+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    NYYF MVP

The LA Dodgers have become the New York Yankees-West

This blockbuster deal between the Dodgers and Red Sox is a tsunami unlike anything MLB has seen in years.

As a columnist in the LA TIMES suggests
    The Dodgers are on the verge of paying about $140 million for three players — just to secure the chance to pay about $120 million more for the one player they really want. Ladies and gentlemen, your New York Yankees of Los Angeles.
    Dodgers become a team the NL can love to hate
    A franchise changes its (pin) stripes — the Dodgers are now Yankees West, and that won't sit well with the opposition.

Adrián González is most likely a first ballot Hall of Famer but it speaks volumes that LAD is willing to take Josh Beckett and Carl Crawford to get him.

From the Yankees standpoint this trade means little short term but it does allow Boston to reload.

This deal if it comes down changes baseball as we know it.

I see fields of green, Veeck's pinwheel lights
    Cubs lose by day, Sox win at night
    And I think to myself, what a wonderful world

Re: The LA Dodgers have become the New York Yankees-West

It's a major gamble by the Dodgers, but if it works out then this trade might become the one that puts them over the top during the next 3 years or so.
    Fire Cashman, but Hal Steinbrenner is the root of Yankee woes.

Hate to break it to everyone, but the Yankees would never make that deal.

Anyone who compares this stupid deal to the Yankees apparently doesn't know much.
    Team Northern Lights

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    It's a major gamble by the Dodgers, but if it works out then this trade might become the one that puts them over the top during the next 3 years or so.

Yeah, over the top and heading straight down,.

How does taking on two bloated contract and getting two lousy players make a team better for three years?
    Team Northern Lights

Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    Yeah, over the top and heading straight down,.

How does taking on two bloated contract and getting two lousy players make a team better for three years?
    Because I think those players still have some good baseball left in them. You don't which is fine, but I don't agree.

The OP is trending in a certain direction.
    Whatever you think...
    Well, you're wrong.

NYYF HOF

This is as if the Yankees were to trade Tex, ARod and CC (just to shed the huge, long term deals) for a bag of balls and a PTBNL.
    Beware the Bobcat!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    Because I think those players still have some good baseball left in them. You don't which is fine, but I don't agree.
    It could very well be the case. I just haven't seen anything that indicates turnaround. Beckett's fastball will not gain 5 mph.
    Team Northern Lights

It could very well be the case. I just haven't seen anything that indicates turnaround. Beckett's fastball will not gain 5 mph.
    You didn't see Crawford play better this season than he did last year? I did! As to Beckett, it's interesting to see how he clear the physical and he doesn't need 5 mph on his fastball to be effective in the NL West.

The gerbil lives Zimmers' Helmet's Avatar

Beckett is only a two year commitment.

A-Gon will thrive in LA, and once healthy, I'm sure Crawford will return to his TB levels of production in the NL West.

The only question is how all this extra payroll they've absorbed will impact their ability to re-sign Kershaw to a long term deal.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar
    Formerly Brooklyn & Joisey; now just right behind you ... BOO!!!

How much money will LAD be paying each of these players?

Also, I read somewhere that Beantown will shed $250M in salary. Isn't it true that when calculating a team's payroll (plus luxury tax, etc), that money sent to other teams in a trade is included in that over the life of the contract?

As to the thread starter, this seems like something George would do in the '80s or so in taking on bloated contracts in exchange for our young guns.
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

Kemp and Agon will destroy the NL. The NL West, as does most of the NL, and LA is a huge world series favorite now, and will be for the next few years while they have Kershaw under cost control.

Upside is huge for Beckett because 1) he's going to the NL and 2) I think everyone knows he's the kind of player to give his team the finger and not give any effort if he's mad at them. Plus, I think he'd work extra hard to stick it to Boston.

Crawford deal sucks, but there is upside. I think it's reasonable to expect him to be a $10-12M player for a about $17M/yr for 5 years, which isn't the end of the world (after the $12M Boston kicks in). Bummer, but it's hardly anything like having a $10M player for $30M for the next five years. And that's being generous. I don't see Arod being a $10M player at age 40, 41 and 42, or even a $10M player next year if he's spending 1/3 of the season on the bench due to age and/or injury.

For the Red Sox, it's nothing but upside. Save money, get rid of clubhouse cancers, etc. For the past two and now 3 seasons, they'll have decent picks since they haven't made the playoffs. Now they'll have money to burn. They weren't going to be competitive before Agon was out, and neither Beckett nor Crawford were going to help them be competitive.

Cashman has his work cut out for him. In two years, the Sox will have cost controlled players and money. We have a lot of holes to fill/free agency (Cano, Granderson, rotation in shambles, Swisher, Jeter, CC will be 33 or so, Drob, etc) and budget crunches.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

...and by 2015, Boston will have run its streak of no October baseball to five consecutive years.

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Yankee View Post
    How much money will LAD be paying each of these players?

Also, I read somewhere that Beantown will shed $250M in salary. Isn't it true that when calculating a team's payroll (plus luxury tax, etc), that money sent to other teams in a trade is included in that over the life of the contract?

As to the thread starter, this seems like something George would do in the '80s or so in taking on bloated contracts in exchange for our young guns.
    Exactly.

Here is the real story on this deal. The Dodgers have not yet renewed their TV contract after next year as Selig refused McCourt's trying to sign with FOX.

In LA you have the new Time-Warner channel which paid a huge amount for the Lakers contract and will bid heavily for the Dodgers. If the Dodgers do well in the post-season they will get a contract that will be much bigger than the Rangers and Angels deal. FOX will be desperate to keep them and T-W will be desperate to get them.

That TV deal will generate more income than the Yankees get from YES.

This deal is petty cash who new owners that just paid $2 billion for the team.

Arte Moreno in Anaheim must be in complete shock today. Adrian Gonzalez will totally win over the Mexican market in LA.

NYYF Triple Crown

Yeah, they are suggesting the Dodgers agreement for a TV deal could be in the range of $4Billion

I also think Crawford has a little bit left in him. Not playing in Boston, not playing injured, and in the NL West should help him a lot. His contract is bad, but no where near as bad as some are making it out to be

AGon is going to be great back in the NL West, back in his home of SoCal, and his heritage is going to be eaten up by the fan base

Damn, the Dodgers are going to have a heckuva lineup the next two years: Kemp Gonzalez Ramirez Ethier Crawford Ellis etc.

Next year the Yankees should now fall to 2nd in payroll. Prior to this trade the Dodgers already had 135M on the books and now they're adding about 60M (pending how the 12M from the Sox is distributed). That puts them somewhere around 190 before arbitration and free agency.

NYYF Legend

Hate to break it to everyone, but the Yankees would never make that deal.

Anyone who compares this stupid deal to the Yankees apparently doesn't know much.
    The Yankees would never do anything as stupid as sign a third baseman in his mid-thirties to a ten-year, $275 million deal. Nah.

R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar
    Formerly Brooklyn & Joisey; now just right behind you ... BOO!!!

Quote Originally Posted by chisox View Post
    Exactly.

Here is the real story on this deal. The Dodgers have not yet renewed their TV contract after next year as Selig refused McCourt's trying to sign with FOX.

In LA you have the new Time-Warner channel which paid a huge amount for the Lakers contract and will bid heavily for the Dodgers. If the Dodgers do well in the post-season they will get a contract that will be much bigger than the Rangers and Angels deal. FOX will be desperate to keep them and T-W will be desperate to get them.

That TV deal will generate more income than the Yankees get from YES.

This deal is petty cash who new owners that just paid $2 billion for the team.

Arte Moreno in Anaheim must be in complete shock today. Adrian Gonzalez will totally win over the Mexican market in LA.
    I'm not familiar with the TV deal. Why did Selig refuse the Fox re-signing? What's the chance that T-W is allowed to sign this with LAD?

How much did the new LA TWC pay for the Lakers (dollars & number of yrs)?
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

NYYF Legend

this basically means the Dodgers wont be adding players in the offseason, I mean who else can you add?
    The real reason why the Yankees keep winning is cause the other team can't stop staring at the damn pinstripes

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmers' Helmet View Post

A-Gon will thrive in LA, and once healthy, I'm sure Crawford will return to his TB levels of production in the NL West.

The only question is how all this extra payroll they've absorbed will impact their ability to re-sign Kershaw to a long term deal.
    Kershaw got 8 yrs 160 mil before the new ownership came in.

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    The Yankees would never do anything as stupid as sign a third baseman in his mid-thirties to a ten-year, $275 million deal. Nah.
    The Yankees, almost to a fault, will not make panic moves at the trade deadline.
    Let alone one that could have 6 years of baggage.

The reference is to the way the Yankees used to operate. The occasional one-off will always happen.
    Team Northern Lights

Gotta love how the Dodgers became the dumping ground for all the unwanted Red Sox players with big contracts.
    Mariano Rivera was so great he was able to close a Denny's.

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmers' Helmet View Post

Happy to see I'm not the only Yankee fan that thinks this trade could be a good one for the Dodgers. Based on what I heard today, the Dodgers aren't worry about the luxury tax because they haven't been over it like the Yankees. Also, they do have some expiring contracts leaving over the next two years.

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Yankee View Post
    I'm not familiar with the TV deal. Why did Selig refuse the Fox re-signing? What's the chance that T-W is allowed to sign this with LAD?

How much did the new LA TWC pay for the Lakers (dollars & number of yrs)?
    Time Warner Cable gained local right to the Lakers in February 2011 in a 20-year deal worth a reported $3 billion.

Selig killed the renewal deal that McCourt had set up with FOX as he feared McCourt would use the money for personal reasons and the Dodgers would not see the revenue.

Turned out Selig did McCourt a favor. Frank settled with his ex-wife for short money and most likely cleared a billion when the dust cleared after the sale.

What is interesting is there are industry rumors that Time-Warner may buy out Goldman Sachs interest in YES in their never ending battle against the Dolan's. Time-Warner owns a piece of SNY along with Comcast - (New York Mets (65%) Time Warner Cable (27%) NBC Universal/Comcast (8%)

There is also speculation that Comcast/NBC may buy the Red Sox and NESN.

In Chicago Comcast/NBC is the only game in town as they have the Sox,Cubs,Hawks and Bulls locked up with overflow on WGN or WCIU.

If the Padres just sold for $800M in a market that ranked #28 by Neilsen - how much are the top market teams worth?

Quote Originally Posted by cupcollector99 View Post
    This is as if the Yankees were to trade Tex, ARod and CC (just to shed the huge, long term deals) for a bag of balls and a PTBNL.
    de la rosa and webster were/are top 100 prospects. The big difference, though, is the state of the teams. If the yankees were 14 games out and looked like a .500 team for the next couple years as the sox did, I would be ecstatic if they made this trade.

Thread Information