+ Reply to Thread

GWB to CBE alternate from NJ?

I need a way to get to the stadium without taking the GWB to Cross Bronx for a mid-week day game in August. I sat in 2 hours crossing the GWB to the last game we went to in June and that was before they recently announced the construction for the Alexander Hamilton bridge, so that route will only be much worse. Its just me and my boys with me so for that reason along I don't want to take mass transit...I feel safer in my car. I am actually considering taking the Tappan Zee to Deegan. Its a much longer route but possibly quicker considering the traffic nightmare.

Suggestions?

Re: GWB to CBE alternate from NJ?

The Deegan will back up coming down from the TZB trying to get onto the CB going east. You could try the Saw Mill to the Henry Hudson, then get off at exit 13, which will take you to 158th st, take that to Broadway, turn right, then turn left onto 155th and across the Macombs Dam Bridge to the Stadium. Not sure where you're coming from, but you could also take the Lincoln Tunnel, get to the Westside Highway and follow that to exit 13 and the rest is the same.
    "Bacon, The Candy of Meats"

Quote Originally Posted by RayG View Post
    Not sure where you're coming from, but you could also take the Lincoln Tunnel, get to the Westside Highway and follow that to exit 13 and the rest is the same.
    Coming from Wayne area. How to get to Westside Hwy after tunnel?

Quote Originally Posted by RayG View Post
    The Deegan will back up coming down from the TZB trying to get onto the CB going east. You could try the Saw Mill to the Henry Hudson, then get off at exit 13, which will take you to 158th st, take that to Broadway, turn right, then turn left onto 155th and across the Macombs Dam Bridge to the Stadium. Not sure where you're coming from, but you could also take the Lincoln Tunnel, get to the Westside Highway and follow that to exit 13 and the rest is the same.
    You could also try the Lincoln Tunnel. Drive crosstown, take the FDR / HR Drives north to the Willis Avenue Bridge, then take teh Deegan north to the Grand Concourse Exit... I avoid the 149th St exit because the light at the bottom of the ramp is a killer.

I'd also check Google maps / traffic to see how the traffic is before you leave for the game.

Cheers!
    -Doug

Looking for the simplest route. Not all that familiar with anything above mid-town.

Quote Originally Posted by coeng View Post
    Coming from Wayne area. How to get to Westside Hwy after tunnel?
    Whatever way you exit the tunnel, follow any sign to a west bound street (39, 41, 43)..42 nd is two way. Take any of these one block past 11th Avenue and this becomes the west side highway (12th Ave with lights until 57th st).

You can cut across Manhattan at 145th street or 155th Street (shorter)

Simplest way would be to really keep an eye on conditions on that day. Example is this AM, nobody using the bridge, so it was clear sailing. Now, tomorrow will be a clusterfeck because everyone will say- "Hey, nobody was using the bridge yesterday, we should be good" and whammo; you'll be socked in for hours. Never use the upper deck and/or try the 46 approach as an alternate to the 80/95 approaches. Leave a bit earlier and plan the approach accordingly- exit for the Henry Hudson south instead of going all the way to the construction area and take exit 13. Or go to the east side and take the Harlem River Dr. to exit 23 (I think) and then turn left on 155th and across the MDB that way.

Coming from Wayne, the TZB would be an EXTREME detour and certainly take longer than any of the other options. After a month or so, the situation will stabilize and the call as to which way to go will be apparent. Trick is to keep up with the situation in the mean time instead of waiting until that morning to see what traffic is like. If it's an extra 10 minutes (average) on a midweek day at 11am, that's hardly cause for panic. But trying to get there at 12:30 for a 1pm game wouldn't be prudent either. The earlier the better to have as many options as possible.

NYYF Cy Young

Lincoln Tunnel exit.jpgHH Pkwy.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by mandrake View Post
    Whatever way you exit the tunnel, follow any sign to a west bound street (39, 41, 43)..42 nd is two way. Take any of these one block past 11th Avenue and this becomes the west side highway (12th Ave with lights until 57th st).

You can cut across Manhattan at 145th street or 155th Street (shorter)
    When exiting the Lincoln Tunnel, are there signs for the Westside Highway so one does not have to "find" a westbound street? Also, do you need to be in a certain Tube/set of lanes? I recall that sometimes they setup cones that split the two Tubes on the NYC.
    Last edited by Sparky; 07-16-12 at 11:48 AM. Reason: added maps

come out of the tunnel and stay to the left, once on Dyer Ave. Straight ahead will be a large parking garage, there is a sign to the Westside Hiway with an arrow pointing LEFT. that's 42nd St. take that to 12th Avenue and turn right. it will then change to the "Joe DiMaggio" highway (Henry Hudson/West side highway) around 55/57th st.

Forum Regular

We have done an assortment of routes and it all depends on how the traffic is moving that day. Most commonly we have taken the Harlem River drive exit, just under the appartments, then get over to the right as soon as possible to get up to the MDB. Have also done this going down Amsterdam to MDB.

Leaving the stadium we always go back MDB to Amsterdam and then hop on the GWB.
    former 10 yr plan holder, now on the Hub

NYYF Legend

Always check google maps on your phone with the traffic option turned on as you're driving (have a passenger do it). It's really good, because among other things, it calculates the driving speed of all their android users on all the roads using GPS and so it knows where speeds are normal or at a crawl. Sometimes there is no good option, but there is always the hellish option you want to avoid at all costs

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    Always check google maps on your phone with the traffic option turned on as you're driving (have a passenger do it). It's really good, because among other things, it calculates the driving speed of all their android users on all the roads using GPS and so it knows where speeds are normal or at a crawl. Sometimes there is no good option, but there is always the hellish option you want to avoid at all costs
    Man, I need an upgrade from my flip phone. For now I'll depend on 880 or 1010 AM traffic reports.

Forum Regular

This is what we do, one of us driving and the other checking out the traffic, from Rte 46, GWB, all the way to the stadium.
    former 10 yr plan holder, now on the Hub

37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

Buy a TomTom XL350 TM.

The TM means Traffic and Maps. You get 4 maps updates a year, free, to ensure you have the most complete road maps possible.

The Traffic means LIVE TRAFFIC updates. We went from Philadelphia to Long Island, and the GPS was continuously telling us things like "The traffic delay on your route is 20 minutes. I have a route 15 minutes faster. Do you want to take the faster route?" with a YES or NO button. (Once it said the Delay was 70 minutes, and it found a route 65 minutes faster. We hit the YES button so fast I thought we would punch a hole in the screen.)

It is a wonderful timesaver and worth the investment.

And a lot safer than using your phone to do the same thing.

Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Big_E View Post
    Buy a TomTom XL350 TM.

The TM means Traffic and Maps. You get 4 maps updates a year, free, to ensure you have the most complete road maps possible.

The Traffic means LIVE TRAFFIC updates. We went from Philadelphia to Long Island, and the GPS was continuously telling us things like "The traffic delay on your route is 20 minutes. I have a route 15 minutes faster. Do you want to take the faster route?" with a YES or NO button. (Once it said the Delay was 70 minutes, and it found a route 65 minutes faster. We hit the YES button so fast I thought we would punch a hole in the screen.)

It is a wonderful timesaver and worth the investment.

And a lot safer than using your phone to do the same thing.
    You can get unlimited free updates by downloading torrents online

You can get unlimited free updates by downloading torrents online
    But how often are there new roads? I understand what you mean, but 4 updates a year is plenty. And 4 more than the people without the free updates get.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_E View Post
    But how often are there new roads?
    In the tri-state area? Probably not that often. But I have driven through a corn field on a four lane divided highway in other places. My GPS didn't know about a new bypass.

Cheers!
    -Doug

NYYF Legend

They should start Yankee games later than 7pm to allow all those fans coming from NJ the time to get to the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Sixty one View Post
    They should start Yankee games later than 7pm to allow all those fans coming from NJ the time to get to the game.
    So what time do you want them getting home so they can get up and go to work in the morning? Granted I live in Orange County NY, but I consider getting home before midnight as "making great time" when you consider when the game ends, getting the car on the highway(s) and driving home.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by Sixty one View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mandrake View Post
    So what time do you want them getting home so they can get up and go to work in the morning? Granted I live in Orange County NY, but I consider getting home before midnight as "making great time" when you consider when the game ends, getting the car on the highway(s) and driving home.
    Years ago the games started at 8pm - and ending 11-11:30pm and getting home at 1am.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    Years ago the games started at 8pm - and ending 11-11:30pm and getting home at 1am.
    No, years ago the games started at 8pm and ended between 10:00 and 10:30

As the games got longer, the start times got earlier, all to get them over with by 10:30

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    You mean CURRENTLY the Sunday night games start at 8pm, end around 11:30pm-12:30am and getting home at 1:30am.

Has anyone tried the GWB to CBE to MD route since construction began? Want to see how bad it really is.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by coeng View Post
    Has anyone tried the GWB to CBE to MD route since construction began? Want to see how bad it really is.
    We now have 2 threads that are talking about each others topic.

http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread...t-Construction

NYYF Legend

I go this way.. >>> go down the Harlem River. Exit at 142 street. Swing around and go over the 145 street bridge. Make a left and go up and park in any lot..... Going home I go back across Harlem on 145 street to riverside drive and take that up to the gwb

Thread Information