+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 12 ... LastLast

Re: 2012 Joba Chamberlain Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeesfan924 View Post
    Game started by Ivan Nova:

NoJoSoRoMo.
    Can we fit Cody Eppley in there? And Logan?

NoCoLoJoSoRoMo.

Hitting 97 already is great news. I figured he'd be tentative after such a long layoff and expected the velocity to gradually increase as he got more comfortable and his arm loosened up.

Cautiously optimistic he adds a few more ticks. Yummy.

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    I actually kinda wanna see Soriano come back next year (if he doesn't opt out) just for this reason.
    I know you're being facetious, but I've got both fingers crossed that he opts out.

1IP 2K in the GCL today

NYYF Legend

Hit 98

Bonerize...
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

NYYF Legend

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseba...ings-1.3843724
    Joba Chamberlain is ready for the next step and could pitch for the Class-A Florida State League Tampa Yankees Friday night in Bradenton.

"I think it's time to move," Chamberlain said Tuesday. "Not saying that these hitters aren't good, but they neccessarily don't have the plan that the guys at the upper levels have. Now I think it's just time to be able to take a step forward and take another step. To be able to get a high level and see what happens."

In his third GCL game Tuesday, Chamberlain struck out two during a perfect inning against Philadelphia minor leaguers. His fastball reached 98 mph, which surpassed the 97 he topped out at in both of his first two games.

"I thought everything was more consistent," Chamberlain said. "It was definitely better than the last couple." Chamberlain allowed one unearned run, no hits and has six strikeouts in four overall innings.

Austin Romine, coming back from a season-long back injury, caught Chamberlain.
    "He did a great job today," Chamberlain said of Romine. "In, out. Up and down. Being able to mix up pitches. We have to approach these guys like we're facing big-league guys. You've got to pitch the way you're going to pitch against guys in the big leagues."
    Can you imagine these Phillies' youngsters trying to hit him, with 98 MPH stuff and this kind of approach?

Triple digits upon his return

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eldee5 View Post
    http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseba...ings-1.3843724

Can you imagine these Phillies' youngsters trying to hit him, with 98 MPH stuff and this kind of approach?

I had a friend who played college baseball and got to face Clemens during ST. He was ecstatic that he fouled a ball off
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by jcarey View Post
    I know you're being facetious, but I've got both fingers crossed that he opts out.
    Really? There's no guaranty that Mo will be Mo next year, and Soriano would provide needed insurance. Just look at how nicely he's stepped into the role this year. He's been an elite reliever for most of his career. And who's to know what we get with the freed up money? We're just as likely to land another Pavano or AJ etc. as we are a Hamels. I'd rather the Yanks invest in a player that they'd know what kind of performance they'd be getting.

And if Mo is Mo and we still have Soriano? We'd have a potential lights-out pen next year, with a healthy (and good) Joba and DRob. Game over with a lead in the 5th.

Also, I might be wrong, but I think teketic was serious.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    I had a friend who played college baseball and got to face Clemens during ST. He was ecstatic that he fouled a ball off
    I played ball in a tournament against Jose Rijo (for those who remember him).
    He probably threw it in the low 90's....
    I had one at bat against him. Struck me out but not on 3 pitches.
    You shoulda seen the celebration when I foul tipped a ball and it didn't wind up in the catcher's mitt!!!
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by effdamets View Post
    I played ball in a tournament against Jose Rijo (for those who remember him).
    He probably threw it in the low 90's....
    I had one at bat against him. Struck me out but not on 3 pitches.
    You shoulda seen the celebration when I foul tipped a ball and it didn't wind up in the catcher's mitt!!!
    Who can forget a guy who made and was dropped off the hall of fame ballot not once but twice!
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    Really? There's no guaranty that Mo will be Mo next year, and Soriano would provide needed insurance. Just look at how nicely he's stepped into the role this year. He's been an elite reliever for most of his career. And who's to know what we get with the freed up money? We're just as likely to land another Pavano or AJ etc. as we are a Hamels. I'd rather the Yanks invest in a player that they'd know what kind of performance they'd be getting.

And if Mo is Mo and we still have Soriano? We'd have a potential lights-out pen next year, with a healthy (and good) Joba and DRob. Game over with a lead in the 5th.

A bullpen of D-Rob, Joba, Logan, Eppley, and Rivera is a solid enough core that could easily be rounded out without spending $14 million on Soriano, assuming everyone ends this season healthy. In addition, a guy like Montgomery, Tim Norton, or Pinder could take the D-Rob route to the majors and provide additional support. Finally, Cashman has proven he can find effective and cheap fill-ins like Bruney, Marte, and Wood.

I also don't know why you're acting like Soriano is a sure thing while bringing up the possibility of landing another Pavano with his freed up salary. Soriano has an injury history as well.

I agree that it would be cool to have a killer bullpen, but do you really want to hand the ball over to the bullpen in the 6th just because we can? He's been great, and I won't complain too much if he hangs around, but the money could almost certainly be better spent elsewhere.

NYYF Legend

So assuming no setbacks (big assumption) what is the ETA for Joba, next week when they return from the west coast? Or a bit longer?

He's already gone 2 innings in an outing. I'd guess the next hurdle is back to back days?
    Baseball is life;

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    So assuming no setbacks (big assumption) what is the ETA for Joba, next week when they return from the west coast? Or a bit longer?

He's already gone 2 innings in an outing. I'd guess the next hurdle is back to back days?
    I hope he faces some AA or AAA hitters before coming back. No real reason, just seems like an easier transition.

I don't expect to see him until around August 10th.
    Okay Hal and Brian, I might be a sucker, but you got 3 more years to fix it!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    I don't expect to see him until around August 10th.
    That would be right near the full 30 days. Didn't ca$hman say he wouldn't need the full 30?
    Baseball is life;

Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post

I don't really care either way. Joba/Ro/Mo is still pretty elite and it's easy to find guys that can come in and be excellent for a year or so before turning to duds. I never had a problem with Soriano's contract, I thought he was overpaid, but I didn't consider it to be a train-wreck. If he re-ups, woopty do, we'll just have to suffer with having another elite bullpen arm for extra year.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

That would be right near the full 30 days. Didn't ca$hman say he wouldn't need the full 30?
    I don't recall that. Given that he had TJ surgery and hasn't pitched in over a year, I think it's going to be close to the 30 days. The velocity isn't going to be as big a hurdle as his command.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

NYYF Legend

You called it correctly:
    http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2012/07/1...thout-gardner/
    • Joba Chamberlain is scheduled to make another rehab appearance tomorrow. “I think once we get him going back to back I think you’ll have a better idea (of when he’ll be activated),” Girardi said. “You want to see how he responds the second day. Those 30 days are ticking.”

NYYF Legend

• How rehabbing right-hander Joba Chamberlain responds to back-to-back outings is important, but not the final hurdle. Chamberlain is scheduled to throw in a Gulf Coast League game Friday.

"I don't think that would be the last test," manager Joe Giradi said Thursday. "Let's let the powers that be make that decision."

How the pitcher handles three games in four days is important too, Girardi said.
    http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/...k_nyy&c_id=nyy

Forum Regular

Joba actually pitched for Tampa tonight, and not the GCL Yankees.

2IP, 2H, 1BB, 1ER, 1HR, 1K, 32 pitches.

I'm not worried too much about the numbers, given that it really is spring training for him. I would be interested in any reports of how he looked overall and especially how it goes tomorrow. Its safe to say, obviously, that the GCL dominance over the first few outings doesn't mean there aren't going to be bumps going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Gator's Shadow View Post

I'm not worried too much about the numbers, given that it really is spring training for him. I would be interested in any reports of how he looked overall and especially how it goes tomorrow. Its safe to say, obviously, that the GCL dominance over the first few outings doesn't mean there aren't going to be bumps going forward.
    What did his stuff / velo look like?
    Mariano Rivera was so great he was able to close a Denny's.

Quote Originally Posted by theinfallibleone View Post
    what did his stuff / velo look like?
    102 mph.
    Last edited by Shadoux101; 07-20-12 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Kidding.
    You know they are not real pies, right?

"I heard Jackie Bradley junior was already voted to the ASG....for the next three years." - NerfBall55 4/4/2013

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Gator's Shadow View Post

On Rotoworld, I found this:

Joba Chamberlain (elbow, ankle) started and pitched two innings in a rehab assignment with High-A Tampa on Friday, allowing two runs (one earned) on two hits.

He also walked one and struck out one in the outing. He's looked very strong through his first four rehab appearances, consistently sitting in the high 90's with his fastball. At this rate, he's likely to return to the Yankees bullpen in early August. Jul. 20 - 8:29 pm et

Source: Erik Boland on Twitter

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shadoux101 View Post
    102 mph.
    Not that far off:
    Joba Chamberlain’s fastball was clocked at 100 mph, according to a speed gun at his rehab appearance Friday night in Bradenton, Fla.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/yanke...#ixzz21N8Dict2
    I really want to see how his slider is looking. Pitch was so nasty when he was first called up to the majors. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Omg 100!

Thread Information