+ Reply to Thread
    NYYF Legend

Pitcher to start 3 consecutive games?

Zach Greinke started 3 consecutive games for the Brewers. It was a bit odd as he was ejected after 2 pitches on Saturday, started the game on Sunday then the Crew had 4 days off for the ASB and he satrted on Friday so 3 consecutive games.

When was the last time a pitcher started a teams 3 consecutive games?
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Re: Pitcher to start 3 consecutive games?

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Zach Greinke started 3 consecutive games for the Brewers. It was a bit odd as he was ejected after 2 pitches on Saturday, started the game on Sunday then the Crew had 4 days off for the ASB and he satrted on Friday so 3 consecutive games.

When was the last time a pitcher started a teams 3 consecutive games?
    My guess it is that is was a very long time ago. I know that Wilbur Wood started both games of a doubleheader against the Yankees in 1973 - and lost both - but 3 in a row is impressive.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    My guess it is that is was a very long time ago. I know that Wilbur Wood started both games of a doubleheader against the Yankees in 1973 - and lost both - but 3 in a row is impressive.
    I know Walter Johnson started 3 of 4 games in a series against the Yankees one time looong ago. I'm sure in the days when Al Spaulding was throwing 500+ innings it wasn't that uncommon but since the turn of the centry I'd suspect it is quite, quite rare. And by turn of the century I'm not talking about Y2K.
    Baseball is life;

http://www.foxsportswisconsin.com/07...blockID=757918

The last pitcher to start three consecutive games for his team was Cleveland's Sam McDowell on Oct. 3, 1965 and April 11 and 15, 1966. According to Elias Sports Bureau, the last time a pitcher started three straight games in one season was in 1917. Red Faber of the Chicago White Sox pitched both games of a doubleheader Sept. 13, 1917 and came back to start again Sept. 14, 1917.
    Whatever you think...
    Well, you're wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    I know Walter Johnson started 3 of 4 games in a series against the Yankees one time looong ago. I'm sure in the days when Al Spaulding was throwing 500+ innings it wasn't that uncommon but since the turn of the centry I'd suspect it is quite, quite rare. And by turn of the century I'm not talking about Y2K.
    Apparently the last pitcher to do it was Red Faber in 1917: http://content.usatoday.com/communit...1#.UARrNZH3BxA
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

Thanks. cool bit of trivia on all fronts.
    Baseball is life;

Sudden Sam.

Also, how is this not an Evan J Thread?
    Whatever you think...
    Well, you're wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    Also, how is this not an Evan J Thread?
    Too obvious for him.
    - Barry Manilow

Harkens back to the idea that Yankee pitchers, or probably any team really but I've heard this about Stengel's staff, didn't know if they were pitching that day until they showed up at the ballpark and a ball was in their shoe! And I'm sure that was applicable to the guy who pitched the day before as well.

Thread Information