+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Selig may change rules of HR Derby

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/stor...on-cano-booing

"We'll talk about this (potential rule change)," Selig said during his annual session with the Baseball Writers Association of America. "While I understand (the feelings of fans in) Kansas City ... I felt very badly last night. I felt badly last year for Prince. This was tough."
    Forget the hometown thing-- let's make it Little League rules-- everyone bats.

I hate whining and now I hate KC. More so than I did in the 80s.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

NYYF Legend

Re: Selig may change rules of HR Derby

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/stor...on-cano-booing

Forget the hometown thing-- let's make it Little League rules-- everyone bats.

I hate whining and now I hate KC. More so than I did in the 80s.
    he's caught in the middle because he knows without the captains, they were begging people to do it...and with the captains recruiting their peers, they had participation...i guess they thought that hometown fans that were hosting the event would be gracious hosts which they obviously underestimated...so let's cave to their behavior and leave a spot for the hometown guy?

what if the mets only have one representative next year and he's not a HR hitter or a pitcher? or if the person they pick is having injury problems and prefers not to do it? just stupid...

NYYF Legend

Torre weighs in:

I was sad to have that," said Joe Torre, MLB's executive vice president of baseball operations. "People are proud of their players. I know Robbie, obviously, and this is supposed to be fun. That probably kept it from being a lot of fun for him. I'm sorry about that."

Cano chose Fielder, Jose Bautista and Mark Trumbo to join him on the AL team. After being named captain last month, Cano said he would choose a Royals hitter if one was named to the All-Star team, but the Yankees' second baseman was forced to select his squad before the All-Stars were announced.

"It's not that easy, because the guys that were on the field were certainly more than credible," Torre said. "You can't satisfy everybody. Unfortunately it fell on his shoulders because he's the American League guy and Billy Butler is local."
    So he was forced to pick his team before he knew Butler was picked? that is a good point as he had to say who his team was the day after rosters were announced...interesting..

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/yan...home-run-derby

NYYF Cy Young

I don't know how many home runs they had as of when Cano picked Prince Fielder, but Butler does currently have 1 more home run than Fielder. The only three Royals who I think deserved any consideration as the team's All-Star are Butler, Mike Moustakas, and Jonathan Broxton. Baseball-reference says Moustakas leads the Royals in WAR, but most of Butler's offensive numbers look better than Moustakas's to me, and Butler is more famous than Moustakas, who is in his second season, albeit with neither of them being extremely famous. Broxton, who was an All-Star in 2009 and 2010, has 21 saves and a 1.99 ERA.

Who the hell wants to watch Ike Davis/Lucas Duda take batting practice?*

*assuming Wright doesn't come back. Dumb as all hell.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by EvanJ View Post
    I don't know how many home runs they had as of when Cano picked Prince Fielder, but Butler does currently have 1 more home run than Fielder. The only three Royals who I think deserved any consideration as the team's All-Star are Butler, Mike Moustakas, and Jonathan Broxton. Baseball-reference says Moustakas leads the Royals in WAR, but most of Butler's offensive numbers look better than Moustakas's to me, and Butler is more famous than Moustakas, who is in his second season, albeit with neither of them being extremely famous. Broxton, who was an All-Star in 2009 and 2010, has 21 saves and a 1.99 ERA.
    The problem is, how was he to know Butler would be going to the ASG? He knew Fielder was going because he was leading in the fan vote...

if it meant so much to those idiotic fans, why not put your voice into your votes so your home town player would be guaranteed a spot on the team?

Don't call it a comeback False1's Avatar

Sure, but Fielder is an indisputably prodigious HR hitter. Butler - not so much. When you think about a guy that routinely hits bombs, he doesn't spring to mind. Very nice player - not a true slugger.

Having the captain pick the participants seems really stupid. Actually, the Home Run Derby seems really stupid to begin with. Just get rid of it altogether; then just get rid of the whole All-Star Game and break.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Having the captain pick the participants seems really stupid. Actually, the Home Run Derby seems really stupid to begin with. Just get rid of it altogether; then just get rid of the whole All-Star Game and break.
    Best idea yet.
    Life is good!

Quote Originally Posted by b-ball-lunachick View Post
    The problem is, how was he to know Butler would be going to the ASG? He knew Fielder was going because he was leading in the fan vote...

if it meant so much to those idiotic fans, why not put your voice into your votes so your home town player would be guaranteed a spot on the team?
    I wasn't aware of the rule stating only players invited to the ASG can participate in the homerun derby. That could be true, but wasn't Albert asked by Cano, but refused because he wasn't selected to the game?
    At least, I thought I read that in a thread here. And to your second point, those so called "idiotic" fans in KC are severely outnumbered by Yankee and Ranger fans that their votes were basically throwaways.

I thought it was pretty much a forgone conclusion that Butler would be at the game. He's pretty much the heart and soul of the Royals lineup.

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

If KC wanted Billy Butler in, then they should have voted for him. Nowadays you don't even have to buy a ticket to a game to vote, you can do it online. Blame themselves.
    Life is good!

Yep, who does or doesn't participate in the HRD is a big deal that BudLite has to deal with while having the joke game determine HFA in the World Series is no problem.
    MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGRESSIVE

NYYF Legend

It may come to that......if Selig is ever replaced. In the meantime, he will try to force fans (and for that matter, players) to buy into what has become a joke. Just hold it in Hawaii like the NFL, only have it between Thanksgiving and Christmas. That should do it.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

I have an idea Bud you *#)*!$&@+%!! a-hole, let the home team fans pick all the participcants and give them a bye to the first round of playoffs if they make it and 1 WS win.

Eff somthing else up you jack-ass!

R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar
    Formerly Brooklyn & Joisey; now just right behind you ... BOO!!!

*BONK*!!!

*gets rid of what's-his-face ... uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ... Santy Claus, that's right*

I say to keep the ASG and HR Derby. Just have that used car salesman do the dirty work. Or have the captain pick players on game day.
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

Hipster talk.

NYYF Legend

I also heard that Selig is considering switching the DH rule for interleague games. He wants pitchers to bat in AL parks while using the DH in NL parks. I sincerely hate that man. It's as if he has the ability to read my thoughts and subsequently do exactly the opposite of what I want.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    I also heard that Selig is considering switching the DH rule for interleague games. He wants pitchers to bat in AL parks while using the DH in NL parks. I sincerely hate that man. It's as if he has the ability to read my thoughts and subsequently do exactly the opposite of what I want.
    If he had any sense (cough, cough), he'd either get rid of the DH altogether or make both leagues use it. The DH rule was orginally meant to help the younger AL catch up to the NL with stats. That ship has sailed and docked. It's like having the younger AFC teams in the NFL able to go for the 2 point conversion after a TD while the older NFC teams only get to kick the point after. When it gets to the Super Bowl, which do you use? There's only one game and it's at a neutral site. Oh, okay, we'll make the All-Star Game count....for next season.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

Do you have a link for that? Not that I doubt you, but would love to see written evidence of what sounds like the most stupid, pointless idea in the history of all time. What possible purpose would that serve?

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    Do you have a link for that? Not that I doubt you, but would love to see written evidence of what sounds like the most stupid, pointless idea in the history of all time. What possible purpose would that serve?
    The purpose is if you live in a place like Minnesota that isn't near an NL team you never get to see a pitcher bat (in person) and if you live in a place like Colorado that isn't near an AL team you never get to see a DH. A Yankee broadcaster (I don't remember who) made that suggestion once. If this discussion continues i think it should get a new topic.

The purpose is if you live in a place like Minnesota that isn't near an NL team you never get to see a pitcher bat
    And you don't want to deprive the fans of that kind of excitement.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

NYYF Legend

Sorry, I don't have a link but they were talking about it on MLB Radio this morning. Completely agree with your sentiment that it is the worst idea in the history of baseball. The hosts on MLB Radio shared that sentiment as well.

The purpose is if you live in a place like Minnesota that isn't near an NL team you never get to see a pitcher bat (in person) and if you live in a place like Colorado that isn't near an AL team you never get to see a DH. A Yankee broadcaster (I don't remember who) made that suggestion once. If this discussion continues i think it should get a new topic.
    Thanks for sharing that. Hadn't thought of that, although it doesn't change my opinion that the idea is stupid and pointless.

NYYF Legend

Thanks for sharing that. Hadn't thought of that, although it doesn't change my opinion that the idea is stupid and pointless.
    I love that this entire concept seems to be based on the premise that no one has TV or the internet in the year 2012.

I love that this entire concept seems to be based on the premise that no one has TV or the internet in the year 2012.
    In all fairness, nothing quite compares to seeing a pitcher strike out in person.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Thread Information