Trade Deadline

As per CBS: our trade deadline is:

August 7, 2012 at 11:59pm

that's tomorrow night!

Get those offers in now!

Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

Re: Trade Deadline

12.5 hours until the trading deadline, and I've never seen it so quiet. Have all the trades been made?

Matt Holliday is a beast. last chance for anyone interested in giving up their future.

NYYF Legend

Can't believe nobody needs:

Saltalamacchia
    Miguel Cabrera
    Votto
    Pedroia
    Reyes

Hughes
    Kuroda
    Colon (seriously, look at your #5. Better than Bart?)
    Johnson
    Papelbon

I'm not giving these guys away as I'm technically still alive and playing for points - but if you want to win it this year, these guys will all help.

This year has been extremely odd for the league.

NYYF HOF

ooo how I wish I was in it this year....all the top teams aren't willing to sacrifice their futures for a chance at a title.

Quote Originally Posted by The FUTURE View Post
    ....all the top teams aren't willing to sacrifice their futures for a chance at a title.
    No kidding....I am shocked at how people want to hold on to their keepers AND get your top players...in the past, you could get deals done.

I had teams offering me non-keepable players (guys taken in the first or second round) for CC or Cueto. WTF was up with that?

Oh well...

2013 NYYFans Fantasy Champ miko's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Big_E View Post
    No kidding....I am shocked at how people want to hold on to their keepers AND get your top players...in the past, you could get deals done.

I had teams offering me non-keepable players (guys taken in the first or second round) for CC or Cueto. WTF was up with that?

Oh well...
    You really wanna bring this here??? I gave you the last word in our PM's last night but you wanna bring your sh*t here then I have no problem explaining my side in front of the class!

The guys you wanted for CC and Cueto were not worth a 4 week rental. My guys had more points than your guys AND were still keepable for 2 or 3 years. Shut down for the year or not Stras is still worth more than 4 weeks of CC so yes, I am ok with putting Harang in for him as I already traded for King Felix and Burnett to bolster my rotation a couple weeks ago. I'm not saying it is not going to be a blow to my team but I will have to make up for it off the waiver wire instead. Good luck to me, I get it! The longer you wait to make a deal the less attractive package of players you are going to get back in return.

You kept sending me offers for the guys I claimed were untouchable and so I kept sending offers back....I thought this was playful back and forth since these guys were still unkeepable. I sent out multiple offers for the same guys that I was turned down for just last week. Can't blame a guy for trying...people get an itchy finger on trade deadline day....and I don't blame you either....your negotiating skills just suck.

I could have had 3 amazing players for Trout and I could have had at least 2 for Strasburg. (I'd post the actual trades and the point values associated but that isn't fair to the owners making the offers). This is why I said you were delusional! Maybe for BOTH of those guys you could have had Stras. You gave me so much flack for drafting Stras early last year and now you want him....pretty ironic.

Look back in the league and see how many trades you have made over the years? I am so happy you are in my divsion because you are pretty cheap with your players....everything has to go through a super computer with numbers and explanations....its makes my head hurt reading your posts sometimes!

Now I'll go back to making maple syrup and you go back to following your Obama / Romney election....this rivalry is over for another year!

Quote Originally Posted by miko View Post
    You really wanna bring this here??? I gave you the last word in our PM's last night but you wanna bring your sh*t here then I have no problem explaining my side in front of the class!

The guys you wanted for CC and Cueto were not worth a 4 week rental. My guys had more points than your guys AND were still keepable for 2 or 3 years. Shut down for the year or not Stras is still worth more than 4 weeks of CC so yes, I am ok with putting Harang in for him as I already traded for King Felix and Burnett to bolster my rotation a couple weeks ago. I'm not saying it is not going to be a blow to my team but I will have to make up for it off the waiver wire instead. Good luck to me, I get it! The longer you wait to make a deal the less attractive package of players you are going to get back in return.

You kept sending me offers for the guys I claimed were untouchable and so I kept sending offers back....I thought this was playful back and forth since these guys were still unkeepable. I sent out multiple offers for the same guys that I was turned down for just last week. Can't blame a guy for trying...people get an itchy finger on trade deadline day....and I don't blame you either....your negotiating skills just suck.

I could have had 3 amazing players for Trout and I could have had at least 2 for Strasburg. (I'd post the actual trades and the point values associated but that isn't fair to the owners making the offers). This is why I said you were delusional! Maybe for BOTH of those guys you could have had Stras. You gave me so much flack for drafting Stras early last year and now you want him....pretty ironic.

Look back in the league and see how many trades you have made over the years? I am so happy you are in my divsion because you are pretty cheap with your players....everything has to go through a super computer with numbers and explanations....its makes my head hurt reading your posts sometimes!

Now I'll go back to making maple syrup and you go back to following your Obama / Romney election....this rivalry is over for another year!
    Dude...relax. I never mentioned you by name. Believe it or not, I got lousy offers from more than just you.

But since you brought it up, if a team is out of the playoffs, and looking for keepers, why are you offering Josh Beckett, who is pitching like sh*t, and can't be kept, because he was taken in the second round? Seriously? WTF would Beckett do for me? And after I say I don't want minor league guys, you send me trades that include single-A players.

I gave you flack (LAST YEAR) for taking stras early, because it WAS an early pick. I saw him go much later in other leagues. So yeah, it was an early pick for a guy not expected to get more than a couple of starts, if at all.

I know in the past some owners have given you superstars for nothing in return. But I was looking for keepers.

You offered me Roy Oswalt, after he was so bad he lost his starting job! I mean seriously, why would I want Beckett or Oswalt?

And yeah, I've made much fewer trades than you or Alex. So? Maybe that just means you get other owners to accept your crap offers that I won't take.

You're right, people get itchy trigger fingers on draft day, so yeah, I tried one last time to pry Strasburg. If you're looking to make a run at the title, he won't help you this year.

And one last thing: "My guys had more points than your guys" is not correct. Stas has 447 points, Cueto 475. (Though I'm not sure if that translates into Metric). And Cueto will finish with a lot more points than Stras, since he will go probably 220 IP this year, compared to 170 for Stras.

I had no intention of discussing this in public with you...I did not mention your name at all.

But in the past, teams were willing to sacrifice next year, to win a title this year. I did not get those kind of offers was my point. People, and not just you, wanted to hold on to their keepers AND steal guys like CC and Cueto.'

I made similar offers to other owners and got the same response: "I'm not trading him, he's a keeper!". I had one owner say he didn't know what I was looking for, and I said, ML guys with at least two keeps left, and NO minor leaguers. So he sends me a trade offer with 2 mL guys. SMH.

Well..the point of late-season deals is a team looking for a championship trades keepers for all-stars. It's been that way as long as I've been in the league. And it obviously just isn't my problem as there was not a single trade made this week. I can't remember that ever happening at the deadline.

As alex said, nobody was willing to make those deals this year....

ooo how I wish I was in it this year....all the top teams aren't willing to sacrifice their futures for a chance at a title.
    Makes my life easier without the controversial trades.

The Ligers were willing to trade, but after years of success the cupboard is bare. We made a bunch of offers (did the best we could with what we had), but they were just not good enough. This is more than understood.

What is disturbing is that there seems to be a number of GMs who do not even respond to trade offers. Not an explanation of why an offer was rejected and in many cases not even a rejection of the offer.

It is a disappointment that this League, which was always fully active by nearly every GM all year, has become so inactive. Sad.

The Ligers are on the fence. A team in first place (in a weak... this year) division. Do we buy or sell?

A Liger never gives up and we will fight until the end with what we got.

The future of this league, though? Looks bleak to me.

Thanks much to those who considered trade offers and rejected, and even more thanks to those of you who gave an explanation.

Trades over the years:

2009: 31 completed trades
    2010: 32 completed trades
    2011: 35 completed trades
    2012: 19 completed trades

E, I am going to let you have your last say or we will fill up 14 pages with this thread for no reason.

Beckett was to replace your SP slot....not a "centerpiece" of the deal. I was sending you Rasmus and Cron as well.....Rasmus as a 12th rounder is currently scoring nearly 300 points....way more than your 12th round choice and double what your 10th round keeper last year (Mike Morse) is scoring.....I am not trying to hose you....just as John said, the well is dry.....trying to get one last piece to fit the puzzle, not destroy a dynasty. The only reason I gave Santana up for Pierzinski was because of number of keeps left.....Santana is the better talent but has also been on the DL the last 2 seasons for me.....there is a method to the madness and I do take rosters into consideration.

And yes, Cueto's 1.5 points per week is more than Stras but you were also after Trout......

Trades over the years:

2009: 31 completed trades
    2010: 32 completed trades
    2011: 35 completed trades
    2012: 19 completed trades
    Are these deadline trades?

Quote Originally Posted by miko View Post
    Are these deadline trades?
    For the year.

For the year.
    I do agree that the activity is at an all time low.....
    There should be something in the constitution where you have to check in to this site twice a week.....
    Even just leave a one word blob to say you were here and up on things.....

I was just saying to john, I blame social media...truthfully I am just as likely to talk to people on Facebook or through text messaging than I am here. And if I can talk to people on FB or through texting, it means less time here, less activity in threads, etc...

I wonder what percent on GMs knew that last night was the trade deadline.

50% - maybe? I doubt it's higher than that.

Devoted Member

I agree with adding something to the Constitution about this. I'd hate to see this league die, it's by far the most fun & competitive fantasy league I've been in.
    So yeah - I'd love to get a rule in, if you're inactive for most of the year, you lose your team. I'm sure there are other people willing to join who would be active throughout.

NYYF Triple Crown

I had basically made all the trades I needed. I would have needed an upgrade to my current keepers and minors to make a trade and reduce my chance for a higher pick. I didn't feel any of the offers accomplished that.

Quote Originally Posted by ruthianblast View Post
    I had basically made all the trades I needed. I would have needed an upgrade to my current keepers and minors to make a trade and reduce my chance for a higher pick. I didn't feel any of the offers accomplished that.
    I hounded you for Gallardo too....and you answered me every time.
    I think a lot of people made their deals a little earlier than usual.
    Not a bad thing...just different this year with the trade deadline moved back.

The trade deadline was pushed back about 5 or 6 years ago...and there were 17 fewer trades this year than last. I really saw (and not just you, Jerry!) people wanting to hang on to their keepers more this year.

I had a good crop of keepers coming into this year:

*Hosmer went .293, 19 HR, 78 RBI in 2011; on pace for .232, 15 HR, 67 RBI

*Gordon went .303, 23 HR, 87 RBI in 2011; on pace for .293, 9 HR, 63 RBI

*Morse went .303, 31 HR, 95 RBI in 2011; missed the first 2 months of the season, is currently .300, 8 HR, 34 RBI

*Walden had 32 Sv in 2011; struggled in April and lost his closer's job. Then went on the DL. 1 Sv this year

*Braden was injured last year but CBS said: "The 28-year-old is expected to be ready for the start of the 2012 season"; he hasn't pitched yet in 2012.

Personally, keepers are great to have, but there's no sure thing and if I had a chance to win it all, I'd trade away an uncertain future for a chance at the present. And like others have said, that's usually how this league works. Teams are always willing to trade for a title run, even if they have to sacrifice their keepers. That just didn't happen this year.

Oh well...

NYYF HOF

The inactivity is at an all time high for this league....if anyone needs to be called out...it is all the inactive owners that barely participate in this league (when there is usually a long line of willing potential owners) that we need to start with. There are a couple teams I have in mind, that year in and year out, hardly make roster moves, barely post anything, rarely respond to trade offers...no matter what their record.

Honestly, I have no problem with E never making trades, that's his choice. I don't neccessarily agree with how he operates his team from time to time but people have their own methods. The fact me & miko trade a lot doesn't make us better owners. E is and has always been a very active member of this league, always willing to discuss (and at the very least) accept or deny a trade offer. So I think even Miko would agree, he'd rather have E over some of these once-in-a-blue-moon owners we have (at least I would.)

I made some very attractive trade offers to multiple teams in the running for championships, offers where I was giving up Weaver/Gonzalez and then some for one elite keeper. Some deals got rejected and a lot of the offers sat there for weeks with no respones. The point I was trying to make was...while it is very hard to give up an elite keeper with 2 or 3 keeps left, I would've made every one of those deals that I offered so I could take another run at a title (if I was on the other end of the deal) and you can bet your a$$ I'll be doing that next year.

Devoted Member

Honestly, I have no problem with E never making trades, that's his choice. I don't neccessarily agree with how he operates his team from time to time but people have their own methods. The fact me & miko trade a lot doesn't make us better owners. E is and has always been a very active member of this league, always willing to discuss (and at the very least) accept or deny a trade offer. So I think even Miko would agree, he'd rather have E over some of these once-in-a-blue-moon owners we have (at least I would.)
    Agreed. If we do decide to do something about inactive owners, not making trades shouldn't be taken into account for how active an owner is. Making trades shouldn't be mandatory, but responding to trade offers, or posting something here once in a while, should be.

I wish there was something we could do as well. I know there is no way we could enforce mandatory trades. That could be a detriment to people's teams and some people just like to go on their draft and play the wire. What I don;t like are those who do not participate at all here, and barely do a thing with their team when we have a line of people that would love to play.

However in regards to the future of the league I don;t think we need to worry for that fact, we have a long list of people who wanna play. If people become too apathetic they will lose interest, not return and for every person that is like that we have 3 waiting and new people wanting in every year. People will never be a problem. Participation is sticky.

Thread Information