+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Re: 2012 Ichiro Performance Thread

No, I mean Ichiro in RF full time and Dickerson as a 4th OFer. His L/R splits are nearly identical.
    EvilEmpireDC: Fans bitch about anything lol

The Yankees need and will sign or trade for an OFer who has particular success against LHed pitching. That OFer may sometimes be the DH against lefties as well. I assume this OFer will bat right because few players have continuing reverse splits.

This is going to happen whether you see the logic in it or not. The team is not going to have every one of its OFers bat from the left side.

Quote Originally Posted by rajah View Post
    The Yankees need and will sign or trade for an OFer who has particular success against LHed pitching. That OFer may sometimes be the DH against lefties as well. I assume this OFer will bat right because few players have continuing reverse splits.

This is going to happen whether you see the logic in it or not. The team is not going to have every one of its OFers bat from the left side.
    I know this isn't really your point, but Ichiro! has never had a significant lefty-righty split. The big question is whether he'll hit .320 or .270, without an L-R split either way.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

You are right; it was not my point. The Yankees need and will get for 2013 a RHed-hitting OFer, regardless of whether they sign Ichiro and/or Ibanez, or both. That OFer will not just be, or even primarily be, for platooning with Ichiro, but will be projected into the lineup at least against lefties, in place of any of the OFers or LHed-hitting DH, depending on who is hitting and healthy.

The RHed-hitting OFer conceivably could be good enough to be projected as a regular OFer as well; this would probably mean that Ichiro was not signed, however.

Quote Originally Posted by rajah View Post
    You are right; it was not my point. The Yankees need and will get for 2013 a RHed-hitting OFer, regardless of whether they sign Ichiro and/or Ibanez, or both. That OFer will not just be, or even primarily be, for platooning with Ichiro, but will be projected into the lineup at least against lefties, in place of any of the OFers or LHed-hitting DH, depending on who is hitting and healthy.

The RHed-hitting OFer conceivably could be good enough to be projected as a regular OFer as well; this would probably mean that Ichiro was not signed, however.
    If the Yankees do sign him, I hope they also sign someone else who would compete for a starting job.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Devoted Member

From RAB
    Report: Yankees re-sign Ichiro

By Mike Axisa
    According to a report in Nikkan Sports, the Yankees have re-signed Ichiro Suzuki to a one-year contract worth $5M plus incentives. There hasn’t been any other confirmation yet. More to come.

Update: Yankees have not re-signed Ichiro
    By Mike Axisa
    10:10am: Erik Boland hears there is “no truth” to the report, so the Yankees have not re-signed Ichiro.
    Last edited by Bleacher_Creature; 11-27-12 at 10:05 AM.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bleacher_Creature View Post
    From RAB
    Report: Yankees re-sign Ichiro

By Mike Axisa
    According to a report in Nikkan Sports, the Yankees have re-signed Ichiro Suzuki to a one-year contract worth $5M plus incentives. There hasnít been any other confirmation yet. More to come.

would be awesome, but then confirmation of the end of the Swisher era
    The real reason why the Yankees keep winning is cause the other team can't stop staring at the damn pinstripes

This is the kind of deal you want Ichiro on.

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    This is the kind of deal you want Ichiro on.
    That kind of deal, plus another outfielder who can compete with him for a starting job. They really should be prepared for the possibility that what we saw was not a career revival but a last gasp.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

Nice, an extra year of opportunities for JL25and3 to bash his potential!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by BronxYanks45 View Post
    would be awesome, but then confirmation of the end of the Swisher era
    Swisher wants a multi-year deal. His era is over no matter what happens with Ichiro.

27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    That kind of deal, plus another outfielder who can compete with him for a starting job. They really should be prepared for the possibility that what we saw was not a career revival but a last gasp.
    Agreed. And even if you just look at his Yankee numbers, he's a downgrade from Swisher.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Eh, but Ichiro is a HUGE defensive upgrade. Swisher had a cannon, but he made some pretty glaring plays this season. More than I really cared to remember. Plus, people want "manufactured" runs. This will help. Our outfield will be amazing this season. Well, if they move Granderson to left.

In concurrence with Mr. Coffee, Erik Boland is reporting there is "no truth" to the Ichiro rumor.

Eh, but Ichiro is a HUGE defensive upgrade. Swisher had a cannon, but he made some pretty glaring plays this season. More than I really cared to remember. Plus, people want "manufactured" runs. This will help. Our outfield will be amazing this season. Well, if they move Granderson to left.
    Agree that Ichiro is better defensively, but it's not going to make up for the loss in offense. As for "manufactured" runs, while I respect Ichiro's ability to run and put the bat on the ball, he got on base a lot less than Swisher (even just looking at his Yankee stats) which has to hurt in that regard, right?

I actually like what Ichiro brings to the Yankees, just question if it's the best thing to make him a full-time, starting OF with Gardner and Granderson
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

I've never been a huge fan of Swisher. I mean, he's probably a nice guy. But, I'm glad he won't be on the Yankees next season.

I've never been a huge fan of Swisher. I mean, he's probably a nice guy. But, I'm glad he won't be on the Yankees next season.
    Unless he ends up with some kind of crazy, below market deal, I don't think Swisher would have represented money well spent with the current budget realities. That said, if they make Ichiro the full time RF it will likely have a negative impact. I'd prefer to see them bring someone else in as well

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    Nice, an extra year of opportunities for JL25and3 to bash his potential!
    I'm not bashing him, and I hope he hits .330. I just don't think the Yankees should count on it.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    Agree that Ichiro is better defensively, but it's not going to make up for the loss in offense. As for "manufactured" runs, while I respect Ichiro's ability to run and put the bat on the ball, he got on base a lot less than Swisher (even just looking at his Yankee stats) which has to hurt in that regard, right?

I actually like what Ichiro brings to the Yankees, just question if it's the best thing to make him a full-time, starting OF with Gardner and Granderson

If they resign Ibanez he could play RF sometimes to spell Ichiro. A downgrade defensively but he does have more power than Ichiro.

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    If they resign Ibanez he could play RF sometimes to spell Ichiro. A downgrade defensively but he does have more power than Ichiro.
    Both can have the LHP problem. Hairston for 4th OF, Ibanez for PH/DH/5th OF, please.
    Fistpumping like a champion.

Quote Originally Posted by just-blaze View Post
    Both can have the LHP problem. Hairston for 4th OF, Ibanez for PH/DH/5th OF, please.
    Yes, a RH Of would complement all 3 OF positions if Ichiro is signed. And I'd prefer not to see Ibanez in any kind of OF rotation defensively -- also, his splits, while SSS, also argue that he should be restricted to DH.

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    Yes, a RH Of would complement all 3 OF positions if Ichiro is signed. And I'd prefer not to see Ibanez in any kind of OF rotation defensively -- also, his splits, while SSS, also argue that he should be restricted to DH.
    Right. 5th OF is more an emergency position than anything. Id prefer if we only use Ibanez to put fear in the hearts of RHP, too. Horrid defender.

Hairston would temper the power loss of Swisher, and play some infield positions too. Really as ideal as it can get for the Yankees situation. They better get it done.
    Fistpumping like a champion.

Don't call it a comeback False1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by just-blaze View Post
    Right. 5th OF is more an emergency position than anything. Id prefer if we only use Ibanez to put fear in the hearts of RHP, too. Horrid defender.

Hairston would temper the power loss of Swisher, and play some infield positions too. Really as ideal as it can get for the Yankees situation. They better get it done.
    I know this is blasphemous but in spite of his insane finish to the season I wouldn't bank on Ibanez striking fear in pitchers.

NYYF MVP

If Ichiro can manage a ~.310 wOBA as an everyday player (without slipping significantly in the field or on the base paths), I think he'd actually be roughly as valuable as Swish if they moved Granderson to RF and put Ichiro in center. And despite the positional adjustment, it might even help Granderson if you buy that he's been as horrid defensively as most metrics seem to indicate.

Though on the other hand, Gardner in CF could potentially be a top-10 player. But it's just a thought, in the event that they do bring Ichiro back,

Thread Information