+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: We picked up Lowe

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    I think those who already have Sabathia scheduling time in a hospital for TJS may be overreacting a tad.
    Fair point.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

This is our future. JohnnyDamonfan's Avatar

I am not worried. This seems like the role to take Phelps place right now. Not have Lowe as a starter I'd imagine. The Yankees seem to want Phelps to be the starter so I'd imagine Lowe would be a bullpen guy or Long man.
    Still and will always be a New England Patriots fan.

[quote=THEBOSS84]You may be my favorite poster on the site. So sweet and innocent.[/quote]

Lowe better be released when CC gets back

he is awful, awful.....yuck
    RIP MR. STEINBRENNER

He sucks, he's notorious for being an A1 douchebag, and he played for the Sox. Sorry, no silver lining here.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyDamonfan View Post
    I am not worried. This seems like the role to take Phelps place right now. Not have Lowe as a starter I'd imagine. The Yankees seem to want Phelps to be the starter so I'd imagine Lowe would be a bullpen guy or Long man.
    Part of me thinks they should just leave Phelps in his current role (for this year) rather than jerking him back and forth between starting and relieving since he's been pretty effective out of the bullpen. I don't see what harm it would have done to call up Ramon Ortiz for one start. With that said, yes long term I'd like to see Phelps back as a starter but i think he can help us more this year out of the bullpen.

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    Are you seriously comfortable with the idea of Derek Lowe (8-10, 5.52 ERA, 1.689 WHIP) in your rotation?

You state that this move is about options - what option does Derek Lowe give you that Ramon Ortiz (for example) does not? It's not like we just acquired a #3 starter - Derek Lowe is, at this point, a #9 starter and falling fast.

IMO, this move makes no sense whatsoever - at least Ortiz has shown something this season, albeit at the AAA level. Lowe has shown nothing but an inability to get batters out. His BAA is .321 this season; his OBP is .389; his OPS is .819.

Lowe has NOTHING left in the trunk. If he is on this roster > 2 weeks, we are really hurting.
    Where the hell did you get the idea that I was OK with the signing? I can't stand lowe but guess what, Girardi and Cashman don't consult me before they make moves. Why did the yankees sign garcia a couple years back? Why Chad Qualls? Why Chad Gaudin? Why Bartolo Colon? Because this is Cashman's new business model, get something for nothing and hope for lightning in a bottle. And if you don't like it, you're in for a rough couple of years because it isn't going to stop with Lowe.

If Lowe is a two week signing, I'll eat my hat and post it on youtube.

Quote Originally Posted by Benefactor View Post
    Meh. For all we know you could wear a chocolate hat.
    Team Northern Lights

Where the hell did you get the idea that I was OK with the signing? I can't stand lowe but guess what, Girardi and Cashman don't consult me before they make moves. Why did the yankees sign garcia a couple years back? Why Chad Qualls? Why Chad Gaudin? Why Bartolo Colon? Because this is Cashman's new business model, get something for nothing and hope for lightning in a bottle. And if you don't like it, you're in for a rough couple of years because it isn't going to stop with Lowe.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

NYYF Cy Young

Can we get Wakefield? Because that would probably work out better than Derek Lowe.
    All the fat guys watch me & say to their wives, 'See, there's a fat guy doing okay. Bring me another beer. Mickey Lolich

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Messerwhitescooter View Post
    Can we get Wakefield? Because that would probably work out better than Derek Lowe.
    Good point. Wakefield has tons of "playoff experience".

Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    He sucks, he's notorious for being an A1 douchebag, and he played for the Sox. Sorry, no silver lining here.
    I find it hard not to see it the same way. This is one of those signings that I hope is over very quickly so I can pretend it never happened.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

I think another overreaction is the implication of the signing. He is going to be a long man meaning the score will likely be lopsided when he pitches. And if he starts, then that means another pitcher on top of Andy and CC will be out and in which case, we are in trouble anyway. If he ends up pitching in meaningful situations, then I'll be concerned. And yes he does stink.
    Life is good!

NYYF Legend

Baseball wise, I think it was a smart signing..I'm not worried about him getting an expanded role or taking some starts from Phelps...he's versatile and I don't think there's anything wrong with throwing him in the pen and seeing what happens for a few weeks when he'll probably be DFA'd anyway...I do hate rooting for such a douchebag but I'm going to try to pretend it's not him since I root for the laundry...

Don't call it a comeback False1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by b-ball-lunachick View Post
    Baseball wise, I think it was a smart signing..I'm not worried about him getting an expanded role or taking some starts from Phelps...he's versatile and I don't think there's anything wrong with throwing him in the pen and seeing what happens for a few weeks when he'll probably be DFA'd anyway...I do hate rooting for such a douchebag but I'm going to try to pretend it's not him since I root for the laundry...
    The only potential downside I can see, other than the off-field issue that I'm not a fan of him as a player or a public figure and might actually have to see him throw a baseball, is if Phelps struggles tonight and the organization overreacts to that and gives Lowe a start in his place. Until that happens, this is a complete non-event.

just want this on the record - I Hate Derek Lowe

boooooooooooooooo

that is all
    RIP MR. STEINBRENNER

NYYF Legend

Lowe will be wearing #34. I guess the Yankees don't plan on retiring AJ's number.

NYYF Cy Young

Don't love lowe, don't hate, he's far removed fromt he sox and as long as he can help this team I don't have any issues witht he move. Some sox players I'd prefer not to have, but I can live with this. His GB ration is still decent and will come in handy as a reliever especially against a team like Texas.
    [SIZE=3]"Scooter - RIP and thank you for being part of my childhood"[/SIZE]

I hear he has a heck of a broadcast booth.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Meanwhile, 2 innings vs. Texas... 1 hit, o runs, no walks.

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

solid and effective through first 2
    We toast to the old days and DiMaggio too,
    Billy Martin and Mantle, Whitey Ford and to you

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Steve View Post
    Meanwhile, 2 innings vs. Texas... 1 hit, o runs, no walks.
    and 2 K's. Already worth the signing, IMO.
    Fistpumping like a champion.

NYYF Legend

Well don't I feel like a fool right about now. Cash knows best.

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    Well don't I feel like a fool right about now. Cash knows best.
    He was minutes away from Ryan Dempster.

Thread Information