+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 27 FirstFirst ... 6 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 26 ... LastLast
Results 376 to 400 of 662
  1. #376

    Re: 2012 Joba Chamberlain Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by flymick24 View Post
    it's gonna be awesome when he signs with the white sox and cooper makes him a #1
    That's better lol

  2. #377

    Re: 2012 Joba Chamberlain Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by The Comic Book Guy View Post
    Maddening that Hughes has been given so many opportunities and yet they pull the plug on Joba as a SP after one full season.

    Hughes' stuff plays better than Joba's as a starter? Joba's has pretty much always had better stuff.

    Joba can be a dominant reliever? So can Hughes (see: 2009).

    Joba's an injury risk as a starter? Hughes has gotten hurt in 2007, 2008, 2011, and the 2012 postseason.

    There's just no logic behind it.
    A lot of the decision makers in sports are dinosaurs. Once a narrative is set, it takes something otherwordly to change it.
    "Owning the Yankees," Steinbrenner once said, "is like owning the Mona Lisa." [SIZE=1] [/SIZE]

  3. #378

    Re: 2012 Joba Chamberlain Performance Thread

    Joba drank (see 2009) and ate himself out of the rotation.

    It's not just a recent thing. Since he broke out of the minors, he showed up in camp heavier every season.

  4. #379

    Re: 2012 Joba Chamberlain Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by grizy View Post
    Joba drank (see 2009) and ate himself out of the rotation.

    It's not just a recent thing. Since he broke out of the minors, he showed up in camp heavier every season.
    He drank and ate himself out of the rotation??? WTF He was taken out of the rotation in a fake ST battle with Hughes. Cashman wanted to prove to everyone that Javy could pitch here so he brought him back only to see him bomb again.

    His weight thing in camp was overblown. There were non stop reports saying how big he looked and then when he took the mound he looked the same as he always did.

  5. #380
    Better than you teknetic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    NJ

    Re: 2012 Joba Chamberlain Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by grizy View Post
    Joba drank (see 2009) and ate himself out of the rotation.

    It's not just a recent thing. Since he broke out of the minors, he showed up in camp heavier every season.
    Uhh, pretty sure he lost his spot in the rotation after his shoulder injury.

  6. #381

    Re: 2012 Joba Chamberlain Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by grizy View Post
    Joba drank (see 2009) and ate himself out of the rotation.

    It's not just a recent thing. Since he broke out of the minors, he showed up in camp heavier every season.
    I dont agree with that but even if that was the case. They still need to develop the guy. Nobody ever said or thought that developing young players was easy.
    "Owning the Yankees," Steinbrenner once said, "is like owning the Mona Lisa." [SIZE=1] [/SIZE]

  7. #382
    Don't call it a comeback False1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Arizona

    Re: 2012 Joba Chamberlain Performance Thread

    By that logic should we start a CCTTP thread? I'm sure his lack of conditioning didn't garner him favor, but I dont think that's what knocked him out of the rotation.

  8. #383
    Addicted Member
    Petey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Long Island

    Re: 2012 Joba Chamberlain Performance Thread

    Forget Joba to the pen or to the rotation... JTTO!

  9. #384

    Re: 2012 Joba Chamberlain Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by b_joseph View Post
    I dont agree with that but even if that was the case. They still need to develop the guy. Nobody ever said or thought that developing young players was easy.
    The Yankees did. These clowns put 3 rookies in the rotation at the same time in NY of all places and were shocked when they didn't hit the ground running. Look at how much money they spent on CC and AJ in the 08 off season.

  10. #385
    Released Outright
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Equestria

    Re: 2012 Joba Chamberlain Performance Thread

    Girardi being an idiot? what a shocker

  11. #386

    Re: 2012 Joba Chamberlain Performance Thread

    I thought it was the perfect opportunity to stretch Joba back out after his surgery, and then the ankle thing happened (but the apparently did not have any plans to do so). And I thought the same thing heading into this off season given the age and some what frail nature of the starting rotation.

  12. #387
    Don't call it a comeback False1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Arizona

    Re: 2012 Joba Chamberlain Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by d32123 View Post
    Girardi being an idiot? what a shocker
    What is your overall beef with Girardi? He's not perfect, but he's good in many aspects of the role. Some of his moves over the last few years have seemed "idiotic" at the time, but I'd say that yes when he does something - or in this case, says something - that is off the wall I'd say that actually I am surprised.

  13. #388
    Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Too Close to Fenway

    Re: 2012 Joba Chamberlain Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by freebubba View Post
    I thought it was the perfect opportunity to stretch Joba back out after his surgery, and then the ankle thing happened (but the apparently did not have any plans to do so). And I thought the same thing heading into this off season given the age and some what frail nature of the starting rotation.
    I was a vocal advocate for Joba to the rotation up until last year, but at this point I'm not sure it makes sense any more. He hasn't even thrown 100 innings since 2009, and is a FA after the season. I think they're just looking to get value from him this year rather than invest in getting him back to being able to be a full time starter.

    Overall, it's a pretty sad story.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

  14. #389

    Re: 2012 Joba Chamberlain Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by d32123 View Post
    Girardi being an idiot? what a shocker
    I don't mind this comment at all, and it certainly wasn't Girardi being an idiot. He was basically saying, 'Look, we all want things. They're just not going to happen.'

    It's Joba's own fault, for a variety of reasons, he didn't become a starter. And to think that, after all these years, he could be a good one ... not so much. Just give us a full year of being a good reliever and I'll take it at this point.

  15. #390

    Re: 2012 Joba Chamberlain Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by OnTheBorder79 View Post
    I don't mind this comment at all, and it certainly wasn't Girardi being an idiot. He was basically saying, 'Look, we all want things. They're just not going to happen.'

    It's Joba's own fault, for a variety of reasons, he didn't become a starter. And to think that, after all these years, he could be a good one ... not so much. Just give us a full year of being a good reliever and I'll take it at this point.
    Actually it was a stupid comment by Girardi. Girardi is a 50 year old asshole, Joba is a 27 year old soon-to-be-free agent. This is, essentially, the manager of Joba saying that it is unrealistic for him to even imagine starting again because it will never happen. That is what the comparison to Girardi wanting to start 1 more game means, because we know Girardi will never play baseball again. Joba is in his prime! Absolutely asinine comment by Girardi.

    How is it Joba's fault? He pitched under the Yankees Joba Rules in 09, 2010 was finally going to be his chance to pitch with little to no limitation, and they stuck him in the pen after a sham competition. Meanwhile, Hughes gets 1 million chances. Nova can stink it up for an entire season worse than Joba ever pitched and still be in the mix.

    The Yankees are absolutely the reason Joba is not a starter, they gave up on him too fast. You'll take a nice relief year from Joba, sure, but some teams are going to get an above average starting pitcher next offseason and the Yankees are going to look like a dumb.

  16. #391
    Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Too Close to Fenway

    Re: 2012 Joba Chamberlain Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerkface View Post
    Actually it was a stupid comment by Girardi. Girardi is a 50 year old asshole, Joba is a 27 year old soon-to-be-free agent. This is, essentially, the manager of Joba saying that it is unrealistic for him to even imagine starting again because it will never happen. That is what the comparison to Girardi wanting to start 1 more game means, because we know Girardi will never play baseball again. Joba is in his prime! Absolutely asinine comment by Girardi.

    How is it Joba's fault? He pitched under the Yankees Joba Rules in 09, 2010 was finally going to be his chance to pitch with little to no limitation, and they stuck him in the pen after a sham competition. Meanwhile, Hughes gets 1 million chances. Nova can stink it up for an entire season worse than Joba ever pitched and still be in the mix.

    The Yankees are absolutely the reason Joba is not a starter, they gave up on him too fast. You'll take a nice relief year from Joba, sure, but some teams are going to get an above average starting pitcher next offseason and the Yankees are going to look like a dumb.
    I don't take Girardi's comment like that at all. Joba started something in the media that could be a long-term distraction to the team. Girardi shut it down. Some long-winded, nebulous answer is just going to keep this alive and potentially arise later in the season. Joba shouldn't have made that comment publically, and Girardi closed the topic. If this discussion took place privately, I'd imagine it would be handled differently. There's a big difference.

    I'm not happy with how Joba's tenure with the Yankees progressed, but this comment has nothing to do with that.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

  17. #392

    Re: 2012 Joba Chamberlain Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    I don't take Girardi's comment like that at all. Joba started something in the media that could be a long-term distraction to the team. Girardi shut it down. Some long-winded, nebulous answer is just going to keep this alive and potentially arise later in the season. Joba shouldn't have made that comment publically, and Girardi closed the topic. If this discussion took place privately, I'd imagine it would be handled differently. There's a big difference.
    The media asked him what his ultimate aspirations are. He said he thinks he is capable of starting. He didn't whine about not starting, or demand a starting job. How is Joba's comment out of line?

    Here is how you answer this without looking like a dick: "Joba has a lot of talent and we love his confidence, but we think he will help the team best in the bullpen."

  18. #393

    Re: 2012 Joba Chamberlain Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    I don't take Girardi's comment like that at all. Joba started something in the media that could be a long-term distraction to the team. Girardi shut it down. Some long-winded, nebulous answer is just going to keep this alive and potentially arise later in the season. Joba shouldn't have made that comment publically, and Girardi closed the topic. If this discussion took place privately, I'd imagine it would be handled differently. There's a big difference.

    I'm not happy with how Joba's tenure with the Yankees progressed, but this comment has nothing to do with that.
    How did Joba start something when he was asked a question and gave an honest answer. They asked him what was his ultimate aspiration. He voiced his open. The team has had pitchers both young and old b***h about only wanting to start but Joba never did. He always said I just want to help the team anyway I can.

    Quote Originally Posted by OnTheBorder79 View Post
    I don't mind this comment at all, and it certainly wasn't Girardi being an idiot. He was basically saying, 'Look, we all want things. They're just not going to happen.'

    It's Joba's own fault, for a variety of reasons, he didn't become a starter. And to think that, after all these years, he could be a good one ... not so much. Just give us a full year of being a good reliever and I'll take it at this point.
    Joe is a retired catcher and is never going to get the chance to catch unless it's on Old Timers day. Joe doesn't have the opportunity to catch because he doesn't have the skills, body, or age to do so. Joe's comments were dumb and Cash's were face palm worthy.

  19. #394
    Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Too Close to Fenway

    Re: 2012 Joba Chamberlain Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerkface View Post
    The media asked him if he thought he was capable of starting. He said he thinks he is capable. He didn't whine about not starting, or demand a starting job. How is Joba's comment out of line?

    Here is how you answer this without looking like a dick: "Joba has a lot of talent and we love his confidence, but we think he will help the team best in the bullpen."
    Joba wasn't asked if he was capable of starting. He was asked what he wanted to do. He could have handled it better. He knew what he was starting with his comment -- you can tell by his comment. Girardi shut it down. I really don't have any problem with what he did.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

  20. #395

    Re: 2012 Joba Chamberlain Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    Joba wasn't asked if he was capable of starting. He was asked what he wanted to do. He could have handled it better. He knew what he was starting with his comment -- you can tell by his comment. Girardi shut it down. I really don't have any problem with what he did.
    Asked what his ultimate aspiration is. If your 7th inning guys ultimate aspiration is 'middle reliever' you would probably question it. He said he can start or close. Those are pretty desirable career exits for a 7th inning guy. He was honest, and despite his insistence that he thinks he is capable of starting at no point did he whine that he wasn't doing it currently, or demand that he be put in that role.

    He also said he was going to do everything possible to help the team this year, so whats the problem? He got asked a question and answered honestly.

    Girardi's comment, meanwhile, was flip and stupid.

  21. #396

    Re: 2012 Joba Chamberlain Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    Joba wasn't asked if he was capable of starting. He was asked what he wanted to do. He could have handled it better. He knew what he was starting with his comment -- you can tell by his comment. Girardi shut it down. I really don't have any problem with what he did.
    He was asked what he aspires to be and gave his answer. He could have said I want to be a 7th inning guy from here on out and ppl would said atta boy he gets. No instead he said I feel I could still start.

    Joe is old and not good anymore. Hell there are going to be Yankee fans growing up that don't even remember him playing for the team.

  22. #397
    Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Too Close to Fenway

    Re: 2012 Joba Chamberlain Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingofkings19 View Post
    How did Joba start something when he was asked a question and gave an honest answer. They asked him what was his ultimate aspiration. He voiced his open. The team has had pitchers both young and old b***h about only wanting to start but Joba never did. He always said I just want to help the team anyway I can.

    Joe is a retired catcher and is never going to get the chance to catch unless it's on Old Timers day. Joe doesn't have the opportunity to catch because he doesn't have the skills, body, or age to do so. Joe's comments were dumb and Cash's were face palm worthy.
    “This is probably going to spark a bunch of stuff.”

    These guys know what they are doing when they speak to reporters. Joba clearly did.

    If you want to be angry about how Joba's career with the Yankees was handled, I'm certainly not going to argue. But this interaction isn't about that. Speaking to reporters isn't about voicing our innermost feelings and having open dialogue.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

  23. #398

    Re: 2012 Joba Chamberlain Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    “This is probably going to spark a bunch of stuff.”

    These guys know what they are doing when they speak to reporters. Joba clearly did.

    If you want to be angry about how Joba's career with the Yankees was handled, I'm certainly not going to argue. But this interaction isn't about that. Speaking to reporters isn't about voicing our innermost feelings and having open dialogue.
    But he didn't do that. He didn't gather a bunch of reporters around and hold court. He didn't do like some of his teammates and let it be known more than once he wants to start. This is the first time he has mentioned starting since ST 2010. He was honest about what he sees himself being. He even said I could close too. He never even said I want to start nothing else.

  24. #399
    Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Too Close to Fenway

    Re: 2012 Joba Chamberlain Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingofkings19 View Post
    But he didn't do that. He didn't gather a bunch of reporters around and hold court. He didn't do like some of his teammates and let it be known more than once he wants to start. This is the first time he has mentioned starting since ST 2010. He was honest about what he sees himself being. He even said I could close too. He never even said I want to start nothing else.
    He publically raised an issue with reporters he knew was going to cause controversy. Do I think he knew better? Yes. Do I think it's a huge issue? Not at all.

    But I also don't have an issue with Girardi's response -- he was just shutting down something he didn't want to continue. All the analysis of Girardi not being able to catch again or Joba's ability to start kind of misses the actual point.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

  25. #400

    Re: 2012 Joba Chamberlain Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    He publically raised an issue with reporters he knew was going to cause controversy. Do I think he knew better? Yes. Do I think it's a huge issue? Not at all.

    But I also don't have an issue with Girardi's response -- he was just shutting down something he didn't want to continue. All the analysis of Girardi not being able to catch again or Joba's ability to start kind of misses the actual point.
    If he wanted to shut it down all he had to say was: ever since Joba has been here he has done everything we have asked him to do and he's focused on doing his best this season and you love to make players with that mentality on your team.

    No "I would like to catch one day" You can't catch and you're retired. He basically compared Joba willing to start to a wish.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts