappeared when the Twins moved from the Metrodome to Target Field, and I think he'd find a resurgence in Yankee Stadium.

The thing is, while I don't think he would be a singles hitter, I don't think he'd be a catcher, either. Not very often, and not for very long.
    I agree. And wnile it's true that Mauer's most valuable when behind the plate, he can't provide his full value when he's on the disabled list each year. Mauer's defense isn't what it used to be, and his bat is clearly his best asset. Judging from his inability to stay healthy for an entire summer, the transition needs to happen sooner rather than later. I'm sure he'd make a somewhat passible corner outfielder, but I'm not sure he's worth that steep price tag and the prospects it would likely cost to get it done.

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

No, even at that rate, it's too costly for our budget going forward. Martin will almost certainly be gone after this year anyway.
    Life is good!

I'm not sure that it would cost much in the way of prospects, given that the contract is so unwieldy for a team like Minnesota at this point. Now, that doesn't mean I want to go get the guy, but it's something to be considered.

I'd be interested if Minnesota were willing to eat a decent amount of his salary and not ask for much in return. Mauer's not an everyday catcher, but he's one of the very best on-base guys in all of baseball, and you could probably ride him at backstop through most of the playoffs, given all the days off.

A broken down catcher, that is getting paid a ton. puff puff pass

NYYF Legend

No.........

"Happy Wife.........Happy Life" - unknown

Quote Originally Posted by RenoHightower View Post
    I'm not sure that it would cost much in the way of prospects, given that the contract is so unwieldy for a team like Minnesota at this point. Now, that doesn't mean I want to go get the guy, but it's something to be considered.

I'd be interested if Minnesota were willing to eat a decent amount of his salary and not ask for much in return. Mauer's not an everyday catcher, but he's one of the very best on-base guys in all of baseball, and you could probably ride him at backstop through most of the playoffs, given all the days off.
    Minnesota would have to eat substantially more than a decent amount of his salary for the Yankees to blink at the notion. A move like that could destroy financial flexibility for the next 4 to 5 years. And I really can't see the Yankee brass sinking over 100 million into 5 players over the next half a decade. That is assuming cano is resigned of course.

Don't call it a comeback False1's Avatar

Kind of funny how everyone complains about Martin's offense, and our offense in general not getting enough hits and too many HR... yet in this thread we don't want a "singles hitting catcher" that has consistently raked with RISP. Dude has a >.400 OBP this year and for his career.

I agree though with JL and others... the problem is that he isn't a FT catcher anymore. If he was, he'd be the kind of asset I think that the FO would give up on $189MM for. That type of offense from a catcher, particularly if YSIII gives him a lift, is invaluable. Plus, he's marketable.

The other hurdle... I'd be shocked if the Twins traded him, particularly if they had to eat $$ to do so. Can't believe how putting him on revocable waivers has gotten so much buzz this year.

Mauer would be a perfect fit on this team. The Yankees net $500 million/year - this artificial $189 cap is going to quickly turn this team into the 1965 Yankees. Martin, Jones, Pearce, Ibanez? No, not one will be solely responsible, but these people now make up the bulk of the team. Granderson has been a hugh disappointment - certainly not worth the players given up. Why would he be a priority to re-sign? He is Carlos Pena - one dimensional and even more so as he ages. Tex and Arod are two hugh albatrosses with contracts 4x their worth. The middle relief, once a strong point, is being eroded. This is the oldest team in MLB. The injuries are to be expected. A good GM would have built a more balanced team instead of one made up from cast-off band-aids. If this is the team the management want, then they would be better off selling to someone commited to putting a championship calibre team back on the field.

NYYF Legend

$$$$$ - otherwise sure but then if it was otherwise no way he is ever put on waivers. Too much money & too many years left on that contract for a C. But from a pure performance standpoint how can you not like a C with a career - .322/.403/.466 - 134 OPS+ line who has never had an OPS+ below 102 and has only twice had an OPS+ below 118.

If the Yanks did snag him I'd be thrilled for this year but worried about the next 6 years as he's only played about a half his games at C this need playing 1B & DH an awful lot.

All in all I'd pass do the size and lenght of the contract but there is no doubt he is one of the games great catchers of all time and right now. Even if thebo is convinced he was roiding when he put un his particulalry mostorous season. He probably was but even w/o the most season he's be awesome.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Can't they get him just until A-Rod and Tex get back?
    Then, ya know, give him back?
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees61 View Post
    Mauer would be a perfect fit on this team. The Yankees net $500 million/year - this artificial $189 cap is going to quickly turn this team into the 1965 Yankees. Martin, Jones, Pearce, Ibanez? No, not one will be solely responsible, but these people now make up the bulk of the team. Granderson has been a hugh disappointment - certainly not worth the players given up. Why would he be a priority to re-sign? He is Carlos Pena - one dimensional and even more so as he ages. Tex and Arod are two hugh albatrosses with contracts 4x their worth. The middle relief, once a strong point, is being eroded. This is the oldest team in MLB. The injuries are to be expected. A good GM would have built a more balanced team instead of one made up from cast-off band-aids. If this is the team the management want, then they would be better off selling to someone commited to putting a championship calibre team back on the field.
    And the solution for what you are talking about is hardly to take on another bad contract.

I agree with False - -guys like this are put on waivers all the time to see if someone is going to overwhelm them with an offer. I can't imagine a scenario where the Twins are going to take nothing back and pay a big chunk of the contract. If they were serious about that, they would have tried to trade him before the non-waiver deadline.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

So let hime play 1B, DH and catch. Our DHs are hitting what - .210, .230? Mauer's 'bad' year was .287. Martin is .100 points below that. And we have no catcher in the pipeline - and please don't talk to me about guys in A ball - that is light-years away. When was the last championship this team won with a catcher hitting under .200?

The Twins need to rebuild - they just may want to unload the contract. And as far as I can see - no one in the farm is untouchable.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

So let hime play 1B, DH and catch. Our DHs are hitting what - .210, .230? Mauer's 'bad' year was .287. Martin is .100 points below that. And we have no catcher in the pipeline - and please don't talk to me about guys in A ball - that is light-years away. When was the last championship this team won with a catcher hitting under .200?

The Twins need to rebuild - they just may want to unload the contract. And as far as I can see - no one in the farm is untouchable.
    So you commit to 6 years (@ $23 million/year) after this one for a guy with decreasing ability to catch, when you have a 3rd baseman being paid over $20 million for 5 of those years who is going to have to move to DH and a 1B signed for 4 years after this one at $22.5 million per year? And we're going to give up prospects too?

Intriguing solution.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

NYYF Legend

Carlos Ruiz batted .219 in 2008 for the Phillies with a 63 OPS+
    Tim Laudner batted .191 in 1987 for the Twins with a 65 OPS+

I found a bunch of others who won the WS who had starting catchers with AVE between .220 - .250 with OPS+ between 70 - 85 who also won between 1980 - 2011.

C is a poistion you can actual win sometime giving away offense. It's not ideal but it also doesn't mean NYY should try to pick up $138M+ in salary over the next 6+ years for a player who will soon be aging off the C position.
    Baseball is life;

If the Twins are going to rebuild, I think they'd see Mauer as the focus, not as a salary to dump. He also has a full NTC, and he's playing in his home town.

Teams ask waivers on players all the time without any intention of trading them. I'd be shocked if Mauer goes anywhere.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

actually it was "the last time this team won a championship", but point taken. Again, this team nets a half billion a year - they should be building a winner. I see no evidence of that. Because Arod and Tex have bad contracts, the team should become a 3rd place team? This team has eaten bad contracts before - why start austerity now? There is nothing in the farm and it is the oldest team in MLB - not a good combination. We're all Yankee fans here, but who can be happy with this current team?

NYYF Legend

actually it was "the last time this team won a championship", but point taken. Again, this team nets a half billion a year - they should be building a winner. I see no evidence of that. Because Arod and Tex have bad contracts, the team should become a 3rd place team? This team has eaten bad contracts before - why start austerity now? There is nothing in the farm and it is the oldest team in MLB - not a good combination. We're all Yankee fans here, but who can be happy with this current team?
    Considering some of the great hitting catchers the Yankees have had on championship teams, it would be hard to find a .200 regular among that set. I think the worst may have been Johnny Grabowski for the 1928 yankees who put up a .238/.274/.297 line good for a 51 OPS+.

As for austerity I think that has something to do with the new CBA and punitive Lux taxes that are about to kick in.

Yes the team is old, but I would disagree that there is nothing in the minors. From following around the minors a bit and reading up on farm system rankings, they Yanks are actually in a better position in the minors then they have been for some time and rank in the top 3rd in farm systems by most "experts". Not being a minor league expert I'll just have to take here word.

I understand wanting to get better and agree right now, Mauer would make them better. But I personally want no part of that contract for Mauer and think it would make them much worse at the last 4 years of that deal.
    Baseball is life;

Thread Information