+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Yankees Home Stretch / Magic Number Thread

It's time.

Yankees Magic Numbers:
    31 (to clinch AL East)
    31 (to clinch playoff spot)

Remaining Schedules:
    Yankees (16 Home, 17 Away): 1 vs. TOR, 3 vs. BAL, 3 @ TB, 4 @ BAL, 3 @ BOS, 3 vs. TB, 3 vs. TOR, 3 vs. OAK, 3 @ MIN, 4 @ TOR, 3 vs. BOS

O's (16 Home, 18 Away, 3.5 GB): 2 vs. CHW, 3 @ NYY, 3 @ TOR, 4 vs. NYY, 3 vs. TB, 3 @ OAK, 3 @ SEA, 3 @ BOS, 4 vs. TOR, 3 vs. BOS, 3 @ TB

Rays (16 Home, 17 Away, 5 GB): 1 @ TEX, 4 @ TOR, 3 vs. NYY, 3 vs. TEX, 3 @ BAL, 3 @ NYY, 4 vs. BOS, 3 vs. TOR, 2 @ BOS, 4 @ CHW, 3 vs. BAL

Race for best record in the AL:
    Rangers 77-52
    Yankees 75-54 (2 GB)
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

NYYF Legend

Re: Yankees Home Stretch / Magic Number Thread

Good thing Bautista is out for the year and Lawrie is hurt. We need to beat TOR when we play them.

We have some HUGE games against the 3 contenders for the two wild cards. Half our games (16) are vs those teams (OAK, TB, BAL).

Is there any way to delete this thread right now?
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

Terrible game for the Yankees today, but even so the magic number (for the division as well as the wild card) is down to 30.

NYYF Legend

This magic number thread is making me queasy. I'm going to the game tomorrow and I can't believe I'm sweating over an end of August/beginning of Sept series against the Orioles for Christ's Sake!
    [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]We do not see things as they are. We see them as we are.

It is never too late to be what you might have been.
    [/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by JfromJersey View Post
    This magic number thread is making me queasy. I'm going to the game tomorrow and I can't believe I'm sweating over an end of August/beginning of Sept series against the Orioles for Christ's Sake!
    Just think.... If the Yankees can pull off a win tomorrow, the magic number will be reduced to 28!
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

I really hate this thread right now.

NYYF Triple Crown

Jimmy G. (Seniority 03/28/1994)
    1994-2008: Main Res MVP Sec. 14, Row G
    2009: Section 330, Row 6
    2010: Section 233A, Row 20
    2011: Section 229, Row 16 *All Sunday Plans*
    2012: No longer STH, liberated!

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    It's time.
    This has so many connotations right now... Time for what?
    "Stay thirsty, my friends"

Quote Originally Posted by HondaCop View Post
    This has so many connotations right now... Time for what?
    Time to start watching the team and the scoreboard more closely, and hopefully counting down to the playoffs.

In past years we used to have some really fun threads to discuss stretches in the schedule -- not only toward the end, but throughout the season. We also used to have threads that attempted to predict the number of wins still needed to clinch the division, and these usually started well before magic numbers came into play.

I miss those threads and I thought it was time to kick off a thread we could use to track the 2012 home stretch and enjoy the march to the playoffs. We do still believe this team is going to the playoffs, right? Even if they make us all rip our hair out in the process?

Time to start watching the team and the scoreboard more closely, and hopefully counting down to the playoffs.

In past years we used to have some really fun threads to discuss stretches in the schedule -- not only toward the end, but throughout the season. We also used to have threads that attempted to predict the number of wins still needed to clinch the division, and these usually started well before magic numbers came into play.

I miss those threads and I thought it was time to kick off a thread we could use to track the 2012 home stretch and enjoy the march to the playoffs. We do still believe this team is going to the playoffs, right? Even if they make us all rip our hair out in the process?
    Good call Lou. I like this thread!
    Pardon, for us.

NYYF Legend

Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Cheer up, Joe. There isn't anything to worry about.

Magic number is still at 28, for both the division and the wild card. By the way, the A's now have a better record than the Yankees (losing today would put them at the same record).

NYYF Legend

If this keeps up this magic number to clinch thread will morph into an elimination magic number thread.
    [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]We do not see things as they are. We see them as we are.

It is never too late to be what you might have been.
    [/FONT]

Not rooting for it to happen, but the silver lining to a Yanks collapse would be the firing of Cashman and Girardi.
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd

Time to panic yet?
    Mariano Rivera was so great he was able to close a Denny's.

NYYF HOF

Quote Originally Posted by Blazer View Post
    Not rooting for it to happen, but the silver lining to a Yanks collapse would be the firing of Cashman and Girardi.

That's crazy talk, who would you hire to replace them? Both Girardi and Cashman make mistakes, but that's a slight reach for a GM who has been in place for 4 World Series; whose drafts have been consistently producing good to decent level players, even if they end up not playing for the Yankees.

Girardi has gone from being Manager of the Year to on the hot seat in this short of time. You don't fire a manager who has shown can bring home bacon because of a bad season. Do you want NYY to turn into the circus that Boston has become? That has a very good chance of happening with the number of veterans on this team. Is it Girardi's fault that ARod is a slug and deteriorating, Teix has decided he forgot how to hit to all fields?

Both of these guys know baseball, they're not the greatest, but they're most likely still the best suited for the Yankees.

/rant
    NYYFans FBBL: Babe's Blasts

RIP Pete Cheng; the commish will be missed.

Hijack alert!

Baseball Prospectus still has the Yankees sitting at 76.9% to hold onto the division, and 92.6% to make the playoffs one way or another.
    http://www.baseballprospectus.com/odds/

Quote Originally Posted by ruthianblast View Post
    That's crazy talk, who would you hire to replace them? Both Girardi and Cashman make mistakes, but that's a slight reach for a GM who has been in place for 4 World Series; whose drafts have been consistently producing good to decent level players, even if they end up not playing for the Yankees.

Girardi has gone from being Manager of the Year to on the hot seat in this short of time. You don't fire a manager who has shown can bring home bacon because of a bad season. Do you want NYY to turn into the circus that Boston has become? That has a very good chance of happening with the number of veterans on this team. Is it Girardi's fault that ARod is a slug and deteriorating, Teix has decided he forgot how to hit to all fields?

Both of these guys know baseball, they're not the greatest, but they're most likely still the best suited for the Yankees.

/rant
    Cashman took over in 2005. Since then he hasn't produced a SP higher than a low end starter. Sure, there have been a couple position players he produced, yet he traded them both away.

As for Girardi, AKA Mr. sacrifice bunt, I've never seen a manager surrender so many games.
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd

NYYF Legend

I know fans from 28 ball teams whom give up their left nut to be where we are..........just saying

"Happy Wife.........Happy Life" - unknown

I, too, enjoy lying on the internet.

NYYF HOF

Cashman took over in 2005. Since then he hasn't produced a SP higher than a low end starter. Sure, there have been a couple position players he produced, yet he traded them both away.

As for Girardi, AKA Mr. sacrifice bunt, I've never seen a manager surrender so many games.
    Ok fine; pick a bloody replacement then. Seriously; look at what the Red Sox just did, removed a acknowledged and respected baseball guy and replaced him with what they thought would be a good manager; essentially ran out a GM and will now basically rebuild their team.

I happen to think Cashman is a good GM; made better by being able to manage a team like the Yankees. How many teams, even with a high payroll are able to win as consistently as New York. Look at the Phillies/Boston and their payroll or the Dodgers a few years back with their payroll.

Get a grip on your expectations.

Um, Brian Cashman took over in 1998 replacing Bob Watson.
    "Losing is not my enemy, fear of losing is my enemy." - Tennis champion Rafael Nadal

Hijack alert!

Baseball Prospectus still has the Yankees sitting at 76.9% to hold onto the division, and 92.6% to make the playoffs one way or another.
    http://www.baseballprospectus.com/odds/
    those numbers were looking rosy for red sox all the way thru the collapse last year too

people are too optimistic and slow to update their priors and so are these models with long back history. does not reflect what's happening at the moment

NYYF HOF

Quote Originally Posted by BroadwayBomber55 View Post
    Um, Brian Cashman took over in 1998 replacing Bob Watson.
    We cannot let facts gt in the way of arguing a completely un-reasoned, reactionary and quite frankly no good opinion. That's what the internet is for. As Mr. Coffee has pointed out, this is where Yankee fans come to complain about how their team is winning, or in this case have won.

Thread Information