+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Re: Yankees acquire Ichiro from Mariners

With the Yanks in 2012

Dewayne Wise wRC+ 123 WAR 0.8
    Ichiro Suzuki wRC+ 61 WAR -0.1

Looks like that trade was a downgrade.
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd

Quote Originally Posted by Blazer View Post
    With the Yanks in 2012

I don't think Wise was going to maintain anything like that level of performance, and Ichiro! has @ least some possible upside over that.

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    I don't think Wise was going to maintain anything like that level of performance, and Ichiro! has @ least some possible upside over that.
    The point about Wise is valid, but I can't help but suspect the Ichiro deal was made, at least in part, to drum up some Japanese advertising, merchandise, and ticket revenue.
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd

The point about Wise is valid, but I can't help but suspect the Ichiro deal was made, at least in part, to drum up some Japanese advertising, merchandise, and ticket revenue.
    I can't help but find this extremely likely.
    Please sign David Robertson and Chase Headley.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by Benefactor View Post
    You can stand a .273 OBP? His defense is an upgrade over Swisher, but that's it. He's a full-time utility player.
    Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045 View Post
    Seriously. If people can accept numbers like this...then their standards of acceptance are sure falling downward. Ichiro's a platoon player at this point who really should not be facing LHP.
    Seriously, have you looked at the OBP of the alternatives on this team? Ibanez & Jones are both at .303 - that means that three times out of 100 PA, they will get on board more than Ichiro (and two times in 100 PA if you use his season .287 OBP for comparison, not his SSS NYY .273). Wise was at .286 - the same as Ichiro this season.

What I would prefer is Gardner and his career .355 OBP batting ninth, but that event is not happening.

As for the idea of platooning Ichiro in LF with Jones, I have no problem with the concept. Still, I believe Girardi & the Yankees would prefer to give Ichiro the chance to see if the change in scenery impacts his production (to date, it has not) before reverting to the platoon idea.

What the acquisition of Ichiro was is an upgrade to the team: Ichiro > Wise - that is basically what this whole deal was about.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    What the acquisition of Ichiro was is an upgrade to the team: Ichiro > Wise - that is basically what this whole deal was about.
    In terms of revenue, yes. In terms of production, absolutely not.

In the truest sense of the word, Ichiro is washed up.

With the Yanks in 2012

Lol at comparing a cumulative stat over different sample sizes
    Team Northern Lights

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

238 Babip
    Fistpumping like a champion.

In terms of revenue, yes. In terms of production, absolutely not.

In the truest sense of the word, Ichiro is washed up.
    I take it you think that Wise was going to sustain the small offensive outburst he was on, as compared to the atrocious start he got off to? Wise is not a good hitter, and while Ichiro has waned I'd still prefer him, especially on the bases and in the OF.

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    I'm afraid something like this might actually happen. It's a horrible idea.
    Considering the extensions Granderson and Cano will command and the FO's supposed goal to get to 189, letting Swish walk and signing Ichiro as a platoon player ala Jones/Ibanez is not a horrible idea.

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    I take it you think that Wise was going to sustain the small offensive outburst he was on, as compared to the atrocious start he got off to? Wise is not a good hitter, and while Ichiro has waned I'd still prefer him, especially on the bases and in the OF.
    So you'll take a washed up player who's infamous for chasing counting stats over a guy who would dive in the stands to catch a ball.

Obviously, you've never seen much of Ichiro on the bases. I've had the pleasure of living in the Mariner broadcast area 8 of his years beginning in 2001 and I can say flat out, I've never seen a baserunner more lost/clueless on the bases than him.

We're also talking about a guy who would bunt with a runner on 2B regardless of the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by just-blaze View Post
    Considering the extensions Granderson and Cano will command and the FO's supposed goal to get to 189, letting Swish walk and signing Ichiro as a platoon player ala Jones/Ibanez is not a horrible idea.

It's not a forgone conclusion that Granderson gets that extension. Like you said, if the target is 189, Granderson's extention is clearly dependent on Cano's price tag. I'm not a huge Swisher fan, but it wouldn't surprise me if the Yankees choose Swisher over Granderson because he won't command nearly as much on the open market.

Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045 View Post
    Seriously. If people can accept numbers like this...then their standards of acceptance are sure falling downward. Ichiro's a platoon player at this point who really should not be facing LHP.
    I wasn't against the trade originally 'cause he cost us nothing. But if Girardi doesn't realize Ichiro's no longer an everyday player, then the trade works against the Yankees. He hasn't missed a start since the trade.

I wasn't against the trade originally 'cause he cost us nothing. But if Girardi doesn't realize Ichiro's no longer an everyday player, then the trade works against the Yankees. He hasn't missed a start since the trade.
    You'd rather see Ibanez or Jones playing the outfield?
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    You'd rather see Ibanez or Jones playing the outfield?
    Nope, I just don't want to see Ichiro vs LHP'ing. I understand both jones and ibanez stink vs LHP'ing as well, but both can run into a pitch from time to time and you can always use Ichiro as defensive replacement late in games.

Nope, I just don't want to see Ichiro vs LHP'ing. I understand both jones and ibanez stink vs LHP'ing as well, but both can run into a pitch from time to time and you can always use Ichiro as defensive replacement late in games.
    By the same token you can keep Ichiro's glove in there for the majority of the game and pinch hit Ibanez and Jones later on if the need arises.

Probably a 'six of one, half dozen of the other' type situation.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

So you'll take a washed up player who's infamous for chasing counting stats over a guy who would dive in the stands to catch a ball.

Obviously, you've never seen much of Ichiro on the bases. I've had the pleasure of living in the Mariner broadcast area 8 of his years beginning in 2001 and I can say flat out, I've never seen a baserunner more lost/clueless on the bases than him.
    "Chasing counting stats?" Jesus. What did you want him to do? Not hit singles and just walk away from the sport because he can't impress people like you with his awesome SLG%? Why would you even bring that up?

We're also talking about a guy who would bunt with a runner on 2B regardless of the situation.
    Ohhhh, THAT guy. This sport needs more guys willing to make such a valiant sacrifice.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    By the same token you can keep Ichiro's glove in there for the majority of the game and pinch hit Ibanez and Jones later on if the need arises.

Probably a 'six of one, half dozen of the other' type situation.
    Well, Jones vs LH starting pitching is actually somewhat respectable... .244/.319/.538/.856/sOPS+ 131

Ichiro on the other hand is beyond awful..... .262/.270/.309/.578/sOPS+ 60

Platooning those two guys wouldn't be a bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    Ohhhh, THAT guy. This sport needs more guys willing to make such a valiant sacrifice.
    Why would a player with exceptional bat control need to bunt a guy to third when he could pull a ground ball or single him in?

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    Yeah. I'm still loving this trade. And, if he heats up more, we can sign him to a one year deal so Swish can walk.
    Going into next year with Ichiro as a starting outfielder is an idea so cartoonishly bad that I can't imagine that the Yankees would even suggest it to try to get leverage with Swisher or with another team while trying to replace him.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RenoHightower View Post
    Going into next year with Ichiro as a starting outfielder is an idea so cartoonishly bad that I can't imagine that the Yankees would even suggest it to try to get leverage with Swisher or with another team while trying to replace him.
    Agreed, and the fact that Seattle is paying most of his salary, and that they made him agree to a reduced role gives me confidence they know where he is in his career.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

You never watched Jorge Posada....
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by effdamets View Post
    You never watched Jorge Posada....

I stand corrected.

How exactly does Jones stink against LHP?

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    How exactly does Jones stink against LHP?
    .225/.279/.477/.756 vs LHP. His power is virtually the same from both sides of the plate and he has a better OBP ( .344 ) from the right side.

.225/.279/.477/.756 vs LHP. His power is virtually the same from both sides of the plate and he has a better OBP ( .344 ) from the right side.
    Doesn't = stink.

Average.

Thread Information