+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Re: Yankees acquire Ichiro from Mariners

Does he stay in the 8th spot?

Devoted Member
    467 miles from Yankee Stadium (Cleveland)

Seems pretty clear now that the Yankees will retire #51. I can't imagine them giving the number to anyone less prominent than Ichiro (who has worn the number for Seattle) if we were going to keep it in circulation. Now, with Ichiro in #31, Bernie seems destined to have his number retired.
    "You don't play the games on paper....you have to play the games."
    --Derek Jeter

Quote Originally Posted by PYanks View Post
    Seems pretty clear now that the Yankees will retire #51. I can't imagine them giving the number to anyone less prominent than Ichiro (who has worn the number for Seattle) if we were going to keep it in circulation. Now, with Ichiro in #31, Bernie seems destined to have his number retired.
    I'm not so sure. I think its more likely that Ichiro knew better than to come in here as a role player and ask for #51, knowing what it represents to the fans. Even with his famed ego, a move like that would turn the fans against him.

On another note, is he going to be able to play LF? I seem to recall him throwing a fit when the Mariners asked him to play CF.
    Mariano Rivera was so great he was able to close a Denny's.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by 35Knucklecurve View Post
    His sense of humor is off the charts. I think it was Bobby Valentine he once told, "Shut-up dude". He completely cracked up Palmiero once by commenting on the unbearable heat & humidity in Baltimore. After getting a single, he said, "Man, it's hotter than two cats fuc*ing in a paper bag in Kansas City." Swish, you've got company.
    For anyone that doesn't remember or isn't familiar with the legend of his annual ASG locker room speech:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slu...rospeech071508

NEW YORK – Piece by piece, the legend started to reveal itself.

“How do you know about that?” Michael Young asked.

A whisper here. A story there. Something about the greatest pregame speech since Rockne invoked the Gipper, one laced with profanity and delivered to the American League All-Stars every year.

“It’s why we win,” David Ortiz said.

He pointed to Ichiro Suzuki, the Seattle Mariners’ wisp of an outfielder, a man who still uses a translator to do interviews with English-speaking reporters – and happens to be baseball’s amalgam of Anthony Robbins and George Carlin. Every year, after the AL manager addresses his team, Ichiro bursts from his locker, a bundle of kinetic energy, and proceeds, in English, to disparage the National League with an H-bomb of F-bombs, stunning first-timers who had no idea Ichiro speaks the queen’s language fluently and making returnees happy that they had played well enough to see the pep talk again.

The tradition began in 2001, Ichiro’s first All-Star appearance, and the AL hasn’t lost a game since. Coincidence?

Um. No.

“I know how important it is to the game,” Ichiro said. “I’m more concentrated at that moment than I am in the game.”
    The exact words are not available. Players are too busy laughing to remember them. Ichiro wouldn’t dare repeat them in public. So here’s the best facsimile possible.

“Bleep … bleep bleep bleep … National League … bleep … bleep … bleeeeeeeeep … National – bleep bleep bleepbleepbleep!”

“If you’ve never seen it, it’s definitely something pretty funny,” Morneau said. “It’s hard to explain, the effect it has on everyone. It’s such a tense environment. Everyone’s a little nervous for the game, and then he comes out. He doesn’t say a whole lot the whole time he’s in there, and all of a sudden, the manager gets done with his speech, and he pops off.”
    Mo' Nut: One Smoove Brotha.

Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    For anyone that doesn't remember or isn't familiar with the legend of his annual ASG locker room speech:

Secret playoff weapon
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

NYYF Legend

It has nothing to do with the Yankees retiring #51 in the future. Ichiro didn't ask for the number. He directly picked #31.

R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar
    Formerly Brooklyn & Joisey; now just right behind you ... BOO!!!

Roger Clemens (who, last I've heard, has an incredible baseball reputation) was denied the opportunity to wear #21, since Paulie wore this. Armando Benitez was denied #49, since Ron Guidry had worn this and at the time, #49 was not retired (but has since been officially retired).

I don't think that the Yanks have to officially retire Bernie's number. Simply refuse this to any call-up, and deny it for anyone currently wearing this number.

The Yanks already have enough retired numbers.
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    He's a free agent after this year. The Yanks are paying 2.2M of the 7M left on his current contract.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_E View Post
    Yes, his contract expires at the end of the year.
    Oh, OK. I heard that the M's didn't want to pay his next contract. I figured that meant he was either due for a new pricey contract, or had some team and/or player extension for 2013.

Thanks.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post

I remember the first time I heard that story I couldn't stop laughing for about 5 minutes. that and the Cleveland line are classics.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by 35Knucklecurve View Post
    He completely cracked up Palmiero once by commenting on the unbearable heat & humidity in Baltimore. After getting a single, he said, "Man, it's hotter than two cats fuc*ing in a paper bag in Kansas City." Swish, you've got company.
    I always wondered if that is some off-color oldie Japanese expression about Kyushu (southernmost island of Japan) or somewhere--not the Kansas City part, they would probably use Okinawa.

[JDPNYY snags two so far--good one, John.]
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Yankee View Post
    Roger Clemens (who, last I've heard, has an incredible baseball reputation) was denied the opportunity to wear #21, since Paulie wore this.
    Full disclosure ... O'Neill was an active player at the time.

The more relevant example was LaTroy Hawkins, who was given #21 and booed mercilessly by the fans for it.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    Full disclosure ... O'Neill was an active player at the time.

The more relevant example was LaTroy Hawkins, who was given #21 and booed mercilessly by the fans for it.

Paulie could have gone a long way towards stopping that. He was doing TV at the time. He could have just told fans to give the guy a break. That all he needed to say. It was unfair to Hawkins.
    We toast to the old days and DiMaggio too,
    Billy Martin and Mantle, Whitey Ford and to you

Quote Originally Posted by hardrain View Post
    Paulie could have gone a long way towards stopping that. He was doing TV at the time. He could have just told fans to give the guy a break. That all he needed to say. It was unfair to Hawkins.
    I wouldn't have said a word either. Every player wants their number retired, and I'm sure he probably felt a little bad that they gave some crappy reliever his #21.
    Mariano Rivera was so great he was able to close a Denny's.

3500 or Bust

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    I never said he was a dime a dozen, especially given his speed and defensive ability. But strictly as a hitter - yes, I think the ability to hit a lot of singles with no secondary skills is overrated.
    Overrated probably equates to so-so, so 'hugely overrated' must mean a dime a dozen.

NYYF Legend

Ichiro Suzuki apparently wanted the New York Yankees even more than the Yankees wanted him.

Before completing a trade to acquire the Japanese star, the Yankees spelled out a list of conditions to Ichiro, a former American League MVP and two-time batting champion.

Ichiro would be asked to switch positions, hit at the bottom of the lineup and possibly sit against left-handed pitching.

"He was fully educated on all our requirements," Yankees general manager Brian Cashman told ESPNNewYork.com. "One by one, every box got ticked off."
    http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/stor...agreeing-trade

NYYF Legend

also from that article:

But the consensus among Yankee scouts was that Ichiro was "bored" playing for the last-place Mariners and was "playing down to his surroundings." The Yankees hope this situation will reverse itself with the 38-year-old Ichiro suddenly shifted to a first-place team with a legitimate hope of reaching the World Series.

Yankee scouts reported that Ichiro's athleticism and defensive abilities were undiminished, another factor that influenced New York to take the leap of faith that Ichiro could return to a semblance of his former effectiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by hardrain View Post
    I have to agree with you on this one.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

NYYF Cy Young

I love O'Neill and Williams as much as anyone, but they don't deserve their numbers retired imo. They already have too many that are undeserving retired.

Quote Originally Posted by MoVaughnEatsAlot View Post
    I love O'Neill and Williams as much as anyone, but they don't deserve their numbers retired imo. They already have too many that are undeserving retired.
    100% agree.
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn Yankee Fan View Post
    I haven't heard his name in years, yikes.

The fact that we traded for Ichiro the day we started a series with the M's in Seattle is one thing. But for him to hit a single the first pitch he sees, steal second, and catch the final out of the game, that's way too story book for its own good.
    When I heard Sterling talk about the Yanks getting Ichiro, I wondered. then He $ Suzyn mentioned it. When he threw a runner out in the bottom of the 8th, I think, that's when it dawned on me.

Quote Originally Posted by MoVaughnEatsAlot View Post
    I never really understand why many have this view. O'Neill and Bernie were both signature players from one of the most memorable eras for the Yankees....I think we'd all agree on that. To acknowledge them both by retiring their numbers....why does it hurt?

Not a big deal either way, but I don't see how it dilutes the meaning by retiring guys who were a level down from the Hall of Fame.

the thing that really turns me off about Monument Park these days is that Steinbrenner monument. I certainly understand honoring him, but to put up somehting that dwarfs all else has ruined monument park for me.

Will he be this year's replacement for Brett Gardner?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by d32123 View Post
    I'm like hyperventilating!!!!!! omgomgomgomg

This must be what having sex feels like!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
    This post is great. Mostly because I believe it's true.

Crow,Tony,Joe,Yogi,Riz,2 Joes Tifoso's Avatar

May I ask how Ichiro did? (He should have been signed years ago).
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2014)
    Totus Tuus

Thread Information