+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Results 151 to 175 of 229
  1. #151
    Addicted Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Rhode Island

    Re: Yankees Home Stretch / Magic Number Thread

    Sorry if it has been mentioned, but if the Angels lose tonight [and they are] we clinch a spot no?

    Only way the Yankees dont get in is if they go 0-3 and LAA goes 4-0 and even then we have a better record against them?

  2. #152

    Re: Yankees Home Stretch / Magic Number Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by 24Rickey View Post
    Sorry if it has been mentioned, but if the Angels lose tonight [and they are] we clinch a spot no?

    Only way the Yankees dont get in is if they go 0-3 and LAA goes 4-0 and even then we have a better record against them?
    If Texas wins tonight -- and they're currently up 8-4 in the 6th -- then the Yankees, Orioles, and Rangers will all have clinched a spot, and the A's will have clinched a tie for a spot.

    But still I'm really hoping the Angels find a way to come back and win this one, because it puts the Yankees in better position to take the top seed in the AL.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

  3. #153

    Re: Yankees Home Stretch / Magic Number Thread

    Code:
    Team  Rec    Div  WC  NYY  Remaining Games
    TEX   93-66   +2   C   +4  3  @  OAK
    NYY   92-67   +4   C   --  3 vs. BOS
    BAL   92-67   +4   C    4  3  @  TB
    
    DET   86-73   +1   E    E  3  @  KC
    CHI   83-76    1   E    E  3  @  CLE
    
    OAK   91-68    2  +1    3  3 vs. TEX
    LAA   88-71    E   1    E  3  @  SEA
    TB    88-71    E   1    E  3 vs. BAL
    Notes:
    Texas, New York, and Baltimore have all clinched at least a wild card spot.
    Oakland has clinched at least a tie for the second wild card spot.
    Detroit has clinched a tie for the Central.
    The Central champion is locked into the #3 seed.

    Monday's Matchups:
    BOS (Buchholz) @ NYY (Sabathia)
    BAL (Chen) @ TB (Cobb)
    DET (Porcello) @ KC (Chen)
    CHI (Santiago) @ CLE (Kluber)
    TEX (Perez) @ OAK (Parker)
    LAA (Wilson) @ SEA (Hernandez)
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

  4. #154

    Re: Yankees Home Stretch / Magic Number Thread

    We have clinched. Feels good, will feel better when we take the division .

  5. #155
    Movin' on Bub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Clifton Park, New York

    Re: Yankees Home Stretch / Magic Number Thread

    If Tampa can win tonight and we beat Boston, we win either way in the Oakland/Texas game. If Texas wins Tampa survives to play another day, and if Oakland wins we'll tie Texas for the best record with 2 left.
    Let the kids play.

  6. #156
    why me Lord? NoWay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Ellicott City, MD

    Re: Yankees Home Stretch / Magic Number Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    If Tampa can win tonight and we beat Boston, we win either way in the Oakland/Texas game. If Texas wins Tampa survives to play another day, and if Oakland wins we'll tie Texas for the best record with 2 left.
    Tampa is eliminated.

  7. #157

    Re: Yankees Home Stretch / Magic Number Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NoWay View Post
    Tampa is eliminated.
    You're just full of misinformation.

    Tampa Bay is still clinging to life. If they sweep Baltimore and Texas sweeps Oakland, they will be tied for the second wild card spot.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

  8. #158
    NYYF Legend

    JfromJersey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Old Bridge, NJ

    Re: Yankees Home Stretch / Magic Number Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    You're just full of misinformation.

    Tampa Bay is still clinging to life. If they sweep Baltimore and Texas sweeps Oakland, they will be tied for the second wild card spot.
    ..which is why, despite the best record implications, I want Texas to beat the As, so TB has every incentive to keep trying to beat the Os.
    [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]We do not see things as they are. We see them as we are.

    It is never too late to be what you might have been.
    [/FONT]

  9. #159
    NYYF Legend

    ymike673's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn,NY

    Re: Yankees Home Stretch / Magic Number Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by JfromJersey View Post
    ..which is why, despite the best record implications, I want Texas to beat the As, so TB has every incentive to keep trying to beat the Os.
    Another reason to want Texas to win. Yankees need to be at least one game ahead of the A's when the season ends. If Yankees and Baltimore end up tied and the Yankees lose the playoff game they would have to fly to Oakland for the WC game the next night if they were behind the A's.

  10. #160

    Re: Yankees Home Stretch / Magic Number Thread

    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

  11. #161

    Re: Yankees Home Stretch / Magic Number Thread



    Code:
    Team  Rec    Div  WC  NYY  Remaining Games
    TEX   93-66   +2   C   +3  3  @  OAK *
    NYY   93-67   +2   C   --  2 vs. BOS
    
    DET   87-73  Central Division Champ / #3 Seed
    
    BAL   92-68    2   C    2  2  @  TB
    OAK   91-68    2  +1    2  3 vs. TEX *
    TB    89-71    E   1    E  2 vs. BAL
    LAA   88-71    E   1    E  3  @  SEA *
    
    * Not including Monday night's games
    Last edited by sweet_lou_14; 10-01-12 at 11:14 PM.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

  12. #162
    NYYF Legend

    -tz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    NYC

    Re: Yankees Home Stretch / Magic Number Thread

    Let's have one where his number is showing ...


  13. #163
    Movin' on Bub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Clifton Park, New York

    Re: Yankees Home Stretch / Magic Number Thread

    I hope Lou has a nice picture of Murcer when the number is reduced to one.
    Let the kids play.

  14. #164

    Re: Yankees Home Stretch / Magic Number Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    I hope Lou has a nice picture of Murcer when the number is reduced to one.
    Murcer or Billy
    "Owning the Yankees is like owning the Mona Lisa." -- George M. Steinbrenner III

  15. #165

    Re: Yankees Home Stretch / Magic Number Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    I hope Lou has a nice picture of Murcer when the number is reduced to one.
    Murcer also wore number 2 from '79-'83 when he came back.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

  16. #166
    NYYF Legend

    ymike673's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn,NY

    Re: Yankees Home Stretch / Magic Number Thread

    I'd like to see the number go from 2 to 0 tonight.

  17. #167

    Re: Yankees Home Stretch / Magic Number Thread

    The five AL playoff teams are now known. The only question is seeding. The Tigers are locked into the 3 seed, but the other four seeds are all up for grabs.

    Code:
    Team  Rec    Div  WC  NYY  Remaining Games
    NYY   93-67   +2   C   --  2 vs. BOS
    TEX   93-67   +2   C    2  2  @  OAK
    DET   87-73  Central Division Champ / #3 Seed
    
    OAK   92-68    2   C    2  2 vs. TEX
    BAL   92-68    2   C    2  2  @  TB
    The Yankees have the tiebreaker over Texas (hence the magic number of only 2 to clinch the top seed); Oakland has the tiebreaker over Baltimore.

    Meanwhile, over in the National League:

    Code:
    Team  Rec    Div  WC  Remaining Games
    WAS   96-64  Eastern Division Champ
    CIN   96-64  Central Division Champ
    SF    93-67  Western Division Champ / #3 Seed
    
    ATL   93-67  First Wild Card / #4 seed
    STL   87-73    E  +1  2 vs. CIN
    LAD   85-75    E   1  2 vs. SF
    Washington has the tiebreaker over Cincinnati, so their magic number to clinch the top seed is 2.
    Last edited by sweet_lou_14; 10-02-12 at 08:35 AM.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

  18. #168
    NYYF Cy Young

    Messerwhitescooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    the 'burbs

    Re: Yankees Home Stretch / Magic Number Thread

    Thank you for posting this information.
    All the fat guys watch me & say to their wives, 'See, there's a fat guy doing okay. Bring me another beer. Mickey Lolich

  19. #169

    Re: Yankees Home Stretch / Magic Number Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Battingly View Post
    Murcer or Billy
    I'd go with Snuffy Stirnweiss myself. You can't say a great name like that enough.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

  20. #170

    Re: Yankees Home Stretch / Magic Number Thread

    Tuesday's Matchups:
    BOS (Lester) @ NYY (Phelps)
    BAL (Gonzalez) @ TB (Shields)
    TEX (Harrison) @ OAK (Blackley)
    PHI (Rosenberg) @ WAS (Gonzalez)
    CIN (Latos) @ STL (Carpenter)
    SF (Zito) @ LAD (Capuano)
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

  21. #171
    NYYF Legend

    35Knucklecurve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Maryland branches, Pennsylvania roots

    Re: Yankees Home Stretch / Magic Number Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    Tuesday's Matchups:
    BOS (Lester) @ NYY (Phelps)
    BAL (Gonzalez) @ TB(Shields)
    TEX (Harrison) @ OAK (Blackley)
    PHI (Rosenberg) @ WAS (Gonzalez)
    CIN (Latos) @ STL (Carpenter)
    SF (Zito) @ LAD (Capuano)
    C'mon Jamie - wrap up win # sweet 16.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

  22. #172

    Re: Yankees Home Stretch / Magic Number Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by JfromJersey View Post
    ..which is why, despite the best record implications, I want Texas to beat the As, so TB has every incentive to keep trying to beat the Os.
    Best record is the way we avoid Verlander in a short series that starts in Detroit, and have the benefit of playing the winner of a play in game.

    I can't see how anything trumps that, especially with the possibility of Texas playing a play in game.

    I also don't expect Shields to pitch underhand today, either.
    Team Northern Lights

  23. #173
    NYYF Legend

    ymike673's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn,NY

    Re: Yankees Home Stretch / Magic Number Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    The five AL playoff teams are now known. The only question is seeding. The Tigers are locked into the 3 seed, but the other four seeds are all up for grabs.

    Code:
    Team  Rec    Div  WC  NYY  Remaining Games
    NYY   93-67   +2   C   --  2 vs. BOS
    TEX   93-67   +2   C    2  2  @  OAK
    DET   87-73  Central Division Champ / #3 Seed
     
    OAK   92-68    2   C    2  2 vs. TEX
    BAL   92-68    2   C    2  2  @  TB
    The Yankees have the tiebreaker over Texas (hence the magic number of only 2 to clinch the top seed); Oakland has the tiebreaker over Baltimore.

    Meanwhile, over in the National League:

    Code:
    Team  Rec    Div  WC  Remaining Games
    WAS   96-64  Eastern Division Champ
    CIN   96-64  Central Division Champ
    SF    93-67  Western Division Champ / #3 Seed
     
    ATL   93-67  First Wild Card / #4 seed
    STL   87-73    E  +1  2 vs. CIN
    LAD   85-75    E   1  2 vs. SF
    Washington has the tiebreaker over Cincinnati, so their magic number to clinch the top seed is 2.
    If the Yankees and A's finish tied as the WCs which team has the tie breaker for HFA?

  24. #174
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: Yankees Home Stretch / Magic Number Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    If the Yankees and A's finish tied as the WCs which team has the tie breaker for HFA?
    Oakland holds all HFA tie breakers.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

  25. #175

    Re: Yankees Home Stretch / Magic Number Thread

    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts