+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Re: 2012 Ichiro Performance Thread

The sad thing is that Suzuki probably wont be brought back due to his age. I think he can still be a great hitter in Yankee Stadium though. Too bad we didn't get him sooner, also too bad he played for Seattle all this years. I think they only made the playoffs with him on the roster twice.

Addicted Member

Happy 39th Birthday to Ichiro Suzuki!!! (10/22/73)

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Zilla View Post
    The sad thing is that Suzuki probably wont be brought back due to his age. I think he can still be a great hitter in Yankee Stadium though. Too bad we didn't get him sooner, also too bad he played for Seattle all this years. I think they only made the playoffs with him on the roster twice.
    Once.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Zilla View Post
    The sad thing is that Suzuki probably wont be brought back due to his age.
    I don't think that would be sad. (Actually, it would be a combination of his age and the fact that he had one great month at the end of two seasons of suck.)
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mxylsplk View Post
    Once.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    I don't think that would be sad. (Actually, it would be a combination of his age and the fact that he had one great month at the end of two seasons of suck.)
    Ichiro hit .322 in 67 games for the Bombers. And he was one of the only players to do anything at the plate in the ALCS. I'd love to have him back, I think he can be a very useful player for us.

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Pierre View Post
    Ichiro hit .322 in 67 games for the Bombers. And he was one of the only players to do anything at the plate in the ALCS. I'd love to have him back, I think he can be a very useful player for us.
    I am open to the possibility that coming to the Yankees motivated him or that he is going to have a late career resurgence. You should be open to the possibility that we just got lucky and he had an unsustainable hot streak at the right time for us.

As long as his pay reflects the risk I would love to see him back.

Quote Originally Posted by K-W View Post
    I am open to the possibility that coming to the Yankees motivated him or that he is going to have a late career resurgence. You should be open to the possibility that we just got lucky and he had an unsustainable hot streak at the right time for us.

As long as his pay reflects the risk I would love to see him back.
    That's why I would sign him as a fourth outfielder with a chance to win a starting job. He was awful for almost two years before the Yankees signed him, and while coming to NY may have motivated him, I wouldn't be too confident that that represents a renewed level of performance that will sustain him through his age-39 season.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    Bonus points for Johnny Dangerously reference. I thought I was the only person who knew that movie existed.
    "A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore."

I love baseball in general and the Yankees just happen to be my favorite team since I knew what baseball was.

NYYF MVP

Let him walk, 60 good games ain't gonna mask the fact that he hit like crap for the last two years in Seattle.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by eaganmafia View Post
    Let him walk, 60 good games ain't gonna mask the fact that he hit like crap for the last two years in Seattle.
    I agree. Bombers need to get younger, wherever they can. This is an opportunity, plenty of other options....
    Goin for 2<strike>7</strike>8!

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by goin for 27 View Post
    I agree. Bombers need to get younger, wherever they can. This is an opportunity, plenty of other options....
    I could care less about his age, its more lack of talent.

NTM with the 189 ballon hanging over the team, older guys on 1-2 year deals make more sense then locking yourself into a 6-7 year deal with a guy in his mid to late 20's.

Quote Originally Posted by geoffman View Post
    Bonus points for Johnny Dangerously reference. I thought I was the only person who knew that movie existed.
    Joe Piscapo's only good movie. It was one of my favorites when I was a kid in the 80's.

You farging icehole... lol

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Pierre View Post
    Joe Piscapo's only good movie. It was one of my favorites when I was a kid in the 80's.

You farging icehole... lol
    I liked Wise Guys.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by eaganmafia View Post
    I could care less about his age, its more lack of talent.

NTM with the 189 ballon hanging over the team, older guys on 1-2 year deals make more sense then locking yourself into a 6-7 year deal with a guy in his mid to late 20's.
    Ichiro has the talent, he is just aging, so it is obviously declining.

And who is saying to lock up a youngster for 6-7 years?

Ichiro had a nice, short run, time to move on.
    Goin for 2<strike>7</strike>8!

Don't call it a comeback False1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by goin for 27 View Post
    Who are the other OF that make up your plenty? If they want a short-term FA OF, there's not a whole lot out there. If they think Austin and/or Heathcott are the real deal(s), Ichiro makes sense if he'd do a 1 year deal for a reasonable salary.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    Who are the other OF that make up your plenty? If they want a short-term FA OF, there's not a whole lot out there. If they think Austin and/or Heathcott are the real deal(s), Ichiro makes sense if he'd do a 1 year deal for a reasonable salary.

Absolutely - the key here being a one year deal.

The question is simple - what number will Ichiro actually accept as reasonable. He is coming off a 5/$90M contract, but has to realize that his performance the last two years does not warrant this high a salary.

Would he be willing to accept $5M? $8M? I would offer him somewhere between the two numbers, with incentives for games played, etc.

Since it is only for one year, the dollar amount really does not matter, but I don't want it to go too high. He could fill many roles on this team - platoon RF, pinch runner, pinch hitter, 4th OFer able to play all three OF positions.

He would be a great bench player (admittedly, at those prices, a very expensive bench player).
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    Scott Hairston is 32. I'm just sayin/shillin.

Wouldn't mind Ichiro coming back on a comfortable 1 year deal. I don't know if 1 year for 5 mil with incentives that can go up to 10 makes sense for either party but I think it could work.

Hairston isn't bad, but I'd much rather have Ichiro.
    EvilEmpireDC: Fans bitch about anything lol

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    Hairston isn't bad, but I'd much rather have Ichiro.
    Why not get them both and platoon 'em.
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd

Quote Originally Posted by Blazer View Post
    Meh, I'd rather have Dickerson for 4th OF.
    EvilEmpireDC: Fans bitch about anything lol

I read somewhere that Ichiro would like to come back... Make it happen if it's for one or two years at a good price.

Quote Originally Posted by Blazer View Post
    That's what I'd do. Hairston vs lefties and Ichiro vs righties.

NYYF Legend

Hairston had a career year in 2012, doubt he repeats it but he still can mash lefties
    The real reason why the Yankees keep winning is cause the other team can't stop staring at the damn pinstripes

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    Meh, I'd rather have Dickerson for 4th OF.
    Dickerson and Hairston are not alternatives. Dickerson is not a potential platoon partner with Ichiro as he bats left and has never hit LHed pitching.

The Yankees need a replacement for Jones. They need a RHed hitting OFer who can hit lefties well. They will sign someone for this role, even if they also sign both Ichiro and Ibanez. Count on it. Hairston would be a good choice, at the right money of course. You can suggest a better choice, but it can't be Dickerson.

Thread Information