+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Unprecedented Penalties to be Issued to Penn State Tomorrow

Joe Schad is speculating on Twitter that the punishment would be more detrimental long-term than the death-penalty. What could it be? Taking Penn State off of television for X amount of years? No bowl games for a long period of time? Discuss.

37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

Re: Unprecedented Penalties to be Issued to Penn State Tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by TheManKnownAsMecca View Post
    Joe Schad is speculating on Twitter that the punishment would be more detrimental long-term than the death-penalty. What could it be? Taking Penn State off of television for X amount of years? No bowl games for a long period of time? Discuss.
    More detrimental than the death penalty? The Death Penalty destroyed SMU football. They were a major power in the 1980s, and then it was 25 years before they made another bowl game -- in an era where a .500 record can get you invited somewhere.

Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

Quote Originally Posted by Big_E View Post
    More detrimental than the death penalty? The Death Penalty destroyed SMU football. They were a major power in the 1980s, and then it was 25 years before they made another bowl game -- in an era where a .500 record can get you invited somewhere.
    I think Schad may be talking financially more than the actual program. Something like taking their TV rights away for a few years and no bowl games for a few years will hurt them greatly financially. I also expect to see them take away many scholarships.

I fully expect a lot of recruits to back out of their commitments. One of their big QB verbal recruits already has.

SMU couldn't recover because it's a tiny school with no money, tradition nor history otherwise to get the best players.

2 years of DP won't do ................ to a school as big and well funded as PSU (see Kentucky basketball.)

Cripple them. Take away their scholarships (like not, 10, 20, or even 30, I mean take away all of it) and bowl rights (let them get humiliated on TV) for the next 10 years.

That will hurt them a lot more than 2 years of death penalty.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by grizy View Post
    SMU couldn't recover because it's a tiny school with no money, tradition nor history otherwise to get the best players.

2 years of DP won't do ................ to a school as big and well funded as PSU (see Kentucky basketball.)

Cripple them. Take away their scholarships (like not, 10, 20, or even 30, I mean take away all of it) and bowl rights (let them get humiliated on TV) for the next 10 years.

That will hurt them a lot more than 2 years of death penalty.
    Here's what I'd like to see: Vast reduction (if not elimination) of scholarships for 5 years, no bowl games for 5-10 years, no TV for 5-10 years, but here's the big one to me:

ALL football-related revenue must be donated to charity for a certain amount of time (maybe 3-5 years). Not most of it, all of it. They can recoup their costs to put home games up, but they can't benefit financially.

They also must lose out on all football-related Big 10 revenue sharing. If a Big 10 school goes to a BCS game, they can't get any of the revenue sharing from that, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ZYanksRule View Post
    Here's what I'd like to see: Vast reduction (if not elimination) of scholarships for 5 years, no bowl games for 5-10 years, no TV for 5-10 years, but here's the big one to me:

ALL football-related revenue must be donated to charity for a certain amount of time (maybe 3-5 years). Not most of it, all of it. They can recoup their costs to put home games up, but they can't benefit financially.

They also must lose out on all football-related Big 10 revenue sharing. If a Big 10 school goes to a BCS game, they can't get any of the revenue sharing from that, etc.
    I dont' want to take away their TV rights and big 10 revenue sharing because that just makes it too easy for the Big10 to re-negotiate and keep PSU in. Failing that, 5~10 years of public humiliation on TV can be pretty punishing too.

Putting Big10 (and sponsors) in an impossible situation with PSU is the best chance to truly cripple the program, possibly even resulting in the ejection of PSU altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by ZYanksRule View Post

I think that's going too far.
    Okay Hal and Brian, I might be a sucker, but you got 3 more years to fix it!

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    I think that's going too far.
    I tend to agree. I understand the cry for severe punitive measures but something like that will result in the cost of tuition increasing (probably significantly) which will hurt students and parents who had nothing to do with this. I wish I was King Solomon and knew a just punishment but unfortunately I'm no Solomon.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Penn state makes like 100 million off its football program a year. Sounds like a lot until you realize they got a 4 billion dollar annual budget.

Even if the money were more significant, I still say crush the program.

Besides, judging by the devotion of the cultists, I suspect they'll keep making most of that 100m annually anyway even under severe sanctions and getting curbstomped on a weekly basis.

Penn state makes like 100 million off its football program a year. Sounds like a lot until you realize they got a 4 billion dollar annual budget.

Even if the money were more significant, I still say crush the program.

Besides, judging by the devotion of the cultists, I suspect they'll keep making most of that 100m annually anyway even under severe sanctions and getting curbstomped on a weekly basis.
    Actually about 1/2 that, $53million profit.

http://businessofcollegesports.com/2...ball-programs/

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

1) $60 million fine
    2) No bowls for 4 years
    3) Loss of 10 scholarships for 4 years
    4) Penn State will vacate all wins from 1998-2011
    5) Any student can transfer with no penalty this year

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    1) $60 million fine
    2) No bowls for 4 years
    Not enough, but at least Joe Paterno loses his title as all time winningest coach. I hope as he's burning in hell, this info is passed along to him.
    Pardon, for us.

So how do vacated wins count? Does the other school get a win now? Or is the loss taken off their record? What about their bowl wins over that period? Are there officially no champions of those games? Does Paterno lose credit for all those wins?

I think all they should have received all the above penalties, PLUS the death penalty for a year.

1) $60 million fine
    2) No bowls for 4 years
    I think they got off fairly easy. The fine is obviously huge, but I don't think that will necessarily make it all that difficult to compete for them. 10 scholarships is significant, but not impossible to work around. I think that number should have been significantly higher. The post-season ban is fairly lengthy, but it's not necessarily going to stop talent from going there. The vacated wins, I think, are more or less a non-issue. Vacated wins are always a little shaky as a punishment. You can officially take away the wins, but the fans aren't going to forget the wins, the trophies won,the teams that lost to them aren't going to forget the losses, etc. That aspect is a fairly empty punishment.
    -Kevin

"My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan

RIP, Pete.

So how do vacated wins count? Does the other school get a win now? Or is the loss taken off their record? What about their bowl wins over that period? Are there officially no champions of those games? Does Paterno lose credit for all those wins?

I think all they should have received all the above penalties, PLUS the death penalty for a year.
    The other schools dont get a win...but the wins are just removed from Penn State's record. So yeah I guess technically whatever bowl games they won during that period now have no winner. And yes, Paterno loses all credit for the wins and thus his most wins as a coach title.

The other school keeps their loss, but the violating school loses their win. There are officially no champs of the bowl games. You'll probably see something like an asterisk next to Paterno's record, and he'll officially lose the wins. ESPN reports that he now has 298 wins, which is down from 409.

Example:

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data....php?year=2005

Check 2005 and also go back and check 2004. Those games still count as losses for the losing team. Officially, in 2005, USC went 0-1. In 2005, they vacated the final game of the year and their win in the Orange Bowl, which gave them half of a split national title. That being said, from what I've understand, they've kept that National Championship banner up in their stadium.
    -Kevin

RIP, Pete.

I think Bowden is now the all-time wins leader.

Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045 View Post
    I think Bowden is now the all-time wins leader.
    Division 1-A, yep. He has 377, which is 79 more than Paterno now has.
    -Kevin

RIP, Pete.

NYYF Legend

1) $60 million fine
    2) No bowls for 4 years
    SMU gets the DP for money and coverup.........Penn St. Doesn't get the DP for the raping and sodomy of minors and a 15 year coverup?

"Happy Wife.........Happy Life" - unknown

This is worse than the death penalty... though not by much.

I was really hoping for more scholarships lost and longer bans.

I don't think it's worse than the death penalty. It's a significant penalty with teeth, but I'm not sure I see the worse than the death penalty argument.
    -Kevin

RIP, Pete.

I disagree. The Death Penalty destroyed SMU for 25 years.

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soriambi View Post
    I don't think it's worse than the death penalty. It's a significant penalty with teeth, but I'm not sure I see the worse than the death penalty argument.
    I do, what top recruit will go there knowing that he will not even have a chance to participate in a single bowl game in his four years there. Plus the loss in scholarships and the $60 million fine. The vacated wins to me to the school isn't that huge of a deal though. If all they did was make them not have a program for one year and come back in 2013 with all scholarships intact, they would have bounced back a lot faster that way. Now combine the two (death penalty and the above sanctions) that would have been a real stiff penalty.
    Life is good!

Quote Originally Posted by Soriambi View Post
    Division 1-A, yep. He has 377, which is 79 more than Paterno now has.
    Though counting FBS and FCS (or I-A and I-AA) as Division I, Eddie Robinson is the all-time leader again, at 408.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    I do, what top recruit will go there knowing that he will not even have a chance to participate in a single bowl game in his four years there. Plus the loss in scholarships and the $60 million fine. The vacated wins to me to the school isn't that huge of a deal though. If all they did was make them not have a program for one year and come back in 2013 with all scholarships intact, they would have bounced back a lot faster that way. Now combine the two (death penalty and the above sanctions) that would have been a real stiff penalty.
    I will be curious to see who transfers at this late date. If they lose a significant number of sophomores and juniors it could have a big impact.

Thread Information