+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6
Results 126 to 149 of 149
  1. #126

    Re: We picked up Lowe

    Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    You had really excellent results the last time you used this picture.
    Refresh my memory.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

  2. #127

    Re: We picked up Lowe

    Quote Originally Posted by RenoHightower View Post
    I'm just spitballing here, but maybe because he's no longer a good pitcher?
    thank you

    he had a good game, I'm not taking that away from him

    he just makes me nervous that he will gain our trust and then self destruct in a big game like in the playoffs

    I hope I'm wrong
    RIP MR. STEINBRENNER

  3. #128
    Hello dum-dum... effdamets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Now in Section 312

    Re: We picked up Lowe

    Quote Originally Posted by Young Steinbrenner View Post
    thank you

    he had a good game, I'm not taking that away from him

    he just makes me nervous that he will gain our trust and then self destruct in a big game like in the playoffs

    I hope I'm wrong
    This could be true with any of the pitchers on the staff.
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

  4. #129

    Re: We picked up Lowe

    Quote Originally Posted by effdamets View Post
    This could be true with any of the pitchers on the staff.
    But it's more likely that Lowe performs poorly in the postseason, as he's performed poorly in all circumstances in recent years. Any major league pitcher could have a great game or a terrible game, but that doesn't mean that you shouldn't try to avoid using lousy pitchers like Derek Lowe in high-leverage situations like the postseason.

  5. #130
    Hello dum-dum... effdamets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Now in Section 312

    Re: We picked up Lowe

    Quote Originally Posted by RenoHightower View Post
    But it's more likely that Lowe performs poorly in the postseason, as he's performed poorly in all circumstances in recent years. Any major league pitcher could have a great game or a terrible game, but that doesn't mean that you shouldn't try to avoid using lousy pitchers like Derek Lowe in high-leverage situations like the postseason.
    Point taken. But if the guy has done well for the Yankees (if he even makes the post-season roster), I'd be very confident in him in the post season simply because he's been there.
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

  6. #131

    Re: We picked up Lowe

    Quote Originally Posted by effdamets View Post
    Point taken. But if the guy has done well for the Yankees (if he even makes the post-season roster), I'd be very confident in him in the post season simply because he's been there.
    So has Whitey Ford. I won't have confidence in Lowe's ability to pitch in the 2012 postseason because he's not a good pitcher anymore. If he has a good six weeks, that's not going to change the fact that he's proven, over the last few years, that he's no longer capable of preventing runs at even a league-average rate.

  7. #132
    Hello dum-dum... effdamets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Now in Section 312

    Re: We picked up Lowe

    Quote Originally Posted by RenoHightower View Post
    So has Whitey Ford. I won't have confidence in Lowe's ability to pitch in the 2012 postseason because he's not a good pitcher anymore. If he has a good six weeks, that's not going to change the fact that he's proven, over the last few years, that he's no longer capable of preventing runs at even a league-average rate.
    Whatever.
    I'll take experience like Derek Lowe's in the post season over inexperience, given a choice.
    Everyone is different.
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

  8. #133

    Re: We picked up Lowe

    Quote Originally Posted by effdamets View Post
    Whatever.
    I'll take experience like Derek Lowe's in the post season over inexperience, given a choice.
    Everyone is different.
    You'd rather take a bad pitcher with playoff experience than a good one without it?

  9. #134
    Hello dum-dum... effdamets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Now in Section 312

    Re: We picked up Lowe

    Quote Originally Posted by RenoHightower View Post
    You'd rather take a bad pitcher with playoff experience than a good one without it?
    No - that's not what I said.
    If there is a pitcher like Lowe, pitching well going into the playoffs, I'll take him over a pitcher without playoff experience that is pitching just as well.
    Derek Lowe has an enormous amount of playoff exposure and that's a factor I wouldn't have to calulate as a problem for him whereby the pitcher without playoff experience will likely have anxiety problems his first go around in October.
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

  10. #135
    Lets go Yankees BxBomber44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    LA

    Re: We picked up Lowe

    Pitch like that & I could care less Mr. Lowe


  11. #136

    Re: We picked up Lowe

    Quote Originally Posted by effdamets View Post
    No - that's not what I said.
    If there is a pitcher like Lowe, pitching well going into the playoffs, I'll take him over a pitcher without playoff experience that is pitching just as well.
    Derek Lowe has an enormous amount of playoff exposure and that's a factor I wouldn't have to calulate as a problem for him whereby the pitcher without playoff experience will likely have anxiety problems his first go around in October.
    Except that he's not a good pitcher anymore. This is something we can already say without question. I'd rather have a better pitcher, of which there are many. If Derek Lowe pitches for the Yankees in the playoffs, it will be because something has gone wrong, or someone is doing something stupid.

    Also, there's no evidence to support your assertion that "a pitcher without playoff exposure will likely have anxiety problems his first go around in October."

  12. #137

    Re: We picked up Lowe

    Quote Originally Posted by RenoHightower View Post
    Except that he's not a good pitcher anymore. This is something we can already say without question. I'd rather have a better pitcher, of which there are many. If Derek Lowe pitches for the Yankees in the playoffs, it will be because something has gone wrong, or someone is doing something stupid.

    Also, there's no evidence to support your assertion that "a pitcher without playoff exposure will likely have anxiety problems his first go around in October."
    But I've seen it! I've seen what the bright lights can do!

    Just kidding, I agree with your points.

    Also, I love how the thread title comes off so depressing. "Well, I got an STD."

  13. #138

    Re: We picked up Lowe

    picked up love you say?

    oh
    always reasonable

  14. #139
    time of my life ... ajra21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    a long way from yankee stadium.

    Re: We picked up Lowe

    WTF was Cash thinking? Should have traded for Dempster instead.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

  15. #140
    Hello dum-dum... effdamets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Now in Section 312

    Re: We picked up Lowe

    Quote Originally Posted by ajra21 View Post
    WTF was Cash thinking? Should have traded for Dempster instead.
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

  16. #141
    NYYF Cy Young

    Messerwhitescooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    the 'burbs

    Re: We picked up Lowe

    Quote Originally Posted by ajra21 View Post
    WTF was Cash thinking? Should have traded for Dempster instead.
    That would really be the bottom of the barrel.
    All the fat guys watch me & say to their wives, 'See, there's a fat guy doing okay. Bring me another beer. Mickey Lolich

  17. #142

    Re: We picked up Lowe

    Quote Originally Posted by ajra21 View Post
    WTF was Cash thinking? Should have traded for Dempster instead.
    We'll see is Lowe can keep this up (not counting on it)... but trading for Dempster would have been dumb. Can't understand why anyone would have wanted that.

  18. #143

    Re: We picked up Lowe

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Man_With_No_Plan View Post
    We'll see is Lowe can keep this up (not counting on it)... but trading for Dempster would have been dumb. Can't understand why anyone would have wanted that.
    I think your sarcasm detector is broken.
    Team Northern Lights

  19. #144
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Fort Myers

    Re: We picked up Lowe

    Quote Originally Posted by Messerwhitescooter View Post
    That would really be the bottom of the barrel.
    Or Dumpster.

  20. #145
    Addicted Member
    oneill96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Portlandia, USA.

    Re: We picked up Lowe

    His recent record has been crap but he still may have some use. Says he
    been looking at video of his pitching to find out what's wrong. Derek Low's
    an experience pitcher worth taking risk on.

  21. #146

    Re: We picked up Lowe

    Quote Originally Posted by oneill96 View Post
    Says he
    been looking at video of his pitching to find out what's wrong.
    What if he looks at the video and realizes he's old?
    Don't tease me, you know what I do for a living.

  22. #147
    NYYF Legend

    montrealer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Saint Anicet,Quebec

    Re: We picked up Lowe

    Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    What if he looks at the video and realizes he's old?
    And fat........

    "Happy Wife.........Happy Life" - unknown

  23. #148
    NYYF Legend

    Dave Visbeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Miss my Ryan, Kristin and Steve. Miss seeing my dad.

    Re: We picked up Lowe

    Gotta love Lowe. Good for him.
    Just a Sox Fan with a Yankee Wife in tow... and with one little Red Sox fan now welcoming her new baby Yankee fan sister into "our" Yankees/Red Sox World.

    Daddy Loves His Baby Angels

  24. #149
    Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Jax

    Re: We picked up Lowe

    Quote Originally Posted by RenoHightower View Post
    Except that he's not a good pitcher anymore.
    Not that Im advocating him to be on the postseason roster, but that statement is true as far as him being a SP. Im interested in seeing how a transition to the bullpen works out for him.
    Fistpumping like a champion.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts