+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

2012 Darnell McDonald performance thread

"Update: Yankees claim Darnell McDonald off waivers from Red Sox
    By Mike Axisa
    The Yankees have claimed Darnell McDonald off waivers from the Red Sox, who cut him over the weekend. McDonald first broke the news on his Twitter feed and the team has since confirmed the move. Heíll will join the Yankees in Fenway Park on Friday and thatís when the team will make the corresponding 25-man roster move. To make room on the 40-man roster, the recently claimed Chris Schwinden was designated for assignment.

McDonald, 33, has hit just .214/.309/.369 in 99 plate appearances for the Red Sox this year but over the last three seasons heís hit a respectable .252/.323/.413. He does most of his damage against southpaws, owning a .277/.345/.441 batting line against left-handers in his career. McDonald can play all three outfield spots well enough and is out of options, meaning he canít be sent to the minors without first clearing waivers. I hope this doesnít mean Brett Gardnerís elbow injury isnít healing well or something.

The Yankees can send David Phelps down following todayís start since CC Sabathia is coming back after the All-Star break, which means theyíd have a five-man bench for the Red Sox series. Itís worth noting that Boston is scheduled to start three left-handed pitchers ó Jon Lester, Franklin Morales, and Felix Doubront ó this weekend. ∑ (23)
    "

RAB
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdvM0IB5Sbs

MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGGRESSIVE

Released Outright

Re: 2012 Darnell McDonald performance thread

Solid acquisition. Me gusta.

Lol..

He's a poor man's DeWayne Wise.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Addicted Member

Considering that he was a two sport athelete coming out of HS, and that he throws and bats RH, why he was never tried at 3B or 1B? He would have been a better and cheaper option than 2 years of Nick Punto. He can also throw/pitch an inning.

Happy Summer!! b-ball-lunachick's Avatar

Is Dickerson still injured? Surely he's a better option than this...
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" ...Frank Costanza

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ieddyi View Post
    "Update: Yankees claim Darnell McDonald off waivers from Red Sox
    By Mike Axisa
    The Yankees have claimed Darnell McDonald off waivers from the Red Sox, who cut him over the weekend. McDonald first broke the news on his Twitter feed and the team has since confirmed the move. Heíll will join the Yankees in Fenway Park on Friday and thatís when the team will make the corresponding 25-man roster move. To make room on the 40-man roster, the recently claimed Chris Schwinden was designated for assignment.

McDonald, 33, has hit just .214/.309/.369 in 99 plate appearances for the Red Sox this year but over the last three seasons heís hit a respectable .252/.323/.413. He does most of his damage against southpaws, owning a .277/.345/.441 batting line against left-handers in his career. McDonald can play all three outfield spots well enough and is out of options, meaning he canít be sent to the minors without first clearing waivers. I hope this doesnít mean Brett Gardnerís elbow injury isnít healing well or something.

The Yankees can send David Phelps down following todayís start since CC Sabathia is coming back after the All-Star break, which means theyíd have a five-man bench for the Red Sox series. Itís worth noting that Boston is scheduled to start three left-handed pitchers ó Jon Lester, Franklin Morales, and Felix Doubront ó this weekend. ∑ (23)
    "

RAB
    Someone who's been posting here since 2004 ought to know how to post a link, and how to use quote formatting for quotes. Even Schilling learned it after I called him on it.

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    Someone who's been posting here since 2004 ought to know how to post a link, and how to use quote formatting for quotes. Even Schilling learned it after I called him on it.

"There's a lot of things that ought to be"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdvM0IB5Sbs

MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGGRESSIVE

NYYF Legend

really dont understand this, Wise has been hitting pretty good last few days and McDonald will likely take Wise' spot on the 25 man roster. Either way when Gardner comes back we'd DFA him too
    The real reason why the Yankees keep winning is cause the other team can't stop staring at the damn pinstripes

Read the thread and you would understand.

And don't you think that a cheap signing is worth improving the team for four games, including a double header, against the Sox? This is what good GMs do.

Quote Originally Posted by b-ball-lunachick View Post
    Is Dickerson still injured? Surely he's a better option than this...
    Dickerson bats from the left side. He is not a better option.

NYYF Legend

Decent move as long as Wise stays on the team. Sending Phelps down does make sense since he would not be needed in the rotation for another week and a half.

May this thread be painfully short

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by BronxYanks45 View Post
    really dont understand this, Wise has been hitting pretty good last few days and McDonald will likely take Wise' spot on the 25 man roster. Either way when Gardner comes back we'd DFA him too
    I agree. I was wondering if this meant that Andrew Jones would be in jeopardy of losing his job. The way that Wise is playing I doubt he would be the one going.

NYYF Legend

This move is probably for just the 4 games this weekend against the Sox. I believe we are facing 3 lefties, and this guy hits lefties. He is a good fielder, so he will be an improvement over Nix in LF, and allow Jones to DH and not have to run around the OF. Besides, McDonald is probably very familiar with the "Wall" in LF in Fenway, and that can't hurt at all.

Why did I think Darnell McDonald was young?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    He's a poor man's DeWayne Wise.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Legend

He's not even as good a pitcher as Wise.

On May 6th, 2012, McDonald came in to pitch the top of the 17th inning against the Baltimore Orioles. He walked two, gave up a double and allowed a three-run home run by Adam Jones before retiring fellow position player pitcher of the game, Chris Davis. McDonald committed a double play before becoming the losing pitcher when Boston lost 6-9 in 17 innings. McDonald had made only one previous relief appearance in his career, during the 2011 season, in which he posted a no decision.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darnell_McDonald

From sosh:

Maybe I'm a natural optimist, but I have a feeling Darnell's going to troll the Sox at least once this weekend.

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tim2nyy View Post
    Maybe I'm a natural optimist, but I have a feeling Darnell's going to troll the Sox at least once this weekend.
    That would be beautiful. With three lefties going after tonight, I am sure he will get a start.
    We toast to the old days and DiMaggio too,
    Billy Martin and Mantle, Whitey Ford and to you

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    From sosh:

OK, I'll be the first to admit I don't know what this is.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

It's his dreads.

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    It's his dreads.
    Got it.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Thread Information