View Poll Results: Should The Voted Position Players Automatically Play A Majority Of The All-Star Game?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, because the fans want them to

3 16.67%
  • No, the manager should do what he wants to win the game

15 83.33%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Should The Voted Position Players Automatically Play A Majority Of The All-Star G

No. I like the fact that everyone gets to play. The game shouldn't count.

I do understand some wanting the "best of the best" players to play most of the games, but the starter voted in by the fans isn't necessarily the best player

NYYF Legend

110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

Re: Should The Voted Position Players Automatically Play A Majority Of The All-Star G

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    I don't understand all the hate. I really enjoy and look forward to the ASG. The time off from real baseball sort of sucks but the HR Derby and game are both extremely entertaining.
    I don't mind it either and it was a blast being there when it was at YS, even though I got home at about 3:30am.

I don't mind the Home Run Derby either....

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    I have no use for this exhibition game. The fact that Selig is trying to force importance to it makes me like it even less.
    Well said. Does any other professional sport have an exhibition game determine where a playoff game or series is located ?
    Roger Maris = single season "natural" home-run record-holder.

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

I absolutely love the All-Star game. I know I am in the minority. When I was a kid in the late 60s, that was the only time you got to see Gibson, Marichal, Drysdale, Kaline, Mays all together. When the A.L. finally won in 71 I was elated.
    We toast to the old days and DiMaggio too,
    Billy Martin and Mantle, Whitey Ford and to you

R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar
    Formerly Brooklyn & Joisey; now just right behind you ... BOO!!!

If you've got 8 guys at SS and 3 at 3B, then it's obvious that the starting 3Bman can play 3-4 innings, as opposed to the starting SS being removed after 2 innings.

If the starting position player (like the starting pitcher (HeLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOO Justin Verlander)) gets his arse handed to him by dropping fly balls or letting meatballs go past him, then I'd say it's best that he warm the dugout bench.
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

Thread Information