+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Happy Summer!! b-ball-lunachick's Avatar

2012 Non-Yankee Trade Rumors/Discussion Thread

We usually have a non-Yankee one in Around the Majors...

For those that don't have ESPN INsider, Dave Cameron from FanGraphs had the 5 AL trades that must happen:

Trade No. 1: Miami Marlins third baseman Hanley Ramirez, starting pitcher Anibal Sanchez and second baseman Omar Infante to Detroit Tigers for third baseman Nick Castellanos, starting pitcher Jacob Turner and outfielder Delmon Young.

Trade No. 2: Milwaukee Brewers starting pitcher Zack Greinke to Texas Rangers for outfielder Leonys Martin, starting pitcher Neil Ramirez and second baseman Rougned Odor

Trade No 3:
    Chicago Cubs starting pitcher Ryan Dempster to Los Angeles Angels for shortstop/second baseman Jean Segura

Trade No. 4: Seattle Mariners starting pitcher Kevin Millwood and catcher Miguel Olivo to Chicago White Sox for catcher Tyler Flowers

The 5th one was Yankee related so I put it in ITL. If anyone wants the case he makes for any of these, just let me know.

Re: 2012 Non-Yankee Trade Rumors/Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by b-ball-lunachick View Post
    second baseman Rougned Odor
    God, I hope that kid makes it. That's one of the most fantastic names I've ever seen.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_mlb&c_id=mlb
    The Astros and Blue Jays completed a 10-player trade on Friday, with Houston getting seven players and sending three pitchers to Toronto.

The Blue Jays, whose pitching staff has been decimated by injuries this season, received left-hander J.A. Happ and right-handers Brandon Lyon and David Carpenter. The Astros acquired two Major League players -- reliever Francisco Cordero and outfielder Ben Francisco -- as well as four Minor Leaguers: right-handers Asher Wojciechowski and Joe Musgrove, left-hander David Rollins and catcher Carlos Perez. The Astros also will receive a player to be named later.

NYYF Legend

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201....ap/index.html
    DETROIT (AP) -- The Chicago White Sox acquired Houston reliever Brett Myers on Saturday for two minor league pitchers and a player to be named.
    Myers had 19 saves and a 3.52 ERA for the Astros this season and will try to bolster an inexperienced Chicago bullpen. Addison Reed, Chicago's 23-year-old closer, has 15 saves but a 4.24 ERA. Rookie Nate Jones has a 3.57 ERA in 35 appearances.
    White Sox general manager Kenny Williams said Myers would not be Chicago's closer.
    "In no way, for (manager Robin Ventura) or myself or in any way, is this a lack of confidence in Addison Reed," Williams said.
    The White Sox entered Saturday's game at Detroit with a half-game lead on the Tigers atop the AL Central.
    "It's time to make a push," Williams said. "He's an intense competitor. He makes our bullpen better."
    The Astros are in last place in the NL Central and had little need to keep Myers, a 31-year-old right-hander. Houston receives right-hander Matt Heidenreich and left-hander Blair Walters. Chicago also receives cash considerations from Houston in the deal.

The Detroit Tigers made another aggressive move Monday, acquiring second baseman Omar Infante and right-hander Anibal Sanchez from Miami in exchange for 21-year-old righty Jacob Turner and two minor leaguers.
    http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/81...-miami-marlins

From Olney/ESPN Insider:

"Dempster has been gracious in his public statements, saying that he would waive his no-trade clause in order to help the Cubs do what they need to do. But some rival general managers and agents wonder if Dempster would actually embrace a trade to a team like the Red Sox. The Cubs are expected to trade Dempster very soon, and the Los Angeles Dodgers continue to be viewed as the favorites to land him. Pitching in the relatively weak National League West, in a pitcher's park, would probably be a good thing for Dempster."

I thought the Braves were the favorite?

Quote Originally Posted by b-ball-lunachick View Post
    From Olney/ESPN Insider:

"Dempster has been gracious in his public statements, saying that he would waive his no-trade clause in order to help the Cubs do what they need to do. But some rival general managers and agents wonder if Dempster would actually embrace a trade to a team like the Red Sox. The Cubs are expected to trade Dempster very soon, and the Los Angeles Dodgers continue to be viewed as the favorites to land him. Pitching in the relatively weak National League West, in a pitcher's park, would probably be a good thing for Dempster."

I thought the Braves were the favorite?

I still doubt the sox make a decent pickup. They know they're not a Demptster away right now, but need to show they tried.
    Team Northern Lights

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    I still doubt the sox make a decent pickup. They know they're not a Demptster away right now, but need to show they tried.
    Agree, but I'd like to see them trade a prospect or two for a mediocre player that doesn't make a difference
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    Agree, but I'd like to see them trade a prospect or two for a mediocre player that doesn't make a difference
    true...but aren't most of their good prospects in A ball?

per @Ken_Rosenthal:

Dodgers have acquired Hanley Ramirez and Choate from Marlins for Eovaldi and a minor leaguer. Game changes in LA. Marlins selling.

NYYF Legend

Wow, they gave him up for nothing
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

NYYF Legend

bw, jeff loria showing what a despicable person he is, yet again
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

holy ................ hanley
    always reasonable

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

Eovaldi is a good young pitcher, but it does seem light to acquire Hanley.

Edit: Although Hanley has been underwhelming going on 2 years now.
    Fistpumping like a champion.

NYYF Triple Crown

I can't help but think a change of scenery to LA (where fans will love him regardless of temperament, a la Manny...) would do wonders for Hanley...

The guy is 28, in his prime, has 2 years left on his contract (through 2014) and can play SS or 3B, two positions that LA needs help at

Also, batting with Kemp and Ethier around him?

Eovaldi is a good prospect.... but seriously? Giving him up for a a guy who a few years ago was one of the top SS's in the game and is still in his prime and can be a big impact on your team is a no brainer

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by flymick24 View Post
    How the mighty have fallen...

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by flymick24 View Post
    It makes 'ya wonder, doesn't it? A brand new stadium, the gadgets, promos, rainbow unis, circus HR sculpture and now this.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 35Knucklecurve View Post
    It makes 'ya wonder, doesn't it? A brand new stadium, the gadgets, promos, rainbow unis, circus HR sculpture and now this.
    It also tells me they weren't overwhelmed with fantastic offers.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by ChewieTobbacca View Post
    I can't help but think a change of scenery to LA (where fans will love him regardless of temperament, a la Manny...) would do wonders for Hanley...

The guy is 28, in his prime, has 2 years left on his contract (through 2014) and can play SS or 3B, two positions that LA needs help at

Also, batting with Kemp and Ethier around him?

Eovaldi is a good prospect.... but seriously? Giving him up for a a guy who a few years ago was one of the top SS's in the game and is still in his prime and can be a big impact on your team is a no brainer
    Maybe Hanley will bounce back, but I am not sure this guy is still "in his prime."

It looks like he peaked offensively in 2009.

We are talking about a pretty large sample size of him no longer being as good as he once was.

Just because he is still somewhat young does not mean he will return to form.

Would be interested in the price for JJ.

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by SubwayFanatic View Post
    Maybe Hanley will bounce back, but I am not sure this guy is still "in his prime."

It looks like he peaked offensively in 2009.

We are talking about a pretty large sample size of him no longer being as good as he once was.

Just because he is still somewhat young does not mean he will return to form.
    That's true, but he was also injured for a large chunk of last year

He's still relatively young, and he's in the years which *should* be his prime, so if he even bounces back anywhere close to where he was a few years ago, he'd be a massive upgrade over:

Dee Gordon .229/.280/.282, 57 OPS+
    Juan Uribe .190/.250/.293, 50 OPS+

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by jcarey View Post
    Would be interested in the price for JJ.
    A lot.
    "Never, never, never quit."-Winston Churchill.

Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    Sounds like he's saying "more more more more" as in trying to work out whatever. It is funny though.

I cannot believe that LA gave up almost nothing to get him. Even if his value is down the upside he has is among the elite in the game. I am stunned. Not at the trade but the price.
    Thank you, 2013-2014 New York Rangers for a great season!

NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    Sounds like he's saying "more more more more" as in trying to work out whatever. It is funny though.

I cannot believe that LA gave up almost nothing to get him. Even if his value is down the upside he has is among the elite in the game. I am stunned. Not at the trade but the price.
    I can't watch the clip here..but while I think his production will go up with a change of scenery, he's still a big PITA.

I heard Kasten (sp?) on the MLB radio channel this morning...he was so gung ho and he was comparing it to when Sheffield came to Atlanta and how he talked to him first and did the same with Hanley...he gave nice props to Donnie for a good atmosphere in the clubhouse..I hope he doesn't give Donnie crap!

He also said at least 3 times how the Dodgers have the best history in baseball as a franchise - did he forget about the Yankees?

Thread Information