+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Constitution amendment - Time frame for posting a thread for a trade

Okay, it's up to the masses. We NEED a definitive time frame so having one is not up for debate. We need to specify.

24 hours I believe is a good time. Does anyone have an issue with this?

Penalty for not doing so is the trade is vetoed and must go up again when a thread is posted. Agreed?

edit: just as an fyi when we agree to a ruling here, no one is to cite this instance again. This is a one time mulligan for the two parties involved simply because of no absolutes in our league for this situation, and taken under advisement that cell phone apps have changed our environment. This is a one shot deal. Never again. I need to make this perfectly clear. This trade is not an argument for any future issue. When we agree on a time frame it is black and white, no extensions allowed. You can contact a commish or asscom or another owner and beg for them to start a thread for you, but it needs to be done within the agreed time frame.
    Thank you, 2013-2014 New York Rangers for a great season!

NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

Devoted Member

Re: Constitution amendment - Time frame for posting a thread for a trade

I know this isn't a big issue since most people find out about trades from the CBS emails, not from the forums. But if we're talking about it, here's my take: 24 hours is too much. If a trade is only reported the second day, that leaves just 2 days for vetoing, while other trades have 3 days. Not very fair. (Again - all of this applies only to users who make a decision after seeing the deal on the forums).
    Why not keep it as it is? Immediately. As in, right away. 10 minutes. 20 tops. That should be enough to start a thread.

I believe we should give a little leeway. Personally speaking I have myself had times where I accepted a trade but could not get here in an appropriate time frame to start a thread. I think if we're to make a black and white rule, 20 minutes is a bit harsh. people do have lives. I take this league as serious as anyone, but in the end it is FBB.

NYYF Triple Crown

Let's give everyone 12 hours; that's about a slightly longer than average workday + transportation time.

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    I think if we're to make a black and white rule, 20 minutes is a bit harsh. people do have lives.
    That's what "immediately" means to me. 12 or 24 hours isn't "immediately", except maybe in Jamaica. This is the current rule and it worked for years, why change it?

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisRo View Post
    That's what "immediately" means to me. 12 or 24 hours isn't "immediately", except maybe in Jamaica. This is the current rule and it worked for years, why change it?
    Because it's open to interpretation. I know it's been in place for years but when implemented things like apps on your phone were not around. You HAD to log on somewhere, which meant if you had access to the CBS site you had access here. Now that has changed. Starting a thread on your phone sucks. We need to evolve to the times and technology.

I'm fine with 12 hours. I cannot agree to 20 minutes. I just can't.

37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

I'm OK with 12 hours.

NYYF Triple Crown

Can we increase the voting time by a day to account for the add'l 12 hours to post a trade?

Interesting. That can be an option. I'm not sure how others will feel though. It already takes forever and a day for a trade to go through.

Quote Originally Posted by ruthianblast View Post
    Can we increase the voting time by a day to account for the add'l 12 hours to post a trade?
    Well, it's not 72 hours. It's 3 full days, in addition to the partial time of the day it was accepted.

So a trade accepted on Saturday, as this one was, Saturday doesn't count. Sunday, Monday and Tuesday are the voting days, and at 2am Wednesday the trade is processed.

or to think of it this way: A trade is accepted at 10:30am Saturday. 10:30am Sunday is 24 hours. 10:30am Monday is 48 hours, 10:30am Tuesday is 72 hours, then it gets processed at 2am on Wednesday. But really the trade was out there 3.5 days anyway.

You can contact a commish or asscom or another owner and beg for them to start a thread for you, but it needs to be done within the agreed time frame.
    Steve, just thinking that you guys might want to make clear in the amendment what happens if the commish/asscom is contacted within the time frame but does not start the thread since they don't get the e-mail or whatever.
    -Kevin

"My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan

RIP, Pete.

NYYF Legend

I say 2 full days. Sh-t happens and I feel like at least ONE of the parties will be able to throw up a thread topic easily. 12 hours is iffy. Sometimes trades could just be accepted quickly to get it done before it expires, but then life quickly takes over. No one wants a one sentence long topic detailing the deals, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Soriambi View Post
    Steve, just thinking that you guys might want to make clear in the amendment what happens if the commish/asscom is contacted within the time frame but does not start the thread since they don't get the e-mail or whatever.
    Well, that was a loose suggestion that maybe you can contact someone to do it for you and hopefully they will. But the responsibility does fall on the two parties involved in the trade.

Look, I know we all have different opinions about this but we should all try and take into consideration what is best for the league (that everyone who comes on this board is aware of accepted trades) while balancing out that life is bigger than FBB and sometimes sh!t happens.

Again, I take the league as seriously as anyone and we do need concrete rules for any situation which is why we need to deal with this one. It needs to be concrete but at the same time should accommodate people's lives. Having a trade bounced because someone took a half a day to make the announcement to us seems unreasonable. We should all be paying attention on the CBS site. And I have the app on my phone, I made a habit that when I check out the scores I also check out pending transactions. I would urge everyone else to do this as well. The thread concerning trades is more of a heads up thing in my eyes, and never should have been a necessity. However it is, so let's try and compromise and come up with something we can all live with.

Quote Originally Posted by DontHateOnNumber2 View Post
    I say 2 full days. Sh-t happens and I feel like at least ONE of the parties will be able to throw up a thread topic easily. 12 hours is iffy. Sometimes trades could just be accepted quickly to get it done before it expires, but then life quickly takes over. No one wants a one sentence long topic detailing the deals, right?
    2 days is the bullsh*t that got us into this. Trades don't expire. They may get pulled back, but if someone offers me a trade and i have to jump on it so quickly because i think they may have sellers remorse then it's a bullsh*t trade.

If you're going away for a few days, you can let people here know that. Folks used to do that all the time -- going off line for a few days, will respond to any trades when i get back. Easy. But people want and deserve a place to discuss a thread. Defend a trade you made. Hiding it for 2 days makes me think you want to try to sneak it through and someone might vote against it for spite.

NYYF HOF

here is a thought....check cbs daily instead of nyyfans around trading season....but if we are throwing time limits on it...24 hours is as low as I would go....I don't think this is a big issue in this league. 99 times out of 100 the threads get posted very quickly.

2013 NYYFans Fantasy Champ miko's Avatar

I have the following comments....

1) E has a bad case of potty mouth.
    2) I need to take a trip soon....preferably Jamaica.
    3) 12 hours is plenty of time to start a thread...this isn't a first time offence.
    4) 3 days is already too long to wait for a trade to go through.
    5) I like bacon!

And yes I objected because the proper protocol wasn't followed.
    Call me a whiner but I have made enough trades in my time here and I know exactly how much effort is involved in starting a thread.

oy. I'm sorry but that is an abuse of your voting option. I mean, I'm sorry but this to me is a very petty problem to be having such a strong problem with. We should all be checking the site regularly, especially on Mondays when rosters lock. Throwing up a thread to me was just a service to the league. Why it is and was ever viewed as a mandate I don't understand. I'm in 3 other leagues and we don't have a message board other than the site. And the attention to trades is doing fine.

NYYF HOF

oy. I'm sorry but that is an abuse of your voting option. I mean, I'm sorry but this to me is a very petty problem to be having such a strong problem with. We should all be checking the site regularly, especially on Mondays when rosters lock. Throwing up a thread to me was just a service to the league. Why it is and was ever viewed as a mandate I don't understand. I'm in 3 other leagues and we don't have a message board other than the site. And the attention to trades is doing fine.
    the fact the thing had 6 objections after day one proves that plenty of attention is given to every trade

Just Flanders being Flanders. Stupid Flanders's Avatar

If you all post your phone numbers, I will be happy to call every single one of you when I accept a trade

I think this league is closely tied to this forum. So back in the day people checked the forum all the time. Indeed, the forum used to be more active in past years. The league was also much less apathetic in past years. Maybe it's time to pull the plug on the league.

People don't vote in polls. People are upset when rules are not followed. People don't respond to trade requests. People don't fix their rosters.

Of course this all does not go for everyone. It's a bit harsh, but it would be nice to get 100% participation in the league.

I vote that we keep the rule and we change immediately to within 12 hours.

What's the point of it all?

NYYF Legend

The point should be fun. I have fun with it, unless I do something stupid that costs me big. That said, I enjoy following throughout the day to see how I fare/what I can do to improve my team.

Good then take my vote away! I just wanted to hold the trade up even longer....
    Do whatever you want there Mr. Batman rant guy!

Just Flanders being Flanders. Stupid Flanders's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by miko View Post
    Good then take my vote away! I just wanted to hold the trade up even longer....
    Do whatever you want there Mr. Batman rant guy!
    No matter. We've won! So much for Mr. Wayne. {/bane}

Quote Originally Posted by Stupid Flanders View Post
    No matter. We've won! So much for Mr. Wayne. {/bane}
    It was a good trade....

Thread Information