View Poll Results: When do you think Gardner will be back?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Late July

1 2.44%
  • August

6 14.63%
  • September

3 7.32%
  • Spring Training, 2013

30 73.17%
  • Later in 2013

1 2.44%
  • Other

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Happy Holidays!! b-ball-lunachick's Avatar

When do you think we'll see Gardner back on the field ?

I really miss Gardner...our bench has played really well in his absence but they are not supposed to play this much. Too many balls that drop in LF for hits that I know he would have gotten to...I just have a bad feeling that we are less and less likely to see him back this year.

When do you think Gardner will be back?

Re: When do you think we'll see Gardner back on the field ?

First comes spring and summer, but then we have fall and winter. And then we get spring and summer again.
    Pardon, for us.

August

NYYF Legend

110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

I'm guessing at Aug too.

I hear there's an opening with the 'dragsters'.... maybe he can catch on there....
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

Mid to late August though a September return wouldn't shock me.

NYYF Legend

I have a feeling that they will shut him down if he has another set back in rehab. I hope I'm wrong,but they don't want to take a chance of more permanent damage to him. They have good replacements on the roster now so why rush him if it isn't necesary.

They just shut him down again today...my gut is right. I tried to be optimistic and say September but I really think it's ST...ugh. If he needs TJ, they should just do it already...

Quote Originally Posted by b-ball-lunachick View Post
    They just shut him down again today...my gut is right. I tried to be optimistic and say September but I really think it's ST...ugh. If he needs TJ, they should just do it already...
    Link? I thought they said they were just going to wait and see how he was tomorrow? And what brings TJS into the discussion? Isn't this a muscle problem? Did I miss a diagnosis?

Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    Link? I thought they said they were just going to wait and see how he was tomorrow? And what brings TJS into the discussion? Isn't this a muscle problem? Did I miss a diagnosis?
    No you didn't miss anything...PWW (posting while working) made it sound a bit more panicky...sorry about that. I just heard while i was working that he was shut down again and i quickly added a post...it is just not looking that good for this year IMHO...

here's the actual report.

Brett Gardner's chances of missing the remainder of the season increased Monday when it was revealed that the New York Yankees outfielder once again experienced pain in his injured right elbow.

Gardner, who has played in just nine games this season, felt stiffness in the elbow after playing in a simulated game Sunday.

Gardner's agent, Joe Bick, acknowledged the possibility that his client might not play again in 2012.

"We don't want to think that way, but it's certainly got to be in the conversation," Bick said. "The severity of this injury has caught us completely off-guard."

According to Bick, Gardner likely will undergo another MRI -- he has already had at least two in addition to an examination by Dr. James Andrews, the renowned orthopedic surgeon who specializes in elbow repair and Tommy John surgery -- probably on Tuesday.
    http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/stor...mainder-season

NYYF Legend

I seriously doubt Gardner comes back at all this year, I mean this many setbacks usually means surgery is coming
    The real reason why the Yankees keep winning is cause the other team can't stop staring at the damn pinstripes

NYYF Legend

He probably needs an elbow replacement.

I agree with Cashman, the Yankees have probably been a better team this year without Brett Gardner and thats not a knock on Brett Gardner, its simply acknowledging that Jones and Ibanez have been a great R/L platoon in left.

IMO there's no way the Yankees have the same amount of wins without Jones and Ibanez playing regularly.

As for the question, with this latest setback I don't think we see Gardner again this year.

Whatever it is I hope they figure it out and he gets it fixed, but I don't suspect he'll be back this year.
    "Owning the Yankees is like owning the Mona Lisa." -- George M. Steinbrenner III

ST. I'd love to him have on the playoff roster as a defensive replacement/pinch runner but that seems unlikely (although the bad arm is his non-throwing arm). Looks like surgery for him.
    "We understand that John Henry must be embarrassed, frustrated and disappointed by his failure in this transaction. Unlike the Yankees, he chose not to go the extra distance for his fans in Boston."

Quote Originally Posted by Battingly View Post
    I agree with Cashman, the Yankees have probably been a better team this year without Brett Gardner and thats not a knock on Brett Gardner, its simply acknowledging that Jones and Ibanez have been a great R/L platoon in left.
    Cashman said that they haven't missed him, not that they are a better team without him. I took his comments to mean that even though they would love to have him, they have the best record in baseball right now and the other players have stepped up..he is publicly saying he believes in Jones/Ibanez - partly to give a vote of confidence to them because they've played well and partly to portray to other GMs that he's not desperate for an OF'er...I don't for a second think Cashman thinks they are a better team without Gardner ...

What exactly is Gardner's injury? Is it muscular? Is is a ligament or tendon? I keep hearing elbow injury, but very few specifics.

Quote Originally Posted by b-ball-lunachick View Post

I don't for a second think Cashman thinks they are a better team without Gardner ...
    Please, lets not make Brett Gardner out to be Rickey Henderson.

The Yankees would have nowhere's near the production they have received from Jones and Ibanez in LF if Gardner was in LF all year instead.

NOWHERE'S NEAR

I hate to say that about a guy when he's hurt, but thats just the reality of the situation.

Cashman is right, we haven't missed Gardner, and the reason we haven't missed him is the 23 HR's and 62 RBI's we've gotten from the R/L Platoon of Jones and Ibanez in left, many of which have been clutch HR's and RBI's in big spots.

If one guy played LF and put up those numbers, he would have been an all-star.
    Last edited by Battingly; 07-17-12 at 01:06 PM.
    "Owning the Yankees is like owning the Mona Lisa." -- George M. Steinbrenner III

NYYF Legend

I voted for Spring Training, 2013. Rest hasn't helped and there have been too many setbacks. There doesn't seem to be a concensus on exactly is causing his elbow problem, so it seems like they're just relying on the outcome of each session. I like Gardy and I was hoping for the best, but I'd be surprised to see him on the field this year.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

The Yankees would have nowhere's near the production they have received from Jones and Ibanez in LF if Gardner was in LF all year instead.

NOWHERE'S NEAR

I hate to say that about a guy when he's hurt, but thats just the reality of the situation.

Cashman is right, we haven't missed Gardner, and the reason we haven't missed him is the 22 HR's and 58 RBI's we've gotten from the R/L Platoon of Jones and Ibanez in left, many of which have been clutch HR's and RBI's in big spots.

those guys would have played a lot anyway. we have missed brett because his D in left is so good and so is his OBP for someone who hits ninth a lot.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

Quote Originally Posted by ajra21 View Post
    those guys would have played a lot anyway. we have missed brett because his D in left is so good and so is his OBP for someone who hits ninth a lot.
    Agreed...also, it would have allowed Girardi to rest Granderson in certain spots (as well as Swisher) and Andrew and Ibanez would have still got their ABs and would be more fresh for the second half...
    Last edited by b-ball-lunachick; 07-17-12 at 02:12 PM.

NYYF Legend

Shouldn't we wait for the MRI results before we cut him open and shut him down for the season?
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Shouldn't we wait for the MRI results before we cut him open and shut him down for the season?
    well the poll sort of took a sharp turn there...when I put it up yesterday it was before he was shut down.

There are two or three games we would have won had we had Gardner's D. Ibanez is a butcher in the OF.
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

NOWHERE'S NEAR

Cashman is right, we haven't missed Gardner, and the reason we haven't missed him is the 22 HR's and 58 RBI's we've gotten from the R/L Platoon of Jones and Ibanez in left, many of which have been clutch HR's and RBI's in big spots.

Yankee LFers have hit .234/.305/.435 with 15 home runs and 40 RBIs.

Quote Originally Posted by RenoHightower View Post
    Yankee LFers have hit .234/.305/.435 with 15 home runs and 40 RBIs.
    Which is more homers than Gardner would have hit in an entire season.
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

Thread Information