+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1

    GWB Experience with Current Construction

    We have a thread outlining alternatives to the Stadium from NJ, but I want to know what has been the experience of going to games using the GWB. Please post what time you were crossing being it a day or night game and what the traffic was like. Did you stick with it to the Deegan? Did you decide to get off at either the West Side Highway, University Ave, or Harlem River Dr to get out of the traffic? Inquiring minds want to know.

  2. #2

    Re: GWB Experience with Current Construction

    I went to the game last night and there was an 90 minute delay at the upper level due to a disabled truck and 40 minutes at the lower level. I took the local approach and got to the line-up at 4:55. I stayed in the lanes leading to the lower level and just before I reached the Palisades exit I heard on the radio the disabled truck on the upper level was cleared. I took the upper level to the Major Deegan andI was parked around 5:30. Check www.511nj.org, listen to traffic reports and have options planned ahead a time.

  3. #3

    Re: GWB Experience with Current Construction

    Any other experiences out there with the construction that was supposed to wreak havoc with crossing the GWB and Alexander Hamilton into the Bronx. Based on the lack of replies on this thread, I'm guessing that all the predictions were hype.

  4. #4

    Re: GWB Experience with Current Construction

    No, I don't think it was hype--I always leave very early, so it wasn't a huge inconvenience, but the lane on the Cross Bronx that is usually two lanes narrows to one for a short stretch and with the traffic volume, that's a problem. Traffic moved very slowly for a good 10-15 minutes where I usually just breeze through. If you leave very early, and there are no other traffic disasters, you should be all right.

  5. #5

    Re: GWB Experience with Current Construction

    Quote Originally Posted by njyankeesfan View Post
    No, I don't think it was hype--I always leave very early, so it wasn't a huge inconvenience, but the lane on the Cross Bronx that is usually two lanes narrows to one for a short stretch and with the traffic volume, that's a problem. Traffic moved very slowly for a good 10-15 minutes where I usually just breeze through. If you leave very early, and there are no other traffic disasters, you should be all right.
    Thanks for the heads up. I head up early too & I usually get off at Harlem River Drive or University Ave. When traffic is bad I'll get off for the West Side Highway and make my way across. I was wondering whether traffic would be backed up at the tolls.

  6. #6
    NYYF Cy Young


    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Philly Burbs

    Re: GWB Experience with Current Construction

    I'll be heading to the game this Sat. pretty early (probably crossing the GW around 930 or so) and I am wondering if I should take the Lincoln Tunnel and shoot up that way. I actually checked Google this past Sat. around the same time and it didn't seem to bad (and it was a game day too).

  7. #7
    Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    New Jersey

    Re: GWB Experience with Current Construction

    Quote Originally Posted by MoVaughnEatsAlot View Post
    I'll be heading to the game this Sat. pretty early (probably crossing the GW around 930 or so) and I am wondering if I should take the Lincoln Tunnel and shoot up that way. I actually checked Google this past Sat. around the same time and it didn't seem to bad (and it was a game day too).
    If you cross the GW around 930 you should be fine. That's still pretty early.
    I took the GW to the game last sat vs the Sox & I crossed it about 145 (4pm game) & I was fine.

  8. #8
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    West Nyack New York

    Re: GWB Experience with Current Construction

    I go this way.. >>> go down the Harlem River. Exit at 142 street. Swing around and go over the 145 street bridge. Make a left and go up and park in any lot..... Going home I go back across Harlem on 145 street to riverside drive and take that up to the gwb

  9. #9

    Re: GWB Experience with Current Construction

    How is this possible? It takes me more time than that to get to the stadium from Wayne NJ.
    The excerpt below is from today's ESPN article on Joba's activation from the DL (as he pulled into the Waterfront Park in Trenton).

    Chamberlain left Waterfront Park at around 4:15 p.m., according to the Thunder's official Twitter account, and arrived at Yankee Stadium at approximately 5:35.

    "Thank goodness there as no traffic," said Chamberlain, who took the George Washington Bridge to the Bronx instead of the tunnel on the advice of his Twitter followers

  10. #10
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    West Nyack New York

    Re: GWB Experience with Current Construction

    Quote Originally Posted by coeng View Post
    How is this possible? It takes me more time than that to get to the stadium from Wayne NJ.
    The excerpt below is from today's ESPN article on Joba's activation from the DL (as he pulled into the Waterfront Park in Trenton).

    Chamberlain left Waterfront Park at around 4:15 p.m., according to the Thunder's official Twitter account, and arrived at Yankee Stadium at approximately 5:35.

    "Thank goodness there as no traffic," said Chamberlain, who took the George Washington Bridge to the Bronx instead of the tunnel on the advice of his Twitter followers
    he had to be doing 80 plus mph....

  11. #11
    NYYF Cy Young

    Sparky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    New Jersey

    Re: GWB Experience with Current Construction

    Quote Originally Posted by coeng View Post
    How is this possible? It takes me more time than that to get to the stadium from Wayne NJ.
    The excerpt below is from today's ESPN article on Joba's activation from the DL (as he pulled into the Waterfront Park in Trenton).

    Chamberlain left Waterfront Park at around 4:15 p.m., according to the Thunder's official Twitter account, and arrived at Yankee Stadium at approximately 5:35.

    "Thank goodness there as no traffic," said Chamberlain, who took the George Washington Bridge to the Bronx instead of the tunnel on the advice of his Twitter followers
    Quote Originally Posted by thecaptain View Post
    he had to be doing 80 plus mph....
    I live 5 minutes from Waterfront Park and it takes me ~ 1 hour to get to EWR. It's about an hour and 45 min to the Stadium with no traffic. 80 indeed. With an escort.

  12. #12

    Re: GWB Experience with Current Construction

    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    I live 5 minutes from Waterfront Park and it takes me ~ 1 hour to get to EWR. It's about an hour and 45 min to the Stadium with no traffic. 80 indeed. With an escort.
    Just crossing the GWB and CBE alone takes over an hour easily, especially with the ongoing construction.

  13. #13
    Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    New Jersey

    Re: GWB Experience with Current Construction

    Quote Originally Posted by coeng View Post
    How is this possible? It takes me more time than that to get to the stadium from Wayne NJ.
    The excerpt below is from today's ESPN article on Joba's activation from the DL (as he pulled into the Waterfront Park in Trenton).

    Chamberlain left Waterfront Park at around 4:15 p.m., according to the Thunder's official Twitter account, and arrived at Yankee Stadium at approximately 5:35.

    "Thank goodness there as no traffic," said Chamberlain, who took the George Washington Bridge to the Bronx instead of the tunnel on the advice of his Twitter followers
    I live in Wayne too. I take 80East & stay local.
    However I get on the road early, because we tailgate.
    Last Sat (vs Red Sox) - I left Wayne about 1:20-1:30 & got to the water lots by 2:10.
    This upcoming Sat, I plan on leaving 10-1030.
    I haven't had any trouble all year, even with the construction. Knock on Wood.

  14. #14
    NYYF Legend

    nhyankeefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    New Hampshire

    Re: GWB Experience with Current Construction

    We took the GWB to the game on Friday around 5:00. There was a delay getting there due to an accident/breakdown but getting across it wasn't a problem. We took the Deegan once we crossed and made it to YS by 5:30 or so.

  15. #15
    Bazinga Hitman23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Long Island

    Re: GWB Experience with Current Construction

    hmmm.... is this another reincarnation?
    NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts