+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Watching YES. Translation: The poor man's season ticket.

A little rant so bare with me. I live in Upstate NY and finding time and cash to go to the stadium is not an easy task, so my season ticket season after season usually is watching YES. Though I can't help but get a little irritated when people give me the, at least I have no lines to the bathroom, cheap beer BS talk. I mean I understand what they are saying, but at the same time, nothing beats walking into a stadium seeing your favorite players in person cheering with the rest of the fans and alot of other things. Anyone else ever been in this position?.

NYYF MVP

Re: Watching YES. Translation: The poor man's season ticket.

I mean, there's not much else people can say, other than "that sucks". Personally, I pay a pretty decent chunk of change every year for Extra Innings, so I'm afraid I can't muster a ton of sympathy.

Though to be honest I kind of like going to just 3-5 games a year. I feel like there are definitely some diminishing returns when it comes to watching games live.

Quote Originally Posted by Joltinmatt View Post
    A little rant so bare with me. I live in Upstate NY and finding time and cash to go to the stadium is not an easy task, so my season ticket season after season usually is watching YES. Though I can't help but get a little irritated when people give me the, at least I have no lines to the bathroom, cheap beer BS talk. I mean I understand what they are saying, but at the same time, nothing beats walking into a stadium seeing your favorite players in person cheering with the rest of the fans and alot of other things. Anyone else ever been in this position?.
    Are you complaining about people who are trying to make you feel better about not being able to get to games in person? What exactly is your point?

I don't know if it's an age thing, but I much prefer watching the game at home than going to the stadium. When you factor in the cost of tickets, transportation, and food, it's just not worth it. You're also at the mercy of the weather, which can ruin the entire experience sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by lolwut View Post
    I don't know if it's an age thing, but I much prefer watching the game at home than going to the stadium. When you factor in the cost of tickets, transportation, and food, it's just not worth it. You're also at the mercy of the weather, which can ruin the entire experience sometimes.
    I'm with you. It's not that I wouldn't go to the stadium if I was given tickets and parking like it's been done in the past, but I don't go out of my way like I used to. I'm good on the couch watching it at home.
    Thank you, 2013-2014 New York Rangers for a great season!

NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

Someone gave me free tickets a few years ago. Cost me over $100 between tolls, parking, food, etc, for two free tickets. SMH

Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

The whole nature of going to the stadium has changed. Even in the final years of the OYS, it took me like 40 minutes to an hour to get into my seat, an hour and half at most so I could plan on attending after a day of work or right after lunch.

Now, due to the logistics/traffic on the way to the stadium and the sheer size of the stadium itself, going to a Yankees game has become an all day event.

That's fun and cool the first few times with friends. But by the third/fourth trip, by myself, that got really old in a hurry.

Nowadays.... if I wanted to be in the presence of other Yankees fans. Bar+HDTV+beer... AC is bonus.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by grizy View Post
    The whole nature of going to the stadium has changed. Even in the final years of the OYS, it took me like 40 minutes to an hour to get into my seat, an hour and half at most so I could plan on attending after a day of work or right after lunch.

Now, due to the logistics/traffic on the way to the stadium and the sheer size of the stadium itself, going to a Yankees game has become an all day event.

That's fun and cool the first few times with friends. But by the third/fourth trip, by myself, that got really old in a hurry.

Nowadays.... if I wanted to be in the presence of other Yankees fans. Bar+HDTV+beer... AC is bonus.
    Other than the new parking garages (which now always have spaces available) the logistics/traffic really hasn't changed with the new stadium. If anything, with more people taking mass transit, it's gotten better. So I am confused on how the current logistics has made going to a game an all-day event? And how does the size of the stadium itself play into the duration conversation at all?

NYYF Legend

Going to Yankee game is a full days event. Watching it on TV gives me the chance to tend to my garden, cut the lawn, play around with my car(s) see my family and grandkids and save 200-$300

I'll go to YS 2-3 X a year. I'll have gone to Philly six times this year and have tickets for an August Oriole game and an August Nats game. This is in addition to 9 games during a ten ST trip in March.

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

For me, nothing beats going to a game. I live in Ocean County NJ and have kids that have reached an age where they are getting involved in all kinds of activities. If you have kids or had kids you know how that goes. You start being involved too, i.e. coaching etc. I have a 20 game plan that I split with a friend. Out of my 10 games I sold three to other friends, ate one (work got in the way of attending) and have only gone to one game so far. I'm jonesing big time. As the years progress, whether it be personal things or logistics I've had to do a lot more planning to go to games. Its been work but well worth it once I'm sitting in my seats taking in a game. Its something you've got to really enjoy doing because it is much easier to have the game on at home, be it TV or radio, and take care of things around the house.

What about those fans who got season tickets and CANT afford cable - just basic cable (local channels and so forth)? So having YES would be a luxury, no?

I guess they have different priority or maybe they are not?

It's never about what you know, it's who you know ..... and who's willing to help you to get where you want to be.

Perhaps my priorities are out of whack, but for me, air conditioning would be mandatory. The televised game would be a bonus...

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    Other than the new parking garages (which now always have spaces available) the logistics/traffic really hasn't changed with the new stadium. If anything, with more people taking mass transit, it's gotten better. So I am confused on how the current logistics has made going to a game an all-day event? And how does the size of the stadium itself play into the duration conversation at all?
    It could just be I don't get to go to afternoon games as much anymore.

New stadium just feels... "busier". I am not sure if that makes any sense, but that's how I feel.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Nome View Post
    Going to Yankee game is a full days event. Watching it on TV gives me the chance to tend to my garden, cut the lawn, play around with my car(s) see my family and grandkids and save 200-$300

I'll go to YS 2-3 X a year. I'll have gone to Philly six times this year and have tickets for an August Oriole game and an August Nats game. This is in addition to 9 games during a ten ST trip in March.

Andy
    . To me the hardest part of going to a Yankee game besides the out rages price of parking and food is the driving from New Jersey....too much stress for me! I let others drive when I go and hope the weather cooperates.

I agree too about going to a game is an all day event. Coming from Long Island, I take the LIRR to the subway, it takes about an hour and a half each way to get to the stadium. I refuse to pay the $25/$35 for parking plus, tolls, gas etc. I still go to about 15-20 games a year but I think that is going to change next year. I find myself coming home often and feeling like I wasted a lot of money and my day off (it hurts even more after a Yankee loss). The stadium atmosphere has been on a very slippery slope in the new stadium.

You are better off sitting at home with a few friends watching the game and saving a couple hundred for a vacation to a tropical island.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by yankeesfanatic View Post
    What about those fans who got season tickets and CANT afford cable - just basic cable (local channels and so forth)? So having YES would be a luxury, no?

I guess they have different priority or maybe they are not?

If a fan can afford a season ticket package, they can probably afford the cheapest cable package above "broadcast basic." If not, cancel the ticket plan and that would free up enough $ for the cable package.

It could just be I don't get to go to afternoon games as much anymore.

New stadium just feels... "busier". I am not sure if that makes any sense, but that's how I feel.
    I agree. Of course, it doesn't make the day longer as the gates still open two hours prior . . . but it does "feel" longer. But the fact that it doesn't take 45 minutes to exit the stadium helps a little.

Quote Originally Posted by LTRAIN View Post
    I agree too about going to a game is an all day event. Coming from Long Island, I take the LIRR to the subway, it takes about an hour and a half each way to get to the stadium. I refuse to pay the $25/$35 for parking plus, tolls, gas etc. I still go to about 15-20 games a year but I think that is going to change next year. I find myself coming home often and feeling like I wasted a lot of money and my day off (it hurts even more after a Yankee loss). The stadium atmosphere has been on a very slippery slope in the new stadium.

You are better off sitting at home with a few friends watching the game and saving a couple hundred for a vacation to a tropical island.
    Totally agree. I used to go to 15-20 games - now I'm targeting 3-5. Thats enough to get my in-person fix. I too really like the amount of time I've gotten back on my days off.

I have no desire to go to the "new" Yankee Stadium... but on the other hand YES could have been so much more than what they are.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    I have no desire to go to the "new" Yankee Stadium... but on the other hand YES could have been so much more than what they are.
    While the other programming isn't perfect, the pre/post and game coverage is top-notch.

YES coverage is one of the best, especially their camera work, which I think is second to none.

How could they be so much better?

NYYF Cy Young

I go to the Stadium for a ton of games- maybe 25 a year- but a lot of it is because I have a really good setup with transportation and seats.

I live in Westchester and work in NYC, so with my monthly Metro North ticket I need for work I can get to Yankee Stadium for any game for free, and the train will take me home for free as well. My seats are in the back of the main level on the first base side, and while I know the front has a better view, the back makes me guarantee I will not have to worry about rain or even the hot sun. Since I go to so many games, I'll save money and get a Subway sandwich for $5, a water for maybe $2 and that's it. While I do need to budget for my Friday partial plan (although my tax refund usually covers it), I am able to get a bunch of really cheap tixx on Stubhub, and the price for food and transportation is less than the price of a movie ticket.

If I didn't have this setup, I'm sure I'd go to a lot less games as well. I've seen the parking lot prices and the traffic on the Deegan and I sure don't envy it. For me it's a stress free way to spend a Friday night with friends and/or my fiancee.

Quote Originally Posted by Principessa21 View Post
    YES coverage is one of the best, especially their camera work, which I think is second to none.

How could they be so much better?
    I wasn't talking about their game production. It's how they fill the rest of the time that's mostly been a disappointment.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

It wasn't a stab at YES, more so the ads that tell the viewer everything about what's at the Stadium and stuff, it's that so close yet so far kind of thinking. Though after reading alot of these posts, it makes me come to realization the whole greener on the other side deal in regards to transportation and weather. Though being at the game in person means no Michael commentating.

I wasn't talking about their game production. It's how they fill the rest of the time that's mostly been a disappointment.
    Oh ok, sorry. Unfortunately I live out of the area so I don't watch too much YES. Carry on, carry on.

I had a season ticket plan since 2007. This year I only took a 9 game plan which I was able to sell every game to. Opening Day I stayed at the bars since I had sold all my tickets thinking prices would drop which they didn't. I've only been to 3 other games. One was a game that a friend got ridiculously nice work seats for. Another was a Saturday afternoon in May where a friend threw a huge tailgate and the last was a week and a half ago vs the Indians. I used to go to 15-20 games a year but I've cut back big time this year.

The price of parking in the lot I usually use going back to $25 helps but gas, tolls, etc. kill. Also the price of beer inside is awful. I try to avoid buying tons of stuff inside but still the game the friend brought me too I felt I should buy a round of beers. $40 for the beer, $35 to park, gas, tolls and I'm over $100 and I had a free ticket.

I'd Rather Play Calvinball NyQuil's Avatar

I prefer watching the games in person but I live over 400 miles away so YES works just fine for me.
    I'm in your thread, stealing RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees' identity.

Quote Originally Posted by 4bronxbombers
    Well....I am a total bacon whore...

Thread Information