+ Reply to Thread
    NYYF Triple Crown

Boston's Bullpen Did Something Unique Yesterday

Yesterday Boston used exactly four relievers and they got a hold, blown save, win, and save. Does anybody know of another game where a team used exactly four relievers and each one got a different outcome (hold, blown save, win, or save) without any of them getting a blown save and win?

NYYF Legend

Re: Boston's Bullpen Did Something Unique Yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by EvanJ View Post
    Yesterday Boston used exactly four relievers and they got a hold, blown save, win, and save. Does anybody know of another game where a team used exactly four relievers and each one got a different outcome (hold, blown save, win, or save) without any of them getting a blown save and win?
    How do you define outcome? What other outcomes are there other than win, loss, hold, save, and blown save (5 outcomes) How can you have four different outcomes without having a win and blown save. There must be more outcomes than the five I listed. Of course you cannot get a win and a loss in the same game.

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

NYYF Triple Crown

Re: Boston's Bullpen Did Something Unique Yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by Nome View Post
    How do you define outcome? What other outcomes are there other than win, loss, hold, save, and blown save (5 outcomes) How can you have four different outcomes without having a win and blown save. There must be more outcomes than the five I listed. Of course you cannot get a win and a loss in the same game.

Andy
    I would define outcome as the five you listed, although the most outcomes a bullpen can get in one game is four because you can't get a win and a loss. Now that I think about it, if you lose you can't get a save so a loss can't be one of the four outcomes. I'm asking for a team that used exactly four relievers who got a:

Win (without a save opportunity)
    Blown save (without a win)
    Save
    Hold

I don't care what order the outcomes happen in, but only certain orders are possible given the rules and definitions of the outcomes. Obviously the save must come last and the win must come after the blown save. The hold can come before or after the win and before or after the blown save. I believe the only possible orders are hold-blown save-win-save (what the Red Sox did) and blown save-win-hold-save.

Thread Information