+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 15 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: 2012 Joba Chamberlain Performance Thread

He's walking on egg shells. He hasn't forgotten his first 2 GP.
    No runs/no harm done..........and Mo will forgive him. I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by flymick24 View Post
    what's a cawk?
    Depends if you're in New England or not.
    Pardon, for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Shows Muscle View Post
    Rivera actually had to get up and throw in the 9th inning because this guy couldn't be bothered to throw strikes with a six-run lead. Amazing.
    There was absolutely no reason that Rivera needed to be up and throwing. He did not HAVE to get up. Thats Girardi's stupid brain doing that.

Not excusing Joba's outing because with such a huge lead it wasn't good, but Girardi getting Mo throwing is overthinking. There were only 2 runners on. Joba would have to give up 3 runs and have another guy on base for it to even be in danger. And there were 2 outs. Manager panic.

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Shows Muscle View Post
    Rivera actually had to get up and throw in the 9th inning because this guy couldn't be bothered to throw strikes with a six-run lead. Amazing.
    Joba wasn't good but Girardi panicked and got Mo up. That's one's on the manager.
    DFA ARod.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerkface View Post
    There was absolutely no reason that Rivera needed to be up and throwing. He did not HAVE to get up. Thats Girardi's stupid brain doing that.
    With a power hitter up it could have been 11-9. If that happens you better have Mo ready, not just getting loose. This had nothing to do with Girardi and everything to do with an ineffective reliever.
    Let the kids play.

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    With a power hitter up it could have been 11-9. If that happens you better have Mo ready, not just getting loose. This had nothing to do with Girardi and everything to do with an ineffective reliever.
    I'm with Bub on this.
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

NYYF Legend

pirates will offer him a 3 year deal during the winter... they seem to love yankee cast-offs
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    5 run lead. Why are you relying on your offspeed stuff so much? You can't throw it for strikes, so throw that 95 mph heater down the middle and dare hitters to hit it.
    His confidence is gone. When Joba came up his stuff was crisp and he fed off the power fastball. But since the injury yrs ago his stuff has taken a step back.

NYYF Triple Crown

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

Joba sorta reminds me of John Rocker. Cocky, confident reliever who seemed to be lights out when he came up, then just as quickly evaporated and faded away. Maybe he's got more left and this is just a slow start, but it's been a while since we've since an effective, let alone lights out, Joba.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

The guy throws 95 and was pitching around the Cleveland hitters with a huge lead. The game would never end.

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    No, it did not. That is 100% on Girardi. Major league managers are a cowardly lot, but it takes true panic to get your closer up with 1 out to go and a 5 run lead. Joba wasn't even being hit hard, he was just wild. The odds were so against the indians winning the game that it makes zero sense to get Mariano up.

That's your opinion. Or, if you look at how ineffective Joba has been this season (thusfar) then it would make sense to get your best reliever up and win the game.

That's your opinion. Or, if you look at how ineffective Joba has been this season (thusfar) then it would make sense to get your best reliever up and win the game.
    Win probability was at 99%. They needed to score 5 times just to tie. No, its Girardi being way way way too cautious. Then of course Joba finished the game without giving up 5 runs.

Edit: You can agree with Girardi getting Mo up, but don't put the blame on Joba. Thats just dumb.

Joba has looked like crap so far this season. And he was looking like crap yesterday. I'd get Mo up, too. The bullpen has been crap this season, outside of Mo and DRob. Why risk them losing it?

Joba has looked like crap so far this season. And he was looking like crap yesterday. I'd get Mo up, too. The bullpen has been crap this season, outside of Mo and DRob. Why risk them losing it?
    Because there wasn't much of a risk???? 5 run lead, 1 out. If you're worried about a reliever putting 2 guys on with a 5 run lead then you are an over-worrier. Thats not when you think about preventative practices. Girardi is going to let a guy like D-rob load the bases in a much closer game at some point this season without having Mo up before the damage is even done. A guy is going to blow a much closer game without Mo getting up in a game this season. Getting Mariano up before any runs have even come home, with the Indians down to their final out, and having fans blame JOBA for it is asinine.

Joba has been one of the relievers that has sucked. It's not blaming JOBA, it's blaming Joba/kelley/Logan/eppley. Joba had given up 4 runs in 1.1 IP before yesterday. I'd be getting someone up, too. It's cool to have an opinion, but don't trot it as fact.

Joba has been one of the relievers that has sucked. It's not blaming JOBA, it's blaming Joba/kelley/Logan/eppley. Joba had given up 4 runs in 1.1 IP before yesterday. I'd be getting someone up, too. It's cool to have an opinion, but don't trot it as fact.
    Anyone suggesting that Girardi HAD to get Mo up is doing the trotting. The win probability is on my side. The history of baseball is on my side. Teams very very very rarely win when down 5 with 1 out. Notice that the win probability did not shoot up to even 50% when Joba walked 2 guys. It was not in the realm of a coin flip. It didn't even budge, because its more likely for a team to make 1 out than they are to score 5 runs. They won the game without Mo even having to enter. advantage: this guy.

Okay. That's cool and all. But Joba has sucked and so has the rest of the pen. If the inning got away from Joba, Joe wanted someone in to just finish out the game. That makes sense to me.

I don't know that Rivera getting up is that big a deal, even coming off the injury last season and another year older. I doubt he got very far into his warmup routine at all.

That said, Girardi did kind of panic... but yeah, the guy entrusted with a 5 run lead in the 9th needs to throw strikes. Blame them both if it's worth blaming anyone at all.

Win probability was at 99%. They needed to score 5 times just to tie. No, its Girardi being way way way too cautious. Then of course Joba finished the game without giving up 5 runs.

Edit: You can agree with Girardi getting Mo up, but don't put the blame on Joba. Thats just dumb.
    FWIW, the Red Sox had a 99% chance of making it to the playoffs, at the beginning of Sept., in 2011.

FWIW, the Red Sox had a 99% chance of making it to the playoffs, at the beginning of Sept., in 2011.
    It's true, a 99% probability will go wrong once every hundred times. But you don't want to have Mariano warming up 100 times for that one time you're going to need him.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Triple Crown

I didn't think too much of Mo getting up in the 9th. While the odds are whatever they are, five run leads have been lost in one inning any number of times over the years. Not impossible to think Joba could blow it.

Quote Originally Posted by apalradio View Post
    I didn't think too much of Mo getting up in the 9th. While the odds are whatever they are, five run leads have been lost in one inning any number of times over the years. Not impossible to think Joba could blow it.
    Well ideally you'd like to not overwork your 40 year old closer. He should be used when the games are actually in danger. Not threatening to almost be close to in danger.

NYYF Triple Crown

Well ideally you'd like to not overwork your 40 year old closer. He should be used when the games are actually in danger. Not threatening to almost be close to in danger.
    The operative term is "ideally". Ideally, Joba would have pitched well enough for this to not even be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by apalradio View Post
    The operative term is "ideally". Ideally, Joba would have pitched well enough for this to not even be an issue.
    He wasn't pitching near poorly enough for Girardi to pre-emptively get Mo up, is the point. He walked 2 guys.

Thread Information